NE - Eight killed, 4 injured in Westroads Mall shooting, Omaha, 5 Dec 2007

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Not sure I understand exactly what you're saying, but if you mean is it going to invite 'certain people' to try and circumvent or outsmart the metal detectors, then yes I think that would invite such people. But I do not think that the placement of metal detectors in itself would make the problem bigger.

I apologize for not being clear in how i stated that..
What i meant was not that it would invite people in; would it psychologically affect people in that crime is expected of them. For example, if metal detectors were installed in say, a school were crime wasn't rampant; would it affect certain children on the threshold of becoming criminals into thinking the school is not safe anyway so they would have more crime (not necessarily related to people and weapons). Almost like stereotypes of people work; would having metal detectors in an area stereotype it as unsafe, and attract people such as wannabe gangsters (i say wannabe gangsters, as some kids think it is cool and follow stereotypes of the subculture (when they are not in real gangs); so would metal detectors enhance that?) and thieves. I'm not really sure if i still explained it well, it's hard for me to explain..
I believe that metal detectors deter people from bringing weapons into places and are for them where they are needed.

What i meant was not that it would invite people in; would it psychologically affect people in that crime is expected of them. For example, if metal detectors were installed in say, a school were crime wasn't rampant; would it affect certain children on the threshold of becoming criminals into thinking the school is not safe anyway so they would have more crime (not necessarily related to people and weapons). Almost like stereotypes of people work; would having metal detectors in an area stereotype it as unsafe, and attract people such as wannabe gangsters (i say wannabe gangsters, as some kids think it is cool and follow stereotypes of the subculture (when they are not in real gangs); so would metal detectors enhance that?) and thieves.

The answer is no. When metal detectors were installed at the Alameda County Fair Grounds, the gang members stopped coming. Previously, they were very visible on the Fourth of July in their different color combinations and baggy clothes. It's been an extremely effective deterrent to crime.

What i meant was not that it would invite people in; would it psychologically affect people in that crime is expected of them. For example, if metal detectors were installed in say, a school were crime wasn't rampant; would it affect certain children on the threshold of becoming criminals into thinking the school is not safe anyway so they would have more crime (not necessarily related to people and weapons). Almost like stereotypes of people work; would having metal detectors in an area stereotype it as unsafe, and attract people such as wannabe gangsters (i say wannabe gangsters, as some kids think it is cool and follow stereotypes of the subculture (when they are not in real gangs); so would metal detectors enhance that?) and thieves. I'm not really sure if i still explained it well, it's hard for me to explain..
I believe that metal detectors deter people from bringing weapons into places and are for them where they are needed.

Oh okay, I think I gotcha now... lol. :)

I can only give my personal opinion.... and that is I'm thinking no, it wouldn't do that. Just based on my gut feeling, really. I agree with what you believe (I bolded that part).

I'm amazed out how little I have heard about this shooting since it happened.

Maybe they are trying to keep these things out of the news, and maybe that's good.

I never saw a list of the victims. Sorry to hear it was someone you knew, Maral. It's just the senselessness, the preventabilty, the shock, finality, unfairness and cruelty of it all that just "knocks me for a loop". Families ruined forever. It just hits too close to home for me.

I'm amazed out how little I have heard about this shooting since it happened.

Maybe they are trying to keep these things out of the news, and maybe that's good.

I never saw a list of the victims. Sorry to hear it was someone you knew, Maral. It's just the senselessness, the preventabilty, the shock, finality, unfairness and cruelty of it all that just "knocks me for a loop". Families ruined forever. It just hits too close to home for me.

In post #112, Beyond Belief posts a link with pictures and brief bios of all the victims, Marthatex. So very very sad.

ID has done a story on the shooter and the family. How the shooter got to this point. He was put in psych ward care bw 4-6 years old😥 And then in and out his whole life... google the name Robert Hawkins Omaha Mall Shooting... its a sad story of parents who did the best they thought they could with a kid that was deeply disturbed. Insurance ran out at one point so he had to be released from psych care and so the dad and step mom even got a divorce so he could come home because he hated stepmom so much! But something so little such as being fired from mcdonalds and breaking up with his girlfriend was the triggering needed for someone already this sick🤷*♀️😞 as far as the gun goes where he lived knew how disturbed he was and knew it should have been put up better because of that!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dr J
Back