NC - Officer, several others dead at Raleigh active shooting scene, 13 Oct 2022 *suspect is a minor*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

“Detectives have so far not found any social media footprint for the younger Thompson boy, but are sifting through ‘written material’ taken from the family home in an attempt to make some sense of what happened.

One neighbor, who asked not to be named, recalled Austin and James kids who ‘played ball in the street with the rest of the neighborhood kids.’

He told DailyMail.com: ‘They were sporty and so the other kids liked playing with them. Austin was livelier than James, he was younger, I suppose.

‘If there was any issue of mental health problems then they kept it in house. I never saw or heard anything untoward.’

He described the family as ‘just a regular family.’

‘They went to work and school, and you’d see them coming home or to say good morning to,' he said. ‘They got all smart and went to church every morning. I don’t know if we’ll ever know what happened here.’

But another, who went to school with the brothers described them as ‘often distant’ to the point that he once asked James if the boys were related.

The former schoolmate at Knightdale High School where James was a junior said: ‘I was in the same year as James, but we didn’t have any classes together.

‘We’d get the bus together, sometimes they would sit together, sometimes they wouldn’t. They were kind of distant from each other to be brothers. I even asked James once if they were related because they looked alike, and he said they weren’t.’

Another recalled the ‘baby-faced’ killer as a strange kid who walked around at 4.30am with a book bag and helped his father, who was a handyman, with odd jobs.”
They went to church every morning?

Yeah, that seemed like an odd statement to me, too. I am wondering if they meant every week. JMO

Had neighbors years ago southern baptist, went to church sunday & wednesday. They were not allowed outside to play either day.

Not knowing which church they attended, there are churches in the area that you can attend every day. And that are open 24 hours.

Jmo

so far it seems like some severe (brothers issue) or family dysfunction leading to a killing spree
was it premidiated or provoked ..depends on what they find and how he got the gun
again blame it on mental illness ..video game..SM and the internet
there is nothing being done...most families would be in denial in dealing with these issues

The teenager suspected in the fatal shootings of five people in Raleigh, North Carolina, is still in "grave" condition, a law enforcement official briefed on the investigation into the mass shooting told ABC News.

The 15-year-old was taken into custody with life-threatening injuries following a standoff with police last Thursday after the shootings occurred, according to a memo issued by the Department of Homeland Security and obtained by ABC News. It's not clear whether the suspect's injuries were self-inflicted, the memo said.

While the investigation into whether the suspect's injuries are the result of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, detectives believe responding police fired at the suspect, so officer-involved-shooting protocols are being followed, the official said.

Raleigh Police Chief Estella Patterson will file a five-day report to the Raleigh city manager on Oct. 20, which will include a detailed outline of the events during the shooting, Julia Milstead, public information officer for the city of Raleigh, told ABC News.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/raleigh-mass-shooting-victims/story?id=91518372

IMO motive is overrated----- family members want to know why he did this------
There is no why ------he did it because he wanted to kill people and he was
Sadly and horrifically successful.

So for those that look for motives, would it be he was bullied or mad at his mother
Or maybe he and his brother had a fight --'''are those really motives? He did
What he did because he is evil

So for those that look for motives, would it be he was bullied or mad at his mother
I'm one that always looks for the motive. Even evil starts somewhere. What made him evil? The motives are rarely valid for murder, but it gives a look into the killer's mind. As someone who works with children, I'm always wondering if there's something I can do in the early years to keep situations like this from happening. One thing I do notice: kids mimic adults, from infancy through adolescence. Often, you can see that once details of their home/social life emerge, they idolized, copied someone.

I'm one that always looks for the motive. Even evil starts somewhere. What made him evil? The motives are rarely valid for murder, but it gives a look into the killer's mind. As someone who works with children, I'm always wondering if there's something I can do in the early years to keep situations like this from happening. One thing I do notice: kids mimic adults, from infancy through adolescence. Often, you can see that once details of their home/social life emerge, they idolized, copied someone.
You can also notice social quirks at a very young age. IMO

IMO this was not a domestic rage response to a fight with his older brother. One, he was dressed in Camo which he wouldn’t have done “after” killing his brother and going on the shooting spree in the neighborhood. Don’t think he would have had time. Also, if he was enraged by his brother in a fight or something, I would think the weapon would be more personal like a knife or hammer/hatchet.

