ND ND - Thomas 'Tom' Bearson, 19, Fargo, 20 Sep 2014 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
People seem to complain that there is no coverage and no attention paid to a crime by the media. And then when there is it is torn apart because it is not the angle wanted. I for one am happy that the conversation is being had. We do not always get the news we want to hear. Is it the truth, or from a creditable source? The fact that students go away to college unprepared to deal with independence and no curfews and the perils that are truthfully out there is a true fact. For the paper to stimulate that conversation may not memorialize the victim in the way we would like does not mean the conversation should not be had, IMO.

In the college town where I live there have been upwards of 160 police calls to a half dozen off campus apartment complexes since just August. Calls ranging from breakins, parties out of control, assaults and rapes. Then when the police arrive nobody will "snitch" or give LE any information to follow up on. It's disgraceful.

JMO's

People seem to complain that there is no coverage and no attention paid to a crime by the media. And then when there is it is torn apart because it is not the angle wanted. I for one am happy that the conversation is being had. We do not always get the news we want to hear. Is it the truth, or from a creditable source? The fact that students go away to college unprepared to deal with independence and no curfews and the perils that are truthfully out there is a true fact. For the paper to stimulate that conversation may not memorialize the victim in the way we would like does not mean the conversation should not be had, IMO.

In the college town where I live there have been upwards of 160 police calls to a half dozen off campus apartment complexes since just August. Calls ranging from breakins, parties out of control, assaults and rapes. Then when the police arrive nobody will "snitch" or give LE any information to follow up on. It's disgraceful.

JMO's

Excellent post, Jggordo. What other angle would there be when interviewing his room mate? None. It would have been pointless to ask him what he thought happened and that's the only other possible angle he would have been able to offer.

I was very impressed with the college police and what not when I was up there for DD's graduation. AGAIN, not NDSU, but a nearby college, and if these college kids get drunk or whatever, whatever time of night, they call campus security and they will pick them up and cart them around wherever they want to to go, like to McDs, etc. I guess this is all hitting home now that I have one lone son up there now. I'm not sure what the heck happened, but this is a place where my daughter and friends would walk at all hours of the night. Beautiful area. What the heck happened??????

Excellent post, Jggordo. What other angle would there be when interviewing his room mate? None. It would have been pointless to ask him what he thought happened and that's the only other possible angle he would have been able to offer.

Not really sure about alternative "angles". I guess the point I am trying to make is in this day and age with newspapers, especially smaller ones the concept of investigative reporters IMO is few and far between. So many just take the news off the newswires, which is why some cases go cold. So I applaud the reporter asking any questions and continuing to investigate. I suppose should they could have explained how his behavior was a lot like other kids as well and how universal the problem. I mean seriously, look at "the trap" and the behavior that continues even in the wake of this event.

JMO

At first it was said there was video/campus camera of TB leaving his dorm but then that statement was corrected to say no such video/photo exist.

My parents said they saw videotape of it on the news. I believe another sleuther said they saw it as well. Perhaps my parents were confused but it really doesn't seem like it to me. A coincidence that my mom said she saw Bearson leaving his dorm with his backpack and that it reminded her of the pictures of Andrew Sadek. She said it was eerie. And then this article comes out & mentions him leaving with his backpack? Maybe my mom is clairvoyant?

But I guess if they are saying there is no tape, that's what they are saying. I don't believe that for one second! There's no videotape in the dorm TB lived in?! My kids are in college - there are cameras all over in their dorm!

People who believe there isn't any tape/pictures must really be naive. I wish I could live in THAT world.

JMO's

I thought it was a great article. I didn't think it made Tom out to be a bad guy - just a typical college freshman. I thought "nothing less" of him after reading it. I suppose when you are too close to the situation, it's hard to see things clearly.

Following Twitter accounts....I saw that the girlfriend was not happy w/the media the day the article came out.

At first it was said there was video/campus camera of TB leaving his dorm but then that statement was corrected to say no such video/photo exist.

It's also been reported that there are places on campus without working security cameras. For example, the Student Union's cameras haven't worked in 2 years. A link is up thread.

The frustrating "truth" is this: The evidence that we the public have on this case is probably less than 5% of what LE know. We can speculate all we want based on a mysterious tweet & twitter accounts but the LE has a lot more information than we do. They have the location of the "pings" of Tommy's cell, the location/content of TB's backpack, the owner of the phone number in the mysterious tweet, the entire explanation of the reason for JW's tweet, the who/what/when/how they found TB's body @ Larry's RV, countless interviews, DNA, cause/manner of death, behavior of those close to the situation and a lot more inside information. The fact is the guilty party probably isn't tweeting or on any social media site talking about TB because they don't want to draw attention to themselves.

