GA - Winder - Apalachee High School school shooting, 4 dead, 9 injured *father and son arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm curious about this whole school safety plan they are using instead... Maybe it might include the technology alert buttons I linked in a previous post??

A student quoted in that article stated, “Police do not prevent harm, they show up once harm has already been done (and) they do not have a sense of restorative justice,” said Jose Navarro, a senior at Curie High School. “Police are not keeping you safe, communities keep you safe.”

ETA: I just read the following news report stating one school in Chicago as been using the tech alert badges for a couple of years.

Yet, in an emergency, that student you quoted and every other will pick up their phone and call 911 for help, not their community. moo Their concern for restorative justice will take a backseat to their desire to live.

His poor siblings.
With how society is today, sometimes I think adults should have to apply for a permit if they want to have a baby. Prove that they are stable, capable and financially able to raise a healthy, child in a safe and loving environment. I once tried to adopt a pet and some of the requirements were, an application, visits to the home, a fenced yard, past history of other pets, how they died, along with veterinary records. Surely a human being deserves better. IMO

I really think that there is something wrong with the father/son dynamic here. The father seems "tough guy" macho type. The son, not so much. Especially based on issues that he was teased about his small stature, sexuality.

I wonder if the father kept giving CG inappropriate gifts, like guns, to "man him up". And finally, CG just decided to go "shooting" in some misguided effort to please his father. To "prove" something.

The situation about the "blooding" seems particularly gruesome, if CG was delicate, and not into this type of brutality. I don't know CG or his father, but I have seen a similar dynamic occur often when teens are not "cookie cutter" facsimiles of their parents. The parents keep trying to fit their children into some sort of mold, to change them.

And it ends up with some very damaged teens.

We ( general public) were not there with them through out the last 14-15 years.
We have no idea what life was like, who was the trouble maker in their relationship. Was it just one or the other or both? on different days.

Maybe something happened that morning between the two, maybe not.
Maybe there is more to it that we don’t know yet.

It’s sad all the way around.

4 lives lost for what?

I understand the arguments being discussed here re: the culpability of Colt's parent(s), the legal morass surrounding it, the lack of mental help intervention, etc.

The FBI/LE went to talk to Colt and his dad about school threats. After that/later that same year, Colin bought Colt an AR-15. To me that reeks of Colin snubbing or rebelling against "government interference" in their personal lives. (Very much MOO.) Now multiple people are dead. I absolutely feel that in this particular case, Colin bears a large responsibility (along with Colt).

I also feel like the victims (the murdered, the wounded, the forevermore traumatized witnesses) are being minimized in the conversation.

MOO.

I'm curious about this whole school safety plan they are using instead... Maybe it might include the technology alert buttons I linked in a previous post??

A student quoted in that article stated, “Police do not prevent harm, they show up once harm has already been done (and) they do not have a sense of restorative justice,” said Jose Navarro, a senior at Curie High School. “Police are not keeping you safe, communities keep you safe.”

ETA: I just read the following news report stating one school in Chicago as been using the tech alert badges for a couple of years.

This article refers to Suburban Chicago area schools. There is huge difference between Suburban school districts and City of Chicago Public Schools, based on their Administrations.

Suburban School District Boards are elected School Board Members, representing smaller geographic area's. Chicago Public School Board Members are Political Appointments.

There is so much more I'd like to point out, but it gets very political which I know is off limits here!

JMO

Last edited:

"Both Colt Gray and Colin Gray appeared before a Barrow County judge on Friday morning. Attorneys for neither of them requested bond, meaning both will remain in custody.

DA Smith says prosecutors plan to present their case against both of them before a grand jury on October 17."

Also, the grandfather is quoted in the article:
"He says Colt Gray’s household was unstable and both of his parents battled substance abuse issues."

(AP) - It was just the two of them, the teenager and his father, since an eviction a year earlier ended with the boy’s parents parting ways in a separation that fractured the entire family.

That’s what Colin Gray told a Georgia sheriff’s investigator who came to his door in May 2023 asking whether an online threat to commit a school shooting had been posted by his son, Colt.

“I don’t know anything about him saying (expletive) like that,” Gray told Jackson County sheriff’s investigator Daniel Miller, according to a transcript of their interview obtained by The Associated Press. “I’m going to be mad as hell if he did, and then all the guns will go away.”

Now both Colt, 14, and Colin Gray, 54, are charged in the killings of two students and two teachers Wednesday at Apalachee High School in Barrow County, outside Atlanta. Nine others were hurt, seven of them shot. The Grays appeared Friday for the first time in court, where their attorneys declined to immediately seek bail.

Full story at link...

Updated: 8 hours ago

The four victims of Wednesday's mass shooting in Winder, Ga., were crucial to the interwoven fabric of a high school. Some taught math and football. Others dreamed of what they would do one day as grownups. All of those who lost their lives in the Apalachee High School attack were loved in their families and community.

The violence came just after the school had completed its first month of the new school year. The Georgia Bureau of Investigation has identified the dead as students Christian Angulo, 14, and Mason Schermerhorn, 14, and teachers Richard Aspinwall, 39, and Cristina Irimie, 53.

At least nine other people were injured and taken to the hospital for treatment.

Richard “Ricky” Aspinwall​

1725740745080.png

Aspinwall was a math teacher who also coached football at Apalachee. He and his wife, Shayna, formerly taught together at Mountain View High School. The couple have two young daughters.

Aspinwall’s friends and colleagues are mourning a well-liked and respected coach who specialized in defense. His former players describe him as a role model who took a deep interest in their futures.

Cristina Irimie​

1725740864102.png

Irimie, a math teacher at Apalachee High School, was loved by many and cared deeply for her students. Her loss is especially heartbreaking for Gabrielle Buth, one of her good friends.

Irimie's birthday just passed on Aug. 24, so to celebrate she baked a cake and brought pizza for her class on the day she died "so she could celebrate with her kids," Buth said. That is just the kind of person Irimie was, she said.

UPDATED SEPTEMBER 5, 2024

'I lied.' A teacher describes protecting her students during Apalachee HS shooting​

SEPTEMBER 7, 20242:17 PM ET

Georgia is required by law to hold active shooter drills. When an active shooter arrived at Apalachee High School this week, that training kicked in for many teachers and students there.

In a gut-wrenching account shared widely on social media, Jennifer Carter, who for more than 20 years has taught Spanish at the school in Winder, Ga., described her horrific experience of putting into motion her preparation for a moment she hoped would never come.

“It was the worst 20 minutes of my career,” she wrote in a post on Facebook late Wednesday night, hours after the attack.

'I lied.' A teacher describes protecting her students during Apalachee HS shooting

I really think that there is something wrong with the father/son dynamic here. The father seems "tough guy" macho type. The son, not so much. Especially based on issues that he was teased about his small stature, sexuality.

I wonder if the father kept giving CG inappropriate gifts, like guns, to "man him up". And finally, CG just decided to go "shooting" in some misguided effort to please his father. To "prove" something.

The situation about the "blooding" seems particularly gruesome, if CG was delicate, and not into this type of brutality. I don't know CG or his father, but I have seen a similar dynamic occur often when teens are not "cookie cutter" facsimiles of their parents. The parents keep trying to fit their children into some sort of mold, to change them.

And it ends up with some very damaged teens.
And, if they make it that far, some very damaged adults!

We had discussion relative to cell phone use during emergencies. If I recall, local LE recommended to attempt to minimize call volume so as to ensure emergency services had good cell service.

Now, I don't know too much about all this, how many phone calls/texts does it take to overwhelm say, the Verizon network, in a given area. Our High School and Middle School comprised near 2,000 students. If half of them began texting back and forth, would that affect the network(s), slowing down or preventing service?

Another extremely serious concern was call sounds alerting a potential intruder, phones ringing, message notifications, etc. This issue trumped all others in terms of training for armed intruder in the building. Indeed, it was thought to be potentially deadly.

I had the honor of being a sweeper. This term was used for teams of men trained to go throughout the building in armed intruder drills, "sweeping" the entire building for students caught in compromising areas, not able to be behind a locked classroom door. Those in the bathroom, hallway, gym, auditorium, etc.

