GUILTY NH - AH, 14, North Conway, 9 October 2013 - #12

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Joe Downs, the other of a gift shop in the town, said he remembers the effect the teen's disappearance had on the community. The thought that someone could snatch a child sent shudders down the spines of people in the northern New Hampshire town that relies heavily on family-oriented tourism.

"I don't know how much this cost the town but somebody should come clean about what happened," Downs said of the heavy law enforcement effort. "They didn't find her; she came home on her own, from what I know."

"I want to know where she was, where she's been for nine months," Downs said. "It should have been figured out. Everybody wants to know the truth."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cops-release-new-photos-ask-for-help-in-abigail-hernandez-case/

I get what he's saying, I totally do. Can you imagine the talk running around that small town since Monday?

What I don't get is the people who were advocating so hard to #bringabbyhome turning on her when she does. I'm not from the area so I couldn't possibly comment on why. I posted in the last thread that I totally expected this town to circle the wagons around her, but so far all we see are people demanding answers. As for as support, so far all I've seen is the lovely sign on the HS.

ALWAYS MOO

I'll admit it, I'm very, very curious (keep checking here for updates).

I get what he's saying, I totally do. Can you imagine the talk running around that small town since Monday?

What I don't get is the people who were advocating so hard to #bringabbyhome turning on her when she does. I'm not from the area so I couldn't possibly comment on why. I posted in the last thread that I totally expected this town to circle the wagons around her, but so far all we see are people demanding answers. As for as support, so far all I've seen is the lovely sign on the HS.

ALWAYS MOO

Those people paid LE to search for her and many probably searched themselves. I understand why they want answers.

exactly. wanting answers isn't "turning on her". it's...wanting answers. those who went out, spent their time, money, away from their own families.

of course no one here is "owed". and a happy ending it is...but I agree with those who are still curious...

of course no one here is "owed". and a happy ending it is...but I agree with those who are still curious...

RSBM --

I agree, but when people say that they are entitled to information, it's basically the same thing as saying that they are owed it.

Those people paid LE to search for her and many probably searched themselves. I understand why they want answers.

it's like everyone has gone temporarily insane over this thing, you have people that dont even know what actually happened lashing out at her and her family and on the other hand you have people saying "nothing to see here, no need to ever learn another detail"

how about some moderation? (not forum moderation i think they have that covered...) at a reasonable time some basic information should be released to the public to explain what has happened, not every detail, not immediately... and at some point a full disclosure should be made that of course has whatever necessary redacted to respect the privacy of the minor involved.

is that too hard?

She did not live rough in that outfit for 9 months. Nor did she live out of that backpack. This is so weird, it is really like she walked through a wormhole.

My property taxes, sales taxes and every other tax I pay goes to support my local LE. I don't demand answers from them when they are not at liberty to give them. I have myself searched for missing persons as a volunteer and I have donated to more cases than I'd like my DH to be aware of. I haven't had a whole lot of answers in most of them. Yes, I knew the end outcome. Sadly, it was usually someone deceased. Honestly, in those cases, you get more details than in ones where they are found safe. You can take that times a hundred if the missing person is a minor.

Of course people want answers, they want to know why. Everyone wants to know why. That is a human condition. However, no matter what happened here, as per the local LE statement, AH had no way to support herself or maintain an existence without help. Someone helped her. That person is a criminal. AH is a minor child. Her rights have to be protected no matter what anyone wants to know about the situation.

A quick caveat is that I am dying to know too...so are all the people viewing this thread and checking it. But AH is a minor, she has been missing for months under circumstances unknown. She needs to be supported by her community. I'm just not seeing that, especially when it's locals interviewed for newspapers and articles. The internet is forever and the person most affected by this will see it.

ALWAYS MOO

LE is not helping matters at all in the way they have and still are handling this case. A lot of parents will want reassurance that if she ran away, their kids will receive the same level of efforts as this case received. They want to know if a predator is involved, if it is a local, if it was an online contact, someone she knew, or a random. They want to be able to protect their kids, if possible. Yes they deserve to know what happened. I am not saying details of what she may have endured day by day...but certainly whether or not she knew the person, went willingly, made an escape, met on the internet, etc. In a small town, there is a very good chance people may know this (alleged) perp and have no idea he/she is dangerous. LE needs to up their communication skills by a whole lot. Imo they are turning this into the mystery of the century the way it being handled so far.

Jmo

Imo wherever she was, she used different clothing during that period and left there only with what she came with. Where that would be or what this means is beyond me...this is the weirdest outcome in a case to date for me.
<rs&bbm>

Which might be precisely why she returned in the same clothing. New clothing could provide clues about where they were purchased, leading to clues about where she was living and/or being detained. And borrowed, or used clothing, could hold DNA from someone other than Abby.

