NE NE - Chance Englebert, 25, Gering, 6 July 2019 (new father)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a very sad case.
Sad because a young man is missing.
Sad because his family is being torn apart.
Sad because rumors on social media contribute to and intensify the family's pain.
There is absolutely no evidence of foul play in this case.

There has been a lot of misinformation and opinions passed around on different social media platforms with respect to the investigation.
While we recognize that people are afforded the freedom of speech by the U.S. Constitution, we ask that people consider the consequences of the comments and thoughts they express on those most effected by Chance’s disappearance : his family and close friends,” said [Gering Police Captain] Rogers."

BBM
Gering Police share update on missing man Chance Englebert investigation

It is very hard to determine what is going on here, but clearly we don’t have all the pertinent details, and likely never will.

With the little to go on, this seems like another man who will be found in water. Dang men and that draw to water! As to what made him storm off angry or despondent, only the wife and her family know. Sadly, whatever the cause, it’s not going to change the outcome.

The wife seems to think he is deceased, and I’d say she would know better than anyone. As to how she knows this, well I don’t think we will ever get the full story on that.

I sure hope Chance’s dear family will have closure soon.

BTW, I noticed in the video upthread of Chance’s BF being interviewed, he referred to Chance as “was” vs. “is”. Past tense.

amateur opinion and speculation

There's no evidence of ANYTHING. Either way.

There is video evidence of Chance Englebert walking away from Gering, NE, before the storm, on the night he went missing.
"Gering Police Capt. Jason Rogers confirms that as part of the investigation, Englebert had been captured on video walking past two businesses in Gering and an apartment in Terrytown. The last video of the man shows him walking in the area of the intersection of Terry Boulevard and Stable Club Road in Terrytown."
Gering Police share update on missing man Chance Englebert investigation

Well, kudos to LE for this Herculean search, and kudos to his BF Matt for all the auxiliary volunteer searches.

As I always say on these threads where there are folks missing outdoors, it is incredibly difficult to search and find outdoors. You can literally walk right past remains within 2 inches and not see them.
Chance will be found eventually
Due to changing weather conditions, it seems as if many recoveries happen in the Spring. Let us hope this for Chance.

amateur opinion and speculation

I just finished reading/watching everything I could find on Chance's disappearance. Wow....a lot going on here. In isolation many things I read/watched aren't *necessarily* nefarious or suspicious, but in context to Chance's disappearance, and strung together....well I'd say there are a few folks who need to answer some questions. I'd start with anyone who isn't permitting their property to be searched, but that's just may amateur opinion and speculation.

I will also say that I believe this case goes beyond the scope of the local authorities, who should absolutely seek additional support from other agencies. Lot's going on here....alot.

Amateur opinion and speculation

I just had a rather unpleasant thought, but it’s gnawing at me so I’m going to post it.

What if the searchers have been looking in the right area, but looking in the wrong direction, meaning down. What if they should be looking up....in the trees. : (

Amateur opinion and speculation

Last edited:
This is my first comment, and I created my profile because I wanted to add this.

Let’s not discount that he drown. It happens every day.

Men do drown. My great uncle drown in the Spoon River in the 60s. He was a WWII vet and grew up on a medium-size farm and and tough as nails. I didn’t know him because I was born in the 80s.

I researched this before posting because I know my great uncle John drown, and it was under similar circumstances. Every study that I am finding shows that men are much more likely to drown than women. The study I read says that it’s because men take more chances around water.

I don’t think that a water/storm related drowning should be taken off the table, especially on the basis of he was male. As sad and unfair as it is flood plains (as studied on the day of the disappearance) need to be searched. Drowning is a possibility here.

This is my first comment, and I created my profile because I wanted to add this.

Let’s not discount that he drown. It happens every day.

Men do drown. My great uncle drown in the Spoon River in the 60s. He was a WWII vet and grew up on a medium-size farm and and tough as nails. I didn’t know him because I was born in the 80s.

I researched this before posting because I know my great uncle John drown, and it was under similar circumstances. Every study that I am finding shows that men are much more likely to drown than women. The study I read says that it’s because men take more chances around water.

