GUILTY NC - Tim Hennis on trial in the '85 Eastburn murders, Fort Bragg

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The Kim Thomas murder in Charlotte is not related; that murder had two strong suspects and especially one very strong suspect. Not related.

The Kim Thomas murder in Charlotte is not related; that murder had two strong suspects and especially one very strong suspect. Not related.

I agree it is not related.
Now the Mintz murder is another story all together.

jmho

I agree it is not related.
Now the Mintz murder is another story all together.

jmho

Yes, I am beginning to think the Kim Thomas case is probably not related. It was the "Ah! history" postcard to Jerry Beaver that suggested a link, but I've just realised it could be the work of a hoaxer (taking their cue from the Mr X postcards published in the paper), or be referring to another murder altogether.

But the Mintz case definitely could be.

The "Ah! history" postcard writer was found out years and years ago. Not linked to any crime or criminal. Now, the Mr. X letters are different.

Newsmaker: Jack Watts, investigator and former sheriff's homicide detective

Published: 05:09 AM, Sun Apr 25, 2010

Title: Investigator and a former Cumberland County sheriff’s homicide detective

In the news because: Watts and his partner investigated the murders of Kathryn Eastburn and her two daughters in Fayetteville in 1985. Earlier this month, Timothy Hennis was convicted of those murders in a court-martial on Fort Bragg.

In 1985, Jack Watts was a homicide sergeant in the Cumberland County Sheriff's Department. A few days after the bodies of the Eastburns were found, Timothy Hennis was arrested. At the time, he was a sergeant stationed at Fort Bragg.

Watts testified at Hennis' civilian trial in 1986, when Hennis was convicted of rape and murder charges. He won a new trial on appeal and was acquitted in 1989. Watts testified at the second trial as well. He also testified at the military trial in March.

The military panel convicted Hennis of murder on April 8 and a week later decided he should be sentenced to death.

Watts spoke with staff writer Sabrina Lavdis about Hennis' third trial. Here are excerpts:

http://www.fayobserver.com/Articles/2010/04/25/992662#comments

It could be that Tim Hennis is the culprit after all. However, the Hennis case is one of the most bothersome because it was an extremely circumstantial case and left unanswered questions that still haven't been answered despite the recent conviction. And whether he is guilty or not, that prosecutorial misconduct early in the case was inexcusable (and the fact that the prosecutor resorted to it says something about the strength of his case against Hennis). Ditto the sloppy investigation because the police were under political pressure for a quick resolution.

The original case was a weak one and depended on an eyewitness whose story changed several times, and later another witness seeing someone use the stolen ATM card but whose testimony was discredited at the second trial (yet these same witnesses were used again at the third trial). There was nothing to tie Hennis directly to the murders: nobody actually saw him do it or clean up, no physical evidence, no motive, nothing from the Eastburns' house to tie with the Hennis's (except the dog) and vice-versa, and no confession. And Hennis had been in the house to answer the ad about Dixie, which would give him some layout of the house but would compromise some physical evidence.

And there were unanswered questions that were not followed up and remain unanswered: Mr X letters, the babysitter, possible drug connections, threatening phone calls to Mrs Eastburn, the blue van, the post-altering of the crime scene Mcdonald-style (why go to that trouble when you can just burn the place down to destroy the evidence?), and the sightings from Charlotte Kirby. And there is the Jaye Mintz case that was disturbingly similar: the killer apparently getting on on pretext of answering a classified ad, then tying up the woman, raping her, and then slashing her throat in front of her baby.

The Hopper DNA evidence is still the rub. However, some can argue that the sample may be contaminated as it was not preserved properly at the time. To make matters worse, this case has a history of prosecutorial misconduct. And there is unknown DNA that was not tested.

Innocent or guilty, I bet Hennis wishes he'd never answered that ad about the dog. Hmm, if he hadn't, could the police have gone after Raupach (the true "walker") instead and used Cone as the star witness against him? Raupach's habit of walking in the area during those early hours could easily have been used against him, along with his knife collection and his D&D. I don't think they would have really found anything concrete against him, but Hennis's first conviction is proof you don't need hard evidence to get a conviction.

I'm just about finished reading the book on this case. With the DNA evidence, I really only see two possibilities here:

1) He did it and he's getting what he deserves.

