Found Deceased ND - Olivia Lone Bear, 32, New Town, 24 Oct 2017

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Most of the roads leading to the lake are pretty rural. One in particular ends on a sort of steep incline going into the lake.

Google Maps

A lot the roads in that area don't have street lamps or even street signs. Being it was night, if she was drinking heavily at the bar (or even after), she could have easily become disoriented and went straight into the lake. It reminds me of people that drown while on a bender because they swim in the opposite direction of the surface.

Here is the map for Sanish Bay where the truck was found.

Google Maps

Going off the article posted upthread I think this might be the area:
Google Maps

There appears to be a boat ramp here:
Google Maps
Assuming the article is accurate of course.

I think the first link is probably the location, but it would be possible to drive into the water at almost any point around there. If you look closely at the first link, you can see an abandoned railroad grade near the boat launch, that runs into the water. It's been breached at several points to let the water through. If she drove out on that, she could drove right off the end, into deep water.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2018-08-02 at 9.29.00 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2018-08-02 at 9.29.00 AM.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Going off the article posted upthread I think this might be the area:
Google Maps

There appears to be a boat ramp here:
Google Maps
Assuming the article is accurate of course.

You are right, I stand corrected. I missed the other article you posted. When I google map "Lake Sakakawea" it takes me to the body of water to the east side of New Town. It shows the body of water to the west of town as being the Missouri River, but I guess the "Lake" stretches halfway across the state? Talk about the wrong rabbit hole.

It really bothers me that she was so close to home - less than a mile even - and authorities seemingly dragged their feet on doing water searches. Chalked up as another drunken Indian woman who isn't worth their effort.

Last edited:
You are right, I stand corrected. I missed the other article you posted. When I google map "Lake Sakakawea" it takes me to the body of water to the east side of New Town. It shows the body of water to the west of town as being the Missouri River, but I guess the "Lake" stretches halfway across the state? Talk about the wrong rabbit hole.

It really bothers me that she was so close to home - less than a mile even - and authorities seemingly dragged their feet on doing water searches. Chalked up as another drunken Indian woman who isn't worth their effort.
No worries - it's a monster of a lake. Wiki says 1320 miles of shoreline!

And yeah, it's frustrating reading about the difficulties the family faced trying to get local authorities to take Olivia's disappearance seriously.
Family frustrated by lack of search efforts in Native America woman Olivia Lone Bear’s disappearance

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the 40th street boat launch she went off of. I just cannot believe how many roads and trails just dead end right off into the water or a cliff around there. What is weird to me is how her tattoos were still visible after 10 months. For comparison, Emily Anderson was found in a faster moving river 3.5 months after she disappeared and was almost entirely skeletal. She was in the passenger side with the car in neutral. I wonder if we will know how Olivia was found? It makes all the difference IMO.

This is saying searchers found the truck with sonar on July 25:
A volunteer group began searching the lake with sonar on July 25 and found what members believed was a submerged truck.

Volunteer Melaine Stoneman says divers worked to recover the truck, submerged about 30 feet deep and roughly 150 to 200 feet from shore.

The 32-year-old mother of five was last seen Oct. 25, 2017 driving in a pickup in New Town. The FBI is investigating.
Update: Brother Confirms Body Found Is Missing North Dakota Woman - KVRR Local News

So I guess it wasn't an accidental find after all? I wonder why the conflicting stories?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the 40th street boat launch she went off of. I just cannot believe how many roads and trails just dead end right off into the water or a cliff around there. What is weird to me is how her tattoos were still visible after 10 months. For comparison, Emily Anderson was found in a faster moving river 3.5 months after she disappeared and was almost entirely skeletal. She was in the passenger side with the car in neutral. I wonder if we will know how Olivia was found? It makes all the difference IMO.

All of those roads used to continue through. North Dakota Highway 8 used to be one continuous highway. Now it's two parts that run right into the lake.

