GUILTY NC - William “Andy” Banks, 39, Raleigh, met someone about selling his car, 12 Sept 2020 *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Titles do NOT have to be notarized anymore.
All the seller has to do is sign off on it.
And if there is a lien on it, then the lienholder signs off after the loan is paid off.

Oh wow, I didn’t know that. I remember sitting in a bank for ever about 6-7 years ago trying to get the title notarized. Good to know, especially in the context of this case.

If he was paid, how was he supposed to return home? Unless, the person was taking him back to his residence and who would do that? Of course paying him and them driving him home would allow the person to do something nefarious and take the money back but how did he pay that is traceable if a credit card transaction there are cameras. Other than cash which is not traceable there should be video. How was the other person arriving at the scene? So many questions.

I wonder if Andy lives in the Cameron Village area. There are a lot of housing options there. The CL ad shows Cameron village as the area. And from the little research I’ve done, Andy does look like an inside the Beltline type of guy. Maybe he usually sold the car, cashed the check at his bank and then waked home?

How does Venmo work?
His last Venmo transaction says 20 hours ago so that would be about the same time he was meeting to sell his suv.
We routinely use Venmo when picking up items - so you meet and review the item then do Venmo right then- once the money is gone it’s gone - unless they have his phone in which he can use that to send it anywhere - we just had a couple shot to death over a pretend sale of a RAV4 - it’s so dangerous
JMO
Eta review item

Last edited:
Missing Raleigh man's car, phone spotted around Pittsylvania County

[...]

"He met two people from Craigslist to try and sell his car," friend Amanda Finch told the Star-Tribune this morning. "He hasn’t been seen or heard from since."

[...]

A respondent to Finch's Facebook post about Banks's disappearance reported seeing his silver 2012 Range Rover off the U.S. 29 bypass in Blairs, by the stop sign, with the lights turned off.

"I didn't think much of it, except that was a weird spot to leave a range rover," the respondent said.

The last sighting of his car was last night around 8:30 p.m.

Banks's cell phone was also found on North Carolina interstate 440 heading west from Raleigh toward Danville.

"We have friends that are tech people," Finch said. "They were able to look through Andy's messages through a cloud on his laptop that was at home. They were able to find out that the phone number they were using to text Andy was a burner phone."

The burner phone was reportedly last pinged in Danville.

The meeting for the suv was 2 PM on Saturday, so the 20 hours ago doesn't really align with that timeframe at this point does it?
It could be around that time
I am curius-- there is "SMH" for the payment from MF on the 20 hours ago one.--
The one at 5:21 AM Sunday says "Kale Salad"
Are these like Memos for what payment is for ??
If so, why would MF put " SMH" ?
I put that on my posts when I am in disbelief or I think something is dumb so makes me curious to that "memo".
JMO

Oh wow, I didn’t know that. I remember sitting in a bank for ever about 6-7 years ago trying to get the title notarized. Good to know, especially in the context of this case.
I corrected my post
In NC-- titles DO have to be notarized.
We no longer have to where I live so I typed that then got thinking maybe each State is different and looked it up and YES, NC does have to have them notarized. ( I corrected myself LOL) **

[...]

"He met two people from Craigslist to try and sell his car," friend Amanda Finch told the Star-Tribune this morning. "He hasn’t been seen or heard from since."

[...]

A respondent to Finch's Facebook post about Banks's disappearance reported seeing his silver 2012 Range Rover off the U.S. 29 bypass in Blairs, by the stop sign, with the lights turned off.

"I didn't think much of it, except that was a weird spot to leave a range rover," the respondent said.

Banks's cell phone was also found on North Carolina interstate 440 heading west from Raleigh toward Danville.

"We have friends that are tech people," Finch said. "They were able to look through Andy's messages through a cloud on his laptop that was at home. They were able to find out that the phone number they were using to text Andy was a burner phone."

Oh NO !!!
This doesn't sound good.
Praying his friends and family find him SOON !!!
I just get so upset at this crazy world we live in now.

[...]

[...]

Oh my gosh. That is absolutely awful.

[...]

[...]

The phone being found on 440 is interesting. You can go from Cameron Village down wade Avenue right to I40 west and never get on 440.

I wonder if these two men took him by a bank and drained whatever was in his bank account. If so, maybe the banks around Crabtree Mall could have video from a drive through ATM.

Does the ad for the SUV specify it still had a loan? Lien holders hold the title until it’s paid off in my state - of course if they just want to steal a car they won’t care about the paper title IMO

The phone being found on 440 is interesting. You can go from Cameron Village down wade Avenue right to I40 west and never get on 440.

I wonder if these two men took him by a bank and drained whatever was in his bank account. If so, maybe the banks around Crabtree Mall could have video from a drive through ATM.
I pray there are a lot of videos around this mall area and along the roads where his phone was found and where the vehicle was seen.
If they ditched the RR and tossed out his phone, then what is the motive?
I thought it was more like a car-jacking, or test drive and steal the vehicle but sounds like it was abandoned so what the heck did they do with Andy ???

Does the ad for the SUV specify it still had a loan? Lien holders hold the title until it’s paid off in my state - of course if they just want to steal a car they won’t care about the paper title IMO
Not sure if it still had a lien or not
It is a 2012 so if he purchased it brand new--it is 8 yrs old and most likely Paid off.
If he bought it used, he could have purchased it a few yrs ago and still have lien on it.
Purchaser won't be able to get title in own name until lien is signed off and notarized but as you said, car thieves don't concern themselves much with the paper work.
Especially if they just use it for joy ride or to get from point A to Point B then they abandon it.
UGH-- just what the heck happened ???

I pray there are a lot of videos around this mall area and along the roads where his phone was found and where the vehicle was seen.
If they ditched the RR and tossed out his phone, then what is the motive?
I thought it was more like a car-jacking, or test drive and steal the vehicle but sounds like it was abandoned so what the heck did they do with Andy ???

It sounds like they did not ditch the RR. It was last seen last night in VA.

That route is a way to get to the PA/NY area without traveling on I85/I95, which would have a strong highway patrol presence.

Friends describe William Anderson Banks, better known as Andy, as a happy-go-lucky downtown Raleigh fixture. At 6 feet tall, last seen in blue Patagonia shorts, a gray shirt with a mountain on the front and a pair of flip flops, they believe he would be hard to miss.

[...]

Banks worked part-time for the census but mainly cobbled together a living through a variety of sources, buying old cars, fixing them up and reselling them, driving them for a while as a lark and parking them wherever he could avoid paying a fee.

[...]

Raleigh police said Banks was last seen Woodburn Road area Saturday afternoon.

FullSizeRender_fitted.jpeg

https://www.heraldsun.com/news/local/article245720225.html
(more at link)

This could be the most likely scenario- until we know different. I can’t imagine someone thinking they could steal a RR with GPS & think they’d get away with that. Unless for parts. They were smart enough to use a burner phone...

Not sure if it still had a lien or not
It is a 2012 so if he purchased it brand new--it is 8 yrs old and most likely Paid off.
If he bought it used, he could have purchased it a few yrs ago and still have lien on it.
Purchaser won't be able to get title in own name until lien is signed off and notarized but as you said, car thieves don't concern themselves much with the paper work.
Especially if they just use it for joy ride or to get from point A to Point B then they abandon it.
UGH-- just what the heck happened ???

He did not purchase it new and I am almost certain it did not have a loan on it

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot