NC - Zahra Clare Baker, 10, Hickory, 9 Oct 2010 # 23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes they took them but can they hold them?

The reason I ask is because I have a DOD issued ID and passport.

No one is allowed to confiscate or hold my DOD ID. If they do, they can be punished by a felony.

I don't know about the passport.

Uh, Kat- completely O/T- but the DoD can. So can Homeland Security, the FBI and any number of other 3-letter agencies. ;)

Uh, Kat- completely O/T- but the DoD can. So can Homeland Security, the FBI and any number of other 3-letter agencies. ;)

Point taken.

I was talking about civilian LE.

No they can't :wink:

depends I s'pose on when the last flight relative could have been on, How big the airport, luggage claim, etc.

Any locals that could chime in? If you were meeting one of the last flight in - what time would you leave for airport, how long would it take to get person, bags etc?

also, if LE met him there while awaiting the relative, then asked him to come down and talk, drive to HQ, time for them to question/interview him.

I don't know, can locals help me out - would it be reasonable that he may not be booked til 3:12 AM?

ETA Did anyone notice or is there a way to find out if any of the potential relative flights were late on arrival last night?

Been a long time, but I'm from Charlotte and when I lived there Douglas Airport was quite small. I believe that it's quite large now that it is an international airport. I'm in Greenville SC now and the Greenville/Spartanburg Airport is nothing in comparison and it's big. If I were going out of the country, I would have to drive to Charlotte and many make that 2 hr drive from here anyway for better rates and for quicker flights. I know that answers none of your questions, lol...It's interesting to me as well that the airport is in a different county than where his charges are, so wonder how all that went down.

John is a local reporter correct? Local to NC I mean.

If so I tend to believe it moreso than I would otherwise.

Yeah, he is with the Hickory Daily Record, and IMO is not the best source of accurate info. :angel:

One possible routing with UNITED AIRLINES

Leg 1 Sydney (SYD) - Chicago O'Hare (ORD)

Leg 2 Chicago O'Hare (ORD) - Charlotte (CLT)

If AB was picked up at Charlotte Douglas CLT Airport, the trip to Hickory took approx. 1 hr. 8mins to be booked at 3:15am. So I'm speculating AB got picked up by LE about 2AM or so.

Listed is closest airports and Douglas seems the most likely.

Closest Airports AIRPORTS NEAR CHARLOTTE DOUGLAS CLT AIRPORT
•Charlotte Douglas CLT Airport
Charlotte, NC (0 miles).
•Smith Reynolds INT Airport
Winston Salem, NC (74.2 miles).
•Greenville Spartanburg GSP Airport
Greer, SC (76.4 miles).
•Piedmont Triad GSO Airport
Greensboro, NC (82.4 miles).
•Asheville Regional AVL Airport
Fletcher, NC (91.8 miles).
•Florence Regional FLO Airport
Florence, SC (98.6 miles).
•Columbia Metropolitian CAE Airport
Columbia, SC (115.4 miles).
•Fayetteville Grannis Field FAY Airport
Fayetteville, NC (116.6 miles).
•Raleigh-Durham RDU Airport
Raleigh, NC (127.8 miles).
•Augusta Regional Bush Field AGS Airport
Augusta, Georgia, GA (141 miles).

IF I'm not mistaken Charlotte is by far the closest International Airport.

Point taken.

I was talking about civilian LE.

No they can't :wink:

Point was, perhaps it would be useful for people to know who can seize what evidence, under what circumstances. ;)

(And also, that you should hang onto your passport. :) )

Yep, but nothing after midnight and nothing before 6 am.

Last flights in were at 12:45am and all coming from Chicago (actual time of arrival). The 3:00am at the airport makes no sense to me at all. Believe me baggage handlers and airport staff are hustling those bags through for the last flights of the day - they are wasting no time as they want to shut it down.

There is no way that it would take any longer than about 20 minutes to get your bags from any one of those flights.

It is 1 hour and 7 minutes from Douglas International to Hickory NC according to Google Maps.

ETA: Add on another 1/2 hour to clear customs if an international flight

I have a couple of ideas about that:

1. Might have agreed to tell all he knows after he got a chance to see his mother (if that's who he might've been picking up) and/or she might have immediately convinced him to come clean.

2. LE didn't want him to have interaction with his mother or whomever he was picking up. They may have arrested him on the lesser charges just to keep him away from that person and whatever info they may have brought with them that might aid AB in terms of consulate or international law.

3. The "promising lead" was SO promising that LE felt they didn't need AB's "help" any longer, so they pick him up on the lesser charges and will arrest him on the more serious crimes once they have their evidence and the DA has sorted out possible charges and any issues with prosecuting a citizen of Australia.

Just thinking out loud. Soon as I think one thing, something usually occurs to me to knock that theory down...wish they'd let us know something.
All good thoughts. My question, however, is that wasn't he arrested on one bad check charge, so how long could he be held on that? I haven't seen a link yet as to his bail amount. :waitasec: MOO

If E was talking then wouldnt they know where to find the body ? Unless she said she put her in the creek/ stream or whatever the water way is. That would explain why they would be all over the county looking tracing the creek and it flood zones.

Forgot to mention earlier that it poured the rain here about 2 hours away from Hickory. We even had tornado warnings here in the mtns. I suspect it rained and the storms were equally as bad there and through the day during the searches.. My thanks and prayers to the searchers and LE.

IF I'm not mistaken Charlotte is by far the closest International Airport.

(it wouldnt let me quote who you were quoting- the list of airports)

i live right beside PTI, which is listed wrong on the list...its piedmont triad international airport..but charlotte is still closer tho

Point was, perhaps it would be useful for people to know who can seize what evidence, under what circumstances. ;)

(And also, that you should hang onto your passport. :) )

That's why I posted that exact question a few pages back.

Can LE consficate and hold on to a passport?

:)

same at Pittsburgh International.........actuallt closed down til 5am.
Just workers cleaning etc.
One time my flight was delayed and we landed at 1 am and NOTHING was around......it was spooky!!!

and no where IN the airport to eat or anything at that time either. I can easily see LE letting him 'turn himself in'/drive himself to the PD, but I can't imagine they would allow him to stop and dine with whomever arrived (if that's the case) UNLESS they were hoping that whomever that was could convince him to tell what he knows. Even then I'd bet LE wasn't more than a few feet away..

That's why I posted that exact question a few pages back.

Can LE consficate and hold on to a passport?

:)

Didn't LE already seize 3 passports from one of the cars, leading me to believe they can indeed take your passport?

Well, here is a named, police spokesman:

Police in the Bakers' home town of Hickory, North Carolina, said they arrested Adam Baker at Charlotte Douglas International Airport on Monday morning, but do not believe he was trying to flee the state or the US.

"We believe he was at the airport picking up relatives who were flying in from Australia," Hickory Police Department spokesperson Libby Grigg told AAP.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/zahra-bakers-father-arrested-at-airport-20101026-1713x.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandrz717