Found Deceased NC - Maddox Ritch, 6 w/Autism, Gastonia, 22 Sept 2018 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does it feel like some people actually want the father to be guilty? <modsnip Leave FB on FB>
Yes, they had searched that area multiple times today and previously. The chief said it toook someone actually walking down the middle of the creek to be able to see him.
They also said that so far, everything they were told matches up to the movement.
I believe camouflaged was a poor choice of words.
I also have complete faith that the autopsy and investigation will provide closure. I am heartbroken for the parents.

Last edited by a moderator:
This video might help those of you not familiar with this area or lake/park. Notice at the 6:20 mark on the right side of the screen you can see Long Creek and just how insane it would have to be for that child to "wander" that far away unnoticed.

FWIW My high functioning autistic son zipped away and I lost sight of him briefly in a store, and my heart just about stopped. It happened in a split second. From then on, I hooked him to me with those child harnesses. Up until his mid-teens, I still had him hooked to me when we would leave the park after fireworks on the 4th of July because of the crowds and the dark. They can zip away so fast. I have 4 kids, and now 2 grandbabies. I've chased after kids. I know how fast they can go. Plus this guy was worried about his son being in the dark alone, and his son not eating or drinking. I'm not feeling suspicious about him right now. Just sad. So sad.

Why does it feel like some people actually want the father to be guilty? It’s really ugly on Facebook. Some people are actually confronting his mother on her page for some toys she listed for sale over a week ago.
Yes, they had searched that area multiple times today and previously. The chief said it toook someone actually walking down the middle of the creek to be able to see him.
They also said that so far, everything they were told matches up to the movement.
I believe camouflaged was a poor choice of words.
I also have complete faith that the autopsy and investigation will provide closure. I am heartbroken for the parents.

I understand your concern about people already blaming the father. Honestly I pray he is innocent. That said, his story just doesn't add up. Yes, they searched that area multiple times prior BUT ....who's to say that who ever murdered him (if that's the case) didn't tie him down in an effort to keep his body hidden. Then six days later the body releases gasess causing him to float some what out of the water? I don't mean to sound horrid but that's a possibility. The father and his "friend" could have easily dropped his body off prior to going to the park, then have a perfectly good excuse as to why he ended up 2 miles down a Creek six days later. It is possible. As evil as people are now a days I wouldn't eliminate any possibility until I had proven otherwise. I just can't believe the "out running" the dad and "friend" part.

Has anyone seen or heard of any witnesses coming forward? I haven't, yet the father claims the jogger, 3 other people in front of him and a man sitting on a bench asked the boy where his parents were but the child didn't reply and kept running. Seriously? Where are these people?
Don’t forget about the church women? That was never clarified either.

Has anyone seen or heard of any witnesses coming forward? I haven't, yet the father claims the jogger, 3 other people in front of him and a man sitting on a bench asked the boy where his parents were but the child didn't reply and kept running. Seriously? Where are these people?

Some good points to consider.
And, wasn't there also a man taking photos of kids dressed in Dr. Seuss' costumes ?
The statement that's the most bothersome (imo) is the descriptions by dad (twice, iirc) about how fast Maddox could run.
Yes, we get that.

And no one is blaming an innocent, fun walk in the park.
It's when you literally cannot keep up with a child due to physical constraints... yet go to a park that's busy with kids and adults, a fun place to really run !
Who was supposed to catch this little boy if he charged on ahead for the fun of it-- or was startled and took off ?
The friend ?

I don’t want the father to be guilty. Dear God no. There’s just too much pointing that way. I think people are trying to make sense of him and give him the benefit of the doubt but like me keep finding inconsistencies.
For example. In the interview the reporter asks did you hurt Maddox and he answers with a definitive no. He then asks did anyone you know hurt Maddox and he answers again with a definitive no but then follows up with everyone I know loves Maddox. He didn’t give that same answer or defense for himself.
I’m looking for things to clear him in my mind but the opposite keeps happening. I really hope dad is not involved.

Are you familiar with the Zara Baker case in Hickory NC? I lived 5 blocks from the house they lived at the time of her murder. Everyone in Hickory knew her mother was lying 100%.
Still, people just couldn't believe the parents would or could do such a horrible thing. I remember going past that house and watching LE hauling evidence out if that place. Sicken me but also reminds me of the similarities of this case. The truth will come out sooner or later.

