Found Safe NC - Shaylie Madden, 7-week-old infant, Biltmore Park in Asheville, 9 May 2019 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm having a really tough time reconciling what I've been reading about what happened to this precious baby.....the kidnapping hoax...false text messages vs what I have seen from the mom on Facebook who posts loving pictures documenting every moment of her beautiful three-year old child's life.

I've been around this WS world long enough to know that what you see on social media isn't what you actually get in many cases....especially when we hear of abuse cases, but this one 'feels' different. It really does.

This case I am having a real struggle with....

There are no pictures of this beautiful brand-new baby at all other than the day she was born. If you compare this child to the older daughter, every single moment of that older child's life was documented with love.

PPP is not something I can pretend I know much about, but from what I've read it seems like it could be a very likely scenario in this case.

JMO

Last edited:
RSBM
This can’t be a picture of Shaylie, right? She wasn’t born until March if her age is 7 weeks, and wouldn’t have been posing for Xmas pictures. This must be her older sibling on her first xmas. Or am I crazy?

Oops, :oops: you are right! I was thinking she was 7 months, not 7 weeks because there was some bad reporting earlier. But the Daily Mail caption says it's her older sister. Sorry!

Oops, :oops: you are right! I was thinking she was 7 months, not 7 weeks because there was some bad reporting earlier. But the Daily Mail caption says it's her older sister. Sorry!
No need to apologize... I just wanted to make sure. I have had a hard time since the start of this incidence with her age, she has always looked older than 7 weeks to me, so I got a little confused... again, lol

I'm having a really tough time reconciling what I've been reading about what happened to this precious baby.....the kidnapping hoax...false text messages vs what I have seen from the mom on Facebook who posts loving pictures documenting every moment of her beautiful three-year old child's life.

I've been around this WS world long enough to know that what you see on social media isn't what you actually get in many cases....especially when we hear of abuse cases, but this one 'feels' different. It really does.

This case I am having a real struggle with....

There are no pictures of this beautiful brand-new baby at all other than the day she was born. If you compare this child to the older daughter, every single moment of that older child's life was documented with love.

PPP is not something I can pretend I know much about, but from what I've read it seems like it could be a very likely scenario in this case.

JMO
Please read the hundreds of postpartum depression and postpartum psychosis stories online. There are hundreds.

None of the stories show that the depressed or psychotic mom staged the crime to make herself appear innocent before she injured her child. Krista started texting her friend lies about being abducted and thrown in the back of a car trunk before she threw her baby off a cliff. She texted a friend and blamed her child's future demise on others to remove suspicion from herself.

Krista staged this elaborate abduction and even turned off the My Location app for her phone (Her friend could no longer find her on Find a Friend app while Krista was texting her lying that she'd been abducted and was losing internet bars. LE couldn't find her either while she was throwing her baby off a cliff.) That shows premeditation. It's very well thought out and not the disjointed thought process of an irrational person who's severely depressed or psychotic.

Then Krista threw her baby down a cliff where it should have never been found and staged a coverup aka obstruction of justice. She drove miles from the crime scene and hid her car down a private property road which required getting out of her car to lift up the gate to drive down the road.

Nothing in this crime looks like postpartum depression or psychosis except there was a tiny helpless victim which was the baby, not Krista.

Imo, this crime is almost as disgusting as Susan Smith killing her kids except Krista's baby was found in time and Krista didn't blame it on people of another race.....yet.

What's even more sickening is that the 911 call shows Krista's baby was "imperfect". Her baby has a health problem. The health problem has been blacked out so we can't see what it is. Did Krista not want an imperfect baby? Did Krista hurt her baby and realized her physician husband would discover the abuse, so she disposed of the baby to save herself?

Last edited:
Please read the hundreds of postpartum depression and postpartum psychosis stories online. There are hundreds.

None of the stories show that the depressed or psychotic mom staged the crime to make herself appear innocent before she injured her child.

Krista staged an elaborate abduction and even turned off the My Location app for her phone (Her friend could no longer find her on Find a Friend app while Krista was texting her lying that she'd been abducted and was losing internet bars.) That's premeditation to set up the crime. It's well thought out and not the disjointed thought process of someone who's severely depressed or psychotic.

Then Krista threw her baby down a cliff where it should have never been found and staged a coverup aka obstruction of justice. She drove miles from the crime scene and hid her car down a private property road which required getting out of her car to lift up the gate to drive down the road.

Nothing in this crime looks like postpartum depression or psychosis except there was a tiny helpless victim which was the baby, not Krista.

Imo, this crime is almost as disgusting as Susan Smith killing her kids except Krista's baby was found in time and Krista didn't blame it on people of another race.....yet.

