GUILTY NH - Abby Hernandez, 14, North Conway, 9 Oct 2013 - #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am so thankful that the victim does not have to go through a trial. I listened to her victim impact statement on WMUR and she was eloquent and brave. I hope that she can piece her life back together.
I am from the vicinity and have followed this case since the victim disappeared. This is the case that brought me to websleuths. I was shocked to find out that she had been held in Kibby's home less than 1/2 mile from my parents. I was up there this weekend, and drove by the trailer park Kibby lived in, and thought about the victim and hoped for this outcome.
Thank god it's over..if it can ever be over.

I have to wonder how that female attorney could even stomach him all this time.

I wish the words would come.......but they don't. I heard the pain in her mom's voice. I thought I heard a distance, in AH, like there was no spark there. I hope it was a matter of trying to maintain composure, and that she does have that spark inside.
As things come to a close, I have to remind myself that it is not over for her. She still needs our prayers and best wishes. Even if she never knows that we are thinking of her as she moves forward.

"My name doesn't mean the same thing anymore...some people might call you a monster but I've always looked at you as human...there are certain aspects of my freedom that I can never get back...I never look at sunshine the same way..."

What a statement. You found your way home, AH!

I have so many, and yet so few, words. I am very thankful there was a plea deal and that he admitted to (a SMALL) portion of what he did. The stress that saves her was worth every second of a plea. She is so strong. She does not sound like a child. She has lived through things most of us could never fathom. I hope she REALLY hears that judge---- HE is GUILTY. Guilty of it all. She was a child walking home from school. She has ZERO guilt or responsibility. But, she is a kind and loving human being. That is what makes her feel some guilt, even when it is not hers to have. It is HIS guilt. Let him have it.

I wanted the attorney to move his head! Kibby seemed very interested in seeing/ hearing her. He seemed to wipe his eyes once as she was going up, then I didn't see much movement. He did seem to smmile and smirk before his statement. I wanted to punch him. I hate that he left that line attached to her---- the "contact me in the future and I am open to explaining" line. It is a tie that she does not need! I hope her mom does any interacting, if she feels the need, and leaves AH out of it. I don't think there will ever be a good enough answer. I really don't. My hope is that this can close his chapter in her life and they can move forward with their new normal. Knowing that he is not hanging over her head anymore! She no longer has to PROVE he did anything. He admitted it. Now, let that jail cell shut and wave bye-bye.

AH, sweetie. Enjoy your summer sunshine and laughter and puppy dog and mama hugs. I wish you joy and peace in your life for the rest of your days. You have had more than your fair share of pain. You are loved.

(Oh- can I add?? Thanks for posting the video! Does anyone know if there is a video link for the information that was stated before the plea? Thanks!)

mpnola, you stated much of my feelings! Thank you!

AH, YOU ARE HOME!! YOU ARE FREE!! YOU ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY OF THIS!! NONE OF IT!! EXCEPT THE SURVIVAL!!!! Continuing to LIVE and SURVIVE all that has happened is because of who you are and your tenacity to LIVE! Please continue to move forward, and break those chains that bind, realizing those chains are for Kibby to bear. You are an inspiration!! You have survied, and thrived despite what would have broken many adults. I commend you!!! Seriously, you are a hero!! You did girl! You pressed forward against all adversary!!!! And though I can't promise you a life of any kind, I will continue to pray with you. I'll continue to pray you have the best life has to offer, and I can see you going far with your life and family support. I wish you all the happiness, healing, and prosperaty that life can offer! Go forth, AH, and prosper! May God continue to remain with you!! Much love to you!!!!!

AH, I also want to issue a personal apology for anything I posted. Anything I ever wrote that may have caused any hurt. My intentions have never been to hurt you or your family in any way. My intentions were only to help sleuth with the ultimate goal of bringing you home. While I had no part in you coming home, I prayed for you on many occassions. Again, I'm sorry if I ever caused you or your family any hurt. I wish you only the best!!!!!

