UK- Major incident declared in Southport after multiple stabbings, 29 July 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
A youth from Banks was charged with murdering the youngsters overnight. He appeared before Liverpool Magistrates' Court this morning, Thursday, to face these charges, as well as 10 counts of attempted murder - in which two of the complainants were named as Leanne Lucas and John Hayes - and possession of a bladed article in a public place, namely a kitchen knife with a curved blade.

The boy's name, date of birth and address were put to him by the court clerk
he did not speak at any point and covered his face with the jumper of his prison issue tracksuit as he entered and exited courtroom 36 before sitting with his head bowed in the dock.
He has not yet been asked to enter any pleas, and was remanded into custody ahead of a further appearance before Liverpool Crown Court later today.

"The boy's name, date of birth and address
were put to him by the court clerk,
although he did not speak at any point
and covered his face with the jumper of his prison issue tracksuit
as he entered and exited courtroom 36
before sitting with his head bowed in the dock.

He has not yet been asked to enter any pleas,
and was remanded into custody
ahead of a further appearance
before Liverpool Crown Court later today."

Last edited:
"The boy's name, date of birth and address
were put to him by the court clerk,
although he did not speak at any point
and covered his face with the jumper of his prison issue tracksuit
as he entered and exited courtroom 36
before sitting with his head bowed in the dock.

He has not yet been asked to enter any pleas,
and was remanded into custody
ahead of a further appearance
before Liverpool Crown Court later today."

How is he allowed to cover his face in court? JMO

It’s crazy people are banging on about naming him - that’s the law and it is correct.
I do expect that as this progresses through the court system he will be named as he will at that point 18 (7th august) so 6 more days.
He’s back in Liverpool Crown a court later today.

just a heads up that several posts online which i have seen naming this suspect are categorically wrong!...all will be revealed in the fullness of time i suppose
Completely agree.
Although the name & family I have seen today is new.
It obviously won’t stop the racist agenda of some people though.
Yes, it will all come out in time. JMO

18 next week. I hope, that if he is found guilty, he doesn't get too much consideration on the fact he was legally a minor at the time.

Interesting that he was part of a theatre group, that suddenly makes a dance class seem less obscenely random

10:53Patrick Edrich

Everyone assembled in crown court​

We are now in place in the crown court, where there are again around 20 journalists amassed in the public gallery.
Proceedings will soon begin.

11:07Patrick Edrich

Counsel change ahead of crown appearance​

Ms Heer will again be appearing for the prosecution during the crown court hearing, while the defendant will be represented by Paul Becker.
We will have further updates as and when the case is called on.

11:32Patrick Edrich

Slight delay in proceedings​

We're just waiting for proceedings to get going again.
We understand the defence counsel is currently speaking with the teenager.
11:42Patrick Edrich

Court has reassembled​

The court is now being assembled, with the prosecution and defence counsel in position.

11:45Patrick Edrich

Defendant in the dock covering his mouth​

Judge Menary enters the courtroom.
The defendant is brought into the dock, surrounded by three members of staff, again covering his mouth and nose with his jumper.
He is asked to confirm his name but does not speak, and then sits with his head bowed.

11:49Patrick Edrich

Recorder of Liverpool asks defendant to identify himself​

Judge Menary asks whether the youth is able to "acknowledge his identity in some way, even by nodding".
He remains sitting with his head bowed in the dock.
Mr Becker says: "Mr Whitehead has been with the defendant since his arrest. It is the same person as has been arrested and has been in the police station and lower court."
Judge Menary replies: "I am satisfied he is who he appears to be."
The hearing can now begin.

11:54Patrick Edrich

Injured children will receive anonymity in proceedings​

Ms Heer outlines the charges before the court again.
Ms Heer says: “The defendant appeared before the youth court this morning when his case was sent to the crown court for trial. He was remanded in youth detention accommodation. He had the benefit in the court below of reporting restrictions under Section 49 of the Children and Young Persons Act of 1933.
"I should indicate that the prosecution will apply for two reporting restrictions, first in respect of the defendant and secondly in respect of the children who are named as injured parties in the attempted murder count."
Ms Heer says there is "no objection" to the latter.
This order is therefore made by the judge.

12:11Patrick Edrich

Discussions about reporting restrictions ongoing​

Both the prosecution and defence are making arguments regarding reporting restrictions.
We are unable to publish these.
12:25Patrick Edrich

The ECHO can name the suspect as Axel Rudakubana​

After hearing submissions, Judge Menary declines to make an order under Section 45 concerning the defendant’s identity.
The Echo can therefore reveal that his name is Axel Rudakubana.
12:32Patrick Edrich

Rudakubana remanded into custody​

Judge Menary formally remands Rudakubana, whose 18th birthday would have fallen on Wednesday next week, into custody and tells him: "You are remanded into youth accommodation detention until proceedings are completed. I am not granting you bail today."
Live updates as Southport stabbing suspect named in court

The 17-year-old charged with murdering three young girls at a Taylor Swift themed holiday club in Southport can be named as Axel Muganwa Rudakubana, after reporting restrictions were lifted.

Reporting from outside the court, crime correspondent Martin Brunt says the judge listened to legal argument for 20 minutes before ruling that Rudakubana's identity could be revealed.

"It is unusual because, strictly speaking, under the law, anybody who is younger than 18 has the protection of the law and can't be named," says Brunt.

"So from the moment we knew that a 17-year-old had been arrested as the suspect, even though eventually, we worked out his identity, we were still prevented from naming him.

He added: "It's a rare thing, but clearly the judge has been persuaded by the legal arguments."

Potential trial date scheduled​

A potential trial date is scheduled for January 20 next year, “allowing for a number of weeks if required”.

A plea hearing is meanwhile set for October 25.
Judge Menary: “Mr Rudakubana, I am going to adjourn this matter now. The next hearing as far as you are concerned is a plea and trial preparation hearing on October 25.
“You, as I have already indicated, will now be remanded into secure accommodation. You may go with the officer.”
The boy again covers his face with his grey prison issue jumper as he is led to the cells.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pbarch
Back