The greatest challenge was going in to lockdown during lunch, when 300 students were in the cafeteria, and the drill went down.

To shed a bit more light on the training, my good friend was charged with being the contact, in a secure area, with radio. We even had contingency plans in the event his was killed, so as to provide for continued communication.

Lastly, local LE trained extensively, in the building(s), and we trained with them. Consider this, how were they to know, when they entered the building, who WE are, and not mistake US for the intruder? Serious questions, and serious training. Brutal.

I'll never change my opinion on prevention of arms entering a public school building, whatever the cost to do so. Never.

Snippet from the article posted by @arielilane from www.kcbd.com

“He gets flustered and under pressure. He doesn’t really think straight,” Colin Gray told the investigator on May 21, 2023, recalling a discussion he’d had with the boy’s principal.

IMO this is enough of a warning, or should have been, to the father.

In trying to explain to the FBI or to the principal that his son is a decent kid who’s been through a lot of family heartache and turmoil, he explains that his son “doesn’t really think straight.”

If that is true, and not just rambling talk to get his son out of trouble, the very notion of buying a gun for a barely teenaged boy who “doesn’t really think straight” is preposterous.

I blame CG because he committed the murders, but I blame the father, too.

If he were entirely unaware of his son’s proclivities, I would not blame him. But knowing this and buying him a gun, AFTER the FBI has questioned both you and your son….IMO the father is definitely culpable as well.

JMO

Last edited:

'I lied.' A teacher describes protecting her students during Apalachee HS shooting​

SEPTEMBER 7, 20242:17 PM ET

Georgia is required by law to hold active shooter drills. When an active shooter arrived at Apalachee High School this week, that training kicked in for many teachers and students there.

In a gut-wrenching account shared widely on social media, Jennifer Carter, who for more than 20 years has taught Spanish at the school in Winder, Ga., described her horrific experience of putting into motion her preparation for a moment she hoped would never come.

“It was the worst 20 minutes of my career,” she wrote in a post on Facebook late Wednesday night, hours after the attack.

'I lied.' A teacher describes protecting her students during Apalachee HS shooting

Her account made me cry.

School shootings are not normal, should never be normal. What kind of craziness are we as a country asking our students and teachers to train for repeatedly so that one day, when it's not a drill, they will have a plan of action?

This is insanity.

MOO.

Snippet from the article posted by @arielilane from www.kcbd.com

“He gets flustered and under pressure. He doesn’t really think straight,” Colin Gray told the investigator on May 21, 2023, recalling a discussion he’d had with the boy’s principal.

IMO this is enough of a warning, or should have been, to the father.

In trying to explain to the FBI or to the principal that his son is a decent kid who’s been through a lot of family heartache and turmoil, he explains that his son “doesn’t really think straight.”

If that is true, and not just rambling talk to get his son out of trouble, the very notion of buying a gun for a barely teenaged boy who “doesn’t really think straight” is preposterous.

I blame CG because he committed the murders, but I blame the father, too.

If he were entirely unaware of his son’s proclivities, I would not blame him. But knowing this and buying him a gun, AFTER the FBI has questioned both you and your son….IMO the father is definitely culpable as well.

And not just buying his son firearms but what is the damn problem parents have about locking them up?

In this case the father was all into taking his son hunting. OK. Then when back home unload gun and lock up the ammo then lock up the gun. Lock each separately so if kid gets one or the other he still cannot shoot the firearm.

The Crumbley parents in MI did the same thing. Bought a gun as a Christmas present and took him target shooting but did not lock up the ammo and gun.

I see not locking up the gun and ammo as one of the biggest problems.

I will bet there are some really good gun safes that can only be opened with a fingerprint. People will lock up their darn phones using a fingerprint to access it or like my phone pharmacy app wants me to use my fingerprint, etc....

So people will do stuff like this, lock up digital material using their thumb or finger print, then just stick their gun in the bedroom closet and maybe stick the ammo in their drawer under their underware.

Utter nonsense.

2 Cents

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cancerkilla