ND ND - Reachelle Smith, 3, Minot, 16 May 2006

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Reachelle Smith turns 4 years old

Today is Reachelle Smith's fourth birthday...

(Samantha Smith, Reachelle's Mother) "(The dog handler) not finding anything has been...has been a joy. But it's been hard. It's a joy because it doesn't point to she's dead, but it's hard because she's still not home."

Samantha says she hopes Reachelle will be found soon and hopes especially that her daughter's birthday is being remembered by whomever has her.

"We don't know if they're giving her a good birthday party. We don't know if she'll get any presents, or a hug, or anything. And that's the hardest part for us is just not knowing..."

KELOLAND.COM: News for Sioux Falls, South Dakota, Minnesota and Iowa

Samantha Smith says she's holding out hope that her daughter is still alive, and that whomever may have her remembered her birthday.

I can't believe that this little angel still hasn't been found. What an unbearably sad world sometimes. :(

Where is our little Reachelle? I still believe that she is alive somewhere. I think that she is with people that love her and that she already knew them. Whoever has her is probably far enough away to where she won't be recognized and she will change as she gets older. I just hope that she is happy and gets lots of love.

ottawasun.com - National/World - Ex-dictator denies Hong Kong gold stash

MINOT, N.D. -- Law enforcement officers plan another search tomorrow for a child who disappeared from her home here about five months ago.

Reachelle Smith, 4, was believed to be with Leigh Cowen, 22, who disappeared about the same time. His body was found May 23, in a van in the Upper Souris National Wildlife Refuge northwest of Minot, and authorities said he apparently killed himself. They found no trace of Reachelle.

JerseyGirl said:
Search for missing girl is planned

I can't get the above link to open but just in case someone else can, maybe there is additional information.

It worked for me...this is all that is different from the other article:
His body was found May 23, in a van in the Upper Souris National Wildlife Refuge northwest of Minot, and authorities said he apparently killed himself. But they found no trace of Reachelle.

Sheriff's Capt. Todd Keller said authorities plan to look again at that area Friday.

"We are just doing a little bit of follow-up, in the same area that we had searched in the past, "Keller said. "The sheriff suggested that we do search the area again where the vehicle was found and maybe some of those townships that we missed when we had done the large horse search earlier this year."

Thanks so much, SD. Here's a new link:

Authorities Recover Ground in Search for Reachelle Smith

... "The sheriff wanted us to come back before the winter months, before everything was covered with snow, and do another search."

Nearby, yellow tape still hangs on branches where they found things (suspected abductor Leigh Cowen) left before he committed suicide...

"You can see the line a lot better with the foliage change, and a lot of the leaves off the trees, but still it's difficult walking with the steepness of the hills."

No new leads prompted this search. Rather, previous search parties weren't able to re-cover the whole area several months ago.

And as the 14 man search wrapped up this afternoon, those involved say they found nothing new pertaining to the case of the little girl...but added they don't intend to stop searches altogether.

...In the next few weeks, Reachelle's family will have a dog-search recover the ground yet again.

Authorities are also asking that hunters be on the look-out for any sign of the little girl.

KFYR-TV North Dakota's NBC News Leader

Tuesday, May 15th, was a day like any other. That night, after a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and a few hugs, Reachelle Smith drifted off to sleep.

"The next morning I woke up, got all my stuff together, got ready for work, went downstairs and she wasn`t there," says Stephanie Smith, Reachelle`s guardian. "I was like, `Leigh, where is she?` And he said, oh, my mom came and took her this morning. I told you about it the other day."

This wasn`t a new thing. Leigh Cowen was a trusted friend, almost like part of the family. They agreed Reachelle would be home on Friday. After a few days of being away from her child, Stephanie Smith asked Cowen if she could see her or talk to her. Cowen always had an excuse. His car broke down, they were shopping, she was with his mom. Then towards the end of the week, Cowen and his mother stopped by the house but Reachelle was nowhere to be seen...

(more at link)

JerseyGirl said:
KFYR-TV North Dakota's NBC News Leader

Tuesday, May 15th, was a day like any other. That night, after a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and a few hugs, Reachelle Smith drifted off to sleep.

"The next morning I woke up, got all my stuff together, got ready for work, went downstairs and she wasn`t there," says Stephanie Smith, Reachelle`s guardian. "I was like, `Leigh, where is she?` And he said, oh, my mom came and took her this morning. I told you about it the other day."

