NE NE - Tyler Goodrich, 35, left his house to go on a run, Lincoln, 3 Nov 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thank you, HuskerGal. Tyler was due to start a marathon on SUN., NOV 5. Check.

My apologies for the linked pizza stuff was incidental and added bc Tyler planned pizza before he arrived home. To Tyler, perhaps he was expecting a perfect evening with pizza, hanging out with their kids and a movie. Only, the oldest child wasn't home so there was only one child, or kid, to use their word choice for child/children.
I can't understand why it's disturbing me so much that the word choice is plural when a single child was home.

We do not know why M called 911. Swartz referenced an argument and said two patrol deputies arrived and stayed half an hour. They never made contact with Tyler.

"Marshall Vogel told Dateline that he and Tyler were discussing their relationship that night. “Things were tough. We -- we both knew that we loved each other very much. It was just maybe our -- maybe our marriage wasn’t supposed to be forever,” he said." -- NBC

Tyler's siblings speak [video]

'We need a break in the case': Tyler Goodrich siblings speak out as investigators hit standstill

It always gets my attention when the statements of a witness don't match known facts and evidence.

Perhaps their disagreement that night began via cell phone call or text, before TG arrived home. Maybe that's when they decided to have a "perfect evening" before breaking up, explaining TG stopping on the way home to pick up pizza.

LE said the disagreement between TG and MV that MV recorded was more of a conversation than an argument. It doesn't sound as though emotions were running high, but that things were calm.

Investigator Schwarz told Dateline that they have a recording that Marshall had taken of the argument that night. “It’s an audio recording of an argument, or I would more describe it as a conversation between Tyler and Marshall,” Schwarz said.

JMO, it sounds like everything was normal until TG ran out of the house.

Last edited:
If TG took his own life his body wouldn't be hidden and most likely found by now unless he drowned. Is there a body of water, a river nearby?

If he died by suicide on the spur of the moment running away what weapon did he use. If no weapon then hanging could be done with clothing. Then again his body would not be hidden.

I mean no disrespect I am just thinking logically. I'm leaning toward misadventure or someone killed him.

Here's a thought. What if he was a victim of a hit and run and his body is near a road covered by vegetation or at the bottom of an embankment.

Just trying to come up with a plausible scenario.

If TG took his own life his body wouldn't be hidden and most likely found by now unless he drowned. Is there a body of water, a river nearby?

If he died by suicide on the spur of the moment running away what weapon did he use. If no weapon then hanging could be done with clothing. Then again his body would not be hidden.

I mean no disrespect I am just thinking logically. I'm leaning toward misadventure or someone killed him.

Here's a thought. What if he was a victim of a hit and run and his body is near a road covered by vegetation or at the bottom of an embankment.

Just trying to come up with a plausible scenario.

Quite a few bodies of water within running distance. And quite a large creek, Salt Creek, only about 1 mile east of the home, flowing north for many miles:

I believe it was quite a cold night for going out in shorts. If Tyler didn't take his own life, I think one of the strong possibilities is that he tried to take shelter somewhere (where he would be somewhat hidden) and died of exposure.

Last edited:
I find it odd that their relationship had deteriored so much that they were discussing splitting up when they just adopted their youngest son together in April.

Also I think it's totally possible that he did harm himself and just hasn't been found yet. I can think of two cases that were both on this site of people who were missing and were later found having hung themselves in trees in areas that had been searched because searchers are looking down not up, one i know was in Kansas in the winter when trees were bare. Tyler was a marathon runner and could have run way out of the range of searches too.

I find it odd that their relationship had deteriored so much that they were discussing splitting up when they just adopted their youngest son together in April.

Also I think it's totally possible that he did harm himself and just hasn't been found yet. I can think of two cases that were both on this site of people who were missing and were later found having hung themselves in trees in areas that had been searched because searchers are looking down not up, one i know was in Kansas in the winter when trees were bare. Tyler was a marathon runner and could have run way out of the range of searches too.

