Found Deceased NC - Maddox Ritch, 6 w/Autism, Gastonia, 22 Sept 2018 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very common for clothes to be ripped/pulled off in water deaths. I wouldn't read much into them not answering that or the trauma question. We need to remember that this is a little boy, not entertainment.

I'm sorry for the image this conjures up, but if he was going through something akin to whitewater, then his little body could have quite a few post-mortem injuries that the ME will have to separate from any possible perimortem injuries :(

If you roll your timeline back to the next oldest available imagery, you will see the park in September 2017 and with the water level in the reservoir about 7' higher.

The creek is barely visible through the very thick and green canopy provided by the trees after a full growing season, instead of in March 2018, after a full winter.

In fact, the canopy is so thick this time of the year, it is hard to trace the creek's path from the imagery.

Much different perspective and more relevant to how it looked on the day Maddox went missing.

He was non-verbal, not mute. My daughter is non-verbal but certainly vocalizes. If she is in pain or scared, she can vocalize. The issue is more around the fact that she doesn’t recognize pain or fear the same way we do. Once she broke her foot in multiple places and never cried or expressed pain once.

“The investigation continues,” Gastonia police said in a morning tweet. It added that while authorities can’t disclose the details of the probe, “we continue to ask those who may have been at the park on that day to please contact the Gastonia Police Department.” The department’s tip line is 704-869-1075
Gastonia Police (@GPDNC) on Twitter

Zero chance? IMO, that’s an untrue statement. Google: autism elopement risk. There are many other cases where our children have wandered much further, much faster than sweet Maddox.
Law enforcement can and will withhold any information that will help solve the crime. The child could have been stabbed to death, or beaten to death, raped, shot, ect... They keep this information hidden much like an oncologist does after a biopsy. They know the answer, but the lab must confirm it first. With LE this knowledge is crucial to be kept secret because it allows them to collect the proper evidence. I can tell you this, there is ZERO chance that child just "fell" into the lake and drowned then washed 2 miles down that Creek without someone noticing THE day it happened. I say this because I have taken my wife and my son and his best friend there numerous times. There are lots of people there even on bad weather days. Someone would have noticed a child "falling" into the lake and drowning especially if the dad was already in persuit as he claimed.

Law enforcement can and will withhold any information that will help solve the crime. The child could have been stabbed to death, or beaten to death, raped, shot, ect... They keep this information hidden much like an oncologist does after a biopsy. They know the answer, but the lab must confirm it first. With LE this knowledge is crucial to be kept secret because it allows them to collect the proper evidence. I can tell you this, there is ZERO chance that child just "fell" into the lake and drowned then washed 2 miles down that Creek without someone noticing THE day it happened. I say this because I have taken my wife and my son and his best friend there numerous times. There are lots of people there even on bad weather days. Someone would have noticed a child "falling" into the lake and drowning especially if the dad was already in pursuit as he claimed.
BBM

I noticed in the press conference, when they were asked whether his clothes were intact, and if there was any visible trauma, they wouldn't answer. Is that standard procedure, or are they withholding information to see if anyone slips up?

I wish they would find the jogger, and the person with the white truck, even if they don't think they have much to contribute.​
BBM

Imo; LE have been tight-lipped about this being just a tragic accident.... and it's nerve-wracking.

We know the information re. the jogger came from the dad.... does anyone know where the white truck info. came from ?

Why doesn't LE just release the sec. cam. footage ? It'd clear up many things and answer some of the same questions that keep coming up.

“The investigation continues,” Gastonia police said in a morning tweet. It added that while authorities can’t disclose the details of the probe, “we continue to ask those who may have been at the park on that day to please contact the Gastonia Police Department.” The department’s tip line is 704-869-1075
Gastonia Police (@GPDNC) on Twitter
BBM

That's depressing. LE and the FBI wouldn't release that information.... if they didn't have questions themselves !

Zero chance? IMO, that’s an untrue statement. Google: autism elopement risk. There are many other cases where our children have wandered much further, much faster than sweet Maddox.
Emph. mine

I think what the poster this post is referring to; is trying to say, imo; is that in a crowded park -- people would have noticed a boy falling into the lake.
Certainly, dad and friend would've shouted and succeeded in obtaining help from passers by.

And it's been stated that there are barriers that would've prevented Maddox from washing down stream.

The main problem is that you don't take a child to a park where they will want to run and you know you can't follow or even keep up with them, due to neuropathy in your feet.
You'd take them to a play area in a shopping mall or somewhere more confining-- where you wouldn't have to run after them.

No one is blaming a child running off ,or an autistic child's 'elopement'. That can happen to anyone.

If he was non verbal, could he make loud yell noises?

I think it's been referenced in other news articles that he was NOT non-verbal. That he could speak to his parents but was leery of strangers ? I'm thinking he could yell if need be ?

Not sure of his level of speech. But some special needs kids are able to let you know that they're hungry, thirsty, and what they don't want to do or eat.

Eta : My coworkers' daughter has a child with autism ; non-verbal as in not able to form words-but makes loud and quiet noises ..... and she can let you know what she wants to eat or when she wants to play outdoors. They don't allow her to go out without another person, either a parent or one of her older siblings.
So far she hasn't had an elopement, but if that happened-- they'd find her quickly as she doesn't go anywhere without someone watching her.

Last edited:
In your opinion, is it viable or plausible that the child could have entered the creek from the park area? My understanding is that the park is not completely fenced in and getting to the creek is possible.

I also notice a foot bridge at the north and eastern corner of the park that has a gully under it leading to the creek. It appears going through the woods and making it to that gully might allow an explorer get to the creek and possibly without being seen.

