Found Deceased ND - Olivia Lone Bear, 32, New Town, 24 Oct 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
New Town, ND - The truck that missing woman Olivia Lone Bear was last seen in has been found.

KX News talked to Lone Bear's brother, Matthew Lone Bear. He says the truck she was thought to be in has been found in the water. He said he could not give us any more details at this time. He has been searching for his sister since she went missing last October. He told us his search plans are suspended until further notice.
Truck linked to Lone Bear disappearance has been found

Another source:

Olivia Lone Bear's brother says searchers have found her truck in Lake Sakakawea.

Olivia Lone Bear's truck located in Lake Sakakawea
That’s a big lake, I’m surprised they found it. Obviously it wouldn’t be too far in but as a man made lake I don’t know if it would have a gradual shoreline like a traditional lake. 307,000 acres and 178 miles long. I’ll see if I can find a depth map for fishing somewhere.

Lake Sakakawea - Wikipedia

Matthew Lone Bear said he couldn’t answer a lot of questions, but said the truck was found Tuesday night. He said he couldn’t say where or how the truck was found, if it was on the Fort Berthold Reservation or how the vehicle was identified.

He also declined to say what was found inside the truck.

"We're still dealing with it," Matthew Lone Bear said.

It’s possible that the truck was found in the nearby lake as Tribal Chairman Mark Fox said Tuesday night that "purportedly" the truck had been found in Lake Sakakawea, but added there was "no formal verification from law enforcement yet."
"Until verification of all relevant data, I (have nothing) more to formally share," Fox said in an email.

Three Affiliated Tribes Police Capt. Grace Her Many Horses directed calls to Mandan, Hidatsa and Arikara Nation spokesman Tony Lone Fight, who confirmed the truck was found, but could not offer other immediate details.
Truck of missing North Dakota woman found, possibly in Lake ...

There are a lot of places the truck could easily enter this lake near New Town :/

Olivia's brother confirmed it was her and that she was identified by her tattoos but the FBI has not yet officially confirmed it. A Sahnish Scout volunteer said the truck was submerged about 30 feet deep, roughly 150 to 200 feet from shore.

On July 25 searchers began using a boat with sonar and found what appeared to be a submerged truck.

The caption of a photo posted in the article said the truck was pulled from Sanish Bay at a ND Game and Fish Boat ramp across from Crow Flies High Butte.
The brother of a missing New Town woman confirmed she was found deceased inside of the truck connected to her disappearance and recovered Tuesday from Lake Sakakawea.

"She was identified by tattoos," Matthew Lone Bear told the Tribune.
Lissa Yellowbird-Chase, who coordinates the volunteer Sahnish Scouts of North Dakota, said searchers began using a boat with sonar on July 25, finding what they believed to be a truck submerged in Sanish Bay on Lake Sakakawea near New Town.
Brother: Missing New Town woman found in submerged truck

From the Searching For Olivia Lone Bear Facebook page:

"Thank everyone for the kind words. It was confirmed Olivia was in the truck. We as a family won’t put out an official statement until Friday. We don’t have anymore details then what’s already out there in the media.

I can’t describe how this feels. Requesting the water search, water search, water search.
1f61e.png

We are working on arrangements now for Olivia. A friend, sister, daughter, and mother. Thank you for your patience."

There are a lot of places the truck could easily enter this lake near New Town :/

Most of the roads leading to the lake are pretty rural. One in particular ends on a sort of steep incline going into the lake.

Google Maps

A lot the roads in that area don't have street lamps or even street signs. Being it was night, if she was drinking heavily at the bar (or even after), she could have easily become disoriented and went straight into the lake. It reminds me of people that drown while on a bender because they swim in the opposite direction of the surface.

Most of the roads leading to the lake are pretty rural. One in particular ends on a sort of steep incline going into the lake.

Google Maps

A lot the roads in that area don't have street lamps or even street signs. Being it was night, if she was drinking heavily at the bar (or even after), she could have easily become disoriented and went straight into the lake. It reminds me of people that drown while on a bender because they swim in the opposite direction of the surface.
Going off the article posted upthread I think this might be the area:
Google Maps

There appears to be a boat ramp here:
Google Maps
Assuming the article is accurate of course.

Going off the article posted upthread I think this might be the area:
Google Maps

There appears to be a boat ramp here:
Google Maps
Assuming the article is accurate of course.

This is the Missouri River. The article states the truck was in Sakakawea Lake. From the picture in the article it doesn't appear to be a busy area, assuming those vehicles are investigator's. I see a white tent on the beach.

Based on the picture with landmarks, foliage and buildings posted in the article (which originally I thought was a stock photo) I think I located the site of where the truck was located.

Google Maps

Also at that link:

If a boat hit the truck, then it wasn't very deep. Possibly near shore?
How sad it wasn't found sooner. :(

When I was a kid, I went swimming in that lake quite a few times. Well not really swimming. I was too young to know how to swim. But anyway in the middle of the lake is the old river channel. That part of the lake is pretty damn deep. The rest of it is really not very deep at all. I was probably about four feet tall at that time and I could wade out pretty far from the shoreline. One time after I got back to shore my dad asked me not to do that again, pointing out that there were deep parts and I may not be able to find my way back to shore.

I wish I knew what part of the lake the truck was in. But it doesn't really surprise me that it was found by a boat. When the water level in the lake is low, large areas of the lake are completely dry, and you can see foundations of old houses that are usually covered by water.

Lake Sakakawea on a Comeback : Nodak Outdoors

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back