Expanding the family can be extremely stressful, financially and emotionally. No clue if that was the case here.

It's not uncommon for straight couples to think a baby will save their marriage. The same thing is probably also true for same-sex couples.

I honestly don't have a 100% leaning with this case. I don't feel that Marshall killed him or harmed him. And I don't feel that anyone else killed him. I do think that he has died by now, but either of suicide, an unfortunate accident or exposure.

What I feel could be a plausible scenario is that he goes for a run to clear his head after saying something alluding to suicide that concerns Marshall. Tyler ends up lost and disoriented which is probably worsened by being upset and stressed about the discussion w/ MV. He ends up wandering somewhere he's unfamiliar with, gets lost and panicked, and dies of exposure or possible drowning if in an area with water. I don't know. Just thinking here.

I feel bad for everyone in this situation. Just a sad story.

In this case the two boys weren't babies, though. The older of the two boys is 17 and the other only a few years younger.
Even though their sons aren't babies I think the same principle could easily apply. Just replacing a baby with a teenage adopted son.

And don't adoption agencies vet the perspective parents? I would think the relationship status would be important
Well, they seemed by all appearances to be a pretty typical married gay couple in Nebraska. Adoption agencies from my understanding don't have the ability or resources to look for every crack in a relationship. Something very obvious and troubling I am sure but having some issues that weren't very visible, especially if it is something like incompatibility, could very easily be overlooked IMO. Especially since there are not many couples interested in or willing to adopt teenagers, and if they had been fostering the kid before (I don't know if they were or not) and were stable and the boy was happy there then I can see it being okayed easily. JMO

I think you missed the point. I understood what the poster meant, even though the kids are not babies.

No, I didn't miss the point. That's why I liked the original post. I'm just not convinced adopting two teenagers would be the same as adopting younger children or babies.

I've done some research into lesbian divorce rates in recent years (gay marriage is still so new) and it is higher than other rates (straight people or gay men). One explanation frequently posed is that lesbian couples are more likely than male gay couples (and straight people) to adopt. And lesbians have a high rate of adopting older kids with special needs, which is so necessary, but also stressful. (That statistically proven fact is frequently cited around divorce rates for lesbian couples.)

Almost any older kid adopted is gonna be special needs. (Purely from accumulated trauma, from the bio family, and from being in the system, if not also other causes.) (To be clear, I write this as someone who was a traumatized youth who ran away at 17 and then was unofficially "adopted," by my godmother, who raised over 100 kids, most from the system. I am not judging, I'm just saying, if you don't have secure bio family while growing up, you are gonna have trauma. And you are gonna be harder to care for than a kid who has had a life of steady care and love.)

A family could be perfectly healthy and solid, and then adopting two traumatized older kids (again, you cannot be in the system long enough to be adopted without being traumatized) could challenge the stability and dynamics of the family.

All of that to say, from my perspective, this is/was very likely a very loving a well balanced couple, that welcomed in two kids that changed the dynamic of the family - and, as a result, the adults realized they weren't a good long term fit together. But one of the things about gay couples adopting is that it takes a notable amount of decision and planning and scrutiny, much more so than just a straight couple getting pregnant as a solution to relationship strife.

I don't think any of the above answers what happened in this case. But any couple of any sexual orientation adopting high need kids is bound to experience relationship changes, if not challenges. That isn't unique to this situation.

(MOO but google for studies on lesbian divorce rates if you want to read more about the studies done.)

What I feel could be a plausible scenario is that he goes for a run to clear his head
The thing is, if he intended to go for a run, wouldn't he have headed down the driveway to the road, not into the backyard?

And if he was wearing only light (running) clothes, and actually left the property from the backyard, he would have had to push his way through the briars that were previously mentioned as being fairly intense.

So it seems to me he either did that, probably scratching himself up in the process, or he doubled back to leave the property from the front without being seen on any cameras, or... he never left the back yard at all.

Problem is, none of these seem overly likely. This is a puzzler for sure.

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela
Back