ND - Dru Sjodin, 22, Grand Forks, 22 Nov 2003 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bobbisangel said:
When is this lowlife piece of garbage going to go to trial? I say let's save the state some money and take this evil troll out to where he murdered Dru, make him take his clothes off, ram a big stick up his azz, cut off his penis, shoot him in the feet...then the knee caps...then the upper legs... you get the idea. Then just leave him there and let the animals take care of him. He doesn't deserve anything better.

Thank you for stating what so many of us feel :blowkiss:

Thinking of Dru today....On the anniversary of her disappearance.
May you rest in peace

I wonder when the trial is going to be. It seems like it is taking forever. This is one creep that I want to get the death penalty. I doubt that prison has any affect on him.

Bobbisangel said:
I wonder when the trial is going to be. It seems like it is taking forever. This is one creep that I want to get the death penalty. I doubt that prison has any affect on him.
Bobbisangel,
The trial is supposed to begin next July.......
Death penalty is to good for him!

I hope its a quick trial followed by execution, Sadly we cant have it done like you have said but the sooner this SOB is no longer breathing oxygen the better, It was creepy for me as I accidently came across the findru.com website From that site I joined others such as this.
I went on the site that night because my best friends had commited suicide that day and I had just got back from another friends funeral,I went on the net to try to get my mind off it as I didnt really want to talk to anyone the site was new I dont think she had even been missing 1 week, They found Dru on my youngest sons 18th birthday ,I was so addicted to the site I would go on every morning to see what progress had happened then sadly they shut it down not long after Dru was found, I believe too soon as they could have posted the updates on the court case ect...... But I believe they had too many nasty posters or something.
I felt up until the Christmas there was hope of finding her alive but after that I knew it was really all over.

Bobbisangel said:
What is that attorney trying to say...that the killer doesn't want to die?????
Well that is just tough. That fat troll knew what he was going to do when he walked up to Dru and made her get in his vehicle.

:laugh: Fat troll. Oh, you just made my day! I live in the town where Dru was abducted, and I am sick to death of seeing his dopey face on the evening news every time his attorney whines about something. Fat troll - that's exactly what he looks like!

Yakwoman

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/news/local/13410219.htm

DRU SJODIN CASE: Rodriguez lawyers claim rights violation

Attorneys say interview between suspect and his sister should be disallowed

FARGO - Lawyers for the man charged in the death of UND student Dru Sjodin say his rights were violated when investigators set up an interview between him and his sister.

The interview between Alfonso Rodriguez Jr., and his sister, Ileanna Noyes, took place in December 2003, two days after Rodriguez was arrested in the disappearance of Sjodin from a Grand Forks mall, authorities said.

Defense attorneys want the 15-minute conversation excluded from evidence against Rodriguez. Details of the interview have been sealed, along with several other court documents.

Rodriguez, 52, a convicted sex offender from Crookston, is facing trial in July for the death of Sjodin. Prosecutors have said they will seek the death penalty if he is convicted. He has pleaded not guilty to a charge of kidnapping resulting in Sjodin's death.

Wednesday's hearing before U.S. District Judge Ralph Erickson is one of a number of hearings over motions leading up to the trial.

Rodriguez's attorney, Robert Hoy, said authorities "trampled his constitutional rights" by setting up the interview with his sister without his attorney present.

Prosecutors said Noyes volunteered to talk to her brother, and that she wanted to help find Sjodin.

More at link....

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=111576&section=News

Kidnap killing details emerge

After being abducted at knifepoint, Dru Sjodin underwent several hours of physical and emotional abuse and was injured “gravely” at least twice, U.S. Attorney Drew Wrigley said Thursday.

But defense attorneys for Alfonso Rodriguez Jr., charged with the kidnapping resulting in Sjodin’s death two years ago, argue that she may have been unconscious within minutes of the abduction.

For a second consecutive day, prosecutors and Rodriguez’s court-appointed lawyers Thursday disagreed on nearly every element of the case, including the wording of the criminal indictment and procedures to be used when the trial begins July 6 in Fargo’s U.S. District Court.
Rodriguez, 52, of Crookston, Minn., has pleaded not guilty. If convicted, he faces either the death penalty or life in prison without parole. Most arguments in the twice-convicted sex offender’s case have focused on interpretations in capital cases elsewhere and definitions of law used to pursue the death penalty.

