New Search 9/12/2011

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they're going to continue looking at Topaz Mountain on Sunday - just not in the same hole.

No it didn't come across as bashing but most cases tend to start showing the large amount of frustration and I'm number 1 guilty of that. I'm trying to calm myself as well as maybe others.

There is a purpose for every word and action they are doing. I'm sure they want to rattle their cage (jp&sp) so they will either come clean (not) or make a mistake trying to cover something else up. This is why I believe they invited Mr. Cox at the scene therefore he will know why certain things are said and where they are. Mr. Cox seems to have confidence and also asked for prayers for LE. Reading into that my instincts tells me that LE is working JP and SP.

All MOO but watch out for more confusing statements to come out by LE as this goes on. I just keep telling myself there is a purpose, and Mr. Cox is there.

I am thinking that LE has decided that it might be a good idea to beat Josh at his own game. In order to play the Powell game, you must make over the top statements, give cryptic clues and take spur of the moment trips to the wilderness.

I'm not kidding. I think that a profiler has advised LE to pull a Columbo on the Powells, and a good bumbling genius will always leave the public wondering if he is really a goofball or if he's just playing with them.:crazy:

I believe that there is a body in that grave. I am very relieved to see that they are sifting every grain of dirt, because we live in a new world, where juries set murderers free because they don't understand the meaning of the word "reasonable".

ETA: Oops! I posted before I finished catching up on the thread. I guess ther is not a body in there after all. Sorry!

Not to go O/T but, can someone start a second thread for this? This one is 56 pages/1380+ posts...TIA. On topic...Bless everyone working so hard to find Susan!

I don't doubt that charred wood was in contact with a body. I tend to believe the dogs...

But can DNA that may have gotten onto the wood survive being burned like that?

Clearly, as Jose Baez can tell you, I am not a chemist. Or a biologist. :crazy:

Not to go O/T but, can someone start a second thread for this? This one is 56 pages/1380+ posts...TIA. On topic...Bless everyone working so hard to find Susan!
I was waiting for a good stopping point, and I think that would be now. ;) I'll be right back with the link.

I don't doubt that charred wood was in contact with a body. I tend to believe the dogs...

But can DNA that may have gotten onto the wood survive being burned like that?

Clearly, as Jose Baez can tell you, I am not a chemist. Or a biologist. :crazy:

I absolutely believe the dogs hit on human decomp. My understanding from researching landfill searches is that there's simply no way to tell if it was a dead body.

ETA: In landfill searches, the HRD dogs hit on used bandaids (blood and pus), discarded arm or leg casts (skin cells that have been shed), used tampons, etc.

Updated with the latest news.

Here is a timeline of some recent events:

Jan - July 2011 - no notable activity on case

July 15, 2011 - Steve Powell says he will post portions of Susan Powell’s childhood journals online.

Late July - police call Sandy, former girlfriend of Steven Powell, about the report she gave of SP bragging about a cabinet full of Susan's stuff not found in earlier police search. They had not been in touch with her for many months prior to that.

around Early Aug - per police, they got a search warrant for the Powell home prior to the Ely search.

Aug. 18 - West Valley City police say there is a break in the case and that a search will be conducted in Ely, Nevada. Few other details are released.

Aug. 19, 20 - West Valley City police search abandoned mine shafts in Ely and say they are following up on information developed from a search warrant served earlier in the case. They find no signs of Susan and return to Utah.

Thurs Aug. 25 - Police execute a search warrant at the home of Steve Powell in Puyallup. Search completed at 10 p.m.

Friday Aug 26 11 p.m. - Per SP, JP decides to go camping. (25 hours after search completed.)

Saturday, Aug 27 12:00 a.m. - JP leaves with kids to go camping. (per SP, 1 hour after deciding to do so.)

Mon, Sep 12, 2011 - WVC police begin search of Topaz Mntn area in Delta, UT. Unlike Ely, this search includes a plane. Police say they are following up on information.

Tues Sep 13, 2011 - JP called by media to get his thoughs on the search, he says he is "too busy." WVC says "we have reason to guess there's a body out here..." referring to Topaz Mountain. Search continues.

Wed Sep 14, 2011 - At around noon, the search suddenly shifts 2 miles, based on a tip from Mr Tony Abbott, who noted suspicious activity there along a road.
At 1 p.m., Police have encouraged citizens to report any tips which may be connected to Susan Powell’s disappearance.
At 1:30 p.m. Report that "human remains found through cadaver dogs." And that a Medical Examiner is coming....

Thurs Sep 15 - Mr. Cox arrives at burial site, later says to media he was brought there by authorities. Police are giving cryptic reports about what has been discovered. They say the dirt has been recently disturbed at the site, that human remains have been found, but no bones. They are still digging and looking for more remains.

Fri Sep 16 - Still no body or bones discovered. They still have only dug two feet deep and now say they are no longer digging. Cadaver dogs still hitting on dirt in grave site. Sifting for decomp particles with equipment. Weather gets bad later in day, search postponed for Saturday.

Sat Sep 17 - Police announce that no body has been found, and that they have stopped digging. Will be searching the Topaz Mntn area again on Sunday. They are disappointed. They say they found charred wood that came into contact with human remains in the grave.

Sources: The Salt Lake Tribune, West Valley City Police Department, Kiirsi Hellewell, Charles Cox, media reports

Please continue here...

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7133891#post7133891"]09-17-11 Topaz Mountain Search Yields Charred Wood and Decomp[/ame]

This thread will be closed soon. I'll wait a few minutes in case anyone wants to copy over their posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member