If anyone is still connected to AH's family, can you please pass this post to her? TIA.

I didn't watch Jane Young or hear or read what she stated in the beginning of the trial. I don't know that I want to. Those details, IMO, are for the court. I just don't feel the need to want to hear them. I know within my heart that what Kibby has done is worse than my nightmares. I don't need to know more.

Watching the last video someone so kindly posted, I was shocked at many things. One being how normal, and soft spoken Kibby was. I don't know what I was expecting from him, but it did shock me.I know those things aren't a predictor to what someone is, or how they are thinking. I think it reaffirmed how evil hides behind all masks. I think it scared me realizing he could have been in a group taking with me, and I don't think I would have seen warning signs or danger alert. That scares me. I know it was only glimpses of him, in his best behavior for the court, yet it greatly distrubed me how normal he appeared to me!!!

I noticed no obvious stress while he was speaking to the judge. I would think maybe because he is a psychopath that doesn't show real emotions, but I don't know. I'm nervous speaking to a judge as a witness, much less to defend myself against a speeding ticket, or expired car inspection! Heck I was sweating testifying as a witness to a car wreck, and wasn't even on trial myself! I can't imagine how someone is so composed, and showing no redness of the face, neck, rapid breathing, NOTHING outward to show stress. Just again shows me that I need to work on my instincts, and get my hinky meter recalibrated! Absolutely scary !!!

I don't know if Kibby is capable of feeling remorse, or any real emotions. I do wonder if he didn't feel some sort of guilt, or compassion in not wanting AH to have to endure a long trial, and testify against all the wrong, evil things he did. But I think it was probably more for his own gain. He didn't want everyone he knows to hear those details, and know the real Kibby. Not the Kibby he let most people know or see, but that hidden Kibby and his demented evil thoughts, and actions. The thinking side of my says it was to benefit HIM in not continuing with the trial. Though I admit, something makes me wonder. He spent 9 months torturing AH. As AH stated, those actions are HIS and NO ONE else's. No one made him do any of them but HIM alone! His guilt and prison term is on HIM alone!!! I love the judge for saying that. For making sure Kibby knows that, and most important for AH and her family to realize NOTHING they did caused any of this to happen!! NONE of it rests on their shoulders. NOTHING! Thank you Judge!!

I don't know if he was attempting to continue his hold on AH or he truly was interested her what she had to say, but it shocked me how he did face her, and listen to what she said. I've seen defendants who wouldn't look at the victim or their family. Who refused to acknowledge they were in the court room. For whatever reason he did look at them, I hope it helped the victims to feel their impact was heard by him, and acknowledge by him. I do think he'll eventually write to AH's mom, or attempt to someway contact the family to say whatever he wanted to say in court, but didn't want media to hear. While media had heard the worst of the worst possible, I don't know why he didn't want to say why he did what he did. Maybe he doesn't know why. But I think something in what AH's Mom said to him made him feel something. Because after her impact statement, he was talking with his attorney. It was like something struck him, and he wanted to say more, wanted to help her understand the WHY. I pray it wasn't more manipulation, and attempt at controlling. I truly do. I pray his heart has softened and he truly wants to help the family heal by attempting to explain what made him commit all those crimes. Other than self gratification, I can't think of a reason. I truly hope he doesn't attempt to contact AH in any way, shape or form. He's done enough damage. I don't know that anything he says directly to AH would be of benefit to AH. Maybe, but if there is, it should go through a counselor, and her family first. No direct contact.

In some sick, demented way, his glances at AH or at least towards where she was sitting, made me feel he still felt 'something' towards her. Not looks of hatred, or evil. Probably more of his manipulation, I don't know. But like AH's mother, I would love to know what makes him tick. What created the monster. What made him decide to build a place to hold someone captive. Why AH? Was that random? Had he ever seen her before? Why? I know I'll never have answers. I'm not important. I don't NEED those answers.

Stockholm syndrome is real. AH not seeing him as a monster, but a human. God bless her. 14yrs old and enduring 9 months away from her family and their love. 9 months of torture by the most vile of the human race. A survivor she is!!!!

