NC - Loving father or abusive parent, spouse? Tales conflict in suspicious dog-leash death

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Durham Judge Tosses “Missing” Gold and Other Evidence From Bishop Case

Some of the most tantalizing evidence in Durham’s most sensational homicide case – the “missing” gold, the “suspicious” internet searches and statements that were supposedly contradictory – has been struck by a Superior Court judge.

In a previously unreported filing in the case against Alexander Bishop, a Durham teenager accused of killing his father, Judge Orlando F. Hudson Jr. on Oct. 8 detailed which evidence will be tossed because the lead investigator’s statements to get in search warrants were false or were in “reckless disregard of the truth.” Hudson made an initial ruling in September but had not specified the evidence until this ruling.

In the new filing, Hudson sharply criticized lead investigator Tony Huelsman, even accusing him of “invent[ing] facts.”
[.....]
Prosecutors have moved to appeal this order, according to court documents.
[.....]
“Missing gold”
Hudson’s rebuke of Huelsman was strongest in his “attitude toward truth and falsity” surrounding the “missing gold.”
[.....]
One problem: that purchase order showed William sold the gold in 2016, not bought it.
[.....]
Many Alexander Bishop statements, including ‘He felt relieved that his father was gone’
In "all of" of Huelsman's applications to get search warrants, he claimed that Alexander Bishop wanted to talk with the EMS supervisor "alone and away from the police," according to Hudson’s filing.

He also claimed that Alexander had told the EMS supervisor that "he wasn't going to be upset about his father dying."

Those statements are now gone. Why? They weren’t real, Hudson wrote.
[.....]
‘Suspicious’ internet searches
In search warrant applications for Sharon Bishop's home and Alexander's computer, Huelsman had described "suspicious" search history on Alexander's cellphone after his father's death.

Those included searches for "financial information, how to calculate the value of an estate, the value of the price of gold per ounce, and how to transfer bank accounts after death.” In search warrants after these, Huelsman made the same allegations, but cut a sentence making clear that Alexander had made these searches after Bill died.

Huelsman "intentionally deleted the sentence regarding the timing of the searches," Hudson wrote.

Boy - this investigator sure screwed up a bunch of stuff in the search warrants.... I don't believe this kid killed his father!

@borndem - it's been about a week - anything "new" in the court site? :) TIA!

Do people write mean obituaries?

The answer to this (older) question appears to be "Well, yes... but probably not if they don't want them to go viral":

This may be the most brutal, honest obituary ever - CNN

"Leslie Ray 'Popeye' Charping was born in Galveston on November 20, 1942 and passed away January 30, 2017, which was 29 years longer than expected and much longer than he deserved."

(More at the above link, btw. Muuuuuuch more. :(:eek:)

So if the widow wanted to lay low under the radar, she'd probably keep sweet.

Hey @borndem - mans draugs! :)

Anything happening with this case? Did they let him go free?

Can you tell I'm going thru some of my "oldie" cases? I'll probably be "tagging" you for some others later. :p

TIA!
animated-smileys-waving-003.gif

Nothing on the docket, if I searched it right.
I can't find any more recent articles.
No sign of an outcome for the state's appeal, probably isn't one.
He is not incarcerated so I presume he is still out on bond.
I like his attorney a lot, she is Sharp. :p:D

Bumping up @borndem - hope you had a very Merry Christmas mans draugs! :)

Anything new on this case? TIA!
animated-smileys-waving-003.gif

Hi, mans draugs!
Hoping you had Happy Holidays (Merry Christmas to you!) as well!

Laimīgu Jauno gadu!! ...............or something close!

Neko on the Durham County docket. Nothing at all.

I did check MSM and saw this article - it's not recent, but I hadn't seen it 'til now. It's got a few things in it that I have not seen before, but that could be just me.

Judge Accuses Investigator of “Inventing Facts” in Case of Durham Teen Accused of Killing Father

by Ben Leonard
Oct. 29, 2019 8:30 a.m.
Editor’s note: This story was produced through a partnership between the INDY and The 9th Street Journal, which is published by journalism students at Duke University’s DeWitt Wallace Center for Media & Democracy.
Earlier this month, a Durham County Superior Court judge detailed his reasons for throwing out some of the most tantalizing evidence in the city’s most sensational homicide case—and accused a police investigator of “invent[ing] facts.”
In an October 8 filing first reported by the INDY and The 9th Street Journal, Judge Orlando F. Hudson wrote that he had suppressed evidence against Alexander Bishop, a teenager accused of strangling his wealthy father last year, because the statements lead investigator Tony Huelsman gave when applying for search warrants were made “in reckless disregard of the truth.”
More here:
Judge Accuses Investigator of “Inventing Facts” in Case of Durham Teen Accused of Killing Father

Thanks for the "no" update on court hearings. I've seen that article before - and have notes on it - but thanks!

Tev arī laimīgu Jauno gadu!!
animated-smileys-new-years-eve-014.gif

A defense attorney has leveled a new allegation that prosecutors made serious missteps in the case against Alexander Bishop, a Durham teenager accused of killing his wealthy father, Bill Bishop.

This time, Bishop’s attorney Allyn Sharp accused Durham County District Attorney Satana Deberry of destroying evidence, making misrepresentations to the court, violating a discovery order, and intentionally withholding evidence that would damage the case against Alexander. ”

I recommend reading the December article under this one as well.

Question - if anyone knows - did they have a hearing on Jan. 24, the date of the article? Or she just filed a motion? To me - from the article - sounds like they were in court.

TIA if you know! :)

Here's WRAL - local:

Local News

Charge dropped against Durham teen accused of killing father

Posted 33 minutes ago
Durham, N.C. — Durham County prosecutors on Thursday dismissed a murder charge against a teen accused of killing his father two years ago.

More here:
Charge dropped against Durham teen accused of killing father :: WRAL.com
Bill Bishop, 59, a prominent developer in the Tampa area, was found unconscious in his Durham mansion on Dover Road on April 18, 2018. He died in a local hospital two days later.

Alexander Bishop, who was 16 at the time, was arrested a year ago and charged in his father's death.

And another:

Murder charge dismissed against Durham teen accused of killing father in 2018
Updated 6 minutes ago
DURHAM, N.C. (WTVD) -- The Durham district attorney dismissed on Thursday a murder charge against a teen accused of killing his father in 2018, according to the teen's defense attorney.

Alexander Bishop, then 16, had been charged in the high-profile death of Durham developer William Leslie Bishop, who was also a prominent figure in the Tampa Bay, Florida, area.

The DA's office dropped the charge, citing insufficient evidence to prosecute.
More here:
Murder charge dismissed against Durham teen accused of killing father in 2018

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cases