Nearly all motions and documents in the case have been sealed by Judge Ralph Erickson, but Thursday’s hearing brought out new details of Sjodin’s death

Prosecutors said they plan to prove to jurors that Rodriguez immediately injured Sjodin so she couldn’t resist during the abduction and then he assaulted her “gratuitously” for hours.

In the government’s indictment, Rodriguez is accused of torture and killing Sjodin in a “heinous, cruel and depraved” manner after substantial planning and premeditation.

Attorney Richard Ney of Wichita, Kan., appointed to the case because he is certified to defend people facing the death penalty, asked the judge to strike much of language because it is vague, overbroad or insufficient to support factors favoring a death penalty sentence.

Ney argued Congress hasn’t defined heinous or depraved and left it up to courts to make it fit within the Constitution.

He also said the law doesn’t apply in Sjodin’s death because “she was unconscious shortly after her abduction.” A person must be conscious and suffering mental or physical pain for torture to occur, Ney said.
But the government has provided Rodriguez’s attorneys with the evidence prosecutors plan to use to convict him, Wrigley said.

“This isn’t anybody’s first rodeo,” he said. The defense, Wrigley said, needs to look at the evidence before saying it is insufficient to support the death penalty charge.

“They want our team of lawyers to be their legal assistance,” he said.

More than 17,000 pages of evidentiary documents have been compiled in the case. With forensic results due by Feb. 1, more paperwork will be shared between the two sides.

Erickson renewed his concern over making decisions about permitting evidence into the trial.

“It’s hard for me to determine the sufficiency or insufficiency of the evidence when I haven’t seen it,” he said. “At this point, what I have is an outline of what the government has.”

Lawyers debated 10 defense motions during the two-day hearing. The judge will rule on the motions later. For one motion, Erickson said he wanted a hearing to determine the reliability of expert testimony to support claims about dangers Rodriguez poses in the future.

Ney argued the government also plans to use Rodriguez’s prior convictions three times to support factors – including future dangerousness – for a death sentence. Rodriguez, who has been incarcerated for all but six months in the past 25 years, was a model prisoner, Ney said.

If a jury convicts Rodriguez, he doesn’t pose a danger in the prison structure, he said.

“To say he is a model prisoner, I don’t understand what that means,” Wrigley said.

It’s also difficult to predict what Rodriguez would do if he were sentenced to life in prison because he’s shown a history of escalated violence, the prosecutor said.

At least six more dates are scheduled between February and June 3 to hear pretrial issues. Sjodin’s parents, Allan Sjodin and Linda Walker, attended both days of this week’s hearing.

Allan Sjodin said they plan to attend all of the hearings. “We will stay every day if we have to,” he said after Wednesday’s session.

“For us to go through this is nothing compared to what Dru went through,” Walker said.

Rodriguez’s sister, Illeana Noyes, and mother, Delores Rodriguez, listened to debate Wednesday. Both declined to comment.

Its SICK and DISGUSTING what that B@St@rd did to her!! Her poor family. Its horrible enough that this has happened, but to know she suffered and was tortured... concious or not its cruel and sick.

My prayers are with her family during this difficult time.

CrimeHater said:
Its SICK and DISGUSTING what that B@St@rd did to her!! Her poor family. Its horrible enough that this has happened, but to know she suffered and was tortured... conscious or not its cruel and sick.

My prayers are with her family during this difficult time.

I think it is disgusting that a defense attorney could get up there and try to minimize everything. The fat troll pled "not guilty" yet his attorney says that Dru was probably unconscious minutes after she was kidnapped!!!! To me that is saying the defense attorney has admitted that his client murdered Dru.

I just hate to read about the things that were done to murder victims. I hate to think of what they went through before their death. I hate knowing that the last face they ever saw was of a horrible man like this killer. Dru just seemed like such a outgoing sweetheart and it is really painful knowing what she suffered. If it affects me this way think of how it affects her family. It has to be pure hell sitting in that courtroom listening to everything both sets of attorneys are talking about and looking at the back of that fat troll all day long. I would want to strangle him with my bare hands...cut his evil heart out.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=112079&section=News

Law enforcement violated Alfonso Rodriguez Jr.’s right to counsel when setting up a meeting between him and his sister, a federal judge ruled Monday.