I prayed Kibby would plea. While my faith isn't obviously as strong as AH's is, I didn't think he would plea. Maybe God did soften his heart and guide him to make that guilty plea. I don't know. But after his filing about Jane Young, I had my doubts. I need to rely heavier on the Lord. Have more faith that my prayers are heard.

I wonder why finding that weed was so important to the state? It was stated in court it was ounces. Yet somehow they missed it in his house?? Did I understand that correctly? I would have thought every inch of that place had been searched. Is the state afraid someone else has it? In two years, if anyone else could have gotten to it, I'm sure they would have used it. Maybe they are after the drug dealer?? I don't know why that was important in the plea. Also the importance of him being in prison out of state. Is that normal? Is it because NH is a smaller state, and thus for peace of mind, him being out of the state would help insure AH and her family they are safe? Sadly how can anyone be safe anywhere? Knowing this kind of monster does exist, and roams among us? Anyone have an ideas about this??

Sorry for the rambling.....

I'm overjoyed with this news, and bowled over by how impressive AH is. I hope she enjoys her freedom and lives a long and happy life.

I didn't watch Jane Young or hear or read what she stated in the beginning of the trial. I don't know that I want to. Those details, IMO, are for the court. I just don't feel the need to want to hear them. I know within my heart that what Kibby has done is worse than my nightmares. I don't need to know more.

Watching the last video someone so kindly posted, I was shocked at many things. One being how normal, and soft spoken Kibby was. I don't know what I was expecting from him, but it did shock me.I know those things aren't a predictor to what someone is, or how they are thinking. I think it reaffirmed how evil hides behind all masks. I think it scared me realizing he could have been in a group taking with me, and I don't think I would have seen warning signs or danger alert. That scares me. I know it was only glimpses of him, in his best behavior for the court, yet it greatly distrubed me how normal he appeared to me!!!

I noticed no obvious stress while he was speaking to the judge. I would think maybe because he is a psychopath that doesn't show real emotions, but I don't know. I'm nervous speaking to a judge as a witness, much less to defend myself against a speeding ticket, or expired car inspection! Heck I was sweating testifying as a witness to a car wreck, and wasn't even on trial myself! I can't imagine how someone is so composed, and showing no redness of the face, neck, rapid breathing, NOTHING outward to show stress. Just again shows me that I need to work on my instincts, and get my hinky meter recalibrated! Absolutely scary !!!

I don't know if Kibby is capable of feeling remorse, or any real emotions. I do wonder if he didn't feel some sort of guilt, or compassion in not wanting AH to have to endure a long trial, and testify against all the wrong, evil things he did. But I think it was probably more for his own gain. He didn't want everyone he knows to hear those details, and know the real Kibby. Not the Kibby he let most people know or see, but that hidden Kibby and his demented evil thoughts, and actions. The thinking side of my says it was to benefit HIM in not continuing with the trial. Though I admit, something makes me wonder. He spent 9 months torturing AH. As AH stated, those actions are HIS and NO ONE else's. No one made him do any of them but HIM alone! His guilt and prison term is on HIM alone!!! I love the judge for saying that. For making sure Kibby knows that, and most important for AH and her family to realize NOTHING they did caused any of this to happen!! NONE of it rests on their shoulders. NOTHING! Thank you Judge!!