We have to believe LE is doing the best job they can because it's our only choice.

Long story short.. I am hopeful police have this under control & are just waiting for important forensic evidence to come in. In my case, it is hard not to be skeptical of LE because of the Sadek case; however, they are different agencies so I have to believe there will be different outcomes.

I'm a rookie poster here, although I have been following this case from the very beginning. I apologize in advance if I am not following the appropriate protocol. I hesitate in commenting as I don't have any first hand info and my intent is not to show disrespect to those who are close to TB. I live in MN and my work takes me throughout the state - by chance a person tends to meet people who know people, who know people, who know things. Or, at least like to think they know things. People like to talk. [modsnip]In my mind, I keep going back to the talk about the gang initiation beating. It all sounds so vicious and senseless.

No. I don't go to NDSU. I just know people in both Sartell and Fargo through my business travels.

No. I don't go to NDSU. I just know people in both Sartell and Fargo through my business travels.

Have you picked up on whether the locals believe this case will have resolution? Is there a sense of that at all?

does anyone think its strange they aren't also looking for the backpack too? or maybe they have that piece of evidence already..? If he had a backpack, it was most likely because he wasn't returning home for the weekend or going to stay over someone's house. Or maybe a fraternity trip.. if he was involved with one? It seems to me that someone's shoe would only be missing off their body if it was moved there from somewhere else by someone holding the legs or someone dragging them.

Also, It might just be a coincidence but the place he was found dead is right off the 94 freeway that someone would be taking if they were going back to his hometown (Sartel). With so little information there's endless scenarios.. sigh

Why do you feel the backpack is a piece of 'evidence'?

I'm a rookie poster here, although I have been following this case from the very beginning. I apologize in advance if I am not following the appropriate protocol. I hesitate in commenting as I don't have any first hand info and my intent is not to show disrespect to those who are close to TB. I live in MN and my work takes me throughout the state - by chance a person tends to meet people who know people, who know people, who know things. Or, at least like to think they know things. People like to talk. [modsnip] In my mind, I keep going back to the talk about the gang initiation beating. It all sounds so vicious and senseless.

[modsnip]. This summer we had a double death in the family and the rumors that went around were amazing to hear. Also the rumors were absolutely and totally wrong.

Help me out here. Correct me if I am wrong. A lot of what is discussed on this site is speculation. Speculation can grow from fact, into rumor - and unfortunately in some people's mind, becomes reality because they have nothing else to hang on to. True, I did share 'rumor' on this site. Some of my sources are more reliable then others. I will say my sources are professional adults - if anything, maybe it gives them some credibility. The only rumor I'm unsure of the source is the car dragging thing. Moving forward, should I not be posting non fact on this site? I just want to be clear, my Momma raised me to be a rule follower.

Help me out here. Correct me if I am wrong. A lot of what is discussed on this site is speculation. Speculation can grow from fact, into rumor - and unfortunately in some people's mind, becomes reality because they have nothing else to hang on to. True, I did share 'rumor' on this site. Some of my sources are more reliable then others. I will say my sources are professional adults - if anything, maybe it gives them some credibility. The only rumor I'm unsure of the source is the car dragging thing. Moving forward, should I not be posting non fact on this site? I just want to be clear, my Momma raised me to be a rule follower.

I didn't have any difficulty understanding that you made it clear that what you heard was rumor. So...I have no need to point that out to you. Thank you for your input. You are welcome here!!!

Keep posting away & making yourself clear. We have a cold case here & a deceased young man. Justice needs to be served!
I am speculating about a few theories of what happened that night to TB & they circle around:
A drug OD & associates panicked
Hazing gone too far
TB was working with LE as an informant & wire discovered in his backpack
Alcohol poisoning & friends panicked
Gang acquaintances thought he "narc'ed" them out

So yeah......speculate & theorize away.

Peace.

Hi Boowhoz. I live in Sartell and have heard the same rumors/speculation as you have. Some coming from what I consider to be credible sources and some from those I don't know well enough to make the call. What I do know is, when I have posted what has been rumored my posts are met with some of the same response(s), and then removed. Now I keep what I hear to myself. You are right when you say people hang on to what they hear, it is all they have. The community is trying to understand why, and how an 18 year old (who had been away at school for only a month) ends up murdered. They want and need answers. So I guess until LE delivers the "facts" in this case we can only speculate on our own. Hopefully they will come to a resolution soon and an arrest is made. Then and only then will we see what is, and what isn't released in the sad and tragic death of Tom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SluethinAway