New Zealand - Yanfei Bao, 44, Real Estate Agent - Christchurch, South Island 19 July 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Police 'do not believe' Yanfei Bao is alive, homicide probe launched

The search for Christchurch real estate agent Yanfei Bao, who disappeared while door-knocking in Wigram last Wednesday, has been upgraded to a homicide investigation police announced this afternoon.

"We have today informed Ms Bao's loved ones of the development, and we know it is the news they did not want to hear," Detective Inspector Nicola Reeves said in a media conference.

"Our thoughts are with them, and her family is receiving support from police and victim support."

Cont...

Reeves said the missing person case was upgraded to a homicide investigation following "developments over the last couple of days".

"I do not believe she is alive."

Reeves said investigators and Institute of Environmental Science and Research (ESR) staff have, for the past few days, been combing through a home which had been listed for sale on Trevor St, in Hornsby, which "is of significant interest to us"

"The scene examination of Trevor St started yesterday morning. There’s a number of aspects to that investigation that will take place. There is significant information and concern that’s come from that address that – I won’t go into what I think has happened at that address – just that it is of significance to us and has certainly helped shape the investigation now."

Reeves also issued an appeal for any information on the movements of Bao's car – a Silver Nissan Dualis PKT556 – which was was last seen on Trevor St just before 12.30pm on July 19, and when the vehicle was found on Iroquois Pl at 10.45pm that night.

The other vehicle of interest in the case, a silver Mitsubishi sedan with the registration DPH101, was also spotted at the Trevor St address at the same time as Bao's car.

Last edited:
Looks like YB was showing the Trevor St house to the accused on Wednesday 12.30 since their cars were there at the same time. He was likely the person talking about transferring money for the purchase from China (that clue given by her friend to LE was good start point)

Something awful went down in that house...at some point he moved her car to Iroquois where it was later found

Neighbour reported seeing his car at Trevor St 2 days last week...guess he was cleaning up

The alleged kidnapper had rented a room at a property in Bryndwr for about a month.

A neighbour said the same silver car the police wanted information on was always at the property, but was not there on Wednesday or Thursday. However, it was parked across the driveway on Friday with the boot and doors open for several hours. It was gone the following day, she said

Wed/Thurs at Trevor St and around suburbs looking for disposal site

Friday - airing out!

Saturday - to airport

Last edited:
So sad to see the news that they've upgraded to a homicide investigation. Feel gutted for Yanfei's family, especially her daughter.

And thanks for keeping the thread updated and for summarizing what we know so far, hazel324. So shocking and sad to think it was an ordinary day for Yanfei and then it suddenly took a big turn.

So sad to see the news that they've upgraded to a homicide investigation. Feel gutted for Yanfei's family, especially her daughter.

And thanks for keeping the thread updated and for summarizing what we know so far, hazel324. So shocking and sad to think it was an ordinary day for Yanfei and then it suddenly took a big turn.

Thank you Tazza, am so sad for her family here and can imagine how devastated her parents and sister are in China :(

Very sad to hear.

I imagine that, by now, the police have been able to track the cars movements through CCTV. They may know when the car was in a certain area for long enough for a person to try to dispose of/conceal evidence (including YB herself).

Since I saw where the car had been that day, I have been wondering if evidence has been disposed of in more than one place.
Or if the accused had gone to a first place, and decided it was too visible/overlooked/difficult, so had then gone to a subsequent place(s) that was more private.
The phone location versus where they are searching for a body points to your first suggestion, that evidence has been disposed of in more than one place.

1690357896349.png

Cont...

Reeves said the missing person case was upgraded to a homicide investigation following "developments over the last couple of days".

"I do not believe she is alive."

Reeves said investigators and Institute of Environmental Science and Research (ESR) staff have, for the past few days, been combing through a home which had been listed for sale on Trevor St, in Hornsby, which "is of significant interest to us"

"The scene examination of Trevor St started yesterday morning. There’s a number of aspects to that investigation that will take place. There is significant information and concern that’s come from that address that – I won’t go into what I think has happened at that address – just that it is of significance to us and has certainly helped shape the investigation now."

Reeves also issued an appeal for any information on the movements of Bao's car – a Silver Nissan Dualis PKT556 – which was was last seen on Trevor St just before 12.30pm on July 19, and when the vehicle was found on Iroquois Pl at 10.45pm that night.

The other vehicle of interest in the case, a silver Mitsubishi sedan with the registration DPH101, was also spotted at the Trevor St address at the same time as Bao's car.
There must be enough of her blood in the house that she could not survive without medical attention. Otherwise, without a body, it's impossible to say that it is a homicide.

From reading comments, it does sound like he spent two days in different areas, and we know the phone was found far from where they are searching for a body. Maybe he used a weapon and put it in a different location from the phone and the body search area?

Attachments

• 1690358852088.png
    1690358852088.png
    809 KB · Views: 7
  • 1690358881974.png
    1690358881974.png
    940.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 1690358908867.png
    1690358908867.png
    298 KB · Views: 7
“We’ve always held grave concerns for her wellbeing, but as the week has progressed, and in particular developments over the last couple of days, we are now launching a homicide investigation.

“We have today informed Ms Bao’s loved ones of the development, and we know it is the news that they did not want to hear. Our thoughts are with them.”

Reeves would not say why police now believed Bao had been killed

Reeves said the Trevor St property remained of “significant interest” to the investigation.

She would not say if she believed Bao had been killed there, or taken from there.

