New Search 9/12/2011

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Evidence I see is:

1. The added time to uncover the body. They have been there for 74 hours (understood not every minute of those 74 hours, but still).
2. The depth they have dug. 2 and a half feet in 3 days? I could have done that in about an hour. 3. They called in more dogs and are searching the area, despite saying they have found a grave site.
4. They called in a plane to fly over the area again (I think.)
5. They called in horses to roam the area searching for something.
6. Their interviews are strangely inconsistent, contradictory and fragmentary as to what they have and what they don't.
7. They brought Mr. Cox to the burial site, yet don't have remains?
8. JP was reported as having gone camping Aug 27, 2011, 26 hours after the police completed the search of his home.
9. A witness saw some suspicious activity at this burial site, but didn't state that it happened in 2009, and did not want to say what he witnessed to reporters. This was reported to authorities and they then moved their search two miles to where this man saw the activity.
10. The main thing they are doing now besides searching other areas is sifting the soil. Why sift soil if the body is buried deeper? How about we dig up the body while we do that?

I'm just being a websleuth here. I realize people really want them to suddenly have a body to announce at this site. It's not happening.

MOO.

I enjoy talking with you here and hearing your opinions.

BBM - why the rush? Wouldn't it be better if they made certain that NO critical information and/or clues are missed? Whoever is or was in the ground is not going anywhere now. They are watching the area 24/7. Why the rush? Let them make certain that they find whatever is there to find. If a body is recovered farther down, what if there is a bullet casing or something else to help identify the killer.

I think they are smart to bring in additional dogs to be certain that they continue to get hits on the same hole. The new dogs do not know where they are supposed to hit, but they continue to hit in the same spot. There is something in that hole. They just need to take their time, find out what is there, or find out if something was moved.

IF someone was in that hole, but was moved; then they will want to see what dirt piles the dogs hit on. They will then need to analyze that dirt to see if there is any DNA present.

Personally, I am pleased with the fact that they are meticulous. I want them to nail the S.O.B. Actually both S.O.B.'s !!

Now there's a thought. I know some speculated early on that the generator might have been used to run an auger for cutting a hole through ice. I don't think a heating blanket has been mentioned, but it would make sense. A friend of mine lives in an apartment complex in Montana. He and other residents use them to protect their cars in winter because they don't have garages. I would think campers and rock hounds would use them, too, when they're out in the wilderness during winter. I wonder if JP has one.

These are great thoughts. I would be interested to know if the ground was actually frozen out there though. In a mild winter, we sometimes do not have frost in the ground until January. The temps out there were not single digit during the time in question.

I do lean towards a possible predug sight. However, what if he needed the generator for a large light to dig?

I enjoy talking with you here and hearing your opinions.

BBM - why the rush? Wouldn't it be better if they made certain that NO critical information and/or clues are missed? Whoever is or was in the ground is not going anywhere now. They are watching the area 24/7. Why the rush? Let them make certain that they find whatever is there to find. If a body is recovered farther down, what if there is a bullet casing or something else to help identify the killer.

I think they are smart to bring in additional dogs to be certain that they continue to get hits on the same hole. The new dogs do not know where they are supposed to hit, but they continue to hit in the same spot. There is something in that hole. They just need to take their time, find out what is there, or find out if something was moved.

IF someone was in that hole, but was moved; then they will want to see what dirt piles the dogs hit on. They will then need to analyze that dirt to see if there is any DNA present.

Personally, I am pleased with the fact that they are meticulous. I want them to nail the S.O.B. Actually both S.O.B.'s !!

As do I!

Anyway, regarding your question, why the rush, I am not saying they should rush the process. But give me ONE example in prior murder cases where it took this long to dig up a body.

As do I! For the record, I think the brother knows as well. I was watching the early interviews on the case and I think their father told him to handle the press because JP was so terrible at it, and that he was put into the circle of trust. Blood bonds are strong, and the father knew his son would listen to him and do exactly as he was told. That is obstruction of justice and the son should receive a just sentence for that if it could be proven. MOO, and speculative as to his involvement.

Anyway, regarding your question, why the rush, I am not saying they should rush the process. But give me ONE example in prior murder cases where it took this long to dig up a body.

I don't think I've ever seen a brother interviewed?

I completely agree with LE taking their time at the site; what I do not understand is announcing the finding of human remains, later altered to assumed human remains. Why annouce anything at all, other than that they have an area of interest, indicated by several HRD dogs? That is what is baffling to me. They seem to want to operate under as much media as possible, which is contrary to any LE investigation I can recall.

Now there's a thought. I know some speculated early on that the generator might have been used to run an auger for cutting a hole through ice. I don't think a heating blanket has been mentioned, but it would make sense. A friend of mine lives in an apartment complex in Montana. He and other residents use them to protect their cars in winter because they don't have garages. I would think campers and rock hounds would use them, too, when they're out in the wilderness during winter. I wonder if JP has one.

I googled the idea and look at this:

Tools for Grave Digging in the Winter
Digging a grave in the winter is much harder than digging one in the summer. The ground becomes hard and frozen which can damage tools that are not strong enough to break through the frozen ground. Most cemetery or grave digging companies use a variety of tools to dig a grave in such harsh environments.

Heating Blanket
A heating blanket is used to thaw the ground before beginning excavation of a grave. This digging technique is becoming more popular and grave digging tool manufacturers are developing new types of ground heating blankets all the time. The heating blanket is similar to the heating blanket used for a bed, but is completely waterproof. The heating elements run on standard 110 voltage service.

