Found Deceased NC - Weston Vandermerwe, 23, Raleigh, 9 Aug 2013

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Authorities in North Carolina are searching for a 23-year-old recent college graduate who went missing after an argument with his girlfriend early Saturday morning.

Weston Vandemerwe was last seen around 1:30 a.m. outside the Oxford bar on Fayetteville Street in downtown Raleigh, WNCN reports.

“This isn’t him at all,” his mother, Becky Daly, told the News & Observer.

The recent East Carolina University student had been drinking, but still had his wits about him, according to his girlfriend.

"I just hope he's OK and comes home soon," Kaitlyn Holmes said. "If anyone sees anything, please contact the police department -- please -- with anything."

Vandemerwe was scheduled to sign a lease on a new apartment Sunday, but never showed up, according to WRBL. He also missed work on Monday.

Police say they do not suspect foul play, according to ABC 11.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/13/weston-vandemerwe-missing_n_3748608.html

I'm a bit surprised that they aren't suspecting foul play.. But glad there's hope that he may surface. Unless he had some type of medical crisis while drinking.

Becky Daly of Apex said the family has gotten word that Weston Vandemerwe, 23, may have been seen eating at a soup kitchen downtown. They have also heard he may have spent one night at a Raleigh shelter.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/52746165/ns/local_news-raleigh_nc/

So ... a day before signing the lease to a new apartment, this guy leaves job, car and gf behind and starts a new life as a homeless person? I guess stranger things have happened, but I don't know. Did he drink too much and/or fell down on his head and has lost his memory?

So ... a day before signing the lease to a new apartment, this guy leaves job, car and gf behind and starts a new life as a homeless person? I guess stranger things have happened, but I don't know. Did he drink too much and/or fell down on his head and has lost his memory?

My boyfriend said the same thing! "Did he lose his mind?"

It actually gives me some hope he is out there.

Ah crap according to WRAL.com a body has been found by Raleigh PD off of Hwy 440.

For non locals, 440 circles downtown Raleigh pretty tightly...so not far from where he was last seen. :(

ah dammit. How far is that?

I'm not sure where Hammond Rd is; but 440 itself is not that large, it's a city loop and not more than a few miles from downtown along its radius.

Edit: Zelma, do you think they mean 440 or 40? I did find a spot where Hammond was close to *40* on google maps.

ah dammit. How far is that?

a mile or two south. it's certainly within the realm of where he'd wander if he drunkenly decided to walk home (which in reality would involve 14 miles of major highway).

Hoping the body found, is not him. Well, really - a body found regardless is sad.

I was thinking, was he to sign a lease with his girlfriend? Did they get in such a fight that he wanted to prove a point of some sort? Are his parents relatively close to where he lives? Haven't read much on Weston obviously - just sort of thinking out loud. I know a stubborn person in my life who would do something extreme out of hurt/anger and come around in time.

Also, wonder if anyone could have put something in his drink...?

Lots of scary drinking horror stories out there.

I'm not sure where Hammond Rd is; but 440 itself is not that large, it's a city loop and not more than a few miles from downtown along its radius.

Edit: Zelma, do you think they mean 440 or 40? I did find a spot where Hammond was close to *40* on google maps.

I think it's I40 - I just did a streetview and I think found the spot in the WRAL photo - it's just after the sliproad that leads from Hammond up to the I40, before it goes over S Willington. The road signs look right

A link to WRAL http://www.wral.com/news/local/image/12772238/

A body was found along westbound Interstate 440 near Hammond Road in Raleigh Tuesday afternoon. Police are on the scene and traffic is backed up in that area.

Oh no...

It's about 2 miles from the Oxford (the bar). The news said that LE has copies of the flyers at the scene, but they are not confirming any connection between the body's discovery and Weston's disappearance.

(440 and I-40 are the same road at this part of the 440 loop)

Red star, where he was last seen by the Shaw Students. Red box, general area of where a body was found by RPD.

Attachments

• 2jOQr0U.jpg
    2jOQr0U.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 49
Red star, where he was last seen by the Shaw Students. Red box, general area of where a body was found by RPD.

Unfortunately that seems like a pretty straight line. :(

No matter what, it's terrible that a body has been found, no matter whose it is.

Attachments

• 2jOQr0U.jpg
    2jOQr0U.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 10
Oh no...

It's about 2 miles from the Oxford (the bar). The news said that LE has copies of the flyers at the scene, but they are not confirming any connection between the body's discovery and Weston's disappearance.

(440 and I-40 are the same road at this part of the 440 loop)

I was wondering about the bit in parenthesis--I am not a Raleigh native and rarely travel that particular stretch. It makes sense since it continues 40 E and W but also closes the 440 loop. Thanks.

Even worse news. My mom just came through there, she said "someone jumped."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoldenGirl1971
Back