MOO is that this was pre-planned. Something was going on with school, friends, inner rage at his brother/Mom that made him preplan. He seemed to be on his way through the neighborhood to the Greenway from the start after leaving the home, shooting whomever he saw along the way. Wondering if he was heading to the Beaverdam Elementary School which was on the way from the Neuse River Trail Bridge crossing to where he was found in the barn?

IMO, his brother came across him with his Camo and shotgun, realized he couldn’t stop him, got scared and ran/locked himself in the bathroom. He may have had his phone and called his Mom. Her LinkedIn (since deleted) says she was with a large car dealership in Raleigh, with the main office off of Capital Blvd. It is a 15 minute drive home on New Hope or 540 outer loop which is right there. Since it was said she arrived home in a panic,with her car still in the road and ran in to find her son in the bathroom deceased, she probable heard the whole thing while it was happening. Horrific. Maybe she was on the phone the whole time and not able to call 911. JMO.

He also had access to a deadly weapon… however that was obtained.

he can be born a sociopath ..and its nothing to do with family I am talking generally.. ...ive seen episodes of ( evil lives here ) where the mother saw her child was showing evil signs and that he was dangerous.. she ran from place to place asking for help.. no one helped her into her son committed his first murder

IMO, this could be a case of a copy cat crime.That may be far fetched but it has happened before.
The Devin clark and lyric woods case who’s remains were discovered September 18
A month apart from this tragic event and both in the same state less than 50 miles apart but
Whatever the reason (motive)for this. There had to be some kind of a mental problem that was
Undetected and only appeared from time to time.
And when it did nothing was done.

IMO, this could be a case of a copy cat crime.That may be far fetched but it has happened before.
A month apart from this tragic event and both in the same state less than 50 miles apart but
Whatever the reason (motive)for this. There had to be some kind of a mental problem that was
Maybe I’m oblivious but I don’t see any similarities between the murder of DC/LW and this murder spree. Could you share what you see them having in common?

IMO this was not a domestic rage response to a fight with his older brother. One, he was dressed in Camo which he wouldn’t have done “after” killing his brother and going on the shooting spree in the neighborhood. Don’t think he would have had time. Also, if he was enraged by his brother in a fight or something, I would think the weapon would be more personal like a knife or hammer/hatchet.

MOO is that this was pre-planned. Something was going on with school, friends, inner rage at his brother/Mom that made him preplan. He seemed to be on his way through the neighborhood to the Greenway from the start after leaving the home, shooting whomever he saw along the way. Wondering if he was heading to the Beaverdam Elementary School which was on the way from the Neuse River Trail Bridge crossing to where he was found in the barn?

IMO, his brother came across him with his Camo and shotgun, realized he couldn’t stop him, got scared and ran/locked himself in the bathroom. He may have had his phone and called his Mom. Her LinkedIn (since deleted) says she was with a large car dealership in Raleigh, with the main office off of Capital Blvd. It is a 15 minute drive home on New Hope or 540 outer loop which is right there. Since it was said she arrived home in a panic,with her car still in the road and ran in to find her son in the bathroom deceased, she probable heard the whole thing while it was happening. Horrific. Maybe she was on the phone the whole time and not able to call 911. JMO.
That last paragraph …. the stuff a mother’s nightmares are made of. Like you said, horrific. I pray this is not the way it happened. It is hard to fathom what this mom is going through looking at the totality of what we do know already.

I agree that a mentally stable person does not engage in a killing spree. But I fear just simply chalking it up to a psychiatric illness perpetuates stigma towards those living with a mental illness. Means restriction goes a long way towards preventing acts of self-harm and violence towards others. If the family had any suspicion that the child was “off” or if there was any concerning change in behavior, securing firearms and locking away large doses of medicine, knives, etc. would be an important safety measure. I suspect we’ll find out more about how the shooter obtained the firearm. It’s a tragedy, for sure, and doubly tragic for the family of these brothers.

Maybe I’m oblivious but I don’t see any similarities I between the murder of DC/LW and this murder spree. Could you share what you see them having in common?
Just by the fact that murder’s were committed with a gun. A copy cat crime does not have to be an exact replica of a crime.
The crime that was committed inspired some one else to carry out a crime similar in nature. It appears that both of these crimes were filed with rage, and premeditated
but I do see your point.

https://doi.org/10.1093/acrefore/9780190264079.01

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EmmaV