New Zealand - Christchurch Mosque shooting, dead & injured reported, 15 March 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m from Christchurch and currently live away from there. Tomorrow I’m supposed to be flying there to see my family, attend a concert(it’s now been cancelled) and celebrate my birthday.

Tonight my heart hurts and I’ve been fighting tears all day. I don’t want to go home even to,see my family. I’m scared. I shouldn’t feel scared to go to my hometown.

First earthquakes and now this. But as always Christchurch and New Zealand will rally around and get through it.

Hi Jayne

The mood is pretty positive from what I've seen so far

You know how staunch CHC people are!

I am just trying to widen the debate here.

I am very aware of the scale of the tragedy that has unfolded this morning, but believe me this is going to keep happening unless we are prepared to look at the bigger picture.

That is all.

Pretty sure that, right at this moment, it's not the time to be having any "debate".

Are you from New Zealand?

Today, people from numerous individual countries but who share a religion, demonstrated that they could be harmonious together by praying in the same space. Some of these people came to NZ escaping atrocities in their own countries. Some worked their assess off to make NZ home. Some left other family behind.

At some point, a deranged individual decided that these people threatened his right to exercise the dominance of white people, and chose actions that 99.9% of white people condemn.

Unfortunately the regurgitated conspiracy theory that Muslims are a danger to society is spouted repeatedly in the echo chamber of the internet, and you get nut bars like this who decide to take matters into their own hands.

But really, most of the country feels numb, and sad, and violated tonight. Trying to start a debate is absolutely going to raise hackles. Pop back in a few months, if you must.

Hi Jayne

The mood is pretty positive from what I've seen so far

You know how staunch CHC people are!

You’re right there. Christchurch will get through it and they’ll rally around the Muslim community

I’m just glad my daughter was ok she normally shops at the mall across from the Linwood Mosque shooting and she could hear the gunfire from her house.

Christchurch shooting attacker Brenton Tarrant was a personal trainer in Grafton - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Christchurch mosque gunman Brenton Tarrant worked as a personal trainer at Big River Gym in the northern New South Wales city of Grafton, the ABC can reveal.

Gym manager Tracey Gray confirmed the man who filmed the attack and streamed it online was Tarrant. She said he worked at the gym after he finished school in 2009 until 2011, when he left to go travelling overseas in Asia and in Europe.

"He was a very dedicated personal trainer," Ms Gray said. "He worked in our program that offered free training to kids in the community, and he was very passionate about that."

Ms Gray said Tarrant did not strike her as someone who had an interest in firearms. "I think something must have changed in him during the years he spent travelling overseas," she said.

Tarrant said he worked for a short time before making some money from Bitconnect, a cryptocurrency like Bitcoin, then used the money to fund his travels.

Tarrant is known to have visited Europe, South-East Asia and east Asia. His travels also took him to North Korea, where he was photographed in a tour group visiting the Samjiyon Grand Monument.

SBM

'You Can't Blame PewDiePie': Why New Zealand Shooting is Not The YouTuber's Fault

The sane Internet is trying to explain to the rest of the Internet that PewDiePie had nothing to do with the attack.

Moments before the shooting occurred, the gunman is heard saying, “Remember lads, subscribe to PewDiePie.”

Hours later, PewDiePie, whose real name is Felix Kjellberg, 29-year-old YouTuber and comedian with 89 million subscribers, tweeted, "I feel absolutely sickened having my name uttered by this person. My heart and thoughts go out to the victims, families and everyone affected by this tragedy."

New Zealand PM: Dozens killed in 'terrorist' attack on mosques

SBM

Media portrayal of Muslims is fueling anger against the community according to a 2017 academic research in which 16,000 New Zealanders were surveyed.

Speaking to Al Jazeera from Dunedin, the lead researcher, Dr John Shaver of the University of Otago, said, "Highly educated and leftist-oriented people normally tended to have a positive attitude toward not just Muslims but migrant populations in general."

"Our study found that highly educated people, even those on the left, developed anger towards Muslims through the media. The more they watched the news, the more prejudiced they became."

He was, however, careful to add that New Zealand is a multi-cultural society which is accepting of all groups. "There have been only a handful of incidents in which Muslims were harassed or their properties vandalized.

"Things here are not like they are in Australia, the US or the West," he said.

Overwhelmingly, Dr Shaver said New Zealand media tends to absorb content generated by US and European news outlets without providing context.

"In the western media, the focus is only on the conflicts in the Middle East," he said.

He went on to say that there is very little coverage in the New Zealand media of the Muslim population in country which is very diverse and has a history of more than 100 years.

"Instead of focusing on the domestic Muslim population, the media focuses on violence and looks at the community from a western media lens," he said.

SBM

Q.jpg

Queen Elizabeth II, who is New Zealand's monarch and the head of the Commonwealth, has released a message to the people of the country.

She said she was "deeply saddened" by the news, and paid tribute to emergency services.

Here's the full message:

“I have been deeply saddened by the appalling events in Christchurch today. Prince Philip and I send our condolences to the families and friends of those who have lost their lives.
I also pay tribute to the emergency services and volunteers who are providing support to those who have been injured.
At this tragic time, my thoughts and prayers are with all New Zealanders.
Elizabeth R"

New Zealand: shooting at mosques in Christchurch: Live updates - CNN

Christchurch is my hometown. I'm utterly heartbroken. I don't even know what to say. This kind of thing just never happens here. I'm terrified to take my son to the mall tomorrow. But that's what the terrorists want, for us to be afraid. We can't let hate win. Kia kaha to all my kiwi whanau here.

Who is this Candace Owen person who inspired these attacks? Whoever she is, I hope her business is shut down.

Christchurch shooting: Candace Owens eviscerated for putting a LAUGHING emoji in post about attack | Daily Mail Online
I read the article, she seems like a mouthpiece.. however she was laughing at the response that "She denied being his inspiration on Twitter, responding with 'LOL!' to the claim" not to the attack. Im not sure why she responded like that instead of just condemning him like that Pewdiepie guy.. but atleast it wasnt toward the attack of these innocents.. I think the article was designed for the purpose of your statement of shutting down her business if she is a business owner..

CNN correspondent Anna Coren describes watching the video that shows the shooting. She describes it as one of the "most horrendous things" she's ever seen. It made my blood run cold just listening to it. It's beyond evil.

CNN reporter describes 'horrendous' shooting video - CNN Video

Today I saw 4 people standing around a phone watching the video. They were facing me, I could hear the video. Apparently there was a longish intro of him driving and his guns. Then the shots started but none of their expressions changed. They all continued to stare blankly at the screen.

I asked them if it was showing people literally being shot.

They were like "yep"

I told them I was shocked that none of them were reacting and one said "it's just like you're watching someone play a video game" and another said "I work in healthcare, I've seen a lot of *advertiser censored*..." (unsure of the relevance there, if I'm honest)

Where is this world even headed if people are that desensitised to this level of horror and violence? I just don't understand.

I went to bed to this news and woke up to continue reading about it. The news surrounds me today, and my heart sincerely goes to those on WS who are New Zealanders or have connections to the place. I have nothing but tenderness for you and confidence in you.

May we live in peace, including on this discussion board that we all enjoy visiting so much. May we value and extend hospitality and kindness to each other, especially in the aftermath of a shocking tragedy like this.

I read the article, she seems like a mouthpiece.. however she was laughing at the response that "She denied being his inspiration on Twitter, responding with 'LOL!' to the claim" not to the attack. Im not sure why she responded like that instead of just condemning him like that Pewdiepie guy.. but atleast it wasnt toward the attack of these innocents.. I think the article was designed for the purpose of your statement of shutting down her business if she is a business owner..

I agree her response was not the best. She's relatively new to "punditry" and has a bright future as an advocate. She wants to increase the AA population which is why there is no way she could be his inspiration for his dream of white supremacy.

Who is this Candace Owen person who inspired these attacks? Whoever she is, I hope her business is shut down.

Christchurch shooting: Candace Owens eviscerated for putting a LAUGHING emoji in post about attack | Daily Mail Online
Context is everything.

She didn't inspire any attacks on Islam. She is Loling at the fact that the left thinks she inspired attacks on the mosques because of what some crazed killer said.

I guess one might think the "LOL" is not appropriate at this terrible time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member