New People Magazine article on the KH case

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
About the 50/50 comment in the article: this is why media filtering is sooooo frustrating.

The KGW raw, unedited video with both parents was so much better than this because the viewer could hear the questions and see the entire, unedited answers. All the context was there.

Who knows what the context was in the People article? If he said "uh, well, I'm afraid they want an arrest quickly to pacify the public, um, uh, well, it looks like, I mean, ah, I'm afraid, uh, they are framing Terri... maybe, uh, it is a 50/50 chance right now." that would completely change the implications of the reported comment.

Remember that the Supreme Court has ruled that making up quotes out of nothing is protected free speech (Masson v. New Yorker Magazine) so long as the person to whom the quotes are misattributed cannot prove they were substantially harmed by them.

Compared to baldfaced making up quotes, picking a sentence or phrase out of context is at least true albeit a very limited truth that may actually convey a falsehood.

Moulton's father, Larry Moulton, 72, told 'People' matter-of-factly that "the finger points at stepmoms, she's trying to be cooperative."

He too said she has had two polygraphs, have taken her truck twice and questioned her for up to six hours, several times.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37523071/

It seems clear to me that LE is trying to 'break' TH and get her to confess, along with trying to find physical and other corroborating evidence that links her to Kyron's disappearance.

I believe the reason things are so quiet in this case is because the focus is on trying to nail that 1 person by LE and the FBI. Just based on TH's father's comments to People, it seems they have their belief on who did something to Kyron.

Are they right? Are they wrong? Well we won't know until they tell us something or release some info on what they have. And they are not likely to do that.

I haven't read the People article, so could someone pretty please tell me if Mr. Moulton mentioned his 16 year old grandson? Anything about why he left TH's house and came to live with him?

TIA

That topic was not addressed in the article.

RE: Terri detached, insensitive... ect.

FWIW I have raised someone elses child from 7 days old until he was 3.3 years old. I love him like he is my own or so I thought, until I had my own child.

The love I felt for I.Q (his initals) seems like it was more of an intense, fearful (that one day he would have to leave), an obsessive love (didn't want other to hold him), unconditional love. At the time, I thought this was all normal feelings as I never had my own child. I loved I.Q so much, I thought it was impossible to love more than I did.

Then, I had my own son. I had no problems with others holding him, I love to share him, I have no fear - as he is mine...

Now, I.Q has been gone from my life now for 8 years. If they were to call me today and ask if I could take him back after 8 years, I honestly do not know if I would say yes. In all honesty, I would be afraid for my own son. All the what "ifs" enter my head, and I get a strong intsinct to protect my son.

The reason I am saying this is because I think if Terri's situation with Kyron and K****.

Although Terri raised Kyron, he is not hers... in her heart, he never was (IMO), she most likely loves him the same way I love I.Q - a very intense paraniod, jealous love (I was jealous I was not the mother of I.Q), now that I look back, it was an unhealthy love.

The day my son was born, was the day I realized, how unhealthy my love was for IQ, it mentally drained me.

IMO when Terri gave birth to K*** , was when she realized the extreme difference between having your own child, and having a child that you loved so much that you thought you could possibly love no more (I.Q), turns out being totally different from what you expected when you have your own... it is such a relaxing love, no fears, as he is mine.

It was very easy to detach myself from I.Q when he had to leave, yes, it broke my heart, but, I kept telling myself, he was never mine to begin with... that is how I coped.

IMO>> this might be why Terri seems to be detached and unemotional.

From the People mag article:

In addition, her father tells People, "Police have... interrogated her [Terri] for up to six hours several times."

If Terri's father's interpretation of events is to be believed - that TH has been "interrogated for up to six hours several times", IMO, this info is telling.

It's protocol for LE to interview/interrogate parents of a missing child. I have no doubt that LE has interviewed both Kaine & Terri at length.

But it stands out to me that, once again, Terri seems to be the focus of LE's investigation. I say "seems to be" because as far as I know, Kaine (and others) may have also been questioned up to six hours several times. But we aren't reading articles with statements from them complaining about lengthy "interrogations". If others have opined to their friends or family about how much LE has questioned them, they're not talking to the media. OTOH, TH's friend & family member have.

So far, we've only read articles that quote TH's friend or family member, with complaints from either TH (relayed thru a friend) or apparent concern from a family member regarding LE's "interrogation" of TH.

In recent interviews, KH didn't express dismay about having to answer the same questions over & over again, nor did he complain about repeated interviews with LE. IIRC, he stated that he would do whatever it takes to bring Kyron home. Not that I would expect him to proclaim on national television any misgivings about LE questioning. AFAIK he might resent it. If he does, he's not saying.

I guess what I mean to say is this: if it's true that TH has been "interrogated" by police for up to six hours several times, that tells me that LE has not been satisfied with the responses they've gotten. MOO

The People mag article also mentions 2 polys.

For some reason, the results of the first one must not have been satisfactory IMO, otherwise why do a 2nd one?

When I put together puzzles, I always separate & assemble the border pieces first. Then I fill in the rest.

