New People Magazine article on the KH case

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I know they've conducted tons of interviews, although I don't suppose they've done six-hour interviews with all the parents and children. What I was trying to say that I don't think the length of the interviews alone says that you're a serious suspect, it might be just that the more you could possibly know the more you get asked about.

Of course Terri's father could have heard Terri's opinions about the questions they asked and the tone that was used and made some inferences based on that.

Hi Ms. Emma! My daughter called me about this article and had an interesting take on this 50/50 comment (I haven't read it yet). She thought dad probably shrugged his shoulders in response to a question about an arrest - and it was reported as 50/50 chance. Speculation for sure.

My thoughts about how this article fits in: LE are focusing on mom almost exclusively. I would bet that when the FBI came up with their profile back in the beginning, it said - s-mom. That would account for the 'wandering' theory. I bet they thought smom dropped Kyron off in some thick brush without his glasses, only to wander aimlessly. moo

LE took the truck twice, searched property (according to Kaine - all without a warrant) and put out a leading questionnaire linking mom, Kyron, truck, to a certain day, time, and event. With this kind of focus how can anyone be sure s-mom isn't the perp? I bet dad is overwhelmed with the overwhelming suggestions that she is - and it seems that is coming from the FBI profile.

The FBI profile could very well be wrong or off track - it sure wouldn't be the first time.
all just my opinions and speculation
BBM

Eyes4crime,

I have a couple of questions regarding your post. I have not yet read this particular People article and am just reading this thread for information on it.

1. Is is stated in the article that it is "speculation" by Terri's father that there is a 50/50 chance that his daughter will be arrested? Or "speculation" on the part of the People interviewer that this is what Terri's father meant?

2. Has there been a statement that the FBI has compiled a profile? If so, has it been stated that the profile suggests the step-mom?

(I am having a hard time figuring out what is fact and personal opinion in your above post. No problem with opinions, but it sure is difficult to decipher whether or not you have have some information; especially about the FBI being involved in a profile and, if a Profile exists and we are somehow privy to it, that it points to the step-mom).

Thanks in advance.

does the article address the polygraph results? it does confirm two tests though right?

Right.

My deputy friend said that the search and seizure laws in Oregon are some of the toughest in the country. The Hormans appear to be quite cooperative, IMO.
Kimster, I agree, when listening to Kaine in the interviews from Friday, that they have been cooperative. LE has said this, too.

But...wouldn't "being cooperative" involve allowing LE forensic experts have at your computers? Kaine indicated that these had NOT been looked at, though his property and home had been, with permission, no warrants needed. *(Edited to add: It is not clear that Kaine included the home when he stated that LE had been given his (their) permission to search "the property."

Were the Hormans asked and refused to allow LE to "seize" or just look over their computers? Possibly Kaine and/or Terri were not approached regarding their computers and LE's tactic was - and still continues to be - to wait for warrants (and if obtained, wait to serve them), letting Kaine and/or Terri feel comfortable about the computer in their home.

My speculation based on Kaine's words on this matter.

“the finger points at stepmoms, she’s trying to be cooperative.”

I haven't seen this People issue, but assuming this transcription is accurate, it makes me wonder what he meant. Is there another stepmom in this case who may be involved in a plan to disappear this little boy? I have my own wildly dramatic ideas about what could have happened, but I won't put them here.

I'm seeing a clear divide.

The magazine on newstands last weeks has the interview TH's dad, and there is a formal picturethe family with TH in it of course.

Last Friday during the interviews by KH and DY, and the 200 pics on line, KH clearly stated that only the family ("the family" up to interpretation of course) would be the spokesman. KH and DY did not discuss TH at all except to say she was cooperating. And TH appears nowhere in the 200 pics submitted. (She may be behind the video camera)

I guess their interview isa rebuttal of sorts to the People magazine, and advising the public they are spokesmen for the family?

“the finger points at stepmoms, she’s trying to be cooperative.”

I haven't seen this People issue, but assuming this transcription is accurate, it makes me wonder what he meant. Is there another stepmom in this case who may be involved in a plan to disappear this little boy? I have my own wildly dramatic ideas about what could have happened, but I won't put them here.

TM's dad seems to be trying to defend her, and to suggest that attention is focused on her because she is "only" the stepmom (as in wicked stepmoms as a group) as opposed to a natural parent. To me, that seems incorrect, but I just chalk it up to his doing the best he can in an interview without being really media savvy, and knowing how every word will be parsed.

