NC - MacDonald family murders at Fort Bragg, 1970 - Jeffrey MacDonald innocent?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
On the stand MacDonald's testimony was that he realized he had no control over what McGinniss would write and had no basis for an assumption that McGinnis would write him as being innocent. In fact, upon being presented with the releases he signed (2 of them), he conceded he assumed what would be written, but McGinnis never said or promised what 'spin' the book would take and never said he would "write him as innocent." McGinniss's testimony was that he made no promises and couldn't know which way the book would go because at the time of the agreement the trial had not happened yet and he didn't have the info he eventually got.

The jury could not decide and the case was eventually settled out of court. The $$$ MacDonald got was in-line with what he would have gotten anyway from the royalties.

It should be pointed out that MacDonald signed a contractual agreement, giving McGinniss free reign to write the book as he wished; MacDonald was to have no influence over the content nor could he sue after it was published. So in filing the lawsuit (which was for fraud, not libel), MacDonald was in direct violation of the agreement. The jury hung on the first question and McGinniss decided to settle in order to avoid a lengthy battle and court costs. And yes, the money for the settlement came from the publisher of the book, money that MacDonald would have received anyway (but considerably less since he jumped on a smaller amount as he needed money for his appeals). Freddy and Mildred Kassab then sued MacDonald and won.

So, yes, Madeline74, you are right. MacDonald did not really win anything, nor was McGinniss found liable.

MacDonald's motive is that he was a possessive cheater who was also a narcissist. If he couldn't completely control his family, then they would have to die because of his rage. Helena Stoeckly was an drugged up hippie, incapable of that level of violence. She's also an unreliable witness. Maybe she did enter the house, but that has no bearing on McDonald brutally killing his family. This was one of the first true crime books I read when I was younger. I believe the author over McDonald.

Co-sign. Also, given that it was a domestic-related homicide, the motives in those cases aren't always clear. I think Freddy Kassab put it best - he said the intruders were Colette, Kimberley, Kristen and the unborn baby boy. They were in the way of the swinging bachelor lifestyle that MacDonald wanted. Once they were gone, he couldn't wait to get rid of everything that belonged to them and leave for California. He never visited the graves once, showed no interest in finding the killers, and let's not forget his appearance on The Dick Cavett Show a mere six months after the murders. He did not act like someone who had lost his family to murder. He acted like the self-serving narcissist that he is.

RIP Joe McGinniss and Freddy Kassab. Thank you for all you did to expose the truth and to keep MacDonald behind bars where he belongs.

Fox's decision on MacDonald's motion asking that Fox alter or amend his July 24, 2014 judgment is online. Motion DENIED, just as many of us suspected it would be:

http://www.crimearchives.net/1979_ma...s/uploads.html

Considering this case is the most litigated murder case in history coupled with the pending 2012 evidentiary hearing/release of Errol Morris' book, the media began to focus on whether MacDonald was some kind of tortured innocent. It was clear, however, that the media entities expousing this narrative had NO idea or interest in the facts of this case.

Once the Government presented their case at the 2012 evidentiary hearing, most of the reporters left North Carolina in a huff. It was clear to anyone with a sliver of critical thought that this case was open and shut. At the 1979 trial, the prosecution presented over 1,100 evidentiary items, MacDonald's performance on cross was nightmarish, and the 2006 DNA test results were further proof of his guilt.

Jeffrey MacDonald is a coward, a child killer, a mass murderer, and a psychopath. If there is such a thing as justice, he will spend the rest of his miserable life in prison.

http://www.macdonaldcasefacts.com

Too bad they don't have hard labor any more.

How long is this man going to live? I thought most people died earlier in prison.

ETA: False Witness is on Hulu. No, I haven't watched it and not sure I will, but it is there.

STEPHANIE: In terms of watching False Witness, don't bother. This 1989 documentary is a mess. The only interesting things in the documentary is an interview with Paul Stombaugh and clips from MacDonald's 1979 hypnosis session.

www.macdonaldcasefacts.com

Ugg.....I wish this guy would just go away, he's so disgusting.

