GUILTY NH - AH, 14, North Conway, 9 October 2013 - # 2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got Tapatalk. Thank you !!!

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

OT but why do kids need Iphones, anyway? Surely kids with $400 phones also have laptops, etc.

I guess I don't get why they need a mobile computer. I thought phones were meant for parents to be able to get in touch if needed.

But what do I know...

OT but why do kids need Iphones, anyway? Surely kids with $400 phones also have laptops, etc.

I guess I don't get why they need a mobile computer. I thought phones were meant for parents to be able to get in touch if needed.

But what do I know...

I don't like the idea of my child being able to access the internet 24/7 so privately on a phone. On a family computer it can be easier to monitor, IMO. I would not feel comfortable with my child having 24/7 access to an iPhone. They are just as capable of getting into trouble on the internet or attracting predators via Facebook or other sites on their iPhones are they are on the home computer. Probably more so.

Hi - Some info about iPhones - The last contact with a cell tower at 3:07 doesn't mean the iPhone has not been used since that time. iPhones use both cell data and WIFI. 3:07 could be the time she reached a destination that had WIFI and her phone switched over and stopped pinging the cell tower. A destination with WIFI could have been someones HOUSE or a BUSINESS that has open WIFI like Dunkin Donuts or many others. Also iPhones send "iMessage" text through data and not just regular SMS cell texts. If a iPhone sends another iPhone a iMessage it is all done through data and the phone company would have no record of a SMS text being sent - just the data used. And if 2 iPhones were iMessaging while connected to WIFI the phone company would have no trace or record of it at all. The only record in these cases would be people coming forward and saying "I got an iMessage from her at such a time" and showing it to LE. Or finding her phone and seeing those messages. Don't know if I explained that well... but I tried!

Or she could have gotten WiFi from someones house that she had been to before , maybe she had gotten the WiFi password on a previous visit . Am I picking up what you are putting down ? Is that possible ?

EDIT: Meaning that the Cell Tower turned her phone over to a WIFI or vice versa . A WiFi that would have been opened to her phone ?

But what do I know...
Yeah I know. I'm a grownup who hasn't had parental support since I was in my teens, and I can't afford an iPhone, nor do I feel I need one.

Hi - Some info about iPhones - The last contact with a cell tower at 3:07 doesn't mean the iPhone has not been used since that time. iPhones use both cell data and WIFI. 3:07 could be the time she reached a destination that had WIFI and her phone switched over and stopped pinging the cell tower. A destination with WIFI could have been someones HOUSE or a BUSINESS that has open WIFI like Dunkin Donuts or many others. Also iPhones send "iMessage" text through data and not just regular SMS cell texts. If a iPhone sends another iPhone a iMessage it is all done through data and the phone company would have no record of a SMS text being sent - just the data used. And if 2 iPhones were iMessaging while connected to WIFI the phone company would have no trace or record of it at all. The only record in these cases would be people coming forward and saying "I got an iMessage from her at such a time" and showing it to LE. Or finding her phone and seeing those messages. Don't know if I explained that well... but I tried!

Ah, but if LE logged into a Mac using the same Apple ID, you could see all your messages in the iMessages tab. At least, I can with my phone - any imessage sent and/or recieved from my phone or ipad shows up on my computer. :)

ETA And if I've thought of this, I surely hope that LE/SS/FBI have!

And maybe thats why they hit D&D and McD's two well known free wi-fi areas. The only other besides the Hotels/motels would be Lowes .

yeah well I thought it odd Assist1, so much I did a double take
and reading some of the others..too
Long as LE aware, better safe than sorry

eta now i am wondering if that stuff might be why mom was...concerned, kwim?

Ah, but if LE logged into a Mac using the same Apple ID, you could see all your messages in the iMessages tab. At least, I can with my phone - any imessage sent and/or recieved from my phone or ipad shows up on my computer. :)

ETA And if I've thought of this, I surely hope that LE/SS/FBI have!

Are you sure that texts while on another persons wifi will go there ? Is there a disable button for that ?

But what do I know...

I'll tell you why a lot of kids have iPhones. It's cheaper to buy an iPhone than an iPod these days if you're adding a new phone to your family plan. For me and my husband, if we added one iphone 5s to our family plan, it would be $15 a month for that line, data included, plus whatever the cost of the iphone was. The 5s is 179.99 right now with my provider, so that is way cheaper than even a refurb iPod touch, which I just priced last weekend.

If it's the same price to add an iphone as it is to add a cheaper phone, and the iphone ends up being cheaper than the ipod, well, it seems like a good deal.

(Personally everyone in my family has an iphone -- siblings, parents, etc -- and it's really nice to be able to facetime.)

LE responded to the initial 9-11 call and quickly put up crime scene tape. I think this was done, at least partially, in response to the mother's initial belief Abby had made it home after school and then disappeared from that location. I think it may have been an initial precaution to preserve the area as a possible crime scene, if it was later found to be so. Also, the crime scene tape went up long before any cell phone records has been secured and analyzed. All they had at that moment was the statements made by Zenya to the responding officers.

Clearly something Zenya said to LE in the initial contact caught their complete attention and they responded immediately and aggressively, and thankfully so in this case.

Does she have dogs??? Maybe the dogs got out of hand and made a mess inside the house when she did not come home to feed them and her mom thought Abbey was abducted upon entering the house.

I think they knew pretty quickly that she was not a runaway. I also think that they believe she is deceased. The reasons, they did a massive shoulder to shoulder search, and they seem to believe that her phone was either tossed, or disposed of. All through this I have been convinced that they worked through several theories they needed to eliminate, and although they may have a working theory of what happened, they do not have the evidence to bring it to conclusion.
Jmo.

I think they did the shoulder to shoulder search to find the phone that pinged in that area, I don't even want to consider that she is no longer with us.

I have a question regarding the iPhone 5 that's been bugging me, I hope some of the more techie sleuths on here have the answer because google searches have just lead me to more questions.

Something in the back of my mind regarding iPhones is niggling the brain cells I have remaining....some new security feature that snaps a picture of whoever turns on the iPhone. I thought I read about this in the recent iPhone upgrade that was issued, but I can't find it in google or apple website. I don't know if it was an app that is downloaded, or if it is a standard feature on iPhone with the latest update. Nor do I know specifically how the feature works. Can anyone help answer?
I'm just wondering if Abby's phone had the feature and maybe that's why LE is desperately trying to locate the phone.

Are you sure that texts while on another persons wifi will go there ? Is there a disable button for that ?

It's not texts per se, its the iMessage system built into Apple products. So far, no, I haven't been able to figure out how to disable it; it automatically senses when you text an iphone and switches you to iMessage. It's supposed to be a system that links all your Apple devices so you can text on the phone, set it down, go to your computer and do whatever while you continue the chat, but it sure is annoying getting a message on your computer, ipad and phone all at once.

Dollars to Donuts there is a more hip app to use when texting for teens , that wont be reported back to the Mother Apple.

Either way, the messaging isnt important as much as the fact that the tower on Cranmore possibly turned her phone over to a WiFi signal . That is huge. IMO.
Especially the fact that ahem :blushing: where in town that happened .

I think they did the shoulder to shoulder search to find the phone that pinged in that area, I don't even want to consider that she is no longer with us.

I have a question regarding the iPhone 5 that's been bugging me, I hope some of the more techie sleuths on here have the answer because google searches have just lead me to more questions.

Something in the back of my mind regarding iPhones is niggling the brain cells I have remaining....some new security feature that snaps a picture of whoever turns on the iPhone. I thought I read about this in the recent iPhone upgrade that was issued, but I can't find it in google or apple website. I don't know if it was an app that is downloaded, or if it is a standard feature on iPhone with the latest update. Nor do I know specifically how the feature works. Can anyone help answer?
I'm just wondering if Abby's phone had the feature and maybe that's why LE is desperately trying to locate the phone.

BBM I googled that and it's an app called gadgettrak, but I did find this!...

If your iPhone is offline, you can set an option to receive an email whenever your iPhone is connected to the Internet.

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/apps-to-recover-stolen-lost-iphone/ (More about gadgettrak at the website, too.)

Dollars to Donuts there is a more hip app to use when texting for teens , that wont be reported back to the Mother Apple.

Either way, the messaging isnt important as much as the fact that the tower on Cranmore possibly turned her phone over to a WiFi signal . That is huge. IMO.
Especially the fact that ahem :blushing: where in town that happened .

There is snapchat and kik but most kids use iMessage/texting for quick communication since it's the same built in thing that just switches to imessage automatically.

And I am now officially too old to know about all of these things :blushing:

All this talk about wifi and apps on phones reminded me of something. Recently, my 15 y/o asked permission to download an app to her phone called SnapChat. I refused to allow it. In researching this app, I learned that the user can send and receive pictures and text messages using this thing, and it leaves no trace on your phone, nor does it impact your message allowance on your cell phone plan. You can send and receive videos too. You set a timeframe- say, 5 seconds- that the message is visible on the recipient's phone, and then the thing just self-destructs and disappears altogether.

You would send a message/pic/video to whoever, and they'd get a notification on their phone that they have a new snapchat message. Once they open the message, it's visible on their screen for however many seconds you determine you want it visible to them, and then it disappears. They no longer have access to it.

I monitor my kid's phone and internet activity pretty heavily, and the idea that she could send potentially inappropriate messages and/or pics to friends (or worse- BOYS!! ) was something I just couldn't reconcile. I told her no way.

The app is really popular with her friends- and free- so I wonder if Abigail had it as well.

You can disable iMessage, if you go to settings and to messages the option shows up. I've had to do it a few times when iMessage wasn't working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasApril87