NC NC - Shannon Rippy VanNewkirk, 54, Wilmington, 5 April 2014 *GUILTY

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yes. Usually nothing good comes out of those "complicated" arrangements

If LE suspects foul play...they have a reason, IMO and do not believe she was arrested or took off...

Curious if by now LE has identified who she was with that evening, and if so, if they have interviewed them. Still not much information on how she got to the bar and who she may have contacted after speaking with her mother. I don't put any weight in telling her mother she was going to bed. Often people will say one thing and do another, especially if they don't want the other person to worry. Her mother must be elderly. Just sad the poor woman now has to worry what happened to her daughter...

:(

MOO

https://www.facebook.com/events/619207968154616/

On April 8, someone addresses the "not "missing segway.
I wonder where the segway was found?
I also wonder if she was picked up from her home? Or if she left the bar with someone?
IMOO.

Thanks Treelights. I've been reading that quote over and over trying to read between the lines. The quote about it not being at her home but was located and was NOT missing leads me to believe that it was found in a location where one would expect to find it. The bar? If so, that would mean she left the bar with someone and left the segway there.

The part of the post that also stands out to me is the part that 'they are not sure that she was home at 7pm when she spoke to her mom and said she was going to bed early'. That helps me reconcile the timeline of her both leaving the Husk and speaking to her mom via phone at the same time, 'about 7'.

Y'all don't latch onto this as fact because this info is paraphrased from 'Search Team for Shannon Rippy' FB page and is considered rumor and I don't wish to muddy the waters.

My gut tells me she may have stashed the segway at the Husk. When I bartended, I stashed bikes, pool cue sticks, and other misc objects in the back room for our 'regulars'. I wonder if she accepted a ride home with someone from the bar?

JMO.....wm

If she told her mom she was going to bed, yet told her hair dresser she had a date, is she hiding things from her mom? Did something change after she talked to her hairdresser or mom? I would think a grown woman wouldn't have to hide things.

If she told her mom she was going to bed, yet told her hair dresser she had a date, is she hiding things from her mom? Did something change after she talked to her hairdresser or mom? I would think a grown woman wouldn't have to hide things.

Shannon's mother is 80 yrs old according to the above star news link, IIRC. She may have told her mom she was going to bed so that her elderly mom didn't worry. MOO

Curious if by now LE has identified who she was with that evening, and if so, if they have interviewed them. Still not much information on how she got to the bar and who she may have contacted after speaking with her mother. I don't put any weight in telling her mother she was going to bed. Often people will say one thing and do another, especially if they don't want the other person to worry. Her mother must be elderly. Just sad the poor woman now has to worry what happened to her daughter...

MOO

Hello Panthera!
Surely LE will have video of the person she was supposedly arguing with at the Husk Bar as well as any other videos from surrounding businesses, traffic cameras,etc. If he is a local, someone would recognize him if they published a still shot of a POI. Enough time has passed that cell phone records and computer forensics should have some results. I hope and pray that WPD has more than they are telling the public.

I agree with you about Shannon possibly lying to her elderly Mother. In the starnews 3 page article Shannon's brother says something about (paraphrased) "how difficult it is to take care of his 80 yr old mother during this time." The poor woman must be worried out of her mind because Shannon reportedly spoke with her mother and family daily. :(

wm

On the find page for Shannon, I saw a few days a woman asking about the man she was with or about the video of her leaving and a man replied that the police can't tip their hands on everything they know. Something about not letting the person know what was going on. I paraphrased that, but now that it's been so long, I wonder if keeping that info quiet has helped. Unless this woman is being held against her will, I don't see how that helps in finding her.

If he is a married man, it may something she would want to keep away from folks who might judge her.

Hello Panthera!
Surely LE will have video of the person she was supposedly arguing with at the Husk Bar as well as any other videos from surrounding businesses, traffic cameras,etc. If he is a local, someone would recognize him if they published a still shot of a POI. Enough time has passed that cell phone records and computer forensics should have some results. I hope and pray that WPD has more than they are telling the public.

I agree with you about Shannon possibly lying to her elderly Mother. In the starnews 3 page article Shannon's brother says something about (paraphrased) "how difficult it is to take care of his 80 yr old mother during this time." The poor woman must be worried out of her mind because Shannon reportedly spoke with her mother and family daily. :(

wm
And for this reason, as she was communicating with her mother and family daily, I do not believe she voluntarily disappeared. Often when one is a primary caregiver, one does want to just go somewhere to be alone for awhile, however it seems in this case it is her brother who has the main responsibility. I pray her mother is in fairly good health in order to go through this, and that Shannon is found safe very soon.

