New Search 9/12/2011

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what the Powells think of this search.... Are they hiding from the media so far?

I was just thinking that it would be interesting to keep interviewing Josh each time the police announce they are searching a different specific area to see what changes are in Josh's behavior or speech. That should tell us whether or not they are looking in the right place.

Man, I just don't see how he would get his minivan out on roads like that. They clearly wouldn't be plowed.

That said, I would think he had a little time - if, for argument's sake, that's where he put her. Round trip to the general area would have been 5 hours. He could have gotten stuck a bunch, or just hiked a little, and still had plenty of time to get back when he did.

It would also make sense for the miles he put on the rental car, if he had gone back down there. I've always thought the rental car was a bit of a red herring, especially when they started looking in Elko. It would have been too far to be "several hundred miles." It would have had to have been close to a thousand for Elko. This would be more like 250.

Just looked at the pics in the link SuziQ posted and had the same thought DomCasual.
What type of vehicle was the rental?

This area make more sense to me as being a more likely area where JP would go (and he did say “South” at one point), as the storm that came through the valley that night came from the south. Many times when they get a snow storm in Provo, it hits a few hours later in the Salt Lake area and has already cleared the Provo area (South).

Most of the times when I have went back and forth between California (to get out of the snow!) during the winter there has been less snow in the general area between Nephi and Cedar City, UT (and the interstates are usually not too bad, I worry more about deer jumping out in front of me, more than the snow on the road. Not always the case with less snow but a lot of the time(s) and I have done that drive to many times to count over the last 30 years.

Just looked at the pics in the link SuziQ posted and had the same thought DomCasual.
What type of vehicle was the rental?

I believe the rental car can be seen in the "beanie" video above Knox.

Man, I just don't see how he would get his minivan out on roads like that. They clearly wouldn't be plowed.

That said, I would think he had a little time - if, for argument's sake, that's where he put her. Round trip to the general area would have been 5 hours. He could have gotten stuck a bunch, or just hiked a little, and still had plenty of time to get back when he did.

It would also make sense for the miles he put on the rental car, if he had gone back down there. I've always thought the rental car was a bit of a red herring, especially when they started looking in Elko. It would have been too far to be "several hundred miles." It would have had to have been close to a thousand for Elko. This would be more like 250.

http://www.xmission.com/~jbdaniel/topazmtn.htm

If you plan on going to Topaz Mountain, take plenty of water, make sure you have a spare tire and the means to change it, food, first aid kit, and a full tank of gas. Cell phones don't work out in the desert so take what ever you will need and be prepared. Respect the gravel roads and don't travel too fast or you will loose control of your vehicle and it could be very ugly. Winter is an excellent time to visit the Thomas Range because these mountains receive very little snow and the temperatures on average are warm enough to do some rock hounding in relative comfort. Lastly, if you are not familiar with the Desert, make sure that you are not caught on the unfamiliar roads after dark because it is very easy to get lost out there. Visiting Topaz Mountain and the Thomas Range can be quite an adventure, but it is worth the effort if rock hounding is an interest that you have.

BenWinslow Ben Winslow
"The chances of finding something here are slim to none," cops admit. Yet they will keep searching for Susan. @fox13now #findsusan #Utah
3 minutes ago

BenWinslow Ben Winslow
Why here? Simpson Springs is 20 miles away (the campsite). @fox13now #findsusan #Utah
7 minutes ago

BenWinslow Ben Winslow
Cops did not search mines today. That will happen soon, cops say. @fox13now #findsusan #Utah
8 minutes ago

BenWinslow Ben Winslow
They found bones. Animals, not human. @fox13now #findsusan #Utah
10 minutes ago

BenWinslow Ben Winslow
WVC PD says they found some things today they will investigate further. May not be connected to Susan Powell. @fox13now #findsusan #Utah
11 minutes ago

BenWinslow Ben Winslow
Searchers are coming back in. The cadaver dogs look tired. We'll update you with the latest soon... @fox13now #findsusan #Utah

http://twitter.com/#!/BenWinslow

And from Nate Carlisle's twitter

natecarlisle Nate Carlisle
WVCPD searched yesterday, too. Will be out here through Thursday, lieutenant says. #findSUSAN

http://twitter.com/#!/natecarlisle

If cell phones don't work out there, would there be any pings?

This area make more sense to me as being a more likely area where JP would go (and he did say “South” at one point), as the storm that came through the valley that night came from the south. Many times when they get a snow storm in Provo, it hits a few hours later in the Salt Lake area and has already cleared the Provo area (South).

Most of the times when I have went back and forth between California (to get out of the snow!) during the winter there has been less snow in the general area between Nephi and Cedar City, UT (and the interstates are usually not too bad, I worry more about deer jumping out in front of me, more than the snow on the road. Not always the case with less snow but a lot of the time(s) and I have done that drive to many times to count over the last 30 years.
http://www.wunderground.com/history...tml?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

A search for Topaz Mountain, UT pulls up a weather station for Delta, UT.

Cold but dry, it appears?

http://www.xmission.com/~jbdaniel/topazmtn.htm

If you plan on going to Topaz Mountain, take plenty of water, make sure you have a spare tire and the means to change it, food, first aid kit, and a full tank of gas. Cell phones don't work out in the desert so take what ever you will need and be prepared. Respect the gravel roads and don't travel too fast or you will loose control of your vehicle and it could be very ugly. Winter is an excellent time to visit the Thomas Range because these mountains receive very little snow and the temperatures on average are warm enough to do some rock hounding in relative comfort. Lastly, if you are not familiar with the Desert, make sure that you are not caught on the unfamiliar roads after dark because it is very easy to get lost out there. Visiting Topaz Mountain and the Thomas Range can be quite an adventure, but it is worth the effort if rock hounding is an interest that you have.

Very interesting. I wonder why they wouldn't get much snow.

Very interesting. I wonder why they wouldn't get much snow.

We have some really strange weather here in Utah, snow storms tend to take on a fork pattern for some reason. It has been known to be snowing in Fillmore, Provo and Layton at the same time and not in the cities (Salt Lake, etc) in between.

Okay, so I live on the east bench of SLC. Comparing the weather we had here that month, it looks like Delta gets about a third of the snow, with slightly lower temperatures (considerably colder at night), and quite a bit more wind.

I bet the snow wouldn't have been that bad down there, at one-third of what we would have had here. The wind would blow what was there into drifts, and the cold temperature would have turned it crusty. I bet he could have gone a ways on those roads.

Okay, so I live on the east bench of SLC. Comparing the weather we had here that month, it looks like Delta gets about a third of the snow, with slightly lower temperatures (considerably colder at night), and quite a bit more wind.

I bet the snow wouldn't have been that bad down there, at one-third of what we would have had here. The wind would blow what was there into drifts, and the cold temperature would have turned it crusty. I bet he could have gone a ways on those roads.

I have a home up in Olympus cove (East Bench) and in Midvale (South valley) and the differences in some of the snow storms between these cities are/have sometimes been amazing different (as I am sure you know). I only remember/recall the roads in Nephi being somewhat bad only a few times when I have driven back and forth to California over the last 30 years.

ETA: Now I am going to have to detour through that area this coming Winter on one of my trips to California.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackojohnnie