NE NE - Jason Jolkowski, 19, Omaha, 13 June 2001 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This case has always bothered me. I can't come up with a single theory that makes sense. I've followed a lot of cases and usually I can come up with my own theory. On this case I am stumped. My heart hurts so much for Jason's family. I really thought they would have answers by now. They really deserve them.

Does anyone think this case will never be solved?

Sixteen years later and we're no closer to knowing what happened to Jason. No witnesses, no clues, no leads, no suspects, and a victim without the usual risk factors. It's just such a baffling case.

I follow a few of these cases closely from around the same time period (early-mid 2000s) and it's crazy to me how most of them just go completely dead. Is it because the police are no longer interested in it because of no new leads? are these cases just dead cold cases now? Where are the family, friends, and relatives on these cases that would keep them alive and relevant?

When you do a google search on anything related to Jason, or Brian Shaffer, Andrew Gosden, Asha Degree, etc there is almost NOTHING recent that comes up on them. The last active links or discussions apart from here and the odd one on reddit are from like 2009 or something, even older in Jason's case.

I'm not on social media myself so i don't know how in depth these cases are discussed there but it seems to me like only a select few (Maura Murray, Madeline Mccann) retain the interest of people and are continually researched and talked about in depth.

I follow a few of these cases closely from around the same time period (early-mid 2000s) and it's crazy to me how most of them just go completely dead. Is it because the police are no longer interested in it because of no new leads? are these cases just dead cold cases now? Where are the family, friends, and relatives on these cases that would keep them alive and relevant?

When you do a google search on anything related to Jason, or Brian Shaffer, Andrew Gosden, Asha Degree, etc there is almost NOTHING recent that comes up on them. The last active links or discussions apart from here and the odd one on reddit are from like 2009 or something, even older in Jason's case.

I'm not on social media myself so i don't know how in depth these cases are discussed there but it seems to me like only a select few (Maura Murray, Madeline Mccann) retain the interest of people and are continually researched and talked about in depth.
Unfortunately no new leads is a pretty good reason for a case to go cold. I agree that it's sad, but why continue to beat a dead horse with nothing new coming from it? As fun as it is to speculate about these cases, the sad truth of it is that unless someone comes forward or makes a confession then there probably won't be anything to go further on. Being that some of these cases are quite old, there's a good chance that if nobody has come forward now then it may never happen at all. I saw on Facebook that some pages posted about Brian last month for his disappearance anniversary, and there were a couple of people that seemed generally interested in the case. Unfortunately, again, it will all just be "maybes" and speculation. The only thing I can maybe see with Brian's case being helpful is to put some pressure on Clint Florence. Jason's case, however, leads to dead ends.

The saddest part is that if Jason was killed by someone in the area and disposed of, there's a fairly decent chance that his remains could be pretty close by, albeit hidden or buried. I mean how many missing person cases have there been where the victim's remains ended up being found less than a mile or so from their home? Quite a lot.

I still can't be convinced that Samuel Sherman even existed until any further info is released about him. That obviously won't be happening. Either he was never real or he was (in my own belief) just a nomad who left town on his own. If he was indeed a real person who was abducted then I truly do feel bad for him because the lack of attention on his case is really sad. An address wasn't even provided, so even if he was just couch crashing, there's no way to look up who he was actually staying with and who reported him missing. To me that just reeks of a red herring.

That's the thing, it could totally be a red herring but without more information we simply don't know. I have no reason to doubt Samuel Sherman's existence. It's a matter of whether he was a genuine misper or, like you said, a drifter. However, the LE should surely have something on file. Freedom of Information act, anyone?

That's the thing, it could totally be a red herring but without more information we simply don't know. I have no reason to doubt Samuel Sherman's existence. It's a matter of whether he was a genuine misper or, like you said, a drifter. However, the LE should surely have something on file. Freedom of Information act, anyone?
Another thing that bothers me about the Sherman case is that while there is no picture or address whatsoever, we are still given his height and weight. Somebody obviously had to give that information to the police, and I can only assume it was the same person that reported him missing, since nobody else in the world seems to be looking for him. I don't think that person is even looking for him either. How do we even know SS was 19? Or that he went to this job interview at all? I'm tempted to just message the Sam Sherman on Facebook that lives in Omaha and ask if it's him haha

To my understanding since i followed this case for 2 years is that either someone from the neighbourhood or the restaurent JJ was working at was responsible for his disappearance. The only people that knew of his new time scheduale and where he was heading to was his co workers/manager and i find it slightly strange how the manager called back JJ and insisted him instead of walking to take the ride with the co worker, maybe is nothing. Also since there were a lot of sex offenders around his neighbourhood maybe one predator monitered his move for weeks and knew Jason did not have his car with him and thought it would be the perfect time to lure him with maybe "help me with the rubbish" or something, probably did the same thing to Samuel Sherman (if he existed), because both Samuel and Jason case are very very similair it eeks me. And also another shivering similarity between the two is that both have the same initials. And the fact that both disappeared while going to work leads me to believe that Fazioli had something to do with their disappearance but if we only knew what job Samuel was being interviewed.

Another thing that bothers me about the Sherman case is that while there is no picture or address whatsoever, we are still given his height and weight. Somebody obviously had to give that information to the police, and I can only assume it was the same person that reported him missing, since nobody else in the world seems to be looking for him. I don't think that person is even looking for him either. How do we even know SS was 19? Or that he went to this job interview at all? I'm tempted to just message the Sam Sherman on Facebook that lives in Omaha and ask if it's him haha

Did you get the chance to message him?

Did you get the chance to message him?
No, after looking at the profile and who they're friends with, I believe it's an older man who doesn't seem to even use it. The fact that there's no picture also makes me think it's an old guy. I figured that's not enough just cause to look creepy lol

Eh, the people he was staying with could've given the authorities a rough estimate of his height/weight.

Sixteen long years. Where are you, Jason? You have not been forgotten!

Thinking of Jason's family on this horrible anniversary.

Hello. I recently started investigating through internet several missing persons cases and this is one of the most bizzare and difficult cases i've met (due to the lack of any shred of evidence). From what I' ve read on Jason's case only 2 scenarios seem plausible:

1) Criminal activity. Α serial killer or kidnappers. If it was a serial killer he probably had the experience to carry out his crime with scientific accuracy, knowing how to lure someone into his car or residence and then dispose the body without leaving traces. If it was an abduction case then the abductors could have led Jason to their vehicle threatening him with a gun. They may had no intention to kill him initially but this could happen accidentaly in the ensuing fight with Jason or during their try to gag him (asphyxiation). Then they could easily move the body away from the area and hide it in a very remote place making it extremely difficult to locate it.

2) Death by accident inside a house nearby and cover-up. If this is the case i have thought of some realistic scenarios which I'm going to share.
a) Perhaps during his walk to the school someone invited him in his house to assist him with some technical work. Jason could have died there somehow (e.g. hit by electricity, falling from a ladder etc) and the owner hide the body in his cellar (or somewhere in his property) to avoid legal consequences.

b) While Jason was walking towards the meeting point with his co-worker he had a fight with other teenagers from a nearby house. Maybe they mocked him or insulted him for some reason (prank) and Jason being infuriated entered their yard/garden to respond. During the fight Jason was accidentaly killed (e.g. wounded by a knife and severe bleeding, a blow on the head which could lead to tongue swallowing and death if not given the appropriate first aid). The panicked teenagers hide temporarily the body in the house (if the fight took place behind a fence it could not be seen by neighbours) and later their parents (they may were at their job during the fight which took place in the morning of course) assisted furthermore with the body disposal. It is not impossible for parents to participate in covering a fatal accident caused by their children in order to save them from imprisonment. Their love for their children prevails over their remorse for a stranger victim even if he is also the child of other parents.
About the last scenario we had a case here in Greece where a child was accidentaly killed by other children of 11-13 years old after bullying and the authorities convicted not only the children but some of their parents and a grandfather who seemed to cover up things. The body has yet to be found
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/5222512.stm
So it's not impossible for parents to cover and even support criminal actions of their children.

I just wonder if police has searched all the houses from Jason's house to the Benson High School. Did they have warrant to investigate inside the houses? Also, they should check which of the householders between Jason house and the Benson High Scool owns further properties (country houses, farms, fields etc). Another case we had in Greece was that of a teenager who had been murdered by his mother and stepfather and eventually his body was found buried in the stepfather's farm. So, secondary properties may seem important if there are any suspects in Jason's neighbourhood.

Of course I am not an expert and my scenarios may have already been investigated thorougly by police. I just want the case to be solved as any other missing person case and the families of missing people to find peace. But because police investigators are humans and humans make mistakes or may miss something that another person brings to attention, I think that any alternative or uncommon theory on Jason's case must be presented and taken into consideration.

Hello. I recently started investigating through internet several missing persons cases and this is one of the most bizzare and difficult cases i've met (due to the lack of any shred of evidence). From what I' ve read on Jason's case only 2 scenarios seem plausible:

1) Criminal activity. Α serial killer or kidnappers. If it was a serial killer he probably had the experience to carry out his crime with scientific accuracy, knowing how to lure someone into his car or residence and then dispose the body without leaving traces. If it was an abduction case then the abductors could have led Jason to their vehicle threatening him with a gun. They may had no intention to kill him initially but this could happen accidentaly in the ensuing fight with Jason or during their try to gag him (asphyxiation). Then they could easily move the body away from the area and hide it in a very remote place making it extremely difficult to locate it.

2) Death by accident inside a house nearby and cover-up. If this is the case i have thought of some realistic scenarios which I'm going to share.
a) Perhaps during his walk to the school someone invited him in his house to assist him with some technical work. Jason could have died there somehow (e.g. hit by electricity, falling from a ladder etc) and the owner hide the body in his cellar (or somewhere in his property) to avoid legal consequences.

b) While Jason was walking towards the meeting point with his co-worker he had a fight with other teenagers from a nearby house. Maybe they mocked him or insulted him for some reason (prank) and Jason being infuriated entered their yard/garden to respond. During the fight Jason was accidentaly killed (e.g. wounded by a knife and severe bleeding, a blow on the head which could lead to tongue swallowing and death if not given the appropriate first aid). The panicked teenagers hide temporarily the body in the house (if the fight took place behind a fence it could not be seen by neighbours) and later their parents (they may were at their job during the fight which took place in the morning of course) assisted furthermore with the body disposal. It is not impossible for parents to participate in covering a fatal accident caused by their children in order to save them from imprisonment. Their love for their children prevails over their remorse for a stranger victim even if he is also the child of other parents.
About the last scenario we had a case here in Greece where a child was accidentaly killed by other children of 11-13 years old after bullying and the authorities convicted not only the children but some of their parents and a grandfather who seemed to cover up things. The body has yet to be found
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/5222512.stm
So it's not impossible for parents to cover and even support criminal actions of their children.

I just wonder if police has searched all the houses from Jason's house to the Benson High School. Did they have warrant to investigate inside the houses? Also, they should check which of the householders between Jason house and the Benson High Scool owns further properties (country houses, farms, fields etc). Another case we had in Greece was that of a teenager who had been murdered by his mother and stepfather and eventually his body was found buried in the stepfather's farm. So, secondary properties may seem important if there are any suspects in Jason's neighbourhood.

Of course I am not an expert and my scenarios may have already been investigated thorougly by police. I just want the case to be solved as any other missing person case and the families of missing people to find peace. But because police investigators are humans and humans make mistakes or may miss something that another person brings to attention, I think that any alternative or uncommon theory on Jason's case must be presented and taken into consideration.

Welcome to Ws Jim1981_GR!
Thanks for the fabulous 1st post here, you suggested a couple of intriguing scenarios, like neighbourhood parents covering up an accident/crime!

Thank you for your warm welcome

In addition to my last theories I would like to express a few more points and questions which could shed some light on the case.

I was thinking of another approach, that is not beginning from what happened to Jason but who would have the strongest motive or will to hide the body and at the same time the opportunity or time to do it effectively. In other words it’s a combination of the psychological factor and the convenience factor.

I bring these factors to the discussion taking for granted that the absence of physical evidence on Jason’s case means that whoever is responsible for his disappearance had enough time (or good opportunity) and very strong motive/will to make his body disappear. It would be someone whose future life would be destroyed if Jason’s body would be discovered.

The answer to the above questions may point to the highest candidate for Jason’s vanishing, at least according to the possibilities and therefore to what may happened.

So…let’s start asking.

Would a driver who accidentally hit Jason with his vehicle had the strongest motive/ will and the best opportunity to hide his body? He may had the motive but certainly not the opportunity/convenience/time to do it because of the broad daylight and the residential area where the incident happened.

Would a gang of teenagers or criminals who attacked Jason in his route to school had the strong motive and the opportunity to hide the body? Maybe they had the motive but certainly not the opportunity for the same reasons. After all it is unusual for a gang to roam the streets so early in the morning and so close to occupied houses where plenty of witnesses would notice the commotion.

Would some abductors with a van or a serial killer fulfill the aforementioned factors? We could say yes about the first factor but there are the same problems with the second one. It is not safe for the abductors to act in broad daylight in the streets of a residential area, let alone that their van could be identified. The same goes for a serial killer. It would be too risky to attack his victim at that area and at that specific time.

Even if they threatened him with a gun, the risk of being noticed by residents would be high. And also, concerning the serial killers, we know that not all of them want to dispose of the bodies of their victims. On the contrary they sometimes expose them in order to gain notoriety. These 2 kinds of perpetrators would probably chose their victim in another area (remote or less occupied) and later during the day (perhaps at night)

So if the above candidates do not fulfill the psychological-convenience factors is there another candidate who could fulfill both? I think yes and again we return to the scenario of Jason dying in a house of an ordinary/normal occupant located on his route to Benson High School, probably by accident and subsequent cover-up. If he died accidentally in a house of the neighborhood, the occupant has both the opportunity/time and the motive/will to hide the body.

If a family would be destroyed by a death of a person in their house due to their fault (or their children’s fault) they had a strong motive to hide the body. And because the incident would have happened behind the walls of their house they would have plenty of time to make a meticulous plan for the body disposal and of course there are no witnesses when you are safe behind your walls.

So following this method of thinking it seems more likely that Jason’s disappearance is related to a normal neighbor/resident/family that just happened to be involved in a difficult situation with Jason and they were forced to weigh difficult decisions about what to do with him and they eventually chose something bad for Jason’s family but which would permit them to continue their lives without legal consequences.

Of course a psychopath/maniac/serial killer/sex offender could be responsible but he would probably reside there, not roaming with his car. In any case it seems to me more logical that the culprit is located in one of the houses from Jason’s house to Benson High School.

This conclusion raises some important questions which should be answered such as...could the occupation of some residents in the area of interest (from Jason house to Benson High School) facilitate the body disposal and the whole cover-up procedure?

For example, is someone police officer who could easily be beyond suspicion even if he has a gun in his house? Is someone a truck driver who could hide the body in his load and transport it far away? Does someone work in a crematorium of a cemetery or church, something that would permit him to burn the body with other bodies without being noticed and suspected? Do someone drive an excavator and could throw Jason’s body in a remote construction site deep under debris and cement? In general, what are the most suspicious occupations that could facilitate the hiding and disposal of a body in the area where Jason was last seen?

Sorry for the long post but I think that different approaches may be useful sometimes.
I’ll come back whenever I have other ideas.

PS. Three different questions that have nothing to do with the above analysis but I believe is important to be answered and investigated (if not until now) are:

1) Jason was last seen by a neighbor taking the trash cans to the garage. But was he seen exiting the garage or his home in general? Perhaps someone was already hidden in his property and grabbed him inside a vehicle. Has the police checked this scenario?
2) Jason would be hired in a new job as a DJ. Would he replace someone that would not be so happy by this change?
3) Did Jason have a fight with other people the previous days? Perhaps some people wished revenge for some reason.

If someone was targeting Jason (as opposed to an opportunistic abduction), they may have been waiting outside his house on trash day for him to get the garbage cans and take them back inside.

Someone familiar with his movements may have seen this as a great opportunity. Someone who knew he was off that day, that he did not have a vehicle and that he would go outside to get the garbage cans.

It could have been some peripheral character in his life who was never investigated. Fazoli's staff have often been brought up but we have no solid evidence or motive, especially given the amount of time he spent with them. Perhaps a church member or someone who worked at the body shop took an interest in him.

One would think one would notice an extra hundred or so pounds in their empty trash bin?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120AZ using Tapatalk

One would think one would notice an extra hundred or so pounds in their empty trash bin?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120AZ using Tapatalk

I don't follow. I didn't mean anyone was hiding in the trash cans. I imagine they'd be sitting in a car across the street.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95