:praying:

MOO

And for this reason, as she was communicating with her mother and family daily, I do not believe she voluntarily disappeared. Often when one is a primary caregiver, one does want to just go somewhere to be alone for awhile, however it seems in this case it is her brother who has the main responsibility. I pray her mother is in fairly good health in order to go through this, and that Shannon is found safe very soon.

:praying:

MOO

I don't think she voluntarily disappeared either panthera.

http://www.starnewsonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?p=1&tc=pg&AID=2014140419735&tc=ar

Vannewkirk was supposed to meet her mother for a 54th birthday lunch April 6. When her mother arrived at her house, Vannewkirk didn't come to the door, said Shawn Dayton, Vannewkirk's brother.

Her mother left the presents at the door and, when she returned the next morning to find them still sitting in the same spot, called police.

Dayton, who lives in Little River, S.C., has been in Wilmington for the past week searching for his sister and caring for their 80-year-old mother.

"Trying to take care of my mother is the hardest part," Dayton said Thursday afternoon while taking a break from cleaning out Vannewkirk's Fifth Avenue apartment. "She talked to her every day, four or five times a day."

IMO, someone who talks to their mother four or five times a day doesn't just take off voluntarily. :(

wm

I don't think she voluntarily disappeared either panthera.

http://www.starnewsonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?p=1&tc=pg&AID=2014140419735&tc=ar

Vannewkirk was supposed to meet her mother for a 54th birthday lunch April 6. When her mother arrived at her house, Vannewkirk didn't come to the door, said Shawn Dayton, Vannewkirk's brother.

Her mother left the presents at the door and, when she returned the next morning to find them still sitting in the same spot, called police.

Dayton, who lives in Little River, S.C., has been in Wilmington for the past week searching for his sister and caring for their 80-year-old mother.

"Trying to take care of my mother is the hardest part," Dayton said Thursday afternoon while taking a break from cleaning out Vannewkirk's Fifth Avenue apartment. "She talked to her every day, four or five times a day."

IMO, someone who talks to their mother four or five times a day doesn't just take off voluntarily. :(

wm
Absolutely right, they wouldn't just take off and not tell anyone. The family seriously must also believe Shannon will never return as the article states her brother is cleaning out her apartment. It's also possible since she went missing at the beginning of the month she hadn't paid her April rent yet.

MOO

Absolutely right, they wouldn't just take off and not tell anyone. The family seriously must also believe Shannon will never return as the article states her brother is cleaning out her apartment. It's also possible since she went missing at the beginning of the month she hadn't paid her April rent yet.

MOO

Whoa.....now that is strange.....

And if they know who she left with, it's still a secret. After all this time, it's time to spill the beans. I'm not understanding this at all. If she left the bar through the same door she entered, the video would show that. Yet they have kept that info quiet. I feel so sad for her mom and brother.

Well if rent is not paid she will soon be evicted so it makes sense to clean out her apartment before the sheriff puts all of her things on the curb.

Well if rent is not paid she will soon be evicted so it makes sense to clean out her apartment before the sheriff puts all of her things on the curb.

This makes sense.......
But I wonder if Shannon was taken from her home, wouldn't that make her home a crime scene?
With her brother cleaning out the apartment, maybe LE knows that whatever happened, did not happen at her apartment, perhaps?
Maybe there is footage of her leaving the bar with someone else, and there is
no video of her coming back to the apartment? Or maybe her cell phone pinged elsewhere, and she left the apartment unharmed??
IMOO.

Shannon's case was on page three so I thought I'd bump it up to page 1 with something to keep the conversation going. There has been no information on the news and no Search for Shannon notifications on my FB.

Here's something that has been nagging at me. I fear there is a serial killer in/around the Wilmington area and I fear Shannon's case may grow cold like others have in Wilmington.
Which doesn't give me alot of faith in WPD to solve Shannon's disappearance. I'll post some links for you all to read and perhaps we can compare and contrast these cases.

