Found Deceased NC - Maddox Ritch, 6 w/Autism, Gastonia, 22 Sept 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not liking this at all.
Why? Why did Rich Fox make the call to 911,and not the dad? Why was the dad not there when the 911 call was made?
These are very important questions. When a precious vulnerable child is missing.
I know if it were me and my child were missing, I would not want to leave the search area even for a moment. I would, however, use a cell phone. I wonder if cell phones work at that location.

It feels so wrong and wasteful to just sit here and do nothing. But what can we do? Drive to the park at 10pm at night and try to look? Drive randomly around Gastonia? No. It’s crazy. What a helpless feeling.

I’m torn. I don’t know if he was killed by someone he knows (It happens, but I hope this is not the case) - I’m unsure how I feel about what I’ve heard so far. Abducted? I guess it’s possible. There are bad people out there, but was one of them at the park Saturday? Have they just not found him yet (in water or brush). Maybe they are hearing from more people tonite. Will see in the morning.

I'm seeing so many people comment that they "just don't understand..." how the dad couldn't catch up to Maddox. Maybe folks are missing the several posts that point out that the dad clarified- he has diabetes, and it has advanced to the point of neuropathy in his feet.

Diabetes that has progressed to that point at this guy's age, means it's probably pretty severe and he's likely not managing it well. Some of his confused type behaviors and sluggish responses could easily be from mismanaged blood sugar levels. And for those that don't know- neuropathy in your feet from diabetes can range from total numbness, to shooting stabbing like pains to tingling- but it definitely can impair your ability to run at all, much less fast. My sister in law has it, and there are days she can't even walk, and has to use a motorized scooter just to get around. It's very painful, but also debilitating.

It really sounds like the dad simply had his guard down- they had played this game of semi-tag before many times, and Maddox had always stopped and waited for dad to catch up. This time, he didn't. Maybe because he's older. Maybe something caught his interest. Or maybe someone snatched him up and was gone with him before dad made it close enough to get him.

Autism often runs in families, certainly does in mine. IMO they are protecting a parent who might be on the spectrum from upsetting questions from the reporters.

This is certainly a possibility.
Especially since they were not quite as protective of Dad when he spoke.
It also could just be that they felt she was just too emotional fragile to handle anything else.

I did find the amount of time/effort spent discussing the social media rumor mill to be a bit odd. Rumors and false information spreads like wildfire in most cases it seems.

He mentioned how it's most terrible for parents reading it but also bad because searches then stop because the searchers think things have changed...why would first responders/searchers/LE stop based on social media rumors? Why would they even be looking on their phones at social media if they are supposed to be searching? I didn't understand that part at all.

In one situation it was a searcher who posted false information about it. So people thought the search was over since the information came from a searcher. It caused a huge uproar while everyone tried to figure out what was going on, including family.

In missing child cases, a lot of us tend to give a side-eye to the parents. But I know that sometimes there is nothing sinister that happened because accidents can easily occur. And if that's what happened here, then I can see why LE is trying to protect them. The public can be brutal. If they have photo or video evidence of him in the park that day....I wish they'd release it. Because maybe people would back off the parents. But...maybe they don't have anything like that. I don't know.

(Side note - I really glad I take 1000 pictures and videos of my kid every day.)

I've always been glad I take so many pictures for the same reason. I almost always will have a picture of what my youngest child is wearing on any given day.

People process grief differently... My wife and I lost our daughter suddenly eight months into her pregnancy and we both responded in vastly different ways than expected. I, being the tough strong guy everyone knew completely lost it and would cry multiple times a day publicly. My wife, stayed strong and didn't break down in front of others.

Also, it did look as if her eyes were glossy as if she was fighting them back...

Yes. This is very true. My friend also lost her full term daughter. Nobody knows until they've been there for sure how they will react. If you've had a child missing for an hour you might have some inkling... but that's it.

Non-verbal is not the same thing as completely mute. I know many non-verbal kids and they all make noises and sounds, at the very least. Some are quite loud, actually. And they cry too, just like any other kid would. Maybe even more since they don't have words to communicate.

Yes. Very true. Sometimes non verbal kids are the loudest! (Though, it sounds like Maddox is shy, more than non verbal.)

That was good of Carrie Ritch to speak up. .... mom says he (Maddox) is NOT non-verbal ; but will not speak to people he doesn't know.
Which would be why -- if a person tried to talk to him at the park-- he didn't say anything. (Like, "I'm lost"-- or, "have you seen my dad ?" )

The fact that the FBI can positively place him at the park says volumes.
My opinion is that there are numerous cameras and all they had to do was to take a look.

It would've been nice for them to notify the public , though --- and prevent unnecessary worry for those who are looking for Maddox.

