Found Deceased NC - Maddox Ritch, 6 w/Autism, Gastonia, 22 Sept 2018 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
GASTON CO. NC.Aggressive Attempted Kidnapping
(The same county as the Maddie Ritch incident)
This mans face needs to be plastered on BillBoards.
ATTEMPTED KIDNAPPING: Man cornered, arrested after attempting to kidnap 10-year-old Gaston County girl

That is so scary! :eek: Here is a thread to discuss that case: NC, Gaston Co, Man Attempted to Kidnap 10 yo Girl From Her Yard, Nov 2018 *Arrest*

ETA: Welcome to Websleuths @oceanstarryeyes glad you have joined us :)

I understand the police will hold back certain details on certain cases. However, this case should be a high priority.
Gastonia police are waiting for ME's autopsy report, including the toxicology report. Maddox's was
found Sept 27, and yet no information on cause of death.
I'm wondering why the report hasn't been released yet. It's possible the FBI is handling the toxicology tests
and slow to process certain toxicology tests.

So sad but this is what I was expecting (that there were signs of animal activity so the drowning diagnosis had to be one of exclusion). He was out in the elements for 6 days. :(
Here is the full police statement and link to the autopsy report:

WARNING: GRAPHIC DETAILS See the full autopsy by clicking HERE.

The Gastonia Police Department released the following statement:

The Gastonia Police Department and the FBI have spent countless hours investigating the disappearance and death of 6-year-old Maddox Ritch. The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner (OCME) recently completed and published the results of the autopsy on Maddox’s body. The report, completed by the Mecklenburg County Medical Examiner’s Office states, “In conjunction with investigative information at this time, which gives no indication of other than an accidental drowning, it seems reasonable to conclude that the likely cause of death is drowning.” The Gastonia Police Department is grateful to the Mecklenburg County Medical Examiner’s Office for its thorough and detailed work.

“We appreciate everyone’s patience and support while we worked to uncover every piece of evidence available to bring our death investigation to this conclusion. I ask for continued prayers for Maddox’s family and everyone touched by this child’s tragic death,” said Gastonia Police Chief Robert Helton. “We appreciate our many law enforcement, search and rescue partners, and countless others who assisted us in the search for Maddox. We do not anticipate any criminal charges being filed in connection with the investigation.”

Maddox had been diagnosed with autism, and was nonverbal per the autopsy report. Thank God there were no signs of "abduction" abuse. RIP little man.

"An available medical record lists a medical history of autism spectrum disorder and indicates the child was nonverbal."

https://images.wccbcharlotte.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Autopsy.pdf

ETA: "abduction"

Last edited:
Autopsy: Missing North Carolina boy with autism likely drowned

6-year-old's body found in pond after 5 days

(CNN) - The death of a missing six-year-old boy with autism whose body was found in a North Carolina creek in September has been classified as a "probable drowning," according to an autopsy report from the Mecklenburg County Medical Examiner...

Maddox Ritch, who disappeared from park, died from accidental drowning

The Gastonia Police Department in North Carolina said no criminal charges will be filed.

Maddox Ritch, the 6-year-old North Carolina boy with autism who disappeared from a park in September while out with his father, died from accidental drowning, according to officials.

Mecklenburg County Medical Examiner's Office said in an autopsy report released Thursday, there was no evidence of trauma and the child's body was "normally developed and nourished."...

RIP poor Maddox. I understand why the first responders had such a hard time after finding his body with that type of animal attack. The fact that this was completely preventable is the worst part. We need to watch out for each other's children, even if we feel awkward and uncomfortable. If anyone who saw Maddox running grabbed his hand and waited for a parent or contacted a park ranger, he would be alive today.

I just read his autopsy report.. and I'm crying at work. That poor, poor little guy. I am however thankful that the animal attack was after he had already passed away. I'm also happy that there showed nothing abnormal, like abuse, or neglect. His mama and daddy took care of him. He was a loved little boy. I agree that the attacks on the dad need to end now. Now that we have proof. I cannot imagine the pain he lives with every single day knowing that if he hadn't of taken his eyes off Maddox, he'd still be alive. RIP baby boy.

I've been to local parks where kids are running ahead of their parents. I get concerned and will look around for the parent, before going my own way. Two years back, after a family had visited the ice caves in Washington state, a six year old child ran ahead of his parents on a trail. Sadly, his body was found in the river about a mile downstream from trail's footbridge. I've been on the same trail , being 10ft ahead on this trail it could easily happen.

Pointing the finger at the Maddox's Dad, who's heart is broken. The Dad was unable to catch up to Maddox
before he was out of view. Suspicions in people's minds, because he doesn't interview the way "a normal person would give a interview". Why didn't someone seeing a young child running in a park by water not stop him and wait till a family member arrive.
I hope the family is able to find peace. RIP little one.

Heartbreaking. I feel sick, thinking of the searchers who won't be able to forget what they saw, and beautiful Maddox's family and friends. He touched so many lives. I wish his family could know how far and wide people were rooting for Maddox and caring.

Exactly my point.
Does the evidence support the told story? If not, then the story could not have happened as told.
Just because that’s what was told doesn’t mean that’s what happened. Force the brain to stop hearing the story and look at facts.
BBM
Exactly.
Now that we know he drowned and animal predation caused his injuries... some questions are answered.
But many more questions will probably never be answered.
This was very preventable. So sad !

There were reports about what happened with conflicting details.

And I haven’t seen drowning as the cause of death, did I miss something being announced? Possible because I have been staying away from this case for the most part.
Emph. mine
Agreed, and need to add that the conflicting details did not come from social media, but were present in MSM from day one.
Even allowing for neuropathy in both feet.... how could another person who ran in marathons not be able to catch up with a small child ?
Unless the child was unattended.
LE stated that they knew Maddox was at the park ; and so it's possible there's someone with personal video that shows him at some point, playing alone.
But who really knows ? It would help if LE had just released any footage of Maddox at the park -- to the media.
Unless there's something they do not want the public to see ?

This is a sleuthing forum for msm, and it'd stand to reason that there are ongoing questions not only in this case but many others !
So it's much appreciated to hear everyone's views and input here at WS . :)

Just to clarify, that is the story told. We do not know if that is fact.
No, we do not.
Fully agree, HGO !

We know that Maddox drowned. But the bulk of the investigation was not how he died... but under what circumstances ?

Hopefully the SM witch hunt against the dad will stop.The man will feel guilty for the rest of his life and no need to pile on him.
Yes, Tara, you're right, that happened in sm -- but not here at WS. Everyone here has been supportive to a fault !
The dad 's statements to msm were questioned and it would have been surprising if NO ONE at WS questioned anything at all.
One can wonder why his story changed in his interviews to msm.
And there's no need to look at social media -- there's enough to ponder just in msm alone.
The purpose of a sleuthing forum is ... asking questions and looking for answers.

RIP poor Maddox. I understand why the first responders had such a hard time after finding his body with that type of animal attack. The fact that this was completely preventable is the worst part. We need to watch out for each other's children, even if we feel awkward and uncomfortable. If anyone who saw Maddox running grabbed his hand and waited for a parent or contacted a park ranger, he would be alive today.
Emph. mine

Can't agree with you more, Alethea. The problem is that some people (we've probably all noticed this at some time while in public ; either shopping or at a park, etc.) go to public places and allow their kids to play alone. People can't expect other people to mind their children for them-- and yet it happens all too often.
It's neglectful to go anywhere with children and hope others will watch out for them.
You are correct in commenting that this was completely preventable.

Rest in peace, Maddox. You deserved to live your life !

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties
Back