NC - Officer, several others dead at Raleigh active shooting scene, 13 Oct 2022 *suspect is a minor*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
For the sake of the hearts and minds and PTSD-risks of all involved law enforcement, I very much hope this was not a bullet from an officer. Even if it was . the right and prudent move given the situation, still an extraordinarily emotional load to have to live with.
From what I could tell listening to the scanner, LE only fired rubber bullets in an attempt to flush him out of his hiding spot. (I think he was in a shed or garage, but I could be wrong about that.)

When the rubber bullets didn’t work, they sent in a robot. The camera on the robot showed the shooter was sorta slumped over against a wall with his hands behind his head and his gun sitting next to him. They knew he wasn’t dead because he was still moving around, but he wasn’t following their commands either. (They had asked him to remove his backpack. They also thought he might have a grenade, and of course, his gun was sitting there.) LE used the robot to remove the backpack and any other weapons in the area, and then they entered the property and arrested him.

When they requested medical, they reported a GSW to the front of the head but said he was still breathing. It took almost an hour for the bomb truck to arrive though, so he was without medical attention for at least two hours.

Last edited:
@cujenn81 , I heard all the same info you stated. I am VERY surprised he is still alive by the sound of that GSW. I thoroughly expected to hear he had died yesterday.

I do wonder what condition he will be in if he does live. I can't imagine his parents' thoughts and feelings right now, one child dead at the hand of another and another one on his deathbed, who, even if he lives, will most likely never be free again. And what in the world do you do/say if you are a friend/neighbor/co-worker of the parents?

A security guard working in the area called 911 to report a person was shot, but then discovered the victim was a police officer.

“I have a male shot …. he’s an off-duty cop!?!?!?” the caller said — seemingly asking others while telling dispatchers.

“He is off duty and he is Raleigh PD … shot in the chest,” the security officer added, giving the badge number to dispatchers. “Officer down! Officer down!”

I did a little research today on GSW to the head (GWH), and this is what I found in a neurosurgery journal:

"The largest retrospective studies to date have shown that penetrating GWH are very often fatal even with appropriate medical and surgical treatment, with 71% of patients dying at the scene, 66-90% of those dying before reaching a hospital, and up to a 51% survival rate among those reaching the hospital alive." Civilian gunshot wounds to the head: a case report, clinical management, and literature review - Chinese Neurosurgical Journal

The article highlights the shooting of a 53 yo male, shot twice in the head and unconscious/unresponsive when found 3 hrs after the occurrence. And he survived with almost complete recovery.

This 15yo will have youth on his side as far as recovery.

Interesting question here that the prosecution will have to address, if the shooter medically recovers enough to be tried (I hope so): do you charge him with killing a police officer, if the officer was off-duty and not in uniform and wasn’t otherwise clearly LE? Same question came up earlier this year in Houston, when a group of late teens pulled an armed robbery of a restaurant patio, shot a patron who had actually given them his wallet - and that patron turned out to be an off-duty New Orleans cop. What do you charge here and how might a jury respond?

Interesting question here that the prosecution will have to address, if the shooter medically recovers enough to be tried (I hope so): do you charge him with killing a police officer, if the officer was off-duty and not in uniform and wasn’t otherwise clearly LE? Same question came up earlier this year in Houston, when a group of late teens pulled an armed robbery of a restaurant patio, shot a patron who had actually given them his wallet - and that patron turned out to be an off-duty New Orleans cop. What do you charge here and how might a jury respond?
What was the charge there?

What was the charge there?
Great question, here’s where it gets legally interesting. They were charged in Texas with Capital Murder. There are ten possible criteria for that charge. Killing a peace officer is one of the ten, but they also met at least two other criteria - it was a murder committed in the context of a robbery, and it was a murder of multiple people in the same event.