As to KH's comments to the media, he seemed to be anticipating there might be some public statements from friends or relatives (I think he no doubt knew about the upcoming People article), but that only he and Kyron's mom would be officially speaking about him and his disappearance.

I know they've conducted tons of interviews, although I don't suppose they've done six-hour interviews with all the parents and children. What I was trying to say that I don't think the length of the interviews alone says that you're a serious suspect, it might be just that the more you could possibly know the more you get asked about.

I agree. If I'm not mistaken, Kayleah's mother was interviewed for something like 12 hours. And look at the hours and hours Caylee's grandparents were interviewed.

It makes sense that whoever can offer the most info about the missing person and the events surrounding their disappearance would be the ones who get interviewed the longest, even if they're not involved in any crime. LE needs to get every little detail possible, and as they interview others and get more info, they have to call people back in to nail down timelines, resolve any conflicts, clarify things, ask about things the person may have forgotten or not thought important, etc.

Kimster, I agree, when listening to Kaine in the interviews from Friday, that they have been cooperative. LE has said this, too.

But...wouldn't "being cooperative" involve allowing LE forensic experts have at your computers? Kaine indicated that these had NOT been looked at, though his property and home had been, with permission, no warrants needed. *(Edited to add: It is not clear that Kaine included the home when he stated that LE had been given his (their) permission to search "the property."

Were the Hormans asked and refused to allow LE to "seize" or just look over their computers? Possibly Kaine and/or Terri were not approached regarding their computers and LE's tactic was - and still continues to be - to wait for warrants (and if obtained, wait to serve them), letting Kaine and/or Terri feel comfortable about the computer in their home.

My speculation based on Kaine's words on this matter.

Hi seeking. :) There hasn't been any indication that any of the parents haven't been cooperative. Quite the opposite, per LE.

What I noted is that the reporter asked if the computers had been 'taken'. IMO he asked the wrong question. :)

I would have asked if the computers had been 'examined forensically'. That could have been done in the home. We know FBIers have been in the home.

I probably would have also asked if 'any' computer 'hard drives or other storage devices' had been taken.

Had the darn reporters let us know in advance they were going to do these interviews, I bet we sleuthers could have come up with a great set of questions to ask. ;)

I imagine her father is a pretty reliable source, so I guess the truck was probably being seized by police when we saw those pics of it being towed.:waitasec:

I wonder why they had to seize it TWICE? Additional testing?
Of course this is all to rule TMH out - BUT those 3 above points he mentioned in the article togther tell me that LE knows a LOT more about this case than we (the public) do... And it gives me hope that this isn't going to be another one of those unsolved cases...:twocents:
Quadlatte,

I am totally mystified by your assertion above, copied here:

"Of course this is all to rule TMH out." (Quadlatte)

Everything that you pointed out in your post regarding the actions of LE concerning the stepmom point directly at her being their focus; not because they need to do all of the intense work they have done regarding her in order to clear her. I see it as doing everything they see that must do in order to make sure they have a rock-solid case AGAINST her.

This is what it looks like to me.

MY OPINION.

Just bought the July 5th issue & finished reading the article.

TH's friend J Jones is quoted as saying that Terri was friends with Desiree before Kyron was born.

In one of yesterday's interviews, when asked by the reporter if she knew Terri when she was pregnant with Kyron, Desiree said "No."

I'm wondering why there is such conflicting info regarding when they became friends.

FWIW - I believe Desiree when she said "No", and I'm inclined at this point to think that perhaps Terri's friend's knowledge of when Terri became friends with Desiree is inaccurate, for some reason. MOO

I'm beginning to suspect that Terri had a relationship with Kaine first and that is the thing that doesn't look good that everyone (or Terri in particular) is trying to avoid.

Hi seeking. :) There hasn't been any indication that any of the parents haven't been cooperative. Quite the opposite, per LE.

What I noted is that the reporter asked if the computers had been 'taken'. IMO he asked the wrong question. :)

I would have asked if the computers had been 'examined forensically'. That could have been done in the home. We know FBIers have been in the home.

I probably would have also asked if 'any' computer 'hard drives or other storage devices' had been taken.

Had the darn reporters let us know in advance they were going to do these interviews, I bet we sleuthers could have come up with a great set of questions to ask. ;)
Hi BeanE,

I agree that it sounds like Kaine and Desiree are completely cooperating. As for Terri, who knows.

