NE NE - Chance Englebert, 25, Gering, 6 July 2019 (new father)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you regarding the death certificate question. I know everyone is different and I haven’t been in the situation personally, but I know even in dealing with an unexpected suicide of a close family member, I was in denial. It took me a year before I stopped trying to call her phone and praying she was going to pick up. I would think one would be holding out hope that he was safe and would return. The only way I could see jumping to the death conclusion so quickly was if 1) I had been prepared and/or waiting for this day to come or 2) I knew more than I was letting on. Sometimes we speak before our minds think things through. I am not at all accusing, I’m only sharing my thoughts on the matter. Even with the money concerns, I would be even more determined to find him and I would be utilizing any support from family I could get. And I realize not everyone has family but I certainly can see how a question like she asked so soon after would cause some distention between all of them.

I was born and raised here in Scottsbluff/Gering, NE. I didn’t know CE or I dont personally know his wife or anyone directly related to him but it’s not that big of a town, chances are even if you’ve never personally met someone you’ve probably heard their name before or you know someone in common...I am not passing any judgement onto what happened to him but I’ve heard a lot of rumors about her being unhappy and even her stepping out of the marriage to be with someone who was close to the both of them/their families.. how is this relevant to the death certificate inquiry you ask? Well..
How does one go about getting a divorce from a *missing* person?

It certainly sounds as if the wife firmly believed he wasn’t coming back. Why?

amateur opinion and speculation
JMO
I'm unclear as to how long after Chance went missing that his wife believed he wouldn't be coming back.
Why would she believe this?
1) She most likely firmly believed that Chance would never abandon his infant son and his wife.
2) After a certain amount of time passed, she most likely believed that the only possible reason for his not returning home was that he was deceased.
JMO

I was born and raised here in Scottsbluff/Gering, NE. I didn’t know CE or I dont personally know his wife or anyone directly related to him but it’s not that big of a town, chances are even if you’ve never personally met someone you’ve probably heard their name before or you know someone in common...I am not passing any judgement onto what happened to him but I’ve heard a lot of rumors about her being unhappy and even her stepping out of the marriage to be with someone who was close to the both of them/their families.. how is this relevant to the death certificate inquiry you ask? Well..
1) One gets a divorce from a "missing" person by declaring abandonment.

2) I, too, have seen the "rumors' about Chance's wife which seem to be based on her demeanor at press conferences with LE. She was holding the baby and not crying or hysterical. The press conference can be accessed on post #10 in this thread. NE - NE - Chance Englebert, 25, Gering, 6 July 2019 (new father)

Last edited:
I come back past this thread periodically to see what might be new but crickets. I continue to wonder why there seems to be a strong effort to recover his body. His friends are doing a magnificent job at searching and their efforts are outstanding. But, it is still for his body. Maybe other efforts are just not mentioned in MSM and therefore not on here.
I wonder if LE has a real good idea of what happened and who did it but just doesn't have enough hard evidence to issue an arrest warrant.

She spoke to his new job only a couple of days after he disappeared and told them not to hold the job, and it was sort of shocking to read in conjunction with the question about a death certificate.
Indeed, such certainty is unsettling.
Why was she so certain? What would have been argued about that would cause so much distress for this beautiful young man to be so despondent? I can certainly guess, but only the wife and her family know. I wonder if they have been truthful to Chance’s parents. They owe them that, IMO.

amateur opinion and speculation

A good article about 'ambiguous loss.'
"We cannot begin to imagine what the families of the missing go through. They vacillate between hope and despair. They are in their own special type of hell.
Initially, after someone goes missing, there is hope. Searches begin, signs go up and psychics are brought in.
However, as the days go by, and it seems that finding the loved one becomes less likely, the despair and torment set in. How do you mourn or should you if you do not know the fate of your loved one?
Families can go through years of intense searching and still not have any clues about what happened or where their loved one is."
The impact on the individuals and the family as a unit can be profound.
Ambiguous Loss

I agree with you regarding the death certificate question. I know everyone is different and I haven’t been in the situation personally, but I know even in dealing with an unexpected suicide of a close family member, I was in denial. It took me a year before I stopped trying to call her phone and praying she was going to pick up. I would think one would be holding out hope that he was safe and would return. The only way I could see jumping to the death conclusion so quickly was if 1) I had been prepared and/or waiting for this day to come or 2) I knew more than I was letting on. Sometimes we speak before our minds think things through. I am not at all accusing, I’m only sharing my thoughts on the matter. Even with the money concerns, I would be even more determined to find him and I would be utilizing any support from family I could get. And I realize not everyone has family but I certainly can see how a question like she asked so soon after would cause some distention between all of them.

1) One gets a divorce from a "missing" person by declaring abandonment.

2) I, too, have seen the "rumors' about Chance's wife which seem to be based on her demeanor at press conferences with LE. She was holding the baby and not crying or hysterical. The press conference can be accessed on post #10 in this thread. NE - NE - Chance Englebert, 25, Gering, 6 July 2019 (new father)

Thank you for the reply! It was an honest question I didn’t know how that would work in this case.. does anyone know if she has filed for divorce? I know it’s all public record and I can go down to the courthouse and find out if I really wanted to..