North Carolina defines this all differently. There is a specific and relatively new law, and a specific increased death benefit for the widow, if they charge and convict. MSM Source: North Carolina lawmakers introduce Conner's Law to increase penalty for using a weapon to assault law enforcement

ETA: corrected rookie spelling mistake

Last edited:
I did a little research today on GSW to the head (GWH), and this is what I found in a neurosurgery journal:

"The largest retrospective studies to date have shown that penetrating GWH are very often fatal even with appropriate medical and surgical treatment, with 71% of patients dying at the scene, 66-90% of those dying before reaching a hospital, and up to a 51% survival rate among those reaching the hospital alive." Civilian gunshot wounds to the head: a case report, clinical management, and literature review - Chinese Neurosurgical Journal

The article highlights the shooting of a 53 yo male, shot twice in the head and unconscious/unresponsive when found 3 hrs after the occurrence. And he survived with almost complete recovery.

This 15yo will have youth on his side as far as recovery.
I'm not quite sure if I want him to survive and face justice or die. as a parent, how do you ever balance that?

Living in a world of guns is terrifying, my love sent to previous posters who feel unsafe even at home.

I don't and won't EVER understand kids access to guns.

If this weapon was legally acquired by his parents and then unsecured in the home, I challenge us all to have the fundamental discussion about that. We are a country in mental-health crisis particularly post-COVID. Such a difficult but important topic. Will be very interested in what eventually factually comes to light regarding the origin of this gun.
Doesn’t North Carolina have a safe storage law for firearms?

Doesn’t North Carolina have a safe storage law for firearms?

Safe storage laws have been found unconstitutional.

Accordingly, it struck down as unconstitutional provisions of a D.C. law that (1) effectively banned possession of handguns by non law enforcement officials and (2) required lawfully owned firearms to be kept unloaded, disassembled, or locked when not located at a business place or being used for lawful recreational activities.

bbm

That being said, the firearms at the Laughing homestead are for the most part locked. Biometric safes are fast enough for reasonable home defense.

jmho ymmv lrr

I'm not quite sure if I want him to survive and face justice or die. as a parent, how do you ever balance that?

Living in a world of guns is terrifying, my love sent to previous posters who feel unsafe even at home.

This (potentially) reminds me of the school shooter in Michigan. The one whose parents purchased his gun as an early Christmas present.

This (potentially) reminds me of the school shooter in Michigan. The one whose parents purchased his gun as an early Christmas present.

You could very well be right! Just because he wasn’t dressed for work that day doesn’t mean he hasn’t been for others. Also just plain neighborhood word of mouth.
If he was a detective or in any administrative position he probably dressed professionally on most days and wore the uniform only for official ceremonies, etc.

“Detectives have so far not found any social media footprint for the younger Thompson boy, but are sifting through ‘written material’ taken from the family home in an attempt to make some sense of what happened.

One neighbor, who asked not to be named, recalled Austin and James kids who ‘played ball in the street with the rest of the neighborhood kids.’

He told DailyMail.com: ‘They were sporty and so the other kids liked playing with them. Austin was livelier than James, he was younger, I suppose.

‘If there was any issue of mental health problems then they kept it in house. I never saw or heard anything untoward.’

He described the family as ‘just a regular family.’

‘They went to work and school, and you’d see them coming home or to say good morning to,' he said. ‘They got all smart and went to church every morning. I don’t know if we’ll ever know what happened here.’

But another, who went to school with the brothers described them as ‘often distant’ to the point that he once asked James if the boys were related.

The former schoolmate at Knightdale High School where James was a junior said: ‘I was in the same year as James, but we didn’t have any classes together.

‘We’d get the bus together, sometimes they would sit together, sometimes they wouldn’t. They were kind of distant from each other to be brothers. I even asked James once if they were related because they looked alike, and he said they weren’t.’

Another recalled the ‘baby-faced’ killer as a strange kid who walked around at 4.30am with a book bag and helped his father, who was a handyman, with odd jobs.”

One of the victims killed was an off-duty Raleigh police officer, Gabriel Torres, 29, who was on his way to work, authorities said.

….

With him on his way to work I assumed he was in his cruiser &
Uniform.
Seeing that is for Greensboro. In Md they drive cruiser home.

"...killed while in plain clothes, inside his car."

The white Honda shown with the driver's door open, and crime scene tape around it, was his car. He was apparently getting into his car when he was killed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EmmaV
Back