This link is to the disappearance to Allison Jackson Foy's thread here at WS. Allison disappeared in '06 and her remains were found in '08 along with the skeletal remains of Angela Nobles Rothen who disappeared on '07. Their remains were found side by side (albeit scattered due to animal activity)in a wooded area off Carolina Beach Road. Allison's case didn't garner much attention here at WS and her thread is only 5 pages long. Probably because of no news in the case. Angela doesn't have a thread here at WS but she is discussed in Allison's thread after their remains were found in '08.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41933&highlight=Allison+-Wilmington

Here is a link to a 2011 star news article about the victims. I recommend reading all the links in Allison's thread if you have the time because I've exceeded my 5 visits this month to starnews and cannot link them but there is an article in there about all the women missing from our area.

http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20110728/ARTICLES/110729601/1177?p=1&tc=pg

I thought maybe we can compare and contrast the circumstances of these women's lives and their disappearances. Here are a few of my thoughts.

Shannon & Allison were both last seen in bars. Allison was waiting on a cab because she had too much to drink. Shannon entered the bar at 3 pm and last seen at 7 pm so there's a good chance she would have a good buz and wasn't able to drive her segway home.

Angela was last seen when being dropped off by her parents at her home on Lex Road in North Wilmington after attending a birthday party for one of her grandaughters. There is a link somewhere in the thread for Allison with interview of a friend of Angela's who lived in downtown Wilmington. Her disappearance was considered a runaway in the beginning due to her lifestyle.

From above starnews link: Nobles Rothen had a checkered past of crack abuse and arrests for prostitution, so authorities believed she had run off on her own accord, family members have said.

Allison's disappearence was also considered a walkaway because of her rocky marriage.
From above linked star news article:

"She would not take off and leave her kids … and secondly, if she were in trouble, she would have called someone in the family for help."

At first, family members said, the police treated her disappearance as an adult walkaway, noting the fact that her marriage was rocky.

I have to wonder if WPD treated Shannon's disappearance as voluntary in the beginning like they did Allison's and Angela's because of Shannon's criminal record. I am also curious if WPD has explored this angle of a possible serial killer.

Despite the personal problems these women were facing, all three of them seemed to be close to their families and their families' deserve answers.

I am interested to hear all of your thoughts on this theory. At least we will have something to discuss while we wait, tap tap tap.

MOO

wm

I keep thinking back to Shannon arriving at the Husk at 3pm, as there is still photo of her arriving, and what her friend (who has also been mentioned in MSM) mentioned on April 8th on the Search Team for Shannon Rippy (Van Newkirk) Facebook, that there was an argument with someone at the Husk at 3pm.
Maybe that person left the bar, perhaps meeting up with Shannon later that evening?
IMOO.

I keep thinking back to Shannon arriving at the Husk at 3pm, as there is still photo of her arriving, and what her friend (who has also been mentioned in MSM) mentioned on April 8th on the Search Team for Shannon Rippy (Van Newkirk) Facebook, that there was an argument with someone at the Husk at 3pm.
Maybe that person left the bar, perhaps meeting up with Shannon later that evening?
IMOO.

One guy on that FB site said may be the guy "she rejected". Not sure where he heard that part, and it may be FB rumor. He also said maybe a gang followed her home.
Maybe it was somebody she didn't know, and she told him to get lost. That would have been an argument of sorts.

I'm thinking WPD may have found the man Shannon argued with at the bar because if they are looking for him they would post a still of him, would they not? Apparently, there was some sort of argument per the local grapevine.

I saw on the news this morning that Monica Caison and CUE will be searching for Shannon today with canines. They reiterated that WPD says Shannon met with foul play. Sorry no link, WECT hasn't put it on their site yet. They showed footage of the Husk Bar and it is on a corner. I wonder of there is a rear entrance on the side street and if so, is a camera at that entrance too. My son has been there so I will ask him. (It is the old Roudabush Florist building and I used to love going there to buy seeds. It had wooden floors and rows of small drawers with seeds, very old timey. But I cannot recall if there is a side/back entrance.)

Personally, I wouldn't make that 8 block walk from Husk to Shannon's apt alone at dusk. There is a lot of gang activity downtown. There has been numerous shootings and stabbings, robberies this past year. Mostly black on black crime between gang members but stray bullets have hit homes. One hit a fancy historic home on 3rd st. and ruined a lady's place settings on her dining table. A college student was murdered last year over a sub sandwich when he was leaving his job at a museum not far from Husk. Wilmington is a beautiful, historic town and I would go with Mr. wm or a group of friends after dark but no way would I be walking alone in the residential district because it is spooky when the sun goes down.

My thoughts and prayers are with Shannon's family and CUE today as the search continues. :(

wm

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sachivcochin