NC - Shaniya Davis, 5, 11/10/09 TRIAL THREAD

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Michael Futch ‏@FO_Futch 1h
Court wrapping up 20-minute break for defense lawyers to talk w/ defendant Mario McNeill #ShaniyaDavis

Outside front of courthouse sign saying what not allowed in courtroom 4A. Gets attention. For Mario McNeill murder trial #ShaniyaDavis

Lawyers in McNeill case need to seat two or three more alternate jurors after selecting one Wednesday #ShaniyaDavis

Mario McNeill murder trial resumes this morning w/ potential female alternate being quesitioned by state #ShaniyaDavis

Paul Woolverton ‏@FO_Woolverton 18m
2nd alternate picked in shaniya case. #ShaniyaDavis

Michael Futch ‏@FO_Futch 8m
3rd alternate juror seated in MarioMcNeill murder trial #ShaniyaDavis

Michael Futch ‏@FO_Futch 29s
Judge wants one more alternate juror, a 4th, to go w/ 12-member jury #ShaniyaDavis

Shaniya's horrible death is the hardest case I've followed. Actually, most of them are horrible and hard but Shaniya's haunts me it seems due to how sick it is. She was just a little innocent girl. The pictures of him holding her at the motel haunt me the most. It's just sick how she died. No mercy for either of them who let this happen. None.

Any juror selected that doesn't know about Shaniya's death might also have the facts linger for a while too. Prayers for swifter damn justice & for the jurors who make it happen. May they not have the horrible facts haunt them like it did some of us following when they found her.

RIP Shaniya, you will be heard & remembered forever.

Now get this trial over with!

I join you, Dr. Know, in your prayers & hope for swift justice for that sweet, trusting child. We are all of the same mind on this one, I think. It would be impossible not to feel the same way. The person who committed these crimes was a brute animal, IMO. <smh>
icon8.gif

The scene of that ~man~ holding her at the elevator is the one that just haunts me -- and so many others of us, I'm sure. I keep seeing that one in my mind -- and notice how she is -- probably unconsciously -- crossing her little ankles.... Is it some kind of (the only kind of) protection her little mind is helping her do to try to avoid an intruder?? Oh, my.

I do think the jury will carry this case with them the rest of their lives, and I imagine that their memories will be even stronger & more imprinted than ours. I hope they can carry it with them knowing that they did the right thing as jurors (please!). They will see horrible photos of TA and the scene, autopsy drawings & those photos, hear the ME's descriptions, hear the detective talking detail by gruesome detail etc., etc., etc. They may even hear the defendant testify, and they will prolly hear MD, her ~mother~, testify.

I hope we never encounter anything like this again, but we probably will.

Nicole Carr &#8207;@NicoleCarrWTVD 4m
4th and final alternate has been chosen. Opening statements begin Monday morning at 9:30 am #ShaniyaDavis #ABC11

http://www.fayobserver.com/articles/2013/04/18/1251202?sac=fo.local
Jury selection completed for Mario McNeill murder trial, opening statements set for Monday
Jury selection finished today in the Mario McNeill capital murder trial for the rape and death of 5-year-old Shaniya Davis.
The final three alternate jurors were selected today.
The trial's panel has 16 members: 12 (eight women, four men) plus four alternates (three women, one man).

Yes! Now let's hope they are a good, strong jury. They will be haunted by this case - we are... no way around it.

Justice is coming Shaniya!

Salem

Shaniya's horrible death is the hardest case I've followed. Actually, most of them are horrible and hard but Shaniya's haunts me it seems due to how sick it is. She was just a little innocent girl. The pictures of him holding her at the motel haunt me the most. It's just sick how she died. No mercy for either of them who let this happen. None.

Any juror selected that doesn't know about Shaniya's death might also have the facts linger for a while too. Prayers for swifter damn justice & for the jurors who make it happen. May they not have the horrible facts haunt them like it did some of us following when they found her.

RIP Shaniya, you will be heard & remembered forever.

Now get this trial over with!

thank you Dr. know

:hug:

Nicole Carr &#8207;@NicoleCarrWTVD 5h
#Breaking:Sides WILL be back in court Fri.arguing abt allowing fact McNeill led investigators to #ShaniyaDavis body into evidence #ABC11

Nicole Carr &#8207;@NicoleCarrWTVD 5h
#Breaking:Sides WILL be back in court Fri.arguing abt allowing fact McNeill led investigators to #ShaniyaDavis body into evidence #ABC11

I've read two diff versions on how she was discovered. One...that he informed LE where to find her and Two...that she was found by a regular citizen. Anyone know which one is more accurate?

Also, has the plea been completely taken off the table at this point or can he change his mind before trial/during trial???

http://www.fayobserver.com/articles/2013/04/19/1251461?sac=fo.local
Motions hearing set for this morning in Shaniya Davis trial
A motions hearing is scheduled for 9:30 a.m. today in the Mario McNeill capital murder case.
Superior Court Judge Jim Ammons is expected to consider a request by McNeill's lawyers to prevent prosecutors from telling the jury that McNeill knew where Shaniya Davis' body was hidden.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=9071963
Twist in Shaniya Davis murder case
There was a twist Friday morning in the capital murder trial revolving around the death of a 5-year-old Fayetteville girl.
A jury is seated in the trial, but Friday morning, during a hearing, the public and press were asked to leave.
The move came after the state and defense began to disagree Thursday afternoon on whether to allow information into evidence pertaining to McNeill leading investigators to the child's body.
At a motions hearing Friday morning, Judge Jim Ammons unexpectedly cleared the courtroom.

Nicole Carr &#8207;@NicoleCarrWTVD 4m
4th and final alternate has been chosen. Opening statements begin Monday morning at 9:30 am #ShaniyaDavis #ABC11

Thank you, The Cheese! I'm so glad they decided to have 4 alternates -- I just want to feel secure, if possible, in thinking that nothing will happen to cause a mistrial.

And Monday approaches.....

Good that this is finally being heard. I am not happy that there is a question about letting in the fact that he knew where she was. Hopefully, this info will be allowed. Really tough go here, this will be hard on all. Not hard enough on MM, but I am glad not to watch it being televised. Don't know if I could handle it and I would feel obligated to watch.
See you all here on Monday.

RIP Shaniya

Weird, huh, glee?

Has the Judge been in touch with the former defense attys and they told him about some deal or did they say that they might give him a deal if the info was reliable? Or was MAM close to accepting a LWOP plea? Did MAM tell the judge that Shaniya just died "on her own" shortly after he got her into the room? (AS IF nothing he did to her prior to getting to the motel had anything to do with her death?)

Monday will tell, I hope.

Weird, huh, glee?

Has the Judge been in touch with the former defense attys and they told him about some deal or did they say that they might give him a deal if the info was reliable? Or was MAM close to accepting a LWOP plea? Did MAM tell the judge that Shaniya just died "on her own" shortly after he got her into the room? (AS IF nothing he did to her prior to getting to the motel had anything to do with her death?)

Monday will tell, I hope.

I just don't know what to think. Spent most of the week following the Boston stuff and just happened upon this on the local news last night. :banghead: Hoping it's some last ditch effort without too much merit. :facepalm:

Checked other local news sources without enlightenment. Perhaps the judge adjourned till Monday morning to give time for lawyers to write briefs on the issue?? Just don't know what it could be or how tenuous it could make the case.

Hoping for justice for this child, as far as MAM and her "mother" are concerned.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RETI20
Back