Sure I guess anything is possible but consider this..... The child was not dropped off unattended in an empty isolated park, left to roam free. He was being pursued by his father and his "friend". The father claims a jogger witnessed the child running. He claims there were 3 people in front of him that witnessed the child, he claims some man on a bench spoke to him and asked if that was his child after he asked the child where his parents were but the child ignored him and kept running.
Given these "claims" any sensible person would have a very good general direction of the basic area the child would or could be. It's not like someone blindly dropped him from an air plane then landed and began a search from scratch. If the father chased him then he should have been able to pin point a general area to narrow the possibility of where the kid could possibly be. Knowing this, and being familiar with the park.... I just don't see how he could end up in that Creek unnoticed from day 1 much less days later. There are obstacles that would hinder a 6yr old and at least slow him down enough to be able to be found.

I understand all that although I should clarify what exactly I was asking which I'll rephrase

In your opinion, is it POSSIBLE that a person could have entered the creek from the park area, from any point and without trekking down the foot path that leads under 321? Where?

My understanding is that the park is not completely fenced in and getting to the creek is possible.

I also notice a foot bridge at the north and eastern corner of the park that has a gully under it leading to the creek. It appears going through the woods and making it to that gully might allow an explorer get to the creek and possibly without being seen.

Is it possible to access the creek, on foot, from that point?

With the thick September vegetation, is is possible to do so and possibly escape notice?

Sure I guess anything is possible.

This is from this morning. I’m not sure if it’s been posted.
Notice this report says there are barriers that would have stopped the body from washing down the Creek. As I posted yesterday, there is metal grate that would have kept him from entering that Creek. Also there are lots of natural obstacles in that creek that would not allow him to wash a mile down stream unnoticed. I believe the child was submurged in the creek and floated to the surface 6 days later.

Some good points to consider.
And, wasn't there also a man taking photos of kids dressed in Dr. Seuss' costumes ?
The statement that's the most bothersome (imo) is the descriptions by dad (twice, iirc) about how fast Maddox could run.
Yes, we get that.

And no one is blaming an innocent, fun walk in the park.
It's when you literally cannot keep up with a child due to physical constraints... yet go to a park that's busy with kids and adults, a fun place to really run !
Who was supposed to catch this little boy if he charged on ahead for the fun of it-- or was startled and took off ?
The friend ?
Ian said they often went to the park per routine, and Maddox would always run in front then stop and wait, the last time he just kept going so..

Ian said they often went to the park per routine, and Maddox would always run in front then stop and wait, the last time he just kept going so..

Other sources state that the dad said it was the first time at that park.
And yet to different sources, he said they had been to Rankin park many times.
So who knows ?

Ian himself stated that he had difficulty with his feet (to a reporter D. Bernaud), and if the diabetes and neuropathy prevented him from running --who was going with him... to watch that Maddox didn't get lost ?
Very sad however this happened.
LE have said the investigation isn't over.

Last edited:
Notice this report says there are barriers that would have stopped the body from washing down the Creek. As I posted yesterday, there is metal grate that would have kept him from entering that Creek. Also there are lots of natural obstacles in that creek that would not allow him to wash a mile down stream unnoticed. I believe the child was submurged in the creek and floated to the surface 6 days later.
Hmm... like the Chief said, the investigation is not over. I still have many questions. Apparently, so does LE. Autopsy will define trajectory of investigation. I have faith answers will come. Just not much patience.

Both of the gentleman at the press conference were really choked up and at times could not talk. They see a lot of bad stuff. A lot of tradegy. They deal with a lot. To have both professionals, especially the FBI agent, who deal with this day in and day out, get that emotional tells me a lot. I think they know much more than we do.
I could be wrong, but it makes me think something else is going on. Finding a child dead in a creek is bad enough. They have seen things like this unfortunately. The FBI guy choked up. Something seems up with that to me. Like more so than usual.

I watched this again and I am asking you IF it is possible to access the creek, on foot, in either of the points I reference, one specified and another left for you to qualify.

I'm not asking all the reasons why it is unlikely or why it can't be done from the reservoir.

I am asking IF it is physically possible and from where. No superhero, special forces climbing or MacGiver tricks required, just walk straight to it.

The area had record heavy rains and I have good reason to believe the creek was swollen and moving fast on the day he went missing.

There were also heavy rains in the area AFTER he went missing and I do not believe there are any dams or obstructions that are 100% certain to prevent a body from being washed downstream if the creek is swollen.

I did not extract, from that video that any such barriers, natural or man made would indeed prevent a body already in the creek from being washed downstream with the creek swollen. I am equally certain there are no man made barriers or dams built in that creek channel west of the park. That would cause serious flood problems for there to be even a 2 foot dam in it which would likely not, or even a taller dam, prevent a body going past if the creek was swollen.

Additionally he was not found floating. He was found under water tangled up in brush and limbs etc, which could indicate a lot of things, the most obvious being that he was in the creek, went under, got trapped and was eventually washed downstream, unnoticable or otherwise, as the rain cause the swollen creek to further rise.

Last edited:
Lots of times Law enforcement will play along with the "story" until they have the evidence they need to convict. So far I haven't seen video evidence or witnesses that prove the child was ever even in the park. Doesn't anyone else find this a little suspicious? Rick Fox, the guy that works at the park who called 911 even stated he never seen the child at the lake.

Agreed. We can't find any of the other people like the joggers and the person on the bench who actually spoke to Maddox. That esp. is important because it would be a confirmed sighting.

That is peculiar if true.

Other sources state that the dad said it was the first time at that park.
And yet to different sources, he said they had been to Rankin park many times.
So who knows ?

Ian himself stated that he had difficulty with his feet (to a reporter D. Bernaud), and if the diabetes and neuropathy prevented him from running --who was going with him... to watch that Maddox didn't get lost ?
Very sad however this happened.
LE have said the investigation isn't over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
psychesleuth