Found Deceased NEW ZEALAND - Grace Millane, 22, British backpacker, Auckland, 1 Dec 2018 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"British backpacker Grace Millane's body was found naked and contorted in a small suitcase, a court has heard.

On Wednesday, the Crown opened its case saying Grace was strangled by a man she met on a Tinder date. The defence claims her death was an accident during consensual sex."

British backpacker Grace Millane's body forced into suitcase and buried, murder trial told

Also from article:

"Detective Lewis Sin was the officer in charge of Grace's body after it was removed in the suitcase from a shallow grave in West Auckland's Waitakere Ranges.

Sin said the suitcase was sitting in a small puddle with a "light red substance" seeping through.

It was removed from the scene and taken to Auckland mortuary at Auckland City Hospital.

The suitcase, with Grace's body inside, was put into a secure fridge, padlocked and secured overnight ahead of a post mortem examination the following day.

When the suitcase was opened, Sin described seeing a naked woman lying inside in the foetal position.

Two hoop earrings were found inside the suitcase along with a small metal tag with "freedom" written on it."

"Police Detective Evan Ingley was the officer responsible for the recovery of Grace's body and the scene where it was found in the Waitakere Ranges on December 8, 2018.

In his evidence, he said the area on Scenic Drive was identified by data gathered from the suspect's phone, which meant police believed the accused's phone was used in the vicinity.

"We were operating on the information she [Grace] may be found there," he said.

Ingley was concerned about sending too many people to the scene, which may contaminate evidence.

"At this point I wasn't sure where Grace may be, and I wasn't sure what may be on the ground," he told the jury.

He told his Constable: "If you identify anything of interest, I need you to take a photograph so I don't contaminate the scene."

There was an apparent entry point into the bush, directly to the right of the car park, the court was told.

Ingley described the area as a rainforest - quite steep and dense bush."

Grace Millane murder trial: British backpacker's body found in suitcase in shallow Auckland grave

"Detective Evan Ingley went to the scene where Grace's body was found and a full examination was carried out.

The night before he attended, an area of disturbed bush had been identified by police.

"To me it looked like the bush had been broken or trampled. It was clear it was different. I shut down the scene," he said.

When he arrived that morning, a "clean" scene had been established, alongside a "hot zone" where the potential burial site was.

"I walked into the scene - myself, two scientists, and a police photographer - fully donned with clean examination gear to take photographs and make an assessment of what we were actually looking at.

"This was the area that had been identified by other officers the night before," he confirmed to the jury.

The burial site was "not too far" from the corner of the gravel entrance - only 10 or 15 metres.

"As soon as you had entered the track you could see the general area of ferns, ponga trees, native bush that looked like they had been broken off and placed on top of an area 2m by 1.5 metre," he said.

"They had been piled on there haphazardly.""

Grace Millane murder trial: British backpacker's body found in suitcase in shallow Auckland grave

"After the lunch break, Crown Solicitor Brian Dickey resumed his line of questioning to Detective Evan Ingley about what happened when the suitcase containing Grace's body was found.

The suitcase was discovered around 4.33pm, he said.

"It was discussed that the best course of action was to lift the suitcase out and flip it 180 degrees onto its back - the strongest point."

From there, it was placed on a clear, sterile sheet and taken away from the burial site on a stretcher.

Ingley said he was standing next to an on-scene doctor when the suitcase was settled on a table.

"He opened the case, a little, I was next to him," he told the jury.

"I could see a small area of what I believed to be flesh. From that point he [the doctor] believed there were human remains in the suitcase.""

"Under cross-examination, defence lawyer Ian Brookie confirmed with Detective Evan Ingley what had led to the scene discovery on Scenic Drive.

Brookie put to Ingley that it was the accused who confirmed the address was correct - rather than a patrol or investigation by police.

"Presumably you thought this was a result of information given to police by the defendant," he said.

Ingley said he wasn't sure but that sounded correct.

"As at 2pm when you were dispatched, you did not have a particular site that was targetted," Brookie said.

The accused arrived just after 9pm with police officers to the scene, the court heard."

"David Millane occasionally glanced across at the man accused of Grace's murder. Gillian Millane winced as a police officer described how her daughter's body was positioned in the suitcase uncovered in a shallow grave.

Despite the agonising details about what happened in their daughter's final hours, the Millanes sat dignified, closely following the evidence from the back of the room."

Millane suspect 'went on date while body in room'

"The court also heard another woman who met the accused on Tinder was contacted again on December 1 by him.

That woman, who has name suppression, previously met up with the accused and had sex with him.

"He positioned himself on her face to prevent her from breathing. She wriggled and waved her hands," McCoubrey said.

She played dead for 15 seconds in the hope it would stop.

She thinks the accused knew she was in a fight for her breath, McCoubrey said.

"He deliberately continued to apply pressure to her even though he knew she couldn't breathe," McCoubrey said.

The Crown said this showed the accused had a tendency to engage in this type of activity."

Grace Millane murder trial: British backpacker was strangled to death by Tinder date, Crown says

"The court also heard another woman who met the accused on Tinder was contacted again on December 1 by him.

That woman, who has name suppression, previously met up with the accused and had sex with him.

"He positioned himself on her face to prevent her from breathing. She wriggled and waved her hands," McCoubrey said.

She played dead for 15 seconds in the hope it would stop.

She thinks the accused knew she was in a fight for her breath, McCoubrey said.

"He deliberately continued to apply pressure to her even though he knew she couldn't breathe," McCoubrey said.

The Crown said this showed the accused had a tendency to engage in this type of activity."

Grace Millane murder trial: British backpacker was strangled to death by Tinder date, Crown says

Wow - so this is great evidence that the attack was not consensual

Brookie adds: "Defence not saying Miss Millane is to blame. While his (defendant's) actions caused her death he is not to blame, although he may blame himself. And he is not criminally responsible. Put simply this was an accident. He certainly didn’t murder her."

This is obvious nonsense.

It is not accidental when he admits he intentionally choked the life out of her

I’ve been reading our online papers here in the uk about poor Grace. How horrifying for her family having to hear this :(
What is also so scary to see is the amount of cases that now have men claiming their spouse/partner/hook up have died during ‘rough sex’. I feel this is going to be used as an excuse more and more as time goes on.

Thanks for all the updates. I couldn't sleep last night as was following this case for live updates. Its just so so awful and sadistic. I wonder what the story is that the judge said is wrong - almost everything described in the openers was already released by the press when it happened

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove