NC - Officer, several others dead at Raleigh active shooting scene, 13 Oct 2022 *suspect is a minor*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
News is indicating the shooter had two firearms. I am wondering if he stole the officers handgun after shooting him with the rifle and used the officers gun to shoot a few of his victims.
I was trying to reply to another but clicked this and can't get out of it.. sorry. I am close to this and unfortunately sitting on my hands as there hasn't been much news coming out. As with many other investigations, the detectives know a lot more than what has been reported. Raleigh Police Chief will file a five-day report to the Raleigh city manager on Oct. 20, which will include a details of the events during the shooting. I don't know if or when it will be released publicly. <modsnip: rumor, no link to support info> Also, IMO, I don't believe there will be a trial as he is in "grave" condition which has been reported and verified by those close to the event. Time will tell if we do get to hear more publicly. 15-year-old suspect in Raleigh shooting remains in 'grave' condition: Official

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven’t seen any updates on the shooter, but I am so sad for all of the families, even his family. I cannot imagine the pain, one son murdered and the other son, not only killed him, but 4 others and the dogs and the others who were shot. I would think everything had been searched by now and that there aren’t other victims, but just such a horrific event. These killers keep getting younger and younger, this is the third recent case that I am following involving juveniles killing.

Thompson family announces celebration of life details for son killed in mass shooting

RALEIGH, N.C. (WTVD) -- A celebration of life will be held tomorrow for 16-year-old James Thompson.

His parents said in a statement yesterday that he was shot and killed last week by his younger brother, Austin Thompson.

Four others were killed and two were injured in the mass shooting that took place in the Hedingham neighborhood on October 13.

James was a junior at Knightdale High School.

The celebration of life will be held at 7 p.m. Thursday at Trinity Baptist Church on Six Forks Road.

Thompson family announces celebration of life details for son killed in mass shooting

RALEIGH, N.C. (WTVD) -- A celebration of life will be held tomorrow for 16-year-old James Thompson.

His parents said in a statement yesterday that he was shot and killed last week by his younger brother, Austin Thompson.

Four others were killed and two were injured in the mass shooting that took place in the Hedingham neighborhood on October 13.

James was a junior at Knightdale High School.

The celebration of life will be held at 7 p.m. Thursday at Trinity Baptist Church on Six Forks Road.
It's bad to say, but I was wondering if the parents were waiting to get through the funeral for this son, before maybe deciding what to do about the other one. I don't know, but 6 days out, and still in critical condition, sometimes referred to as "grave" condition in reports, I wonder if perhaps he is only being kept alive on life support, and perhaps has no chance of recovering. Regardless of whatever happened that caused this 15-year-old to go on this rampage, my heart goes out to his family, just as it does to all of the other families who suffered losses. JMO

It's bad to say, but I was wondering if the parents were waiting to get through the funeral for this son, before maybe deciding what to do about the other one. I don't know, but 6 days out, and still in critical condition, sometimes referred to as "grave" condition in reports, I wonder if perhaps he is only being kept alive on life support, and perhaps has no chance of recovering. Regardless of whatever happened that caused this 15-year-old to go on this rampage, my heart goes out to his family, just as it does to all of the other families who suffered losses. JMO
Yes, everything you said regarding his condition I believe to be the case.

It's bad to say, but I was wondering if the parents were waiting to get through the funeral for this son, before maybe deciding what to do about the other one. I don't know, but 6 days out, and still in critical condition, sometimes referred to as "grave" condition in reports, I wonder if perhaps he is only being kept alive on life support, and perhaps has no chance of recovering. Regardless of whatever happened that caused this 15-year-old to go on this rampage, my heart goes out to his family, just as it does to all of the other families who suffered losses

I have to say this is shocking based on the wound. No one expected him to survive this.

Raleigh mass shooting suspect's medical condition improves, brother's funeral planned for Thursday

Doesn’t North Carolina have a safe storage law for firearms?

Sure. We've also got laws against driving faster than the speed limit. Neither of those does much, IMO.

Maybe a dozen years ago there was a case in a rural community in North Carolina; a woman was watching a houseful of children, most of them her own grandchildren. And one kid picked a loaded handgun (belonged IIRC to the woman's son, father of a few of those children), and killed another child while playing with it.

And the woman was on a local TV news program, saying how tragic it all was, but she said (best I remember it), "It's horrible, but what can you do? Kids just love to play with guns." So the law may say to keep them disarmed and locked away but that just doesn't seem to be reasonable to some people--any more than the people on I-40 feel it's unreasonable of me to be driving not much over the speed limit. (I've had some REAL rage poured my way for doing the speed limit, especially near the airport.)

BTW, I see a lot of us here either live in the Raleigh area, or used to. I'm in the western part of Raleigh, about halfway between the fairgrounds and Gypsy's Shiny DIner. The shootings were maybe 20 miles away, in a part of Raleigh (northeast) I've never even visited. We often run out to do errands without locking our doors. I usually leave my car unlocked because it's convenient. From the news stories, it sounds like the Hedingham neighborhood is generally a safe one, too. It's when you hit the outliers that problems arise.

With a severe head injury like a GSW, doctors sometimes have to wait for the patient’s vitals to stabilize before they can perform surgery. If testing indicates positive brain function and the patient makes it through the surgery, there’s still usually a waiting game while they monitor for brain swelling, cranial pressure, infection, blood clots, and such. I wonder if that’s where his doctors/family are at right now. Even if he survives, I’d expect him to be significantly disabled at a minimum. Although, stranger things have happened, I guess.

I wonder how much improved... just moved to pediatric intensive care from intensive care in critical condition. Is there much difference?

My first thought -- there are no/few other patients in peds ICU, so there is less of a circus? Somehow easier for the parents or for LE?

And, iirc he is 15 -- so pediatrics is a reasonable placement.

jmho ymmv lrr

My first thought -- there are no/few other patients in peds ICU, so there is less of a circus? Somehow easier for the parents or for LE?

And, iirc he is 15 -- so pediatrics is a reasonable placement.

jmho ymmv lrr
Actually, PICUs are usually pretty hectic places, because they bring children in from literally hundreds of miles away if they need a level of care they can't get closer to home. Most of them don't stay there very long either, but when they do, they're there for weeks or even months.

He would still be under heavy security. I'm sure a PICU would not be as accustomed as an adult unit to having an inmate or criminal suspect as a patient, but they're prepared for just about anything.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hunter2_1
Back