Does anyone know if he's still married or did he use up all of her available resources?

MacDonald is still married to Kathryn and she compliments her psychopatic husband in every way. Kathryn has been arrested several times in the past 4 years for crimes such as Theft and a DUI. She has spouted MacDonald Is Innocent propaganda to anyone who will listen and she is notorious for distorting the documented record. During her husband's 2005 parole hearing, Colette's brother looked her in the eye and called her a Strip Mall Queen. Kathryn and her husband also denied MacDonald's brother/sister their rightful share of their mother's estate. For whatever reason, Perry MacDonald made her child killing son the executor of her estate with the agreement that he would care for his siblings. That didn't happen and MacDonald has used the money to pay for his legal fees.

Thanks for the update murtagh.....I don't follow this slime ball anymore as I grew tired of listening to his bluster. I had no idea about the estate but I'm really not surprised at all!

Yes, I think it was the 2nd. or 3rd. True Crime book I read, the first being Helter Skelter, but this one hooked me. A true classic I have re-read it multiple times since-still have my orignal hardcover copy.

I also met MacDonald in the 70's when he was working in Long Beach where I grew up. In fact, he was Emergency Room director of the hospital I was born in, although that had nothing to do with meeting him. I was dating an Arson Investigator for the LBFD, who worked closely with the LBPD due to the nature of his job. The Cops just loved "Dr Jeff". The guy I dated insisted he could not have committed this crime and I had not heard anything really about the case at that time. MacDonald was a good looking doctor that many women found charming, but I have to say, honestly, even then I got a strong "sleaze" vibe from him. I might think that was just hindsight, but I remember my date being offended that I didn't seem to think too much of his buddy. The LBPD officers raised a lot of money for his defense when he was finally charged.

Of course a few years later I read "Fatal Vision" and there was no going back. I read the rebuttal book too "Fatal Justice" Nice try, no cigar.

The man is guilty as sin, but he will never, ever admit it, of course.

Interesting story! Thanks for sharing it. Did you set your then-boyfriend straight that only a complete sociopath could live through (or commit) this tragedy/crime and still be charming to all the women and friends with all the guys?!

I always worried that after Freddie Kassab passed away, McDonald would get out. Kudos to Collette's brother and other family for their follow-through!

MacDonald's motive is that he was a possessive cheater who was also a narcissist. If he couldn't completely control his family, then they would have to die because of his rage. Helena Stoeckly was an drugged up hippie, incapable of that level of violence. She's also an unreliable witness. Maybe she did enter the house, but that has no bearing on McDonald brutally killing his family. This was one of the first true crime books I read when I was younger. I believe the author over McDonald.

Excellent points! HS was also well known to be mentally ill.

Also diet pills in the 60's and 70's were amphetamines and nothing like what is available today. Add that drug and lack of sleep can make for a pretty frightening person. JM was working lots of shifts without sleep.

HS had no motive as far as that goes.

Judge Fox denied MacDonald's latest attempt at obtaining a new trial on 5/18/15. Despite the defense team's penchant for inflating the significance of the FBI's 2014 evaluation of microscopic hair analysis in this case, Judge Fox cut through inmate's shell game and concluded...

- 2006 DNA test results rendered Michael Malone's lone inappropriate statement irrelevant

- Robert Fram's lone inappropriate statement (e.g., the origin of the hair was Kimmie) was minimized by the fact that the hair matched the Mito DNA sequence of Kimmie, Kristen, and Colette

- Inmate "overstates the impact of Stombaugh's invalid statement." This statement was contained in 6 lines of testimony on cross

- The FBI reported that Stombaugh made no inappropriate statements on direct examination or in his lab notes

- The 6 lines of testimony did not have any direct connection to Stombaugh's Pajama Top Theory

- Shirley Green, not Stombaugh, created the "solution" for the Pajama Top Theory

- According to Judge Fox, the FBI report "is either irrelevant to the determination of the merits of MacDonald's claims or of minimal additional probative value."

- Despite the inclusion of the FBI report in the "evidence as a whole," Fox stated, "MacDonald still has not met his gatekeeping burden under 2255..."

- Fox added, "the court concludes that MacDonald still has failed to adequately establish the merits of any of his claims."

Hi Murtagh!

Great user name! Brian Murtagh is one of my heroes, for his diligence and devotion to making sure JM stays behind bars, not to mention the encyclopedic knowledge he has about this case. He's the kind of advocate every victim of a heinous crime would want. I so love that he continues to get under MacDonald's skin in a big way.

I'm curious about your thoughts on the "confessions" of not only Helena Stockley but her druggie boyfriend, who eventually died of drugs. In the documentary there were interviews with 2 or 3 people who say this guy confessed to the crimes (to them) and seemed really haunted and upset about it. Allegedly he spray painted a confession on a wall of a place he was staying (the owner was one of the people interviewed) in addition to statements he made that he was there and did the murders, saying it got out of hand.

Of course I immediately think, "where's the evidence of them in the apartment?" "how did the blue pajama top end up on Collette with 42 puncture holes lining up with her wounds and done while the pajama top was laid on her?" "what about the rubber glove pieces found under the headboard?"

The evidence that we know about doesn't really match the 'intruder' theory. And yet, what a coincidence that Helena Stockley claimed to answer a phone at MacDonald's house and laughing, and then someone else unrelated to her, said he called the MacDonald house but the hospital had given him the wrong MacDonald (there were 2) and when he called he heard a woman laughing hysterically and heard her being told to hang up the phone. Those are the kind of weird reports that I don't know how to interpret so I've mostly ignored them, but I did rewatch the documentary on Hulu the other night and came away wondering about those peripheral people and what was true about any of them.

MADELEINE: In regards to Stoeckley's confessions, it is important to note that the first time that Stoeckley attempted to insert herself into this case was on February 19, 1970. Pat Reese was a well respected newspaper reporter for the Fayetteville Observer and through his work as a drug counselor, he was aware of Stoeckley and her group of friends. Stoeckley told Reese that she had no memory of her whereabouts on February 17th due to her excessive drug use. This version of events was the only story that Stoeckley would repeat in the next 13 years. The rest of Stoeckley's stories were all over the map with each story adding/subtracting details from prior confessions.

Stoeckley's story about picking up the phone at the MacDonald residence was in one of her latter confessions and Ted Gunderson was the most likely source of that singular claim. Jimmy Friar's claim that he called the MacDonald residence during the morning hours of February 17th, was first put forth to MacDonald attorney Wade Smith during the 1979 trial. Smith, however, found Friar to be an unreliable reporter and decided not to call him as a witness at trial. During subsequent appeals, the defense has attempted to morph Friar into a reliable reporter, but the appellate courts have found Friar's claims to be dubious.

In terms of the alleged confessions of Greg Mitchell, there are two scenarios in play. The first is Mitchell's failing health in the early 80's due to chronic substance dependence. His deteriorating health led to extreme paranoia and a penchant for fabrication. The 2nd scenario are claims which have been deemed to be false. For example, the claim by Ms. Cannady that someone matching Greg Mitchell's description painted a message on a barn wall stating I Killed The MacDonald Family. Cannady never reported this incident to law enforcement, and to make matters worse, she embellished this story during an interview for the documentary False Witness. Cannady claimed that the message was not written in paint, but in BLOOD!

The only relevant information regarding Mitchell's potential involvement in this crime is as follows:

- Mitchell's DNA was not found at the crime scene

- Mitchell's fingerprints were not found at the crime scene

- Mitchell's hair was not found at the crime scene

- In 1971, Mitchell was investigated and cleared by the CID

- In 1971, Mitchell passed a polygraph exam administered by the CID

- In 1981, Mitchell was investigated and cleared by the FBI

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors