New Zealand - Christchurch Mosque shooting, dead & injured reported, 15 March 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sharing video of attack could lead to jail time: police

A 22-year-old man will appear at Christchurch District Court on Monday morning (local time), after being charged with offences under New Zealand's Films Videos and Publications Classification Act.

"This man was arrested by police in the initial stages of the shooting investigation in Christchurch on Friday afternoon, but he is not being charged in relation to the attack. Police at this stage do not believe he was directly involved," they said in a statement.

They also warned people against sharing video of the terror attack, which was live-streamed on social media by the gunman.

"We would like to remind people that it is an offence to distribute or possess an objectionable publication (under the Films Videos and Publications Classifications Act 1993), which carries a penalty of imprisonment. The live stream video of the shootings in Christchurch has been classified by the Chief Censor’s Office as objectionable," police said.

New Zealand terror attack at mosques in Christchurch: Live updates - CNN
This is Freedom of the Press ?.......moo

UK man arrested after pledging support for New Zealand attacker

A 24-year-old man has been arrested over a social media post that supported the terror attack at two mosques in Christchurch.

The man, from the Oldham area in northern England, was arrested on suspicion of sending malicious communications, Greater Manchester Police said in a statement.

“This is a very difficult time for people. The events in New Zealand have reverberated around the world. Many people are in deep shock and are worried," a police spokesman said in a statement.

"It is at times like this that, as a community, we stand together. Where the law permits and people cross the line, we will take robust action, which may include arrest and prosecution," the spokesman added.

New Zealand terror attack at mosques in Christchurch: Live updates - CNN
More New Zealand Freedom of the Press and Freedom of Speech ?...moo

Last edited:
I do not want to politicize such a horrible event but it has raised a question for me, with regard to the british government and other happenings this week.

The uk armed forces by common acknowledgment murdered 14 unarmed and totally innocent people in Bogside 1972
This attracted the staunch defence of armed forces from the government AND also the insistance that northern ireland at that time was a "warzone"

So my question is this

Why is killing innocent people in New Zealand considered a "terrorist" act
But
The killing of innocent people in the bogside looked upon as something different?

I condemn the perpetrators of both and believe that the media need to stop it with the references to "right wing extremists".......that gives these ar5eholes a sense of cause and legitimacy......they are brainless racist idiots and need calling out as such

There is a whole series of threads about gun control that would be a more appropriate place to weigh in with your thoughts about political agendas.

Surely THAT was my whole point?

There should be absolutely nothing political about killing and maiming innocent people ever,regardless of who is doing it

I actively do not want this type of bigoted fool to believe that he is somehow advancing a political cause by being a racist coward!

Murder is murder...it has no colour or politics

Him having a gun licence is neither here nor there....
Stating the obvious but people hell bent on murder tend not to worry themselves about minor concerns such as "do i need a licence for my arsenal" or "i wonder if what i am about to do may be illegal"

It is impossible to legislate your way out of this type of event

My post was not in reply to yours specifically, more in reaction to this thread be derailed and becoming, yet again, a debate about gun control and 2nd Amendment rights etc.

Yep, I'm outta here as I'll just never understand how these avoidable tragedies still happen in civilised society.

Standing strong with New Zealand and still so shocked this happened to you guys.

There is a whole series of threads about gun control that would be a more appropriate place to weigh in with your thoughts about political agendas.

Gun Control Debate #6
Punishing law abiding NZ citizens by banning some firearms (Gun Control) has been brought to the forefront of this tragedy, by the Prime Minister of New Zealand, as a cure for stopping future tragedies of this sort.....Thank you for your caring and sharing, but my thoughts are just as important and relevant as yours on this tragedy...moo

There is a problem with the article, "White Nationalism" is not synonymous with "White Supremacy". Nor are "White Nationalists" psychopathic killers.

White Nationalists are not a "terrorist group or organization" any more than Black Lives Matter.

No one is a psychopathic killer until they actually kill. That doesn't mean that the rhetoric isn't violent. And White Nationalism certainly overlaps with beliefs of supremacy, since separatism where every group has access to their own share of good land and resources isn't usually the goal. Neither is the return of land to indigenous people typically the goal. It's about having the nation for that one group, and they have very specific reasons why. These reasons have to do with a sense of entitlement mixed with mistrust and unwillingness to engage with the "others".

Not sure why Black Lives Matter is being brought up here - it was a movement founded to hold local police and other government agencies accountable for the shootings of unarmed black people. It is not a Nationalist or Supremacist movement. There are other groups that are a better parallel.

It seems that gun law in New Zealand is being debated through the eyes of the USA. Each country has law that reflects the people of the nation, and what is good for one country is not necessarily good for another country.

In New Zealand, there is a loophole in law such that sale of guns that use the larger magazine is restricted, but sale of the larger magazine is not restricted. A semi-automatic gun can be modified and made more powerful by the owner to avoid the more thorough screening process needed to purchase a more powerful gun. It seems like a very good idea to address the loophole with restrictions on larger magazine sales.

At this time, the plan is to debate and act.

"Under New Zealand law, the most common A license allows for the purchase of a semiautomatic rifle with a magazine containing seven bullets. An E license is needed for semiautomatics with larger magazines, and it can only be obtained through a more elaborate process of interviews and references.

There are no restrictions on the purchase of magazines. “Anybody can buy them without a license,” Mr. Healey said. “I thought for a long time you shouldn’t be able to do that.”

On Saturday, the police said the gunman had modified a “category A firearm,” suggesting that he purchased a semiautomatic with the basic license then added magazines with illegal levels of firepower.

Prime Minister Ardern seems to be listening, at least for now, to all sides in the debate. She also seems determined to do what the United States Congress has not, which is to act.​

After Mosque Massacre, New Zealand Has Its Gun-Debate Moment

I know at least one poster earlier in this thread wondered when his trouble with women would be revealed

In Brenton Harrison Tarrant’s Australian hometown, his relatives remember violent video games, trouble with women

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...?utm_term=.1603e657e82b&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1

"In Australian media, a picture began to emerge of a young man who grew up with computers as his best friends, lost in a world of violent video games, uncomfortable around girls. "

...“He spent most of his time on computers, and learning the in and outs of computers, and playing games on computers,” she told 9News.

“I don’t think girlfriends were on the agenda — he said getting married was too hard.”

Fitzgerald said Tarrant’s father death in 2010 took its toll."

Does anyone understand the NZ LE reason for not wanting the manifesto spread? There are obvious reasons like not wanting to spread his racist filth or encouraging copycat attacks. I don't know about their justice system but assume the manifesto will come out at trial anyway right? Just trying to understand their play.

I'm just going to be blunt:

They don't want people watching the video because they don't want them to see how easy it is to do.

They don't want people reading the manifesto because they don't want them becoming aware of the inconvenient truths that are woven throughout it.

I'm just going to be blunt:

They don't want people watching the video because they don't want them to see how easy it is to do.

They don't want people reading the manifesto because they don't want them becoming aware of the inconvenient truths that are woven throughout it.

I don't think anyone needs to watch a video to know that it would be easy to kill unarmed people engaged in prayer.

Are you thinking that one of his "inconvenient truths" is that he is like Nelson Mandela and will be awarded the Nobel Peace prize?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rav17en