Read more: Tools for Grave Digging in the Winter | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_7824559_tools-grave-digging-winter.html#ixzz1YFUXMnVY

Has anyone heard of any JP sightings?

I think if he actually went to Utah that we would be hearing about it at least through twitter even if he denys interviews.

I don't think I've ever seen a brother interviewed?

I am looking for the interview now. Still looking, but did just find this article which is interesting and mentions the brother:

Jennifer Graves said the idea that Susan had a boyfriend is particularly laughable because those who knew her also knew she couldn’t keep a secret.

“She was such a talker, it would have gotten out,” Jennifer Graves said.

She said her sister-in-law was frustrated that her relationship with Josh Powell lacked intimacy. Susan wanted that to improve, but Josh refused, Jennifer Graves said.

The Graveses also shot down Josh Powell’s assertion that Susan is mentally ill and that Chuck Cox is controlling.

The irony, the Graveses said, is that one of Josh Powell’s brothers has been diagnosed as bipolar and schizophrenic. Steve Powell, they said, is a controlling person who often drives the actions of some of his children. With mental illness running in the family, the Graveses wonder if Josh might be the one suffering from it.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/50609169-78/powell-josh-susan-cox.html.csp?page=4

Hmm..he told the neighbor he had to buy a new quilt. Could the "quilt" have actually been a standard heating blanket..plugged into the generator?

Also,speaking of the neighbor (Peterson)... and this probably isn't the right thread to ask on but I don't know where to put it...
Is there any record of Josh having called his wife on Monday morning or any attempts to check in with her on Monday? I ask because of this quote:

He's kind of in charge. He's in charge of everything: in charge of the computer, in charge of the house, in charge of the kids, in charge of her," Peterson said.

Seems to me, a man that controlling would surely have checked in with her at least once. Perhaps the absence of his doing so, is yet another incriminating factor. (if he had a pattern of talking to her by phone daily)
Jat.

They can call them in for an interrogation, but they can plead the 5th. WVCPD has been building their case without them, so it will be that more damning at trial.

That is the crux of the matter; the police can take a month to dig at the site and even though it is an agonozing wait, it is done right.

Here is the video. Apparently it was his brother-in-law. This info was not on another video I saw yesterday. I changed my mind that he could be involved, as JP's sister has been defending Susan from what I can tell, and not on board with anything SP and JP are doing.
MOO.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0poYm1Bx9hY"]Utah Mom Missing For Full Week. Husband hold press conference but doesn't speak. - YouTube[/ame]

As do I!

Caylee Anthony - they took 8 days to dig around her "burial" even though her body was on top of the ground.

Here is the video. Apparently it was his brother-in-law. This info was not on another video I saw yesterday. I changed my mind that he could be involved, as JP's sister has been defending Susan from what I can tell, and not on board with anything SP and JP are doing.
MOO.

(snipped the video link for space)

Well that was a weird video...Even though the reception wasn't favorable I think maybe not speaking worked better for him after all than all the talking he's doing now...

I've spent from days to weeks working on excavating a burial. And this was without it being a crime scene.

They are not just looking for 'stuff' in the dirt. They also need to document, in detail, any remains while in situ. It's likely being removed centimeters at a time.

If JP is the guilty party, I venture to guess when it came down to it, he had a few places already specifically in mind when he took off that night to go 'camping'. Serious doubt it was a spur of the moment decision, kwim?

There was also just human remains (real ones, not "we think we have them" ones) found 20 minutes from Josh Powell's current residence.

It's also 45 minutes from Lindsey Baum... an hour from Nancy Moyer and there are others.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/29208865/detail.html

Can anyone point me to an earlier similar case where the excavation of a body from a grave took this long? TIA.

Not buried in dirt, just beneath vegetation... but took a week.

It wasn't like Caylee, Brooke was "buried" in vegetation and under a tree.
They also had a guilty plea and sentence already... so preserving evidence would not have been nearly as high of a priority.

Also worth noting that Brooke's parents went up to the scene where the body was found.

Led to the body over the weekend, announced it Monday Sept 21st:

http://www.komonews.com/news/60013937.html

Announced they had finished recovering the body - September 28th:

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/62498637.html

I suppose they could be working on a remote but possible theory that JP doesn't know the body has been moved, and so would do something incriminating upon hearing the news that they have found the grave site and human remains have been found.

MOO.

I suppose he could certainly do something incriminating.

However, these LE are not psychic. They do not have a crystal ball. They don't know what he might do.

I would have had no problem with a tactic like this being used with Doug Stewart, because the kids were taken from him.

Although they could certainly push Josh to do something "incriminating." They have no control over what that might be.

Killing yourself and/or your kids because they are about to find out you killed your wife, is certainly incriminating.

If they want to mess with Josh Powell's mind, then they need to get those kids out of that house first.
If they cannot get the kids out of that house, then they need to not push him.

The more they push him the more likely we are to end up with 2 more victims. :twocents:

OT: Remains found in WA- Interesting how they put "passing through" in quotation marks? Thanks for the link MsFacetious.

Police have found about 100 pieces of what appears to be charred wood with some human decomposition on them.

They are unsure of how long it has been there, but they said it is likely that there was a crime scene at the dig site at some point.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=17284572

WTF? So is that the source of the smell, or is there still something else... and does that mean a body was burned with wood??
I've never burned a body, so I guess it didn't occur to me that there would be wood along with any decomposition/tissue/bones.
And wouldn't that mean if they don't find a body, that someone separated out the body from the wood? I am so confused...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unnamedTV