And you are so right. The question asked the way it was could mean that Kaine's answer could mean a few things.

It seems like it would be inconceivable that LE has NOT gone over their computers with a fine tooth comb. I certainly believe that they have.

Kaine's answer to a badly worded question may have given him the perfect opportunity to protect their privacy concerning searches. I see nothing wrong with that, as the investigation needs to be kept private.

(My earlier post was just speculation based upon taking Kaine's words at face value and then wondering, if true - that the computers hadn't been looked at by Friday's interviews - there must be some good reason for it).

In my opinion.

Quadlatte,

I am totally mystified by your assertion above, copied here:

"Of course this is all to rule TMH out." (Quadlatte)

Everything that you pointed out in your post regarding the actions of LE concerning the stepmom point directly at her being their focus; not because they need to do all of the intense work they have done regarding her in order to clear her. I see it as doing everything they see that must do in order to make sure they have a rock-solid case AGAINST her.

This is what it looks like to me.

MY OPINION.

I would not want to live in a country that built cases against people to charge and convict them without having first diligently expended every effort to rule them out. Dear God. Could you imagine LE across the country missing or dismissing pieces of evidence that proved a person had committed criminal wrongdoing, because they're focused on hanging someone for the sake of hanging them?

Hi BeanE,

I agree that it sounds like Kaine and Desiree are completely cooperating. As for Terri, who knows.

And you are so right. The question asked the way it was could mean that Kaine's answer could mean a few things.

It seems like it would be inconceivable that LE has NOT gone over their computers with a fine tooth comb. I certainly believe that they have.

Kaine's answer to a badly worded question may have given him the perfect opportunity to protect their privacy concerning searches. I see nothing wrong with that, as the investigation needs to be kept private.

(My earlier post was just speculation based upon taking Kaine's words at face value and then wondering, if true - that the computers hadn't been looked at by Friday's interviews - there must be some good reason for it).

In my opinion.

BBM. I know *raises hand*! Because LE has told us all the way along that Terri, specifically, as well as the rest of the parents, are fully cooperating.

See the most recent press conference June 18 for Gates statement specifically about the parents, Terri individually, and how they're all cooperating. I transcribed and posted it. Let me know if you need me to pull it up.

ETA: Here it is.

Gates at approx -0:42:

Terri's being cooperative with investigators. And the whole family is being cooperative with investigators.

http://www.kgw.com/video?id=96685544&sec=547977

I would not want to live in a country that built cases against people to charge and convict them without having first diligently expended every effort to rule them out. Dear God. Could you imagine LE across the country missing or dismissing pieces of evidence that proved a person had committed criminal wrongdoing, because they're focused on hanging someone for the sake of hanging them?

Sadly, tunnel vision is all too common in our country in criminal cases, so we can't assume they are doing anything to her benefit, or to her detriment. We can only hope they are doing everything right, but we can't know that for sure.

. . .ITA, or eliminate her as a suspect.

It took me a while to get ahold of that concept, how LE works. I always thought the concept was to find enough evidence that fits so a suspect can be named, showing means, motive and opportunity. Nope, the suspect is the one that can't be cleared. Just interesting is all thanks to Arthur Conan Doyle I believe. LOL

MOO

BBM

I'm not picking on you specifically, scandi, but your post is the most recent I've read with the phrase "means, motive and opportunity."

Motive is basically, in my opinion, useless. I've read statements by so many murderers and their motives are *all* incomprehensible. Only the murderer knows what a sufficient motive is.

Alyssa Bustamante allegedly told the police that she killed Elizabeth Olten because she wanted to know what killing was like. Who would ever have inferred that as a motive to kill a little 9 year old girl?

Figure out who did it via means and opportunity, motive will take care of itself.

Sadly, tunnel vision is all too common in our country in criminal cases, so we can't assume they are doing anything to her benefit, or to her detriment. We can only hope they are doing everything right, but we can't know that for sure.

I believe in our system. It's not perfect, but it's good. I'm not so naive as to think things work right or work well all the time, but I do think most of the time they work at least adequately.

I think this LE is doing a good job, doing what they should be. Maybe not perfect, but we're all human. With as many agencies as are involved in this, and as many LEOs, I believe there's enough sanity checking that they're not ignoring basic tenets, and instead in a frenzy to charge and convict the stepmom whether or not she's involved.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties
Back