I don't know if he was attempting to continue his hold on AH or he truly was interested her what she had to say, but it shocked me how he did face her, and listen to what she said. I've seen defendants who wouldn't look at the victim or their family. Who refused to acknowledge they were in the court room. For whatever reason he did look at them, I hope it helped the victims to feel their impact was heard by him, and acknowledge by him. I do think he'll eventually write to AH's mom, or attempt to someway contact the family to say whatever he wanted to say in court, but didn't want media to hear. While media had heard the worst of the worst possible, I don't know why he didn't want to say why he did what he did. Maybe he doesn't know why. But I think something in what AH's Mom said to him made him feel something. Because after her impact statement, he was talking with his attorney. It was like something struck him, and he wanted to say more, wanted to help her understand the WHY. I pray it wasn't more manipulation, and attempt at controlling. I truly do. I pray his heart has softened and he truly wants to help the family heal by attempting to explain what made him commit all those crimes. Other than self gratification, I can't think of a reason. I truly hope he doesn't attempt to contact AH in any way, shape or form. He's done enough damage. I don't know that anything he says directly to AH would be of benefit to AH. Maybe, but if there is, it should go through a counselor, and her family first. No direct contact.

In some sick, demented way, his glances at AH or at least towards where she was sitting, made me feel he still felt 'something' towards her. Not looks of hatred, or evil. Probably more of his manipulation, I don't know. But like AH's mother, I would love to know what makes him tick. What created the monster. What made him decide to build a place to hold someone captive. Why AH? Was that random? Had he ever seen her before? Why? I know I'll never have answers. I'm not important. I don't NEED those answers.

Stockholm syndrome is real. AH not seeing him as a monster, but a human. God bless her. 14yrs old and enduring 9 months away from her family and their love. 9 months of torture by the most vile of the human race. A survivor she is!!!!

I prayed Kibby would plea. While my faith isn't obviously as strong as AH's is, I didn't think he would plea. Maybe God did soften his heart and guide him to make that guilty plea. I don't know. But after his filing about Jane Young, I had my doubts. I need to rely heavier on the Lord. Have more faith that my prayers are heard.

I wonder why finding that weed was so important to the state? It was stated in court it was ounces. Yet somehow they missed it in his house?? Did I understand that correctly? I would have thought every inch of that place had been searched. Is the state afraid someone else has it? In two years, if anyone else could have gotten to it, I'm sure they would have used it. Maybe they are after the drug dealer?? I don't know why that was important in the plea. Also the importance of him being in prison out of state. Is that normal? Is it because NH is a smaller state, and thus for peace of mind, him being out of the state would help insure AH and her family they are safe? Sadly how can anyone be safe anywhere? Knowing this kind of monster does exist, and roams among us? Anyone have an ideas about this??

Sorry for the rambling.....
I don't know for sure about NH, but I am guessing they are similar to VT in that they don't have a lot of prison space. I know here in VT, we send offenders with lengthy incarcerations out of state and only keep the ones with generally two years or under. They tend to be the ones with drug charges and statistics show they are less likely to reoffend if they stay here and are able to keep ties with their community. So we ship the violent offenders and ones with long sentences away so we can keep the ones most likely to be rehabilitated.

After watching the video, many thoughts came to mind....polar opposite thoughts at the same time. I wondered if the acknowledgement of guilt was a form of remorse, or his way of controlling the situation in some limited manner. I hope for remorse, but am not convinced. When NK spoke, it too amazed me how "normal" and composed he seemed, and that was scary.
This may sound strange, but when the judge addressed NK and was making sure he understood what he was admitting to and all the consequences of it, it really made an impact on me. Maybe it was the judge's tone, or his way of delivering the words, but it felt like "the process" worked. I have often been upset and confused at all the legal posturing. But hearing the judge explain things like giving up his right to a trial by his peers etc made me have some faith restored in "the process". I have struggled with balancing allegations against NK with the presumption of innocence until proven guilty. I was ready to see him put away and have him tried and convicted in the media......though I know in my heart I should not do that. I guess it was a case of knowing that however repugnant someone may be, the courts do allow the process to play out..and that gave me a sense of comfort in an otherwise very uncomfortable situation. (I hope this paragraph makes sense, it is so hard to put into words.)
So many people here have expressed so many of my own emotions and thoughts.......thanks for putting into words what I could not.
When AH spoke of using her last name.....I felt so bad for her. Like part of her identity will be forever tied to this man. I wouldn't blame her for changing her name if she so chose to do. But if something positive could be put on that same point, it would be that her name became a rallying point for so many kind, good hearted people to do good things. The search for her. The efforts made to locate her. The prayers offered up. It's easy for me to say it since it's not my name, but I hope over time she will see that while her name can be an issue, it can also be seen as a source of so much positive energy too.