IMO when Terri gave birth to K*** , was when she realized the extreme difference between having your own child, and having a child that you loved so much that you thought you could possibly love no more

sbm

I think her relationship with Kyron probably was not what others *saw* or would like to believe...but, remember, she does have another bio child. I keep forgetting that myself since he's out of the picture for the most part and we haven't heard much about him.

Of course, she was much younger when she had him and went through two troubled marriages while he was growing up. So I'd bet her experience with the new baby is totally different -- maybe also because it's a girl who resembles her (at least with the red hair). Idk, but I'd agree that her relationship with Kyron most likely is NOT the same as her relationship with her bio daughter and may, in fact, be very, very different.

jmo

I guess it is different for everyone, I love my children equally. My adopted sons are love the same by me as our bio son is. I would give my life for any of them. I never even think about them as being adopted until I have to, for whatever reason, like filling out medical forms and such. I am not saying, one is right and the other is wrong, just that some do and some don't feel the same love for a bio child and a step or adopted child

IMO when Terri gave birth to K*** , was when she realized the extreme difference between having your own child, and having a child that you loved so much that you thought you could possibly love no more (I.Q), turns out being totally different from what you expected when you have your own... it is such a relaxing love, no fears, as he is mine.

*snipped*

Terri already had a child "of her own" from a previous marriage - a son.

But, she didn't have a daughter until K***a.

But thank you for sharing your beautiful story.

I snagged a copy of this article this morning at the airport, and I so desperately wanted to tell all of you about it. I usually access the site via my phone, and it's really slow and cumbersome.

I concur with Emma Peel's list of pertinent details. Definitely the thing that grabbed me was that they had taken her truck twice.

I think his comment about the 50/50 needs to be considered carefully. The question he is asked is if he thinks she'll be arrested before this is over, and his answer is fifty/fifty. That's NOT the same as him saying he thinks there is a 50/50 chance she is guilty. I sincerely hope you can see the very important distinction there!
I was thinking the exact same thing. There is definitely a big distinction. His family feels that she is sincerely helping.

Forgive me it is my first post and I have not read the other thread on the case You may have this info on the thread which I will read, but as a teacher is not her time in school accountable? and it would not at all surprise me if her truck had the boys hair or sweat, or any form of DNA. I am sure he had been in that truck a million times. And sadly her father does seem to need to listen watch and NOT OPEN his mouth.
Nobody seems to know YET what happened , and sadly 3 weeks is too long. I am going to read the other thread now. bye....

For all anyone knows though, there could be the same feelings about all children in a person who could do something like this. That would apply to whoever did this. A person not thinking right could take normal child behavior and think that they have something wrong with them and focus on the negative.

Have we all seen this article? It is dated June 27, 5:15 PM

"Kyron Horman: Dad of missing Oregon boy’s stepmom says his daughter is being scrutinized by police"

Have a read and lets discuss the new things, or confirmations...

"Horman’s father, Larry Moulton, spoke to the publication, saying “the finger points at step moms, she’s trying to be cooperative.” He noted that Horman has undergone two polygraph examinations, has had her truck seized twice by police, and has been questioned by investigators for up to six hours at a time on more than one occasion."

1. "undergone two polygraph examinations" (confirmed by her father if he is actually aware)
2. "has had her truck seized twice by police"
3. "has been questioned by investigators for up to six hours at a time on more than one occasion."

For those of you who have been discussing the towing of the white truck for what was thought to be mechanical problems...perhaps this article shines a new light?

I dont know why he gave that interview. Did he think he was helping to defend her?

Hi Brandi,

You wrote:
"I dont know why he gave that interview. Did he think he was helping to defend her?"

That's a good question, I don't have the answer, but think that the main point of the article was Dad's saying "she’s trying to be cooperative."

Obviously TH is under intense scrutiny and for all the obvious reasons. It must be difficult for her family and friends to see her go through this. In the meanwhile, her father -- if he is informed (and one might think so) -- seems to have confirmed a few things to those who might have been wondering about them.

The truck has been seized twice... That seems to indicate that LE has looked it over fairly thoroughly OR maybe put a tracking device on it, or both.

Some have wondered whether TH actually went through with the taking of the 2nd poly, TH's dad confirms that she took 2 polys.

Some have wondered if LE has really questioned her thoroughly... It seems that she has had a real workout with that, according to her father.

It is my hope that LE will do SOMETHING to help clear this woman sooner rather than later and IF it is at all possible. I do not like having to look at her based on the situation, I wish that they would sort this out.

Hi Brandi,

You wrote:
"I dont know why he gave that interview. Did he think he was helping to defend her?"

That's a good question, I don't have the answer, but think that the main point of the article was Dad's saying "she’s trying to be cooperative."

Obviously TH is under intense scrutiny and for all the obvious reasons. It must be difficult for her family and friends to see her go through this. In the meanwhile, her father -- if he is informed (and one might think so) -- seems to have confirmed a few things to those who might have been wondering about them.