“I won't go into what I think has happened at that address, just that it is of significant interest to us and has certainly helped shape the investigation now.”

Not that killers use a lot of thought processes but it seems gutsy and unwise for him to have murdered Ms. Bao in an unoccupied house, if that's what happened. The neighbors would know it's unoccupied, there may be fewer window coverings (when owners moved or for staging the house for sale), the water may have been temporarily shut off (nobody living there at the time), and others could have walked in at any time (other realtors showing the house). MOO and based on how real estate might be handled for sale in the US; I am assuming there may be similar processes in NZ.

My condolences to Ms. Bao's family and friends.

Not that killers use a lot of thought processes but it seems gutsy and unwise for him to have murdered Ms. Bao in an unoccupied house, if that's what happened. The neighbors would know it's unoccupied, there may be fewer window coverings (when owners moved or for staging the house for sale), the water may have been temporarily shut off (nobody living there at the time), and others could have walked in at any time (other realtors showing the house). MOO and based on how real estate might be handled for sale in the US; I am assuming there may be similar processes in NZ.

My condolences to Ms. Bao's family and friends.

Absolutely...it was gutsy that he spent so much time in that house (according to neighbour placing his car in that street over 2 days! Press have been speaking to neighbours and reported no-one was actually seen at the property

Another real estate agent could have turned up at any time with a viewer...house was to be auctioned this week!

Just adding in NZ utilities rarely get shut off temporarily - when for sale or rent if unoccupied it just gets left on - some things are just more cruisy here

Why does it take so long to release the name of the individual arrested for kidnapping?
Not sure where you are Teche - it's a 'thing' in New Zealand for lawyers to request name suppression...initially to give the accused time to have family etc notified

Sometimes it goes on and on and on...the guy who murdered Grace Millane had name suppression for ages - I believe because there were other charges pending and so as not to prejudice his case. I won't go into another high profile crime in Chch suffice to say 2 disgusting individuals managed to keep name suppression for years while awaiting trial - innocent til proven guilty!

Could there be video evidence of some kind?

Just moo - I'm doubting there was cam inside house but I am positive they have cctv evidence to prove the accused and Yanfei were in house at same time. Also showing comings and goings of him f'sure

Also sure LE has good forensic evidence to make this open & shut case - even if they never find her I am confident they will convict

I’m horribly saddend but not surprised at where the investigation has led.

My hope is that LE can bring Yanfei home to her loved ones sooner rather than later.

Thinking of her husband and little girl is heartbreaking, also hearing how devastated her family in China were on learning of disappearance - feeling so sad for them too

I'm thinking now they are too bereft to be concerned about conjecture but still feel uncomfortable to say...I think killer spent all night at Trevor St making preparations for easier disposal of remains

Based on amount of time his car was parked in Trevor St, corroborated by neighbour where he lived saying car wasn't there for 2 days. Fri car thoroughly aired out. It is sickening to think that, on top of what the family has already endured, she may not be returned... (literally I can't write the words and have tears thinking of beautiful Yanfei and what happened to her)

3 segments with updated info in bold...

Open home event held at house at centre of missing real estate agent investigation

An open home was held at a Christchurch property where missing real estate agent Yanfei Bao was either allegedly killed or kidnapped days earlier.

Police visited the house in Trevor St, Hornby on Thursday last week, the day after the 44-year-old disappeared, after learning she had been due to show it to a prospective buyer.

However, they found no obvious sign of anything sinister, and allowed Harcourts to continue to market it –which included an open home on Sunday afternoon.

The property has since become the focus of an intense forensic examination, and the centre of what is now a homicide inquiry.

A 52-year-old man who was arrested at Christchurch Airport on Saturday with no bags and a one-way ticket to Shanghai, China, has been charged with kidnapping. Police have said further charges are likely.

The Trevor St property at the centre of the homicide investigation into Yanfei Bao’s disappearance.

PETER MEECHAM/STUFF
The Trevor St property at the centre of the homicide investigation into Yanfei Bao’s disappearance.

Early in the investigation, police said the last sighting of Bao was while she was out door-knocking for her work in Vickerys Rd, Wigram.

However, police have been unable to verify the sighting, which now appears to be a red herring.

On Wednesday, Detective Inspector Nicola Reeves said Bao was last seen in Trevor St shortly before 10am on the day she disappeared.

Her silver Nissan Dualis, registration PKT 556 was in the street, and police want to know what time it left, and are keen for sightings of it from 12.30pm.

The car was found in Iroquois Pl, Wigram about 10.45pm that day, hours after she failed to pick up her 9-year-old daughter from after school care and was reported missing.

Police seized the Trevor St property under search warrant on Sunday afternoon, shortly after prospective buyers had looked around it during the open home event.

It’s unclear what led detectives back to the property, and to make it the centre of their investigation.

On Thursday, Reeves said: “The investigation was exclusively a missing person enquiry up until Wednesday when it was elevated to a homicide investigation.

“Over the intervening period, police were investigating several possible lines of inquiry and as a result, certain locations became of interest as the available information evolved.”

Prior to visiting the Trevor St property last Wednesday, it’s believed Bao contacted the listing agent to let them know she wanted to show someone through, and to obtain the lock box code.

The property was due to go to auction this week, but the sale is now on hold.

Reeves previously confirmed a silver Mitsubishi sedan, registration DPH 101, belonging to the man accused of kidnapping Bao, was seen in Trevor St on the day she disappeared.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Backhand
Back