2) Someone purposely doctored the evidence. For that to be the case, someone would have decided that after years they would plant evidence in a case where most people thought Hennis couldn't be re-tried. That seems highly improbable.

I really don't buy the contaminated evidence theory. Apparently neither did the jury. All my humble opinion.

I agree that during the first trials, the case was circumstantial and rather weak. The witnesses may not have been credible. The DNA changed everything. It can not be dismissed as random contamination or inconclusive results. The only way to get aaround it is to claim outright fraud. This could happen in any forensice case and it has happened but I tend to trust the system unless there is a specific reason not to.

I agree that during the first trials, the case was circumstantial and rather weak. The witnesses may not have been credible. The DNA changed everything. It can not be dismissed as random contamination or inconclusive results. The only way to get aaround it is to claim outright fraud. This could happen in any forensics case and it has happened but I tend to trust the system unless there is a specific reason not to.

Another possibility is bias on part of Hopper and the other prosecution scientists. The NC police have very fixed ideas about Hennis. If the NC scientists were the same, could they have been seeing what they expected (or wanted) to see? Biased forensic evidence has happened before; the Lindy Chamberlain case in Australia and the Arthur Allan Thomas case in New Zealand (which also contained allegations of police misconduct and evidence fabrication) are two examples. Maybe the thing to do is bring in an independent DNA scientist to test the DNA.

I still think DNA contamination is possible, especially when it was not properly preserved in the first place. No, I don't think Hennis and Eastburn would have had consensual sex, and that is one thing the jury would have definitely rejected.

Here's a question: if Hennis was the culprit, how come the case against him was so weak, depending solely on witnesses, one of whom changed his story several times? Even allowing for cleaning up, there should have been some physical evidence and a stronger trail leading to him. There was no way he could cover his tracks entirely, and certainly not on a kill this bloody. And the prosecutor withheld evidence that pointed away from him. Now that's saying something!

Sameera, it’s time to get real about this. There are situations where DNA analysis is open to contention. The defense gave it a go, but the jury was unconvinced. Contamination? The DNA came from the vaginal vault. How does that get contaminated? Outright fraud is always a possibility but do you really think Hopper would risk her career and pension an all that to frame Tim? It’s a real stretch.

Realistically, the "falsely convicted" generally have circumstantial evidence working against them but no physical evidence. Tim has physical evidence (DNA) but very little circumstantial evidence. I put him in the same boat as Dr. Jeff.

Sameera, it’s time to get real about this. There are situations where DNA analysis is open to contention. The defense gave it a go, but the jury was unconvinced. Contamination? The DNA came from the vaginal vault. How does that get contaminated? Outright fraud is always a possibility but do you really think Hopper would risk her career and pension an all that to frame Tim? It’s a real stretch.

Realistically, the "falsely convicted" generally have circumstantial evidence working against them but no physical evidence. Tim has physical evidence (DNA) but very little circumstantial evidence. I put him in the same boat as Dr. Jeff.

I wasn't saying Hopper framed Tim, but whether she was independent of the subjectivity that the NC police have about Tim.

By the way, what do you mean when you say you put Timbo in the same boat as Dr. Jeff?

I wasn't saying Hopper framed Tim, but whether she was independent of the subjectivity that the NC police have about Tim.

By the way, what do you mean when you say you put Timbo in the same boat as Dr. Jeff?

DNA lab work is a pretty objective process. You follow the accepted technique with both samples then decide whether or not there is a match. The defense provides its own experts to review your work and your determinations and they can and will cross examine you directly regarding you methods and conclusions. There are some situations where a DNA tech's work can be seriously questioned; apparently in miniscule or highly degraded samples. They can also try to convince the jury that DNA is so much "hocus pocus" (a la OJ). Ultimately the jury must decide. Evidentially they did.

What I meant by Dr. Jeff is a base of loyal fans who will continue to support him and fund his defense long after is obvious that he is guilty.

Talking of Dr Jeff, I wonder why the crime scene appeared to be altered Dr. Jeff style? I don't buy theories that Jeff engineered the Eastburn murders to force a reopening of his case. And it seems to be gilding the lily and taking additional risk of discovery; I reckon it would have been easier to burn the place down to destroy the evidence.

Lets get real here people, he did it, he was found guilty twice. So may he rot in hell

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GibsonGirl
Back