Found Deceased NC - Maddox Ritch, 6 w/Autism, Gastonia, 22 Sept 2018 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Exactly my point.
Does the evidence support the told story? If not, then the story could not have happened as told.
Just because that’s what was told doesn’t mean that’s what happened. Force the brain to stop hearing the story and look at facts.

Exactly my point.
Does the evidence support the told story? If not, then the story could not have happened as told.
Just because that’s what was told doesn’t mean that’s what happened. Force the brain to stop hearing the story and look at facts.
Which facts exactly? Not trying to be flippant, trying to understand

What exactly could not have happened as said?
Little boy takes off because he is autistic, father and friend cannot catch him, he wanders until he ends up drowning. Sad, but plausible, no?

There were reports about what happened with conflicting details.

And I haven’t seen drowning as the cause of death, did I miss something being announced? Possible because I have been staying away from this case for the most part.

If drowning wasn't the cod -- one would think the coroner would list Maddox' death as "undetermined" , "suspicious", or "homicide" ?
It seems as if we're posting in circles, with some of the same questions over and over.

But something is just so "off".
I could understand it more if only one person was watching him... but there were TWO people looking after him.

If drowning wasn't the cod -- one would think the coroner would list Maddox' death as "undetermined" , "suspicious", or "homicide" ?
It seems as if we're posting in circles, with some of the same questions over and over.

But something is just so "off".
I could understand it more if only one person was watching him... but there were TWO people looking after him.

What I think is weird is accidental drownings happen all the time. This ME has probably had more than a couple of cases just based on the area - it is a warm climate so people likely have pools and swim fairly often. If it was an accidental drowning, why not release the COD and say how everyone needs to keep their eyes on their children and everyone's children to avoid these types of tragic but completely preventable accidents.

Why the secrecy? Why no statement?

Here are some basic questions I've pondered :
Does the coroner KNOW the cod ?
And if so-- what would be the reasons to not release it ?
Are they waiting for the tox tests to come back ?
If Maddox died of violence-- the coroner could release that without pointing fingers at anyone, correct ?
And about the investigation... is it still ongoing ? Are LE continuing to ask anyone who was there to come forward ?

I've stayed away from this thread for a bit because I was posting the same unanswered questions.

Here are some basic questions I've pondered :
Does the coroner KNOW the cod ?
And if so-- what would be the reasons to not release it ?
Are they waiting for the tox tests to come back ?
If Maddox died of violence-- the coroner could release that without pointing fingers at anyone, correct ?
And about the investigation... is it still ongoing ? Are LE continuing to ask anyone who was there to come forward ?

I've stayed away from this thread for a bit because I was posting the same unanswered questions.
Right now the COD is still listed as pending. Like you and others here I don't know why the ME hasn't released a preliminary report of possible drowning. If something shows up on the toxicology report then that would be be listed on the final autopsy report.

I read up on drowning as a cause of death and found that it's a little complicated. There are no tests that can say with certainty that the person drowned. So it's considered an exclusionary diagnosis, meaning if the circumstances of death - like Maddox being found in a creek - suggest drowning and no other cause (like drugs or strangulation) is noted then the ME will conclude the person died from drowning.

But even understanding why it may take a while to hear what killed Maddox doesn't explain the long delay. In little Mariah's case, also in NC, the tox results showing chloroform were back in 3 weeks.

The longer it takes the more suspicious people will become - and parents in the community have the right to know if there is a dangerous predator in their midst. MOO.

What happened to Maddox Ritch? Still no cause of death nearly a month later
Drowning
Drowning - Wikipedia

Not sure why the headline states it could be 6 months before the autopsy report is completed.

Actual quote:
"Fish said they're awaiting lab test results before issuing a final cause and manner of death. On average, that could take two to three months -- possibly longer."

Autopsy results may not be ready for six months in Maddox Ritch case

ETA: maybe it refers to the time since the body was found in September.

Hoping that something is released soon.

I am hoping that Maddox just wandered away and drowned in the creek, no foul play involved.

If he was attracted to water like so many autistic kids I would have thought the lake would have been more inviting to him than the creek. Also surprising to think he would have walked all the way to the creek without motorists seeing him cross the busy street, especially since he was wearing an orange shirt. You don’t really see many kids walking alone near busy roads so I think that should have attracted attention, unless maybe it was after dark.

I’m sorry you weren’t found in time, little Maddox.

Right now the COD is still listed as pending. Like you and others here I don't know why the ME hasn't released a preliminary report of possible drowning. If something shows up on the toxicology report then that would be be listed on the final autopsy report.

I read up on drowning as a cause of death and found that it's a little complicated. There are no tests that can say with certainty that the person drowned. So it's considered an exclusionary diagnosis, meaning if the circumstances of death - like Maddox being found in a creek - suggest drowning and no other cause (like drugs or strangulation) is noted then the ME will conclude the person died from drowning.

But even understanding why it may take a while to hear what killed Maddox doesn't explain the long delay. In little Mariah's case, also in NC, the tox results showing chloroform were back in 3 weeks.

The longer it takes the more suspicious people will become - and parents in the community have the right to know if there is a dangerous predator in their midst. MOO.

What happened to Maddox Ritch? Still no cause of death nearly a month later
Drowning
Drowning - Wikipedia
So true!
The diagnosis of drowning is based more on the circumstances of the death than on tests.

Chemical tests are non-specific and unreliable. A test that traditionally was used is the Gettler Chloride Test, where the amounts of chloride on each side of the heart were compared to determine if the person drowned in fresh or salt water. Another test uses the gravity of blood on the right and left atrias to determine if the person drowned. Neither test yields reliable results.

Examiners also look for the presence of diatoms, which are microscopic algae found in all types of water. This test too is unreliable as diatoms can be found throughout the environment and they can also be inhaled or digested.

Symptoms such as hemorrhages, pulmonary edema, “washerwoman” appearance of the hands and feet, and goose flesh may indicate a drowning. However, heart attacks, drug overdoses, and other causes of death can also cause the same symptoms.

I think they are ruling out anything else than going with what would seem to be more obvious.

If/When there is a major development in this case, i.e. announcement of COD, ME's report, arrest (if Maddox's death turns out to be homicide), etc., I hope someone will post on *Breaking News* forum so we don't miss an update. With the holidays coming, many of us will be busy and might not check this thread daily. If you're local or staying on the case in earnest, please let us know. TIA

He was still little. My son wasn't diagnosed that young. I know it is more common now to diagnose as early as possible, but it hasn't always been that way and many doctors prefer to wait until children are a bit older as it is easier to gauge communication difficulties IMO.

Hoping the M.E. report on Maddox Ritch would be released by now.. LE should be concerned a child predator
caused Maddox Ritch's death. Leaving too many unanswered questions. Keeping children safe
is a priority. Maddox rest in peace.

Not too familiar with this case - if dad isn't the direct victim of the crime (deceased/missing) or a named POI/suspect, he is considered a victim and per TOS we can't discuss him beyond what is reported from allowed sources.

Dad is not a POI, nor is he a suspect and LE have not ever said this is a criminal case as far as I know. The media has asked if there were signs of foul play and LE declined to comment one way or the other until the autopsy report is complete. Basics of the case: Maddox was in the park with his dad and dad's girlfriend, Maddox ran off and dad could not catch up to him/lost sight of him. He was found almost a week later in a creek. LE was able to confirm Maddox was in the park that day. This is the last update they gave on the case on Oct 3: Gastonia Police on Twitter

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties
Back