Good to know Maddox does speak. It would be nice to know how much, how well, what his level of receptive language is, etc.

I don't understand why the father didn't make the call. It's his son, he knows him better, knows more important details etc.

I think it's very possible that he was just thinking the police would get all that information when they arrived. That they would have found Maddox when the police got there anyway. I don't think he thought they'd still be looking days later.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

Why would they be wearing "work shirts" on an outing in the park with Maddox?

Last edited by a moderator:
from press conference today FBI Chief Welsh
"Search today is evidence grid search looking for any evidence that may have been left behind."

Reporter "Do you have any reason to doubt the fathers story?
transscribed answer:
Welsh (sighs) "I would say that uh we've worked very hard with him and with the uh his Maddox's mom and uh we feel very confident that a lot of the information that they provided to us is accurate and it's helped us in a great deal in finding out where the last place we saw Maddox."

My opinion only is that he danced around this question and worded it strangely.

Go
This is certainly a possibility.
Especially since they were not quite as protective of Dad when he spoke.
It also could just be that they felt she was just too emotional fragile to handle anything else.

I've always been glad I take so many pictures for the same reason. I almost always will have a picture of what my youngest child is wearing on any given day.

Yes. This is very true. My friend also lost her full term daughter. Nobody knows until they've been there for sure how they will react. If you've had a child missing for an hour you might have some inkling... but that's it.

I think it's very possible that he was just thinking the police would get all that information when they arrived. That they would have found Maddox when the police got there anyway. I don't think he thought they'd still be looking days later.

Good point about the photos. I was just reading an article today about safety for the fair that suggested taking pics of your kids as you enter the event so if you become separated, you know what everyone was wearing.

I agree. If he did all that he could, trying to find him and running after him, then why would he feel guilty? I guess we could probably pick apart many statements made in these cases, some would be accurately picked apart, but once in awhile, the person is truly genuine and the child or missing adult is found ok. I won't lie, I am beyond hope that Maddox is still alive- I want to believe he is and is just waiting to be found, but I just don't feel it in my heart that he is.

Because as a parent you feel guilty for everything.

A wind gust blew my son off of a play structure and for MONTHS I felt guilty for not taking him to a less windy park.
My daughter cut off her finger with an unopened soup can when she was 6. For months I felt guilty for letting her carry her own can of soup.
My other daughter ran into the car door and got a concussion when she was 6. For months I felt guilty for letting her walk instead of carrying her.

Parents feel guilty because it's our job to protect our children.
The parents who DON'T express guilt are the ones that worry me.

MORE: FBI: “we have worked with both parents and we believe what they are telling us is accurate.” #FindMaddox #WBTV

WBTV Ben Williamson on Twitter

I think THIS IS IMPORTANT.
The FBI says that THEY believe the parents.
If THEY believe them at this point, shouldn't we give them the same benefit?

Because the police have deemed it none of the public’s business and unimportant to the case. The focus is Maddox not nosy people ripping her life apart and coming up with the sort of false narratives that make for good social media fodder but hold no actual value in terms of finding Maddox.

Absolutely, there is zero reason for her name to come into it. The FBI doesn't suspect the parents at this point, why would they suspect Dad's new girlfriend? They are very clearly trying to keep the focus on the SEARCH for MADDOX. They are not releasing things that will only result in rumors.

Dad maybe forgot to add that... or he didn't think it was relevant ?
Except that if you're unable to run-- the last place you want to take your energetic child is a park.
Kids love to run !

BBM

If Maddox dad knew he liked to run and hide, why take him to a park/open area where it would be difficult to keep up with him ?
Even if it hurts-- if your child runs off-- you don't think about it-- you just RUN and forget your discomfort.

Although maybe the friend was supposed to help watch Maddox and catch up with him if he ran out of sight ?

Trying to understand this in the light of new revelations.

Neuropathy is not just painful. It is also NUMBNESS. You ever tried running when your foot is asleep? Could you just "run through that" to chase someone? It just doesn't work that way unfortunately.

Reporter " I understand you might have trouble running?"
Dad " a, a, a little bit, I have diabetes and I have neuropathy in my feet so that causes a problem".
(it is only my opinion that he down played this problem)

He strikes me as not the type to want to talk about his health issues, but realized he had to explain why he couldn't catch up to Maddox. Especially after being bluntly asked why he, a grown man couldn't catch a 6 year old. Because every grown man is perfectly healthy and capable of doing that?

Lots of people wanting to blame the dad. As the parent of a daughter with autism, I have a few thoughts. First, when we find something she likes and enjoys (which there are few things), we love to allow her time to engage in that activity. Second, in our mind, she is simply our daughter. We are not thinking of her disability every minute of every day. In fact, when she is in her element and engaged in a favorite activity, it’s easy to zone out, let the defenses down a little and just enjoy the “normalcy”. Third, special needs parents are like other parents. We enjoy spur of the moment activities and don’t always check things out before going. From what I’ve read, Maddox loved running. I’m sure dad has taken him to many parks and let him run numerous times. Nothing bad happened before, I’m sure dad was not thinking something bad would happen now.

We are ALL guilty of being lured into a false sense of security. Mollie Tibbetts went running - like she always did. Shannan Watts went home to her husband, perhaps argued with him; like I’m sure she did numerous times before. Accidents happen. Bad things happen. Whether it’s an adult, child, parent or parent of a special needs child, sometimes things just go wrong.

I pray they find Maddox safe and sound.

Yes. Yes. YES. This.

Just because your child has special needs doesn't mean that is all you ever think about.

Yes, you take precautions. Yes, you are careful. But if Maddox was having a good day, behaving, not having meltdowns, it's easy to let your guard down!

It's easy to just enjoy your little boy, playing at the park and HAPPY! Without all of the reminders that he's different from other little boys. It's easy to forget that you can't get complacent. It happens to everyone. Nobody is perfect!

Totally agree. Why is it that no one has come forward about seeing Maddox or his father and this adult together? LE keeps begging for park goers that day to call them if they were at the park at that time- I am wondering, for those who may have called, if any of them saw the three of them either together or separately in the park that day. It seems odd that they keep begging park goers to call in.
On a facebook you can find a few instances where people said they saw them. But nothing confirm. LE had said they have confirmed Maddox was in the park. I think. All so confusing still.

As the parent of an autistic adult, I feel horrible the parents are crucified on Sm. It is more likely the boy did bolt and probably drown than foul play. The father sounded distraught and sincere to me.
My daughter escapes and bolts so often that we can never go out without at least two other adults. When she was a child, it was so bad, we rarely risked taking her out to parks or near water.

I am also the parent of a child with special needs, and I find it hard to watch the speculation of the parents. The father in particular. These parents are human, and like any child without a disability - things happen. My daughter was a runner as a young girl, and it was awful. Once when I was in the shower- my daughter left my house and went into my neighbor's house and they found her playing with their dogs on the floor. I was absolutely frantic. Hysterical. I knew she ran, but had no idea where to look. This does happen, and people are human. It is a lot easier to suggest that someone should have done something different than to actually live it.
Has it been mentioned if Maddox could swim? I have yet to see that mentioned.

There seems to be alot of consternation about the child running off, and what the dad was doing. Autism aside, some parents don't have the "radar gene". Meaning, they don't have that heightened awareness and vigilance with their kids. I have a friend like this. I love her dearly, and she really loves her kids. But frankly, she's not a natural when it comes to mothering. I'm always the one catching her kids before they face plant, or grab sharp objects out of their hands, etc. I've got the gene. She doesn't. Maybe this is the case here with this dad. Who knows.
Still holding out hope for a miracle that this little fellow will be found safe. I know it's a long shot, but still holding out hope.

from press conference today FBI Chief Welsh
"Search today is evidence grid search looking for any evidence that may have been left behind."

Reporter "Do you have any reason to doubt the fathers story?
transscribed answer:
Welsh (sighs) "I would say that uh we've worked very hard with him and with the uh his Maddox's mom and uh we feel very confident that a lot of the information that they provided to us is accurate and it's helped us in a great deal in finding out where the last place we saw Maddox."

My opinion only is that he danced around this question and worded it strangely.

“a lot of the information that they have provided to us is accurate...”

Does that mean some of the information they provided is inaccurate?

Last edited:
It has been reported that hundreds of people were in the park that day. How many of them saw Maddox’s Dad and the unidentified adult with him chasing through the park, frantically calling his name?

I guarantee that if I saw frantic parents running and frantically searching for a child I would be helping them search.

I don't know how to quote this in the above post by someone else so I'll bold the section below I'm referring to.
This is not what the FBI said in my opinion. I posted the exact transcript above. I did not take his response as they believe but rather he skirted and stumbled a bit to the question. I found this to be the only response the agent wasn't on top of.
JMO of course.
Bolded by me
"I think THIS IS IMPORTANT.
The FBI says that THEY believe the parents.
If THEY believe them at this point, shouldn't we give them the same benefit?"

“a lot of the information theyt they have provided to us is accurate...”

Does that mean some of the information they provided is inaccurate?

If Maddox's mother wasn't in the park with Dad and her son that day, she certainly can't provide "accurate" information concerning the child's disappearance. Only Dad and the other "adult" can describe those circumstances. Mother can certainly provide "accurate" information about Maddox's typical behaviors, how communicative he is, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper