Found Deceased NH - Ashley Turcotte, 31, last seen at home, her car found at the town hall with her phone & backpack, Barnstead, 4 Jan 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Here's an article from local news with a bit of new (to me) information on the search:

Laconia Daily Sun

Of note, no CCTV covers the part of the parking lot that Ashley parked in. :(
Great search information at your link:

“On Thursday, a search involving eight trained dogs took place, covering a radius about a half-mile around the Town Hall lot. Joining the effort were commercially licensed drone operators, who used aerial devices that had thermal imaging as well as night vision.

Earlier in the week, horse-mounted police officers from Manchester helped to search in the hopes that a more elevated vantage point might reveal something that was missed.
The search on Thursday included personnel from NH Fish and Game, as well as from New England K9 Search and Rescue.”

Last edited:
This one is bugging me! It seems like such a small town with several businesses/offices grouped close together, it's crazy to me that no one saw the car being parked or anything else. But perhaps that's what isn't being shared with media.

So she was last seen that Thurs morning but we have no time or know if she mentioned where she was going correct?

And she was reported missing that same date when her car was found but what time was it found? The 10:37am time, which is the only time I'm aware of that's been given to this timeline is just when her car is seen after activating the camera assuming right before she/someone pulled into the parking lot.

How much time from when she left the house was the car seen on video...did she leave 10 minutes prior or hours early that morn? How long had the car been there before it was found and by whom?

Did a family member or friend randomly driving by, notice her car, wonder why she was parked there and maybe even see her phone, keys, and backpack inside?

Or did one of them wonder where she was bc she'd not come home or they had plans and possibly not answering their phone calls so they drove into town and saw it?

Was it LE, being right around the corner thinking it was odd for a/her car to be parked there and/or see belongings inside so they alerted the family?

Or was it say later that night someone called LE saying she hadn't returned and wasn't answering calls so that is what prompted LE to look for her car?

Knowing the timing from when she was last seen leaving the house to when the car was seen on camera at 10:37 to when the car was found as well as who found it and the reasoning behind that are all very important...so much is missing from this timeline which is always so important with little to go off of in cases like this....

So she was last seen that Thurs morning but we have no time or know if she mentioned where she was going correct?

And she was reported missing that same date when her car was found but what time was it found? The 10:37am time, which is the only time I'm aware of that's been given to this timeline is just when her car is seen after activating the camera assuming right before she/someone pulled into the parking lot.

How much time from when she left the house was the car seen on video...did she leave 10 minutes prior or hours early that morn? How long had the car been there before it was found and by whom?

Did a family member or friend randomly driving by, notice her car, wonder why she was parked there and maybe even see her phone, keys, and backpack inside?

Or did one of them wonder where she was bc she'd not come home or they had plans and possibly not answering their phone calls so they drove into town and saw it?

Was it LE, being right around the corner thinking it was odd for a/her car to be parked there and/or see belongings inside so they alerted the family?

Or was it say later that night someone called LE saying she hadn't returned and wasn't answering calls so that is what prompted LE to look for her car?

Knowing the timing from when she was last seen leaving the house to when the car was seen on camera at 10:37 to when the car was found as well as who found it and the reasoning behind that are all very important...so much is missing from this timeline which is always so important with little to go off of in cases like this....

i think it would really help you to go back and read the first few pages of this thread.
You have the main issues confused, but I think the early pages will straighten it out for you.

i.e. she was not found the same day.... and that is where you have to start, and then a few other things will fall into place for you.

Many of your questions are simply unanswered.... and is why we are all speculating soooo much!!!!!!!

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, but how was she employed? I know she was an artist and had an Etsy store, but it doesn't seem like those would be sufficient to pay the bills.

If she worked near the town center, it may help explain why her car was parked where it was.

She has scars on her arms?? That's an unusual thing to mention, they must be quite a considerable size.

Does she self-harm? Has she got MH issues?

They say 31-year-old Ashley Turcotte was last seen Thursday, Jan. 4, in Barnstead, a town of about 5,000 located about 20 miles south of Lake Winnipesaukee. She is described as 5’5″ tall, with brown hair and eyes. She has scars on her arms, and was last seen wearing dark pants, a dark long-sleeved shirt and possibly a black or blue winter coat.

i think it would really help you to go back and read the first few pages of this thread.
You have the main issues confused, but I think the early pages will straighten it out for you.

i.e. she was not found the same day.... and that is where you have to start, and then a few other things will fall into place for you.

Many of your questions are simply unanswered.... and is why we are all speculating soooo much!!!!!!!
Thanks that is what I originally thought bc I remember commenting before asking why it took so long to report her missing but many articles are saying last seen 1/4 and her car found Thursday so these articles confuse me.

"Ashley Turcotte, a 31-year-old artist from Barnstead, N.H., was last seen at her home on Jan. 4."

"Turcotte was reported missing on Thursday, after her vehicle was found parked at the Town Hall lot."

