GUILTY New Zealand - Dr. Lauren Dickason, 40, charged w/killing her 3 young daughters, Timaru, 16 Sep 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think maybe this will inspire us to just look deeper into the immigration laws in NZ…sounds like you can’t move there if you have a mental illness. Is it because it would be a “strain” on the system, if meds are covered or hospital stays are covered?
Or do they just prefer their new citizens to be neurotypical and healthy as possible?
Sounds discriminatory to me.

Maybe she was on an antipsychotic or a mood stabilizer, which is generally prescribed for those with a mood disorder like bipolar or schizophrenia. The latter being a more serious illness. Though you can still take those if you just have depression. I take an antipsychotic and a mood stabilizer and I’m just a depressed eeyore! But again you couldn’t pay me to go off my meds. Nothing is worth it IMO

Jmo

Untreated, unmedicated people with schizophrenia or Bi Polar disorder do not routinely murder their children. They are not routinely violent. This is the exception. Possible infanticide is not the reason these people are prescribed anti psychotic and mood stabilizing drugs. You won't sell me on the fact that suspending her medications is what turned her into a cruel killer of her own three babies. I have neither empathy nor sympathy for her. Her's was the worst betrayal of all. My opinion.

I think maybe this will inspire us to just look deeper into the immigration laws in NZ…sounds like you can’t move there if you have a mental illness. Is it because it would be a “strain” on the system, if meds are covered or hospital stays are covered?
Or do they just prefer their new citizens to be neurotypical and healthy as possible?

Maybe she was on an antipsychotic or a mood stabilizer, which is generally prescribed for those with a mood disorder like bipolar or schizophrenia. The latter being a more serious illness. Though you can still take those if you just have depression. I take an antipsychotic and a mood stabilizer and I’m just a depressed eeyore! But again you couldn’t pay me to go off my meds. Nothing is worth it IMO

Jmo
Yes, I’ve wondered this since the beginning… why would she have to go off medication to immigrate?!
I immigrated, not to New Zealand, and had to get a chest x-ray and an HIV test and a physical by a Physician but that was it. Nothing was asked about medications.
Is it because New Zealand has a public health care system? But so did the country I moved to…

If she was bipolar or schizophrenic she could not have gone off her medication - that would be beyond irresponsible.
JMO but I think she was on a mood stabilizer and went off willingly and couldn’t handle the stress of her new life. And I have a very hard time empathizing with that opinion at all.

Sorry just want to add this. Even in most countries with a public health care system medications are not necessarily included. Just searching it looks like there are subsidized medications in New Zealand - which she likely wouldn’t qualify for. In any case I can’t imagine a scenario where her husband wouldn’t have coverage for medications through work and obviously these are not people living paycheque to paycheque. So I wonder if she just didn’t want the stigma of being on some kind of mental health medication as they immigrated because she would have to disclose it maybe?

I think if you're on medications for mental health issues, your visa can be denied. I know that can be the case for Australia, so I would think NZ too.

So by going off medications, she wasn't officially lying on the forms and she was downplaying it.

Having said that, the visa would probably have been a skilled migrants visa, which may or may not have had the same questions as other visa categories.

I'm also thinking the lead person on the skilled migrants visa would have been her husband, and that she would have been a spousal visa application?

All just thoughts of course.

MOO.

I think if you're on medications for mental health issues, your visa can be denied. I know that can be the case for Australia, so I would think NZ too.

So by going off medications, she wasn't officially lying on the forms and she was downplaying it.

Having said that, the visa would probably have been a skilled migrants visa, which may or may not have had the same questions as other visa categories.

I'm also thinking the lead person on the skilled migrants visa would have been her husband, and that she would have been a spousal visa application?

All just thoughts of course. /
Gosh half the world probably has depression/ anxiety. Perhaps if one has been hospitalized a few times for depression..that could be a negative for residency in another country.

We don't know if there was any history of hospitalization. I have my doubts as we know she was working full time as a GP in SA before moving to NZ. How could a person with serious mental health issues manage working and being off medication for how long..??

And why go off the meds. If it was part of the deal that I couldn’t take my “chronic” medication anymore, we wouldn’t move. My partner and I wouldn’t move to a place where I couldn’t take my meds.

That’s the part that I’m grappling with. I think it’s safe to assume that they were some kind of psychiatric drug. It was her and her husbands choice to move to a place where she’d have to quit her medication. I bet they thought they could make that call because they’re doctors.
But the privilege. I can’t not think of that. She had so much help and could afford so much help. Then suddenly she has to be your average, isolated, single mother. Normal.

Maybe she loved her kids but didn’t know how to care for them. If they’re in school or daycare all day, then there’s a nanny..I’m just saying. There’s so many parents who really don’t spend much time with their kids. She could have been one of them.
Remember when covid first hit and everyone was making jokes about how awful it was having to be around their kids all day now that school and daycare is closed? There’s some truth to those jokes.
Well said. Probably no longer working affected her too.

Being the parent of a 14-18 year old can be pretty insane too. Jus saying.

You know that. IMO those ages were the worse.

Honestly back then they could have came and justifiably locked me up. Those ages were maddening. I'd have took it as a vacation and put it all on well whoever.

These little girls were so gorgeous. No words to heal the dad.

Jmo
Do you have any links to prove that NZ has discriminatory immigration laws? That is a bold accusation, IMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GemGemma01
Back