Update: Brother Confirms Body Found Is Missing North Dakota Woman - KVRR Local News

So I guess it wasn't an accidental find after all? I wonder why the conflicting stories?

My impression was that the boater ran into it and then notified authorities that they didn't think it was a rock, who then went out with sonar. I'm sure most of the residents in that town knew about her and her truck being missing.

Maybe she was skeletonized due to the fast moving water. Olivia was in a lake. Or, perhaps Olivia was held captive somewhere until more recent?

I hope it doesn't take weeks or months for them to determine COD.

For what it's worth, I don't know, but a friend sent this to me last year (see date) that this was the place they thought needed searching.

Attachments

• Sanish Bay.png
    Sanish Bay.png
    211.8 KB · Views: 28

This article says last Saturday, which would be July 28. That makes more sense so probably a typo on the other article.
Lone Bear family confirms Olivia's body has been identified

I'm learning that it was a team of people, one woman in particular, that discovered the truck. They were specifically looking for Olivia and located the truck on July 30th.

This article contains a transcript of interviews with Olivia Lone Bear's brother and Mary Kathryn Nagle, a citizen of the Cherokee Nation. Mary discusses the issue of missing and murdered indigenous women, a serious problem in the US and Canada.

Body of Olivia Lone Bear Found in N. Dakota as Native Women Face Crisis of Murders, Disappearances

Body of Olivia Lone Bear Found in N. Dakota as Native Women Face Crisis of Murders, Disappearances | Democracy Now!

After an agonizing 9-month search, the body of Olivia Lone Bear was found Tuesday in a pickup truck submerged in a lake right by her house on the Fort Berthold Reservation. The mother of five went missing in late October in New Town, North Dakota. Her disappearance has sparked renewed attention to the disproportionately high rates of disappearance, rape and murder of Native American women across the United States. These already-alarming rates are particularly high in areas of oil extraction, like North Dakota’s Bakken Shale, which is the origin point for the Dakota Access pipeline.

Matthew Lone Bear spent nine months looking for his older sister, Olivia — using drones and four-wheelers, fending off snakes and crisscrossing nearly a million acres, often on foot. The 32-year-old mother of five had last been seen driving a Chevy Silverado on Oct. 25, 2017, in downtown New Town, on the oil-rich terrain of North Dakota's Fort Berthold Reservation.

On July 31, volunteers using sonar found the truck with Olivia inside submerged in a lake less than a mile from her home. It's a body of water that had been searched before, her brother says, but "obviously not as thoroughly, or they would have found it a long time ago."

Lone Bear says authorities were slow in launching their search — it took days to get underway — and didn't get boats in the water until December, despite his frequent pleas. He's working to develop a protocol for missing person cases for North Dakota's tribes "that gets the red tape and bureaucracy out of the way," he says.

The FBI is investigating Olivia's death.

Montana woman's disappearance 1 of many Native American women missing or dead

It sure is a long time before she was found-dead
I mean 9 months!! She was the mother of 5 children,thats so sad that it took so long before the LE would start searching...days?? Really??!
I do hope that her brother is getting all the help for answers
Is it known,how she died? Hopefully some forensic evidence can be secured

Is there any news?
We do have some new "privacy rules" here in the EU,so it seems that I can not access some websites....
BUMP

Is there any news?
We do have some new "privacy rules" here in the EU,so it seems that I can not access some websites....
BUMP

This is the most recent information that I can find.

Its almost a month, since Olivia Lone Bear was found in Lake Sakakawea.
KX News has been following the case since she first went missing 10 months ago.

The FBI says the investigation into her death continues.
They are still not releasing a cause of death.

An FBI Investigator tells KX News that because of the location of Ms. Lone Bear and her vehicle the investigation will take longer than a standard investigation.
They say it's important that they proceed methodically.

The vehicle Lone Bear was last seen driving, was found just 100 feet from a dock on Lake Sakakawea in New Town.
Olivia Lone Bear was just 32-years-old when she disappeared.

Investigation into Olivia Lone Bear's death continues

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Torontoperson