I'm gutted I missed this, saddened I wasn't here with you all, and for A.

I lost my DH on Sunday

'A' I admire you so much, you will continue to give me strength and inspiration.

You're free beautiful lady, and so so strong.

The biggest respect and (((hugs))) to you

:grouphug: :daisy:

I want to know why Kibby did this too. Yes, I know why he did: he had a sexual motivation. The reason I want to know Kibby's motivations in particular is because he let his victim live and he let her go. That is almost unheard of. There is something there that separates him from all the other men who kidnap girls. I for one want to know what that something is. Or did he just keep her long enough to see an actual human being?

Also, I believe that Kibby got off work at the same time AH walked home from school. I am sure he had seen her many times before. A man as serious a predator as him could probably spot that she was walking with a little difficulty that day. How messed up.

I want to know why Kibby did this too. Yes, I know why he did: he had a sexual motivation. The reason I want to know Kibby's motivations in particular is because he let his victim live and he let her go. That is almost unheard of. There is something there that separates him from all the other men who kidnap girls. I for one want to know what that something is. Or did he just keep her long enough to see an actual human being?

Also, I believe that Kibby got off work at the same time AH walked home from school. I am sure he had seen her many times before. A man as serious a predator as him could probably spot that she was walking with a little difficulty that day. How messed up.

IIRC he left work early that day. I think he saw her walking the day before and came prepared. I think he released her because he is an idiot who thinks he is smarter than anyone and believed that he had tortured her enough and scared her enough that she would lie, which after several days her inner sprit cam through.
I think she fooled him. I think what she said when she made an appearance at the CDS and said that everyone's prayers helped in her release is actually what happened.

In her soul she was stronger than him and ultimately he was defeated. He had no choice but to concede, IMO

IIRC he left work early that day. I think he saw her walking the day before and came prepared. I think he released her because he is an idiot who thinks he is smarter than anyone and believed that he had tortured her enough and scared her enough that she would lie, which after several days her inner sprit cam through.
I think she fooled him. I think what she said when she made an appearance at the CDS and said that everyone's prayers helped in her release is actually what happened.

In her soul she was stronger than him and ultimately he was defeated. He had no choice but to concede, IMO
This. He thought he was smarter and while he is a sadist he doesn't fancy himself a murderer. He fancies himself a psychological superior. She convo Ced him he was superior and that his plan would play out. Kudos to AH
Ultimately she won the chase game he imagined he dominated

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

rsbm

While I don't for a second doubt AH's heroic character, I do take issue with these final statements.

To me, they seem to suggest that the strength of one's soul (whatever that may mean) is enough to defeat a predator. I think that seems to suggest that those who fall to predators lack such strength. And while I know you don't mean to suggest that, it's in what you wrote. I think many are victimized regardless of how strong their souls are, and so it's not because their souls are weak.

BBM

I'm curious what you mean by this? I don't remember her having any injuries that would make her limp or anything. I'm not saying that it's not true, I simply don't remember anything about it.

BBM

I'm curious what you mean by this? I don't remember her having any injuries that would make her limp or anything. I'm not saying that it's not true, I simply don't remember anything about it.

I will try to find the link where it was stated but from my memory AH said that the boots she wore to school that day had given her blisters so she was limping on her walk home and the reason she accepted a ride with him when she normally wouldn't have.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/watc...ilty-to-kidnapping-assaulting-girl/vp-BBtxQXg
a few more details-including about the letter. I cannot find the version i heard live. They stopped streaming but not before i listened to unspeakable details that i wish i could forever erase from hearing and made me sick for her to have gone thru. It was stated she had blisters on her feet and no socks on with boots which was why she accepted the ride. He pulled into a parking lot and tased her. Bless her

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammiwinks
Back