What's even more sickening is that the 911 call shows Krista's baby was "imperfect". Her baby has a health problem. Did Krista not want an imperfect baby?
I mean, just based off the photo the baby is perfectly adorable. The hoax aspect really reminds me of Susan Smith. At the same time, I think it's weird KM left her baby in a car seat and tossed her down a ravine as a method of murder.
But even if you look at Andrea Yates who was the poster woman of extreme post partum psychosis, she still reasoned to wait until her husband left so that he wouldn't stop her from going through with the murders. She even put their dog up so that he wouldn't try to protect them. She apparently had been thinking about it for years. I guess what I mean is someone can be psychotic and still have some forethought.
If KM is truly a callous person who didn't want an imperfect child, then that will come out in time.
If she's been experiencing post partum depression, and sleep deprivation that lead to psychosis...I'm sure that will also come out.
It could be all of the above.
Although I'm so glad this baby was found alive, the fact that this happened to her, at the hands of her own mother, it's absolutely heart breaking.

Andrea Yates was psychotic or had Major Depression and didn't text a friend and try to blame kidnappers for what she was about to do to her children. Krista did.

Andrea Yates didn't hide her children's bodies to make it appear someone else had killed them. Krista did.

Andrea Yates didn't try to escape the crime scene and then blame kidnappers. Krista did.

Krista wasn't psychotic. She was sneaky.

Andrea Yates was psychotic or had Major Depression and didn't text a friend and try to blame kidnappers for what she was about to do to her children. Krista did.
It definitely has a Susan Smith vibe. And she and Smith were both nurses too.
You'd think with KM and her husband being in the medical field, it would give them a leg up in recognizing and getting help for PPD/P. That's going to be damming to a defense if it wasn't suspected or diagnosed prior to this happening. She was described as a little down or stressed out. That description doesn't really fit with the dramatic shift in mood and behavior that is symptomatic of PP psychosis.

I don't think her older daughter's life was chronicled that much more recently. In fact after Halloween there is nothing. Only Shaylie's birth announcement.

I stopped posting on social media for a few years after my first two kids. Then I started with my third but stopped again around a year old. Just too busy to post pictures on there.

This lack of posting could just be mean that she realized she should have her kids pictures more private. Or it could mean that she started struggling before Shaylie was born. That would have been around the time of an ultrasound so maybe something found there was concerning or upsetting. Or maybe she just didn't have time.

Asked if Madden had shown signs of depression before the incident last week, Devereux said, "Not depression so much as she'd sort of been stressed."

“…the new baby just had some sort of cosmetic surgery..”

Krista Madden attorney: Incident came 'totally out of the blue'

WTH?

I believe this is a little young for club foot surgery?
There is also lip or tongue tie... not exactly a surgery but can be very unpleasant.

That's why her face is blurred out, because it isn't the victim in this case. :)

Can this thread be moved to Crimes in the News using Krista Madden's name since she was arrested? Other people would like to join in the discussion, but can't locate this thread. Thank you.

From the 911 tape, Krista Madden was supposed to make dinner that night for the friend from which she hid her location. This was the same friend who called 911.

Krista Madden turned off her location service on her iPhone, so her friend (who had previously followed her on Find My Friends app) could no longer track her during the big kidnapping lie.
Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 12.02.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 12.04.12 PM.png

Her cardio-thoracic surgeon husband hasn't even put up her $75,000 bail. She has the best of the best health insurance since she is an employee working for Mission. She could have been admitted somewhere many days ago for assessment, but her wealthy husband, who says he wants her to get treatment and move back home, hasn't bailed her out. Hmmm.

Last edited:
Her wealthy cardio-thoracic surgeon husband could have walked into any bank and gotten an unsecured, signature note to bail her out over the last two days, possibly even on Saturday morning. He hasn't done this. How can she "get the treatment she needs" when he won't bail her out? Maybe he questions if she really needs postpartum depression or psychosis treatment.

Last edited:
Her wealthy cardio-thoracic surgeon husband could have walked into any bank and gotten an unsecured, signature note to bail her out over the last two days, possibly even on Saturday morning. He hasn't done this. How can she "get the treatment she needs" when he won't bail her out? Maybe he knows she doesn't need postpartum depression or psychosis treatment?

The attorney explains that in the article that was posted

They have had since May 10th to find her a psychiatric bed. That's plenty of days especially since she has the best of the best health insurance.. The problem, he stated, is that they believe the bail is too high. So money is more important than getting her immediate "psychosis treatment" or they don't really believe she needs psychosis treatment.

Last edited:
They have had since May 10th to find her a psychiatric bed. That's plenty of days especially since she has the best of the best health insurance.. The problem, he stated, is that they believe the bail is too high. So money is more important than getting her immediate "psychosis treatment" or they don't really believe she needs psychosis treatment.

That's not how I read it.

Please read it again.
Krista Madden attorney: Incident came 'totally out of the blue'

They are hoping they can get the bail reduced....and her husband is a wealthy cardio-thoracic surgeon. Meanwhile while they are worried about money and she isn't getting treatment in jail, she's experiencing neurological damage IF she is actually psychotic.

How Does Untreated Psychosis Lead to Neurological Damage?
As summarized by Rund,3 Wyatt1 believed that untreated psychosis was biologically toxic to the brain.

Last edited:
add1a7d7-fe4c-49bb-af28-b47a71e3294a-baby.jpg

rsbm

It looks like there is a piece of paper where the 'white out' is. Could be that it was done because when enlarged there may have been identifying information on it.

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evremevremm
Back