The truck has been seized twice... That seems to indicate that LE has looked it over fairly thoroughly OR maybe put a tracking device on it, or both.

Some have wondered whether TH actually went through with the taking of the 2nd poly, TH's dad confirms that she took 2 polys.

Some have wondered if LE has really questioned her thoroughtly... It seems that she has had a real workout with that, according to her father.

It is my hope that LE will do SOMETHING to help clear this woman sooner rather than later and IF it is at all possible. I do not like having to look at her based on the situation, I wish that they would sort this out.

BBM: I think this is exactly what the LE are doing... trying to clear her...

BBM: I think this is exactly what the LE are doing... trying to clear her...
. . .ITA, or eliminate her as a suspect.

It took me a while to get ahold of that concept, how LE works. I always thought the concept was to find enough evidence that fits so a suspect can be named, showing means, motive and opportunity. Nope, the suspect is the one that can't be cleared. Just interesting is all thanks to Arthur Conan Doyle I believe. LOL

MOO

Have we all seen this article? It is dated June 27, 5:15 PM

"Kyron Horman: Dad of missing Oregon boy’s stepmom says his daughter is being scrutinized by police"

Have a read and lets discuss the new things, or confirmations...

"Horman’s father, Larry Moulton, spoke to the publication, saying “the finger points at step moms, she’s trying to be cooperative.” He noted that Horman has undergone two polygraph examinations, has had her truck seized twice by police, and has been questioned by investigators for up to six hours at a time on more than one occasion."

1. "undergone two polygraph examinations" (confirmed by her father if he is actually aware)
2. "has had her truck seized twice by police"
3. "has been questioned by investigators for up to six hours at a time on more than one occasion."

For those of you who have been discussing the towing of the white truck for what was thought to be mechanical problems...perhaps this article shines a new light?

I imagine her father is a pretty reliable source, so I guess the truck was probably being seized by police when we saw those pics of it being towed.:waitasec:

I wonder why they had to seize it TWICE? Additional testing?

Of course this is all to rule TMH out - BUT those 3 above points he mentioned in the article togther tell me that LE knows a LOT more about this case than we (the public) do... And it gives me hope that this isn't going to be another one of those unsolved cases...:twocents:

Not being able to rule her out after more than three weeks is pretty telling to me, and I don't even have a feeling about this case, as far as a potential suspect. It seems very clear that for whatever reason, innocent or otherwise, she can't produce receipts or video accounts of where she went after leaving the school. Maybe she is claiming she just returned home and since Kaine was at work half day or whatever, no one can verify it and maybe she was not on her comupter until after 1pm. It could be a whole lot of bad luck on her part or else not.

It is also possible her Dad was speaking out of turn and was not in possession of all of the facts, I hate to think he is getting his info the same way we all are, but it is possible.

DY said in one of the interviews (I think it's the raw KGW one but didn't go back to check) when asked what it means to cooperate with the police that it means doing whatever they ask, answering the phone in the middle of the night, talking to the searchers, doing six hours of interrogations in a row. It's not the same as saying, "I was interrogated for six hours" but I think it implies it. So I don't think Terri was alone in being interrogated for long periods of time. The tone of her interviews may have been different, I don't know, but I think interrogations are SOP.

They would probably have had more questions to ask from Terri than Kaine or Desiree anyway because she was there at the school and was able to make observations about the people present where Kyron went missing, Kaine and Desiree were not.

DY said in one of the interviews (I think it's the raw KGW one but didn't go back to check) when asked what it means to cooperate with the police that it means doing whatever they ask, answering the phone in the middle of the night, talking to the searchers, doing six hours of interrogations in a row. It's not the same as saying, "I was interrogated for six hours" but I think it implies it. So I don't think Terri was alone in being interrogated for long periods of time. The tone of her interviews may have been different, I don't know, but I think interrogations are SOP.

They would probably have had more questions to ask from Terri than Kaine or Desiree anyway because she was there at the school and was able to make observations about the people present where Kyron went missing, Kaine and Desiree were not.

Everybody gets interviewed. Even the students and parents of students at Skyline were interviewed by LE. At one point they had 50 LEOs at the school to interview them. Neighbors were interviewed. Everybody.

Info for interviews can be found on the sheriff's sites:
http://www.flashalert.net/news.html?id=1276
http://www.mcso.us/public/newsroom.htm

Regarding the parents, starting from June 5, in the presser, LE has said they were interviewing the parents, they were all cooperating, and they were getting tons of info from them.

Gates at approximately 7:15:

- Yeah. Every one of them. We're in contact with every one of, everybody in the family is, has uh, either has or is going to be or is being interviewed. We're getting all the information that we can. And they've been very forthcoming and have provided us with a ton of information that's useful to us.

http://www.kptv.com/video/23805637/index.html

ETA: Reporters love to selectively use the word 'interrogation'. LE has been using the term 'interview' for ages now. Notice that the reporters in this case don't say that the little children students - or anyone except stepmom - were 'interrogated'. It's interesting. I've noticed this selectivity on the part of reporters in other cases as well.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Required
Back