Thank you for the reply! It was an honest question I didn’t know how that would work in this case.. does anyone know if she has filed for divorce? I know it’s all public record and I can go down to the courthouse and find out if I really wanted to..

"What happens when someone goes missing? At the moment, when it comes to their financial affairs, the answer is – nothing. With no legal authority to act on their behalf, families can find that their worries are worsened considerably by being unable to deal with their missing family member’s banking, mortgage, insurance or benefits in their absence. At worst, the missing person’s finances can be irreparably damaged and homes may even be lost."
What happens to someone’s finances if they go missing?

Although this article is from the UK, the situation in the US is very similar.
I would assume the wife would do what competent (hopefully) legal counsel advises her to do. For instance, if getting a divorce would help her to be able to handle the finances in his absence then I assume she will do it.

I come back past this thread periodically to see what might be new but crickets. I continue to wonder why there seems to be a strong effort to recover his body. His friends are doing a magnificent job at searching and their efforts are outstanding. But, it is still for his body. Maybe other efforts are just not mentioned in MSM and therefore not on here.
I wonder if LE has a real good idea of what happened and who did it but just doesn't have enough hard evidence to issue an arrest warrant.

BBM
"To date, [Gering Police Captain] Rogers said, there has not been any evidence to suggest that Englebert’s disappearance is the result of foul play.

There has been a lot of misinformation and opinions passed around on different social media platforms with respect to the investigation. While we recognize that people are afforded the freedom of speech by the U.S. Constitution, we ask that people consider the consequences of the comments and thoughts they express on those most effected by Chance’s disappearance: his family and close friends,” said Rogers."
Gering Police share update on missing man Chance Englebert investigation

There have been so many thoughts shared that he would never leave his baby, wife and mother and brothers and I, for one have no way of knowing circumstances other than as people state. If that point of view is taken as absolute fact and it seems that it has then the only other direction is purposeful or accidental death and that seems to be the road folks are on. But, as stated above, LE has found no evidence of foul play. So, where to now?

No evidence of foul play doesn't mean there wasn't foul play.
The friend he called to come pick him up -but he didn't : ( - do we know if that person remarked on Chance's inebriation level or state of mind?
Apologies if this has already been covered.

I keep thinking of what would cause a new father with a new job to disappear voluntarily or take his life. I keep coming back to questions about paternity or fidelity. Those are the only two I can think of. Of course, he could have just been blitzed and it was misadventure.

That being said, this one feels really "off". Deception. The word deception keeps coming to mind, but not sure why. Deception. This case has me baffled.

Amateur opinion and speculation

The friend he called to come pick him up -but he didn't : ( - do we know if that person remarked on Chance's inebriation level or state of mind?

I keep thinking of what would cause a new father with a new job to disappear voluntarily or take his life. I keep coming back to questions about paternity or fidelity. Those are the only two I can think of. Of course, he could have just been blitzed and it was misadventure.

That being said, this one feels really "off". Deception. The word deception keeps coming to mind, but not sure why. Deception. This case has me baffled.

BBM
I believe BOTH of these were a part of the issue. MOO

This case has me bouncing back and forth more so than any other case I’ve followed. One min I can agree he ended up in the water d/t storm, frame of mind, alcohol consumption, unfamiliarity with the location, etc. The next min, I think foul play.

I will not be surprised either way once we finally have a conclusion Unless by some miracle Chance is found alive and well (that would surprise me).

I do believe everyone who says he would never abandon his wife and son. Yes, he angrily stormed away but that IMO is much different than abandoning permanently. I think this was an unfortunate and unplanned permanent separation whether foul play or not.

As far as foul play goes, there are a few things I cannot get passed.
1. Her story doesn’t make sense to me. If she truly ran the baby inside and immediately started looking for him...how did she not find him? Vehicle = faster than walking; Gering isn’t the same as disappearing in say Omaha. I’m from a smaller town in eastern NE and I know pretty much every road there as I imagine his wife may IMO.
2. Her nonchalant comment and attitude (MOO) during the interview when she said it started raining and she just didn’t find him. So she gives up and goes back to her family’s house? Couple that with her statements blaming Chance for overreacting.
3. Wife’s almost immediate assumption that he most certainly “will be coming home in a body bag, not alive” per Chance’s mother (during an interview when asked about BE’s reaction to everything).

Possibly this is an unfortunate accident and it’s not unreasonable to think that the stress has inadvertently made statements come off as suspicious. Maybe wife was unhappy in the marriage and when he disappeared, the relief of not having to worry about the conflict/distention divorce often brings was such a relief that it was hard to hide in her actions and verbiage.

FWIW I remember hearing or reading in msm that he did not sound intoxicated/impaired and that he would have been sobered up given the length of time from his last drink.

I still can’t decide what I believe :eek:
All MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads