NE - Omaha Double Murder #3 - *Arrest Made*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
A homosexual angle? Why Shirlee? Wouldn't Dr. Hunter have been much more protective, especially if he sensed insane, murderous pedophilia? Tom would have had to make someone noticeably angry.

My humble opinion...

A homosexual angle? Why Shirlee? Wouldn't Dr. Hunter have been much more protective, especially if he sensed insane, murderous pedophilia? Tom would have had to make someone noticeably angry.

My humble opinion...

And it's a perfectly valid one. Shirlee IMO may have been taken out simply because she was there, I believe she was there at a different time than usual and maybe the intruder meant to see Tom. Dr H might not have sensed anything about such a person, and may not even have been aware of his interest in Tom, Tom for that matter may not have been aware of the interest either. It's easy to imagine someone following them home from the Y and making note of where they lived.

My uderstanding is that Shirlee was attacked from behind and possibly by surprise. Not sure how this fact fits in...

No idea of the validity of any of this, but there's an unusual amount of focus on Omaha/Western Iowa in terms of various pedophile ring discussions:

http://youtu.be/NYfPSzwJG04

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=omaha+pedophile&oq=omaha+pedophile

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=104x3450057

it all seems rather far-fetched, but, then again, why the focus on Omaha for these sort of sordid tales? when Snick mentioned downtown Omaha + potential for a pedophile angle, I recalled seeing these a few years back.

yuck.

I didn't click on the links Saint, however if the youtube videos are what I think they are, Idk how much credit I put into them. The ones I am referring to consist of a man walking around in the Old Market area of Omaha and pointing out places that supposedly contained some sketchy things, he even goes to Hummel Park in N.Omaha. I'm not saying those things did not happen, I just do not have enough information or evidennce.

I didn't click on the links Saint, however if the youtube videos are what I think they are, Idk how much credit I put into them. The ones I am referring to consist of a man walking around in the Old Market area of Omaha and pointing out places that supposedly contained some sketchy things, he even goes to Hummel Park in N.Omaha. I'm not saying those things did not happen, I just do not have enough information or evidennce.

Which brings us back to the Franklin Credit Union scandal in the late 80's. The former head of that financial institution was accused of running a pedophile ring, and worse and the scandal and accusations led to some very high places in Omaha. It has been largely debunked but I have to say from my past viewpoint as a social services worker here, some of it may have been true.

I am aware of the video where the guy is walking around the Old market area whispering about satanic abuse, etc. Someone a couple years back on one of our threads also posted a link to this. I wouldn't throw it aside, but I'd be careful of giving it too much credence.

It occurs to me that the Hunters and many at CU socialized in circles that included some of the same sorts of people. Please note I am not suggesting any involvement on their part but- in the previous scandal, many accused were people of wealth and success in Omaha.

I've always thought this case could have sexual undertones. Tom could have easily been duped into something by an older man and then threatened to expose him to his parents or the authorities. To me, this seemed like a preplanned murder of vengeance or fear of exposure to the community.

I've also thought the murderer could have been someone from right there in the neighborhood.

I hate that a murder in broad daylight in a residential area in one of the best sections of town remains unsolved after over four years.

Today Thomas would have turned 16.

I think about how sweet summertime is for a 16 year old boy in Omaha - hanging out with friends, playing basketball at the schoolyard, walking up to eCreamery for some ice cream, swimming at the pool, and getting your driver's license! Experiencing the freedom of a young teen - borrowing the family car, and getting your first summer job. Earning enough money to go to the movies or the pizza place at Aksarben with your buddies. Beautiful, warm summer nights. Watching the fireworks at Memorial.

People are out and about all over the Dundee neighborhood, enjoying the long evenings. How I wish that Thomas was among them! This would have been an awesome summer for him.

“When he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night
And pay no worship to the garish sun.”

― William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

Our hearts and prayers today are with Tom's family on this bittersweet anniversary. May God bless them and grant justice for the innocent victims.

Skywalker,
My heart hurt when I read your post until I remembered that Thomas had an even better birthday right where he is. Probably had cake with Shirlee...

Shakespeare is a bit more eloquent! I reread Snick's quote. How beautiful.

I ran across this news account from 2-11 that had some things I hadn't noticed- or realized the importance of- before:

http://globaltvcalgary.farm2.smdg.c...+former+calgary+pathologist/283368/story.html

Note the part where local authorities were concerned enough about the security of persons he worked with following his firing that they had security experts check out their homes. That to me speaks volumes about him and that they considered him dangerous and inclined to retaliation.

I wonder where he is today?

Obviously LE had concerns about this guy themselves.

Hmmmmm, .......... COULD have been revenge.

JMHO
fran

MB is a bizarre and disturbed individual, the odds seem LOW that the family would cross paths with an entirely different psycho.

It sure seems that the authorities are on to him, but because of his (alleged) profession, he is particularly good at hiding evidence.

MB is a bizarre and disturbed individual, the odds seem LOW that the family would cross paths with an entirely different psycho.

It sure seems that the authorities are on to him, but because of his (alleged) profession, he is particularly good at hiding evidence.

Exactly. How many psychopaths would the Hunters have encountered in their lives? Tom probably knew him as one of his father's residents and when he came knocking that day would probably have let him in. Maybe he said he had something to leave for Dr Hunter to sign- who knows. MB is perhaps one of those people who delight in proving to themselves how they can outsmart others. Going to the home of the head of Pathology and getting away with murder woould be a heady accomplishment to that sort of mentality.

I have the feeling LE lost their chance to get this guy. If I were in LE I'd be following up on any murders taking place in areas where he's lived in the past.

Perhaps it is because he was under suspicion in Nebraska AND PERHAPS THEY KNOW MORE THAN THEY LET US KNOW, that LE feared for his colleagues. Something will eventually catch up with this guy. He'll resurface somewhere, probably as a pathologist,
and commit more errors. I just wish medical schools and pathology departments could be warned.

Perhaps it is because he was under suspicion in Nebraska AND PERHAPS THEY KNOW MORE THAN THEY LET US KNOW, that LE feared for his colleagues. Something will eventually catch up with this guy. He'll resurface somewhere, probably as a pathologist,
and commit more errors. I just wish medical schools and pathology departments could be warned.

Let's just hope if he indeed is the perp that he doesn't kill again before he is caught. My thinking about this case has more or less settled on him, but.. I still have a nagging feeling that this may have been a hired hit, paid for by someone close to the Hunter family or at least to one of the boy's parents.

WOWT here in Omaha is headlining a story they will run on this evenings newscast about this case. I plan to view and then post the gist of what was said- if the past is any indication their website will also carry a story and I will link to that.

The blurb for the story said that OPD is 'going nationwide' so I assume this means they are at long last allowing AMW or Nancy Grace to air a segment on it. This, if so, is wonderful news although it's about three years late. Update later this evening.

http://www.omaha.com/article/201207...st-wanted-to-air-show-on-2008-dundee-slayings

This story just posted on Omaha World Herald website.

Update- I just saw the news story, it lead off the newscast. The segment will air at 8PM CDT on Lifetime the evening of 8-3. Interviews will air with Shirlee's family and apparently with Dr Hunter. The story will apparently reveal some facts not previously released. One concerns Tom's internet presence and someone he was chatting with in the days prior to the murders. More details will air on the license plate seen by wittnesses. It sounds as if the internet angle is where they are going. It sounds like they plan to put out the screen name of the person he was chatting with. I think WOWT will post the segment on theirn site so I will check and link to it tommorrow.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peachesisjenny
Back