I would respectfully have to disagree. As you said it's not a very big lake. Every time I have been there I could easily see all the way around the lake. As you stated, usually lots of people there...so all the more reason to believe someone would have witnessed this small child running into a lake alone. No jogger has come forward. The guy that called 911 even admitted he never seen the child at the park. Also cameras. There are plenty of cameras we are not being told about. LE stated they had searched that Creek multiple times prior to finding him there. From the helicopter video today it looks like they found him near the Dallas the bridge. Conveniently enough, that bridge has a road right beside it that goes right to the area under the bridge. Personally I just can't see this child vanishing from that park unnoticed in the middle of the day. I don't think he was ever at the park that day.
BBM

Oh, wow.
I was asking in previous posts about security cameras in the park.
That's good to know there are cameras.
It's better evidence to clear or convict someone --- than a person's eyewitness testimony.

Last edited:
Notice when the interviewer say who were you with and he says me and a friend. Period. End of sentence. Then says...and Maddox.

I haven't seen that interview but I don't see anything sinister in this. The way I see it, it goes without saying that Maddox was there and it's the other adult that needs to be mentioned. However if it was me being interviewed, I might well tack on a comment about Maddox being there if the interviewer looked confused or as though he or she did not take it as read that the child was present.

This whole, tip from someone, sounds fishy. I question how a 6 yr old, walks 4 miles, down a (sometimes) busy street, would need to cross at a red light, at a busy interstate road, without someone seeing or stopping or calling the police.
Reason I question this is, years ago driving down a busy road, I came across a girl 6 or 7 years old, walking along the side of the road. Being a Mom, your concerned the wrong individual would pick her up. I stopped, she didn't say much, however she went to same school as my daughter. Asked her where she lived and if someone was home, she just mentioned the housekeeper. Ended up driving her home, tried to speak with the housekeeper, but spoke very little english. I called the school, and explained what happened, I understand this was not the first time she had done this. The School contacted the parents. This was before cell phones.

Last edited:
The Dr Seuss photographer came forward.
The 911 park employee was interviewed.
200 tips came in.
A registered sex offender spoke up.
Hundreds of searchers.
Searched the location he was found previously.
But dads people; the jogger, the bench guy, church lady and the three people blocking his view are MIA as far as we know. Unless someone read differently? Oh and the white cab truck.
This is one of many reasons I’m skeptical.

Last edited:
I really like it when you show up.

Awwww thanks. You might be the only one. :rolleyes:

I suck with maps but the path or trail leading out of the park literally goes straight to (still a maintained path) until it gets to the underpass at 321. You have to turn to the right to go back to the parking area. I really wish this area had been searched sooner.

I know we now know it was searched earlier. However, I wonder if it was searched IMMEDIATELY. Like within the first hour? The time frame when he may have just been sitting there exploring?

NEW: FBI Spokesperson: "We have seen Maddox and it is amazing that he was found. Standing next to him you can barely see him." #WBTV #MaddoxRitch

WBTV Ben Williamson on Twitter

I am so glad he was found. He's not very big. Between higher waters and debris from the rain they did get very lucky.

The boy was found partially under water about a mile away from where he was last seen, in Long Creek, near Rankin Lake Park. It’s unclear how many days he had been in the water following his Saturday disappearance.

Amber Roberts on Twitter

Bbm

Obviously this is due to the fact that the autopsy hasn't been completed yet, so they don't know. They aren't going to give a guess, just like they won't guess at foul play or not. It certainly doesn't mean he wasn't there the whole time.

He was inserted into the investigation before that interview, no disrespect intended. He was going to be investigated regardless of the interview.

The guy could be jumping in front of it trying to sway public perception. At the end of the day, he lives in this area, has a record, and knows what the community will be thinking.

I think most people in his situation, especially with such old cases would much prefer to just stay out of it. Not want to draw attention to themselves. Absolutely, cooperate and help law enforcement but most would not want to talk to the media. The last thing they want to do is draw attention to their past.

Not everyone who speaks to the police speaks to the press. The police do not provide the press with a list of people who have been interviewed.

LE always pays attention to who inserts himself into the story by giving interviews, seeming a little "too" involved. Many predators and killers enjoy being part of the action and seeing everyone deceived. It's pretty serial killer 101 to check out who seems out of place and enjoying the attention too much.

Yes, he didn't have to speak to the press. He chose to, which is odd. I don't think he had anything to do with it. It's just more odd behavior is all.

It has rained nonstop here in East TN for two days. I hope the poor child wasn’t playing or sleeping on the creek bank when water was released from the draining of the lake. Such a sad ending.