JMO

Additionally, many of the things I at least want answers on are not even private matters! Where someone has been living for nine months is not a private matter. If Abby was spotted in car on a public road, that is also not a private matter and she is not entitled to privacy it that regard.

I think the word many people here are looking for is not privacy, but rather sensitivity. What happened to Abby will eventually come out, but because she is a child, if any of the details are salacious (i.e. sex, rape, drugs, prostitution, etc), then we should refrain from discussing them (when possible). If someone is charged in connection with this, then the courts docs will be public and we will know every detail. It does seem right not to constantly put stuff in the internet time capsule that relates to the abuse of a child. I get that. I do not think that people who are looking for answers are asking for that. We are merely normal humans who prefer explanations for mysterious events. I would be satisfied with, "Abby took off with a guy she met at the fair two weeks before she disappeared. He picked her up and they drove to Providence. She was at his house the entire time. He drove her back 9 months later."

Additionally, many of the things I at least want answers on are not even private matters! Where someone has been living for nine months is not a private matter. If Abby was spotted in car on a public road, that is also not a private matter and she is not entitled to privacy it that regard.

I think the word many people here are looking for is not privacy, but rather sensitivity. What happened to Abby will eventually come out, but because she is a child, if any of the details are salacious (i.e. sex, rape, drugs, prostitution, etc), then we should refrain from discussing them (when possible). If someone is charged in connection with this, then the courts docs will be public and we will know every detail. It does seem right not to constantly put stuff in the internet time capsule that relates to the abuse of a child. I get that. I do not think that people who are looking for answers are asking for that. We are merely normal humans who prefer explanations for mysterious events. I would be satisfied with, "Abby took off with a guy she met at the fair two weeks before she disappeared. He picked her up and they drove to Providence. She was at his house the entire time. He drove her back 9 months later."

I am pretty sure almost everyone would be satisfied with that last sentence...as long as all missing area teens received the same level of LE attention and interest. That is what parents crave when teens go missing and very seldom receive.

LE is not helping matters at all in the way they have and still are handling this case. A lot of parents will want reassurance that if she ran away, their kids will receive the same level of efforts as this case received. They want to know if a predator is involved, if it is a local, if it was an online contact, someone she knew, or a random. They want to be able to protect their kids, if possible. Yes they deserve to know what happened. I am not saying details of what she may have endured day by day...but certainly whether or not she knew the person, went willingly, made an escape, met on the internet, etc. In a small town, there is a very good chance people may know this (alleged) perp and have no idea he/she is dangerous. LE needs to up their communication skills by a whole lot. Imo they are turning this into the mystery of the century the way it being handled so far.

Jmo

This is really what people are requesting. It is called a certain level of decency for the people of that community. <modsnip>naem They need to at least explain that there is not some sketchy guy hunting the girls on Conway. I have pretty strong feeling that LE knows that is definitely not the case here. So you get a whole town on edge with candlelight vigils, posters plastered on every surface, plenty of searches done by volunteers, and then, when the people might finally get some relief that the town does not have a potential kidnapper in their midst, LE gives them the silent treatment. It is a huge "up yours" to the people there. Right now they are holding back, but pretty soon they will start to get mad, and I do not blame them not one bit.

owed, entitled...use whatever vocabulary you want. we're neither.

I still want answers. and I'm not 'owed' nor 'entitled'.

;)

LE can't speak about an open investigation.
Let them do their job.
Back off.

It sounds like they have plenty of questions themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is really what people are requesting. It is called a certain level of decency for the people of that community. LE are being massive jerks here. They need to at least explain that there is not some sketchy guy hunting the girls on Conway. I have pretty strong feeling that LE knows that is definitely not the case here. So you get a whole town on edge with candlelight vigils, posters plastered on every surface, plenty of searches done by volunteers, and then, when the people might finally get some relief that the town does not have a potential kidnapper in their midst, LE gives them the silent treatment. It is a huge "up yours" to the people there. Right now they are holding back, but pretty soon they will start to get mad, and I do not blame them not one bit.
<rbbm>
In my wildest dreams, I cannot imagine a LE agency adopting that attitude in this type of situation.

The fact that LE isn't making statements about a masked marauder/rapist/pervert/abductor in the area should speak volumes. IMHO

No news is good news.

LE can't speak about an open investigation.
Let them do their job.
Back off.

It sounds like they have plenty of questions themselves.

The Celina Cass murder probably left a lot of New Hampshire residents feeling a little questioning about LE, Imo. And now this truly bizarre last few days...jmo

Maybe LE doesn't know what happened to her. That's embarrassing, especially after the Celina Cass case. If Abby isn't talking...if her folks aren't talking...I'm guessing steps are being taken through the juvenile/family law courts to light a fire...

I would be interested to see the list of organizations that had booths at the Fryeburg Fair...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025