I don’t think that a water/storm related drowning should be taken off the table, especially on the basis of he was male. As sad and unfair as it is flood plains (as studied on the day of the disappearance) need to be searched. Drowning is a possibility here.
Welcome to Websleuths, EricaL! :) I agree and I would love to read that study as we see this so often in cases here. MOO

PommyMommy

This is ILS (International Life Saving Federation). The section titled “Gender and Age” explains the male specific issues around drowning. I choose it because their is no paywall and it’s a quick and high-quality read.

This is the specific quote:

“Overall, far more drowning victims are male than female. Perhaps this is so because, worldwide, more men than women participate in water sports or are near water in their work or recreation. Men may also take more and greater risks, or tend more often to overrate their swimming abilities.”

Drowning Facts and Figures – International Life Saving Federation

edit: I am adding this. It references the CDC study, and If anyone is interested it gives some great info that is extremely relevant to the case. Namely that alcohol, thunderstorms are huge risk factors. In addition, it references the CDC study that found 80% of drowning victims are male, which is heartbreaking.

Why are men more likely to drown than women?

Last edited:
PommyMommy

This is ILS (International Life Saving Federation). The section titled “Gender and Age” explains the male specific issues around drowning. I choose it because their is no paywall and it’s a quick and high-quality read.

“Overall, far more drowning victims are male than female. Perhaps this is so because, worldwide, more men than women participate in water sports or are near water in their work or recreation. Men may also take more and greater risks, or tend more often to overrate their swimming abilities.”

Thank you so much. I will add this to my collection to reference in the future. :) MOO

Last edited:
PommyMommy

edit: I am adding this. It references the CDC study, and If anyone is interested it gives some great info that is extremely relevant to the case. Namely that alcohol, thunderstorms are huge risk factors. In addition, it references the CDC study that found 80% of drowning victims are male, which is heartbreaking.

Yes, statistically high for males and also there is high likelihood said males are also intoxicated. I find this “phenomenon” (intoxicated men later found in close bodies of water) really sad and unsettling but I needed to do research as I live in a city where the “smiley face killer” theory is rampant (and it’s just not statistically sound)
I’m so hopeful that Chance was so angry and hurt that he ran from his past life, but I’m quite convinced in thinking it was a bunch of unfortunate variables lending themselves to a terrible and tragic accident. Moo

PommyMommy

Thank you for this EricaL. I was surprised however, that alcohol was not listed as a factor in drownings. In many of the WS cases, the male was under the influence and was likely a cause of falling in the water, whether on purpose or accidently.

Someone (and I can't recall if it was at WS), suggested that the sounds of the water reminds the inebriated person that they need to urinate. Perhaps in the act of trying to urinate in the water, they slip off the banks and into the cold water.

I don't think this is what happened here, though. Even though he had been drinking, I believe CE was caught totally unaware in a rare flashflood that swept him away.

I agree. I feel like he did also, and I do think that drinking and exhaustion are factors that should be studied. I listened to the vanished podcast, and was immediately remembering that my great uncle John was swept away by the Spoon River in Illinois because the current was exceptionally rough. He had also been lightly drinking with his brothers before a thunderstorm.

I have to say I found Marissa’s podcast fair and facts based. Other people on YouTube seem to want to stir up drama, and views not get answers.

This is an example of YouTubers specifically acting aggressively and antagonistic towards the family members in this case because they feel Baylee is responsible. I can see why Baylee doesn’t want to speak to them and I am glad Marisa spoke to her because she is so professional and responsible.

In many of the WS cases, the male was under the influence and was likely a cause of falling in the water, whether on purpose or accidently.

Someone (and I can't recall if it was at WS), suggested that the sounds of the water reminds the inebriated person that they need to urinate. Perhaps in the act of trying to urinate in the water, they slip off the banks and into the cold water.

I am a woman, but I can say that when I am drunk, I feel that the air near bigger water (river, lake, pond etc.) seems to be more 'fresh' and helps to clear your head. Somehow breathing seems to be easier and nicer.
That was always my feeling, but maybe more people feel similarly and this is why they are drawn to the water?

Also, in my country there were some cases when men fell into the water in darkness of the night by accident - because in the darkness they propably did not see the end of the river bank. Or they tried to find a shortcut through some trees and did not notice the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member