Found Deceased NC - Mitzi Sue "Susan" Clements, 53, hiker, Great Smoky Mountains NP, 25 Sept 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
A number of new organizations have joined the search in the last two days, including Christian Aid Ministries Search and Rescue, Gatlinburg Fire Department, Haywood County Search and Rescue, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation, Tennessee Highway Patrol Rapid Response Team, Tennesse Search and Rescue Team, Tennessee State Parks, United States Forest Service Cherokee Hotshots, as well as other National Park Service personnel from Blue Ridge Parkway, Chickamauga & Chattanooga National Military Park, and Shenandoah National Park.

Other cooperating organizations that are contributing to the search include: Backcountry Unit Search and Rescue, Black Diamond Search and Rescue, Blount County Rescue Squad, Blount County Special Operations Response Team, Blue and Gray Search and Rescue Dogs, Blue Ridge Mountain Rescue Group, Buncombe County Rescue Squad, Catons Chapel-Richardson Cove Volunteer Fire Department, Cherokee Indian Police Department, Cherokee Tribal EMS, Gatlinburg Police Department, Henderson County Rescue Squad and EMS, Jackson County Sheriff’s Office, Knox County Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Management, Knoxville-Knox County Emergency Management Agency, Maryville Police Department, North Carolina Emergency Management Agency, Northview Kodak Fire Department, Pigeon Forge Police Department, Sevier County Emergency Management Agency, Sevier County Volunteer Rescue Squad, Sevier County Sheriff’s Office, Sevierville Police Department, Southwest Virginia Mountain Rescue Group, Seymour Volunteer Fire Department, Smoky Mountain Nordic Ski Patrol, Smoky Mountain Search and Rescue Team, Swain County Emergency Management Agency, Swain County Rescue Squad, Swain County Sheriff’s Office, Tennessee Army National Guard, Tennessee Emergency Management Agency, Tennesse Highway Patrol, and Walden’s Creek Volunteer Fire Department.
https://theonefeather.com/2018/10/park-continues-extensive-search-for-missing-woman/
upload_2018-10-2_7-20-52.jpeg

Silly question, but I haven't seen anything posted in the thread yet about this- have they used thermal imaging to try and find her? If she was alive, I would think this too would be helpful in locating her quicker. It's been six days, but she could be still alive if she found a water source and was able to eat some of the plants there. I feel bad for this woman- she sounded like she was very close to the parking lot, right? Almost at the end of her hike? Did she turn around and go back up the trail because something caught her eye, or maybe she dropped something?
In the first 3 days after she went missing it was very foggy so flying anything (even drones) with thermal imaging would have been difficult if not impossible to do. (I was an airline pilot before becoming LE and am a licensed drone operator). She might be OK with edible plants and water but she was wearing light day wear and it was wet and in the low 50's/upper 40's at night.

When most people think of hypothermia, they think of frigid temperatures or blizzard-like conditions. Actually, hypothermia occurs most often in the spring and fall, rather than winter. Four factors contribute to cold stress: cold temperatures, high or cold wind, dampness, and cold water. A cold environment forces the body to work harder to maintain its core temperature of 98.6oF. Cold air and water all draw heat from the body. So, while it is obvious that below freezing conditions combined with inadequate clothing could bring about cold stress, it is important to understand that it can also be brought about by temperatures in the 50's coupled with rain and/or wind.

Unfortunately, dressed as she was I don't think she survived more than 48 hours and thermal imaging will not be a help when the weather clears.

I can't figure out how to get the linked video out of facebook, but a WBIR reporter had the most extensive coverage I've seen. I'm sad the story is not getting out more widely.

ETA: this has a clear graphical representation of the mountain, key locations, trails taken, and possible trails she could gotten lost on with a wrong turn.

This article has the daughter's story a little bit different:
"She and her daughter were on their way back from Andrews Bald, a 1.8-mile hike each way. Campbell said her daughter wanted to climb up to the Clingmans Dome Observation Tower, and because she was hiking faster, she told her mother she would go ahead and then meet her back at the parking lot."
It also says last seen a half mile from Andrews Bald which is the outward end of the hike, so about a mile and a half from the parking lot.

Wow-about a mile and a half from the parking lot...seems so close, but if there’s a lot of up and down, that can be hard for someone who may not have been properly attired, or physically fit. I do wonder if she strayed from the trail, like the woman on the Appalachian Trail a couple of years ago did, and couldn’t find her way back to the trail. It’s actually rather easy to do.

As of Monday, Campbell said, searchers have hiked more than 500 miles on trails looking for Clements. In addition, experienced search personnel, canine teams, and drones with specialized search-and-rescue equipment have been used to conduct more intensive off-trail “grid-searches” of approximately 10 square miles in the steep, rugged terrain that straddles the North Carolina-Tennessee border.
One week after a hiker went missing in Great Smoky Mountains, searchers have no clues

I can't believe she still hasn't been found.

I can't figure out how to get the linked video out of facebook, but a WBIR reporter had the most extensive coverage I've seen. I'm sad the story is not getting out more widely.

ETA: this has a clear graphical representation of the mountain, key locations, trails taken, and possible trails she could gotten lost on with a wrong turn.

In addition I read thermal imaging and drones used last Sunday. There was a great video on ABC news but I couldn’t get it to copy/paste.

Great news report. Very encouraging they found a teen last year? summer? who was missing 11 days. Glad they're still searching.

I haven't been able to catch up on all the posts yet so I don't know if this has been talked about already. If it has I apologize for posting again. It probably doesn't have anything to do with her disappearance but it did make me stop & wonder. According to reports she is an accounting tech for this government agency. According to this article which was published about 10 days before she went missing the agency is under investigation & audit for some big misspending. Auditor: Cincinnati's Metropolitan Sewer District made $779K in improper payments

I haven't been able to catch up on all the posts yet so I don't know if this has been talked about already. If it has I apologize for posting again. It probably doesn't have anything to do with her disappearance but it did make me stop & wonder. According to reports she is an accounting tech for this government agency. According to this article which was published about 10 days before she went missing the agency is under investigation & audit for some big misspending. Auditor: Cincinnati's Metropolitan Sewer District made $779K in improper payments

It's an interesting theory, but according to the news story most of the audit/ investigation was done in 2016. As an accounting tech, she would have helped the auditor with that investigation back in 2016. If they had a problem with her work, something would have happened in 2016-2017. Sounds like she was still employed, so it seems unlikely she was under pressure for anything. At this point, her work on the audit was probably finished.

The problems seem to be with private contractors who were doing work for the city sewer system. At this stage of the investigation, they're making those folks show receipts, come up with an explanation or repay some money.

So, no, I don't see where she was involved in any wrongdoing. That would have come out a long time ago, at the earlier stages of the audit. JMO

That is a great report. A little factual issue, though. The teen found last year was not "found." He woke up one morning after 11 days and saw boats (kayaks) on the river below him.
Teen's 11 days alone and lost in Smokies detailed by park officials

And Susan's story finally made the front page of the Asheville Citizen-Times today. Nothing new, so not going to link it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RLP
Back