I don't think they started draining the lake until yesterday right? They searched it earlier but hadn't drained it. They searched the area he was found multiple times before he was found. Surely they would have found him if he'd been playing there that long?

Are there any nearby drainage pipes that dump into the creek? I wonder, could he have been hiding in a drainage pipe and got caught in a surge and drowned or something, and then his body was dislodged and carried out during the heavy storm last night...

If that was the case it would cause me to look back at the tipster a little more... if Maddox actually was in a pipe. However, I don't know how they'd be able to prove that. It is very possible though that he was dislodged by the storm last night. I was a little concerned that may happen.

I understand your concern about people already blaming the father. Honestly I pray he is innocent. That said, his story just doesn't add up. Yes, they searched that area multiple times prior BUT ....who's to say that who ever murdered him (if that's the case) didn't tie him down in an effort to keep his body hidden. Then six days later the body releases gasess causing him to float some what out of the water? I don't mean to sound horrid but that's a possibility. The father and his "friend" could have easily dropped his body off prior to going to the park, then have a perfectly good excuse as to why he ended up 2 miles down a Creek six days later. It is possible. As evil as people are now a days I wouldn't eliminate any possibility until I had proven otherwise. I just can't believe the "out running" the dad and "friend" part.

What motive would a new girlfriend have to help this father cover it up?
You really think this new girlfriend and the father could keep up this lie for 6 days?
Under FBI questioning? Separate FBI questioning?
I don't think there is any chance that would happen. It's not logical. There's no motivation for it to happen. It just doesn't make sense.

I haven't seen that interview but I don't see anything sinister in this. The way I see it, it goes without saying that Maddox was there and it's the other adult that needs to be mentioned. However if it was me being interviewed, I might well tack on a comment about Maddox being there if the interviewer looked confused or as though he or she did not take it as read that the child was present.
On the previous page, page 17 of this thread you can view the video.

On the previous page, page 17 of this thread you can view the video.

I've just watched the first half of it. There was nothing there that was a red flag to me. Maybe I'm not seeing something that's obvious to Americans but he looks like a very ordinary working class man to me, a guy who has never been interviewed publicly on camera or under such pressure until these events. Add that to the information that the guy is diabetic and may be on the spectrum himself to some degree - he seemed pretty straight to me.

I think there's a very dangerous tendancy to monster a person because they don't react they way you think they should, or rather the way society demands they should. If he's on the spectrum he may not be able to react the way you, the interviewer or the viewer expects him to.

This whole, tip from someone, sounds fishy. I question how a 6 yr old, walks 4 miles, down a (sometimes) busy street, would need to cross at a red light, at a busy interstate road, without someone seeing or stopping or calling the police.
Reason I question this is, years ago driving down a busy road, I came across a girl 6 or 7 years old, walking along the side of the road. Being a Mom, your concerned the wrong individual would pick her up. I stopped, she didn't say much, however she went to same school as my daughter. Asked her where she lived and if someone was home, she just mentioned the housekeeper. Ended up driving her home, tried to speak with the housekeeper, but spoke very little english. I called the school, and explained what happened, I understand this was not the first time she had done this. The School contacted the parents. This was before cell phones.
BBM
I'm waffling too - so many questions still unanswered! But just to keep the facts straight, Maddox didn't cross the highway, he went under it. The paved walkway turns to dirt and becomes a path that runs alongside the creek.

Here's some video of the dirt path. You can see the underside of Highway 321 that runs over it:
Steve Ohnesorge WBTV on Twitter

ETA: The distance is a little confusing too - the FBI said 4 miles but the Gastonia Fire Chief said just over a mile. My measurements came out closer, I got somewhere between 1 and 2 miles max.
Maddox Ritch: 'Our community is heartbroken'

Last edited:
<modsnipped quoted post>
There is nothing over burdening about a child with autism. We love them, just like we love our typical kids. They present challenges, just like our typical kids. They are just as worthy as our typical kids. They are just as amazing and loving and sweet and smart as our typical kids.

Yes, you hear about the difficult times...that's human nature to vent about the difficulties. But for every hard moment there are a thousand that make us smile. And feel proud.

I know you said to the dad, and not your opinion. But to assume the dad had those feelings is unjust, and unfair. To assume any parent of an autistic child might be more likely to unburden themselves than the thousands of parents who unburden themselves of their typical kids is irresponsible.

Sorry if harsh, just a hot button. Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member