NE NE - Ryan Larsen, 11, with autism, La Vista, 17 May 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Unfortunately, I think this is the most likely scenario, especially now that they told us his umbrella was found by the dumpster.

I wouldn't be that sure. One of the autism features is hypersensitivity for certain stimuli. This varies from person to person but most of the autistic people are hypersensitive in the smell department. Dumpsters stink. A lot. I don't think many of autistic people would choose such smelly object as their hiding place. And there is also issue of touch hypersensitivity, as the dumpster contents can be extremely unpleasant to touch. So, nope, I don't think the hypothesis Ryan hid in the dumpster is very probable.

Huh? On Tuesday, his sister, TL, stated the following:

Many of you have probably heard that Ryan’s umbrella was found. The police are not disclosing where it was found specifically in the apartment complex.

https://www.3newsnow.com/news/local-news/ryan-larsens-sister-provides-an-update-for-the-public

Ryan Larsen hasn't been seen since May 17. A resident of the Larsen's apartment complex found an umbrella that belonged to the boy near a dumpster.

New development in case of missing Nebraska child is brought with skepticism

I wouldn't be that sure. One of the autism features is hypersensitivity for certain stimuli. This varies from person to person but most of the autistic people are hypersensitive in the smell department. Dumpsters stink. A lot. I don't think many of autistic people would choose such smelly object as their hiding place. And there is also issue of touch hypersensitivity, as the dumpster contents can be extremely unpleasant to touch. So, nope, I don't think the hypothesis Ryan hid in the dumpster is very probable.

You could be right, but maybe the fact that he has HFA could be the reason why the effects induced by the smell could be abated.

You could be right, but maybe the fact that he has HFA could be the reason why the effects induced by the smell could be abated.

No. Autism does not work like this. All the autistic people are prone to sensory overload and therefore are hypersensitive, what differs from person to person are exact triggers (one person hates high pitched noises, another, like me, cannot stand any slurping sounds, for example) and how well we can handle the sensory overload. I am what you can call a high functioning autistic person (though I dislike that description), but I still am supersensitive and I would not be able to spend more than five minutes in a place smelling as strong as a dumpster during a warm, late spring day. Each autistic person is different though so maybe Ryan's smell sensitivity wasn't that big.

No. Autism does not work like this. All the autistic people are prone to sensory overload and therefore are hypersensitive, what differs from person to person are exact triggers (one person hates high pitched noises, another, like me, cannot stand any slurping sounds, for example) and how well we can handle the sensory overload. I am what you can call a high functioning autistic person (though I dislike that description), but I still am supersensitive and I would not be able to spend more than five minutes in a place smelling as strong as a dumpster during a warm, late spring day. Each autistic person is different though so maybe Ryan's smell sensitivity wasn't that big.

I respect your views and insight into autism. As a professional with 45 years as an educator of children and adults on the spectrum, my experience is that those with sensory issues can ALSO be HYPO-sensitive to certain things, smell being one of them. Some of my best friends with autism needed the input of a stronger smell than what we would consider normal. That led them to seek out some items that would seem strange or inappropriate to neurotypical folks. I don’t think we can necessarily rule out that Ryan may have a hypo-sensitivity to some things and a hyper-sensitivity to others.

I respect your views and insight into autism. As a professional with 45 years as an educator of children and adults on the spectrum, my experience is that those with sensory issues can ALSO be HYPO-sensitive to certain things, smell being one of them. Some of my best friends with autism needed the input of a stronger smell than what we would consider normal. That led them to seek out some items that would seem strange or inappropriate to neurotypical folks. I don’t think we can necessarily rule out that Ryan may have a hypo-sensitivity to some things and a hyper-sensitivity to others.

Of course, hyposensitivity is a thing too, you are absolutely correct.

La Vista police create 'Take Me Home' project in response to Ryan Larsen disappearance
Snipped
https://omaha.com/news/local/crime-...cle_c2964d04-0693-11ec-b26d-7ffbb29d0e49.html

RELATED

Few leads one month after 12-year-old La Vista boy's disappearance

Officials continue to work on leads in Ryan’s case, but Lausten said no suspects or persons of interest have been identified. Detectives have filed search warrants to get information from social media websites, he said, and continue to conduct limited searches in certain areas.

It’s a very perplexing case,” Lausten said. “We haven’t gotten any solid information on his whereabouts or what happened to him.”

DNA on umbrella places Ryan Larsen near his La Vista home on day he disappeared

La Vista residents who are interested in the Take Me Home program can register at cityoflavista.org/takemehome.

Several boys around Ryan's age have gone missing along the Interstate-80 corridor over the past 11 months, just based on what I could find on The Center for Missing & Exploited Children's website, a very concerning list that includes Ryan Larsen, Xavior Harrelson and others. I hope I'm totally wrong about it, but it may be a lead.

Several boys around Ryan's age have gone missing along the Interstate-80 corridor over the past 11 months, just based on what I could find on The Center for Missing & Exploited Children's website, a very concerning list that includes Ryan Larsen, Xavior Harrelson and others. I hope I'm totally wrong about it, but it may be a lead.

How close was Xavier to I-80? Are you thinking random snatching or possible planned through some sort of communication? Anything is possible especially with Boys Town here. But I think if we had more information about him from those close to him, we would have better idea of what happened. What was his online pattern? How often did he spend time on the internet. Was he on social media and which ones. What was his disposition when it came to speaking with those he didn’t know well. If he’s autistic, I would think he would be less apt to engage in in-person conversation but more likely to talk to those he didn’t know online. Our son who has been diagnosed as high functioning has zero safety awareness and poor impulse control. He will get into a random truck with someone he doesn’t know and argue with us that he “just knew he wasn’t a bad guy”. So scary. I think it’s possible something much like that could have happened.

In Pursuit with John Walsh” airs this Wednesday on Investigation Discovery and streaming on discovery+, asking anyone with information regarding Ryan's disappearance to call Walsh's hotline at 1-833-3-PURSUE.

After Ryan was last seen at his elementary school on May 17, police began sending search teams throughout the area but have been unable to announce any progress in the case.
Case of missing La Vista boy gets national scrutiny

Larsen family speaks

Family of Ryan Larsen speak publicly - 5 pm

What are the odds that someone who has a history of hiding out for periods of time and recently searched "how to hide from police" was abducted?

I'm not saying it's impossible, just almost...absurd? possibly part of a plan, if he met someone online, that the search would be less intense or given less than 100% urgency if LE thought he might just turn up again. MOO.

I was hoping he'd turn up somewhere, maybe up to a week later. But it's been more than a month now.

I think it also depends how recent the search was and whether it was done before or after he went missing. If it was around that time, there's always the possibility that the search was done by someone else as a false trail upon taking him unless it was specific to a device outsiders wouldn't be able to access

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Morgy1
Back