NE - Omaha Double Murder #3 - *Arrest Made*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Could CU Pathology staff have been pushing some boundaries in the stem cell research area? Dr Brumback was researching in some fields where this is used. I can see in today's charged atmosphere someone playing God and passing judgment on him- and maybe on Dr Hunter's family as well.

I would think that if this were the case, they would mention it in their bios / press / journals. Haven't seen anything. Also, remember that this was a Jesuit institution, and unlikely to be doing anything too crazy.

http://medschool.creighton.edu/somfaculty/brumback/contact/index.php
http://medschool.creighton.edu/somfaculty/hunter/about/index.php
http://medschool.creighton.edu/medicine/departments/pathology/home/facultypublications/index.php

I would think that if this were the case, they would mention it in their bios / press / journals. Haven't seen anything. Also, remember that this was a Jesuit institution, and unlikely to be doing anything too crazy.

No stem cell research at Creighton that I am aware of.

Article on omaha.com concerning extra security for staff..and I can confirm no stem cell research at CU.

Breaking: 10 AM Monday OPD chief will hold press conference in regards to this.

Haven't been here in a while, I am glad I checked back. Thanks for the links.

Hi Amazing Websleuthers,

Just began to read these posts. A shocking and inexplicable murder here in Omaha.

Matilda - I can take a drive around the neighborhood this week and report back with an idea of what the neighborhood is like.

Purely residential street, no commercial businesses, stores etc. I doubt any of the homes have security cameras, but cannot be sure.

Distance between Hunters and Brumbacks is 6-10 miles, crossing very busy commercial areas. I think Andersons were very close to Hunters, so pretty much same distance to Brumbacks.

May I ask regarding the Andersons'? Are they another family linking to this as well? Thanks.

May I ask regarding the Andersons'? Are they another family linking to this as well? Thanks.

Not that I know. They were not connected with Creighton or the department of pathology. As I recall, the only reason their case was discussed here is that they lived in the same part of town as the Hunters, and Anderson was also a doctor, but with no known connection to these cases (again, as far as I know).

Hi Amazing Websleuthers,

Just began to read these posts. A shocking and inexplicable murder here in Omaha.

Matilda - I can take a drive around the neighborhood this week and report back with an idea of what the neighborhood is like.

Welcome to the discussion, WithMyLittleEye! It would be great if you take a ride thru the neighborhood and report back to us. It looks like a nice neighborhood, hopefully some of the homes have surveillence cameras that captured something useful.

The Anderson's are not connected to this case. They died after Tom and Shirlee were killed but I can't recall how long. Some sleuths thought there may be a connection until it was ruled a murder/ suicide (the family disagreed that it was M/S). They were leaving on vacation the following day and Dr Anderson went to withdraw money from an ATM. JMO but it doesn't sound like someone who would commit M/S. The Anderson's automobile was stolen the day/night after they died. IIRC, Dr Anderson worked at University of Nebraska but I may be mistaken since alot of time has passed and details are sketchy in my memory.

Glad to have you on board!

Omaha's police chief will talk Monday with some Creighton University faculty members about their security concerns after the unsolved murders last week of a pathology professor and his wife.

Chief Todd Schmaderer also will make his first public comments about the homicides at 1 p.m. Monday. Follow Omaha.com for the latest as details become available.

Dr. Poonam Sharma, chairwoman of pathology, said Saturday she invited Schmaderer to address concerned members of the Creighton community, and he agreed to do so.

http://www.omaha.com/article/201305...ides-meet-with-creighton-staff-about-security

Watching the Live conference right now. No major leads are being released just that the OPD has formed a task force and are currently trying to see if the Shirlee and Thomas homicide case to the Brumback homicide are connected. They are saying that the major connection that everyone obviously knows about is the Creighton connection, any other connects are not being released. Is anyone else having a hard time posting on websleuths or even accessing the website?

http://www.ketv.com/news/local-news...cide/-/9674510/20205700/-/s5k4ad/-/index.html

Edited to post the link

From the information I have learned, and from personal contact with some detectives of various agencies, veteran detectives have been moved around. I can not show my hand as this may put in jeopardy the investigation.
I can also promise you the detectives are veterans and have a vast array of experience.
I am now more confident than ever this case will be solved. Detectives day and night, are working this. I will not be posting any details to this investigation. Just please understand, I am more confident than ever not only will this homicide be solved, but as will the 2008 one.
Justice will prevail.

Watching the Live conference right now. No major leads are being released just that the OPD has formed a task force and are currently trying to see if the Shirlee and Thomas homicide case to the Brumback homicide are connected. They are saying that the major connection that everyone obviously knows about is the Creighton connection, any other connects are not being released. Is anyone else having a hard time posting on websleuths or even accessing the website?

http://www.ketv.com/news/local-news...cide/-/9674510/20205700/-/s5k4ad/-/index.html

Edited to post the link
They have leads, but that would jeopardize the investigation.

Welcome to the discussion, WithMyLittleEye! It would be great if you take a ride thru the neighborhood and report back to us. It looks like a nice neighborhood, hopefully some of the homes have surveillence cameras that captured something useful.

The Anderson's are not connected to this case. They died after Tom and Shirlee were killed but I can't recall how long. Some sleuths thought there may be a connection until it was ruled a murder/ suicide (the family disagreed that it was M/S). They were leaving on vacation the following day and Dr Anderson went to withdraw money from an ATM. JMO but it doesn't sound like someone who would commit M/S. The Anderson's automobile was stolen the day/night after they died. IIRC, Dr Anderson worked at University of Nebraska but I may be mistaken since alot of time has passed and details are sketchy in my memory.

Glad to have you on board!
http://www.1011now.com/home/headlines/42191832.html#.UZrTfyt34UY

Thanks much for the link to the Anderson's deaths, nick12.

I was incorrect about where Dr Anderson worked. He worked for the state of NE, NOT at University of NE. JUst wanted to clear that up.

Is it common for a killer to use a weapon like a knife in one killing and then use a gun for the second? I ask only because the killing of Thomas was so brutal and personal, and I have to wonder if they are connected, because of the change in weapons. Thomas's murder from what I read feels like a lot of rage going on with the killer towards Thomas. I hope they solve these crimes soon.

HI Skully! LE hasn't confirmed how the Brumbacks were killed. All we know is that a gun clip was found at the door. I wish a reporter had asked the chief if they had determined if the clip belonged to the perp or the Brumbacks. Something happened at the front door by it being found at the threshold.

There were a couple of things that stood out to me at the presser. The chief mentioned public safety is a top priority several times. 1) He advised the public to be aware of their surroundings and to call 911 if any suspicious or unfamiliar vehicles were spotted in their neighborhood. 2) When asked why the FBI was brought in, he responded that the FBI has resourses that OPD doesn't have including international resourses.

Chief did a good job on the presser. Keeping things very close to the vest. There should be a link on this thread or the other one. Take a look when you have time and see what you glean/ infer from it. Glad to 'see' you again!

Hi WM,

I just saw the presser and I get the same impression that he is looking beyond Omaha. I find it odd that the killer didn't pick up that clip. You know it has to have prints on it, if it was accidently left behind. I remember a guy we all were looking at a Russian, for the Hunter killings. Do you think he is one of the top POI's.

Glad to be back, just sad this got another family. :banghead:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kr1230
Back