Because of this, prosecutors won’t be able to use conversation between the two as evidence when Rodriguez’s trial begins July 6 in Fargo.

Rodriguez, 52, could face the death penalty if convicted for the kidnapping resulting in Dru Sjodin’s death more than two years ago.

“Law enforcement knew that she was going to elicit Dru’s location from Rodriguez,” Erickson wrote. “In this case, Noyes went beyond merely listening by attempting to elicit incriminating statements.”
U.S. Attorney Drew Wrigley said the conversation between brother and sister didn’t include a confession and the decision won’t hamper prosecution of Rodriguez.

“It doesn’t change a single thing that we intend to show at trial,” Wrigley said.

Searchers found Sjodin’s body in a ravine April 17, 2004, near Rodriguez’s hometown of Crookston, Minn.

“It was only with the intervention of law enforcement that she was able to meet with her brother,” wrote Erickson, stating she acted as an agent for police. “All of this happened only after Noyes told law enforcement that she wanted to help, and she told that she could get Rodriguez to tell her where Dru was.

“Noyes’ purpose in talking with her brother was to elicit information about Dru’s location, which would be incriminating information.”

Defense lawyers also asked that conversations with police after Rodriguez’s arrest not be allowed at trial. Since prosecutors don’t intend to use the conversations to convict him, Erickson also ruled to suppress those discussions.

Bobbisangel said:
I think it is disgusting that a defense attorney could get up there and try to minimize everything. The fat troll pled "not guilty" yet his attorney says that Dru was probably unconscious minutes after she was kidnapped!!!! To me that is saying the defense attorney has admitted that his client murdered Dru.

It makes you wonder if some of these defense attorneys don't have a sister or daughter. There should be a point where your job is not as important as the truth.

The suspects always seem to have so many rights. As a victim, Dru had very few.

sadly if the defense lawyers dont do everything by the book and try to save their client some snivel libertarian will protest and get a retrial :furious: :furious: .I dont know how a lot of these defense lawyers can do their job and still sleep at night.I hope the gets the DP and KUDOS to the sister for helping LE.

Prosecutors in the case of a slain UND student say the state's method of jury selection does not violate federal law, as defense attorneys claim.
Lawyers for Alfonso Rodriguez Jr., accused of kidnapping resulting in the death of Dru Sjodin, believe it's impossible to find jurors who fairly represent the community because the state has no voter registration.
Rodriguez, 52, a convicted sex offender from Crookston, has pleaded not guilty. Sjodin, 22, from Pequot Lakes, Minn., was abducted from a Grand Forks shopping mall Nov. 22, 2003. Her body was found in April 2004 in a ravine near Crookston.
North Dakota uses lists of voters, rather than voter registration, to select a jury. Rodriguez's lawyers said that excludes some "distinctive groups," particularly Hispanics and blacks. Rodriguez has a Hispanic background.
In a response entered Friday in federal court, prosecutors said jurors are selected from a random list of people who voted in the last presidential election - and nobody is barred from voting.
"Our process is racially blind and neutral in every fashion and constitutional on all fronts," U.S. Attorney Drew Wrigley said.
http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/news/local/13677296.htm

The judge has issued a gag order for the trial of Alfonso Rodriguez, murderer of Dru Sjodin. The trial date is July 6, 2006.

FINALLY!!!!!!

It seems like it has taken forever to get this fat troll to trial. If I lived in that area I would be at that courthouse everyday. I would go so that I could stand for Dru. I'll never forget Dru of the big smile just so full of fun and life.
And then along comes this pervert that should never have been let out of prison and he takes it all away.

I can't imagine why the creep doesn't just plead guilty. He has to know that he isn't walking away from this. I hope the state has the death penalty and that he gets it. I rejoice when people like this are put to death. I believe in an eye for an eye when there is no doubt that the person is guilty.

I wonder if CTV will cover this trial. Guess I better get on the ball and send some emails out.

wondering22 said:
The judge has issued a gag order for the trial of Alfonso Rodriguez, murderer of Dru Sjodin. The trial date is July 6, 2006.

So he will be tried in North Dakota? Good. They have the death penalty, right, where MN does not?

Hi Bobbiesangel,

I think he doesn't just plead guilty as he has no 'balls' to stand up and do the honerable thing.

So awful. For me, Dru is a shining light that represents every girl who has ever been kidnapped and senselessly murdered.

Scandi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member