GUILTY New Zealand - Dr. Lauren Dickason, 40, charged w/killing her 3 young daughters, Timaru, 16 Sep 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Oh dear. Personally, I don't think she will be found insane.

In the article, it mentions she had searched on her phone about 'how to overdose children' back when they were living in South Africa.

Obviously the New Zealand health screening for their immigration didn't receive any previous psychiatric reports from their family doctor in South Africa. If they had their visas wouldn't have gone ahead.

I wonder how much her husband knew previously and how much was hidden/not mentioned.

Complete speculation, imo rbbm.
My view on what occurred has altered & hardened somewhat and not in a good way after reading some of the details.
The woman did not suddenly go snap, crackle, pop - dare i suggest that the accused was resentful of the children not just because they were a 'handful'' for her to deal with, but because she was jealous of them.

A very average, even plain female who gives birth to three beautiful daughters, might feel exceptionally proud of her gorgeous babies, but a selfish, vain but insecure woman, may resent the ''competition'' for her husband's attention.

''She often commented to friends about the impact the children had on her life and her relationship with her husband.
“She felt that the children favoured Dr Dickason and the Crown says she was resentful for that,” McRae said.''

1689595326192.png
1689595509135.png

1689595244570.png

"She also reportedly made internet searches while in South Africa for how to overdose children."

How bizarre that she's a doctor and would need to search for that information.

I want to add that she seems to lack a sense of what's age-appropriate and normal child development and to lack empathy and compassion for her children. It seems like to her, life was just all about her.

I wonder if there is additional evidence to show another side to her, one that can empathize with others. Does she have remorse? IMO.

Last edited:
"Prosecutor Andrew McRae said that phone messages, which would be used as evidence, showed that Lauren had at times threatened to “smack”, “suffocate” and “murder” her children.'"

Oh my. The writing was on the wall!

I presume these messages may have been to her husband?

Surely sending messages like that would've been huge red flags to him??
Was he in denial about how seriously demented she was?
Was he too busy with his new job as a orthopedic surgeon to fully pay too much attention?

I do think her husband knew far more than he let on.

You have to have your medical records submitted as part of the immigration process to New Zealand, obviously nothing psychiatric was on there, as they wouldn't have been issued employment visas.

I think they may have kept the problems quiet due to being a respected healthcare professionals themselves, and also because it would've scuppered their chances of emigrating.

Imagine if their roles were reversed, and we were talking about the husband writing and doing these same things. What would people be saying differently about the case, and is there a difference?

For me, it's worse that the female did it. Any maternal instinct towards her own children was sorely absent.

There was a long-term lack of motherly behaviour if she'd been googling how to overdose her children long before they'd even left for NZ. That shows evidence of pre-meditated and planned killings.

I wonder if previous miscarriages, and repeated IVF for each child, set some sort of trauma/disorder off?

Maybe she even felt pressured into having children by her husband? If they were unable to conceive naturally, IVF can be financially, physically and mentally draining.
Once the children were born, I wonder if she realised it wasn't what she wanted after all, and begrudged the children even being born, and sought to reverse that decision....?

I think she may have psychological disorders - but I do not believe she is insane. She knew what she was doing and had planned it for a while.

MOO.

"Prosecutor Andrew McRae said that phone messages, which would be used as evidence, showed that Lauren had at times threatened to “smack”, “suffocate” and “murder” her children.'"

Oh my. The writing was on the wall!

I presume these messages may have been to her husband?

Surely sending messages like that would've been huge red flags to him??
Was he in denial about how seriously demented she was?
Was he too busy with his new job as a orthopedic surgeon to fully pay too much attention?

I do think her husband knew far more than he let on.

You have to have your medical records submitted as part of the immigration process to New Zealand, obviously nothing psychiatric was on there, as they wouldn't have been issued employment visas.

I think they may have kept the problems quiet due to being a respected healthcare professionals themselves, and also because it would've scuppered their chances of emigrating.

She wasn’t granted an employment visa, just her husband was.

I normally have a degree of sympathy for cases where there's the possibility of PPP... but reading the liveblog of the trial so far, this seems like nothing like those cases. This 'not a nurturing mother' seems to have loathed her children.

I can't understand why someone would try to have kids so long if she so obviously hated them and didn't want anything to do with the raising of them.

She should have put her money into therapy, not IVF.

MOO

From what has been published so far it seems to me that this women was depressed, highly anxious, overwhelmed and not coping but not “insane”. There hasn’t been evidence so far of psychosis, which I think most of the time needs to be present for this type of defence. I personally don’t think she “snapped” and murdered her children in anger, IMO it is more like she got so worn down and exhausted by it all that she felt she couldn’t go on and this was her option out. So as another poster stated, seems like disordered thinking but not psychosis.

She wasn’t granted an employment visa, just her husband was.
Oh, that's interesting. I wonder what visa she did have, then? A spousal visa?

Perhaps you don't have to declare medical history and provide medical records on spousal visas? Although I'm sure the NZ immigration authorities require it of every visa.

IMO it is more like she got so worn down and exhausted by it all that she felt she couldn’t go on and this was her option out.

I see what you mean, but a person can also just walk away, if she "wants out." IMO resentment seems to have played a role.

She did what she did, waited until her husband came home, said it was too late (so she was aware of what she did), saw his reactions, seemed resigned to it all. IMO.

Let's see what this court system makes of it.

Sorry wrong link. Try this one. Never done this on a phone before. https://www.iol.co.za/lifestyle/hea...children-6e397787-3674-44c3-a6f9-7d8a256e4b2c
Thanks, from link..
''Yates was found to be suffering from postnatal psychosis, in addition to severe postnatal depression and schizophrenia, at the time of the killings, the New York Post reported.''

''In the Dickason case, a New Zealand newspaper reported that according to a former colleague, Dickason had been on chronic medication but stopped taking it because she feared it would affect their immigration application.''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sumzoe24
Back