This wasn`t a new thing. Leigh Cowen was a trusted friend, almost like part of the family. They agreed Reachelle would be home on Friday. After a few days of being away from her child, Stephanie Smith asked Cowen if she could see her or talk to her. Cowen always had an excuse. His car broke down, they were shopping, she was with his mom. Then towards the end of the week, Cowen and his mother stopped by the house but Reachelle was nowhere to be seen...

(more at link)

Very interesting. I have followed this case since little Reachelle went missing. If memory serves me this isn't the story that was told when she first went missing.

The aunt didn't even attempt to get in contact with Reachelle for a week after she was gone. I remember that was talked about quite a bit. Besides, why would the aunt have to ask Leigh's permission to get in contact with Reachelle at his mothers?

I don't believe Leigh had a car. He used the aunts van all of the time. In fact, that is where he was found when it was said that he committed suicide.
He was like a member of the family because Reachelle's bio mom had told Leigh that Reachelle was his child. She told him the truth at a way later date.
Leigh even told his family that Reachelle was his daughter. He loved her like she was his own.

When Stephanie Smith finally got around to checking on Reachelle no one answered the phone. She went over to Leigh's mother's house and it was empty. The mother had moved to another state which wasn't a spur of the moment thing. She had been waiting for a daughter to get out of school to move. I think the family had been transferred as someone was in the service. They had been living on the base.

Leigh's mother had only kept Reachelle one day in her life time. Why would Stephanie think that Reachelle was going to stay with Leigh's mother for a week. Reachelle didn't even know Leigh's mother.

I think that the whole story that was told to LE was a crock. It was so full of holes...just like this story. The story changed everytime it was told.

I believe that Reachelle is with someone. I don't think that Leigh did anything to her like was believed by a few in the beginning. I have interacted with both Leigh's mom and his sister online and they feel the same way that I do.
A lot of people do. I don't know who she could be with but I think that Reachelle's bio mom might know. She gave her sister, Stephanie, guardianship of Reachelle when she was born. Maybe she wanted her daughter back as she is older now and married and settled down. Maybe she didn't want a court battle with her sister over Reachelle so Reachelle went missing instead.
I was told that the bio mom asked Leigh to help her. Fact or fiction..I don't know.

It is interesting that the bio mom was on her way to Bismark. Isn't that in Germany? I know that her husband is in the service. I would bet that Reachelle is in Bismark. I know that the bio mom was back after that because she was on the news. That would have been a smart move on her part. Leave Reachelle there with friends her husband had made and come back for awhile.

I just read that whole article and it is nothing like what was said in the beginning. When people lie they forget what they have said.

When I read Bismarck, I assumed it meant North Dakota.

It sounds like you know a whole lot more about this story than I do, Bobbisangel. I don't really remember at this point who did what or who said what to whom, etc. I just wish that this beautiful child would have been found by now. This one tears me up.

JerseyGirl said:
When I read Bismarck, I assumed it meant North Dakota.

It sounds like you know a whole lot more about this story than I do, Bobbisangel. I don't really remember at this point who did what or who said what to whom, etc. I just wish that this beautiful child would have been found by now. This one tears me up.

You might be right about North Dakota but I know her husband was/is in the service and I connected to Germany for some reason. I'll have to research that.

I wish we would hear something too but in my heart I don't have a doubt that this little girl is alright.

Bobbisangel said:
I wish we would hear something too but in my heart I don't have a doubt that this little girl is alright.
I wish I felt the same way.

phylliyum said:
I wonder if Reachelle is the little girl they found in AZ??? the description seems to match - although the height is a little off. The little girl they found in a plastic bin in a u-store-it locker...
OMG, how absolutely horrible! You're right; her description really does sound like Reachelle.

Kezlyn said:
I thought the same thing.

The hair sounds the same and the age, etc. I wonder what the little girl had on. I don't know why the didn't at least say what she was wearing. Has anyone here sent them a picture of Reachelle?

I don't know if anyone sent them a picture. I'm not sure what the procedure is when they find a body but I would think that with a child that young, they would quickly access NCMEC database. I hope so anyway.

The one thing that has me thinking that it's probably not Reachelle is the condition of the body. The only way that it could possibly be her, IMO, is if she was somehow alive until just recently.

The date Reachelle went missing wouldn't fit unless like Jersey Girl said someone kept her alive until dec. I wouldn't assume anyone sent in a picture or that the police check NCMEC I just read about a runaway found dead and they didn't go thru missing in their own area she was identified by a news cast picture seen by a friend.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro
Back