Last Thursday was Jan 4th which they are saying is when she was last seen at her home as well as the second article saying Thursday which wasnt just yesterday so would both be last seen and car found on that same 1/4 Thursday date.

Turcotte was reported missing on Thursday,
I think this is due to confusing phraseology in the articles.. she is reported to have been missing since Thursday. I believe the day she was reported missing was Saturday, but on that day she had been missing since Thursday.. if that makes sense :). Several articles have propagated with what I think is inaccurate information about when the report was made... But please correct if I'm wrong!

I probably wasn’t very clear. I was responding anecdotally to the statement about bears and my recent experience of not seeing signs of them in northern NH while I am hiking. I wondered if maybe she went for a walk…I suppose for the sake of discourse, we could operationally define the term hike for clarity. However, again, just my experience, many, many people do not leave a note when they are going on a hike/walk in nature with minor elevation change.
That's true. A simple walk to clear the cobwebs along one of the towns little paths would not warrant a note. HOWEVER, folks I know would take their phone for that. Not necessarily a backpack though.

Perhaps she had a hired car meet her for pick up?
Burner phone?
I just don't know.
I'm wondering about her art. She does pumpkins for the town and has an Etsy shop. Some do fairly well, as I understand. The majority prob make a little spending money along. As a known local artist who sold her work, I'm guessing she might also sell on Facebook Marketplaces and where ever is available for artists to list and sale their creations. I'm thinking a commission picked up from someone next town or two over. She completed the work and met them in a public place for safety. When moving the fairly large piece over to the customer's car, she could have been overpowered . . . . pushed into the vehicle and driven off with. But that would be a lot of premeditation. Why?

It makes more sense she took a little walk and perhaps fell, but I don't understand leaving the phone.

I took a Google tour of Barnstead, and it looked like a nice place to live -- one where the townsfolk know each other or at least are familiar with the faces of folks they may not know too well. I feel sure that the people there are concerned and keeping their eyes open for Ashley.
Hoping for good news soon.
I agree. With Ashley being a local artist providing pumpkins for the autumn events and probably other occasions throughout the year, she's probably fairly well known and well-liked throughout the little town. And someone whose disappearance would get immediate attention.

Here's an article from local news with a bit of new (to me) information on the search:

Laconia Daily Sun

Of note, no CCTV covers the part of the parking lot that Ashley parked in. :(
More from the article. I hope Ashley knows how much she is missed and how many people are trying to bring her home!

“Also planned is a candlelight event called “Light Ashley’s Way Home” at 6:30 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 12. The public is invited to attend the event in the Barnstead Elementary School parking lot, and the gathering is intended to be a collective expression of hope for her safe return. Attendees are asked to bring their own candles, if possible.”

AT is an adult and is entitled to her privacy but I don't think this is the first time she's gone dark-- just not without her wallet, phone, and perhaps her vehicle. Winter is very high risk to be missing. Wishing her only the best. MOO
When creative juices are flowing and an artist is really working, they don't like to be disturbed and will often turn the phone and other forms of communication off until THEY are ready to talk. Perhaps her family thought she was working and would just re-surface naturally.

I think this is due to confusing phraseology in the articles.. she is reported to have been missing since Thursday. I believe the day she was reported missing was Saturday, but on that day she had been missing since Thursday.. if that makes sense :). Several articles have propagated with what I think is inaccurate information about when the report was made... But please correct if I'm wrong!
Her car was found on Sunday. Just to clear things up. She was last seen at her residence on Thursday.

Is there a coffee place or restaurant near the town hall where AT may have met up with anyone?
pizza place and a general store in the town but you would probably not walk to them.... several other towns (bigger) with fast food, etc about 20 miles away... we do not know if she "went missing" at 7 a.m. or at 10 p.m. and I do not understand if she lives alone or actually with her family.

pizza place and a general store in the town but you would probably not walk to them.... several other towns (bigger) with fast food, etc about 20 miles away... we do not know if she "went missing" at 7 a.m. or at 10 p.m. and I do not understand if she lives alone or actually with her family.
She lives with her sister and her family a shade over 2.5 miles from where her car was found. You would end up on the road of the town hall to either towards Rochester or the other way would take you towards the lights, to which would take you onto Rt. 28. There is also the road called Maple St, which is on the way towards the lights, that would also take you to Rt. 28.

I'm wondering about her art. She does pumpkins for the town and has an Etsy shop. Some do fairly well, as I understand. The majority prob make a little spending money along. As a known local artist who sold her work, I'm guessing she might also sell on Facebook Marketplaces and where ever is available for artists to list and sale their creations. I'm thinking a commission picked up from someone next town or two over. She completed the work and met them in a public place for safety. When moving the fairly large piece over to the customer's car, she could have been overpowered . . . . pushed into the vehicle and driven off with. But that would be a lot of premeditation. Why?

It makes more sense she took a little walk and perhaps fell, but I don't understand leaving the phone.
I was thinking similarly.
Perhaps a meet up to discuss a potential custom order. Things turn bad...
Although you'd think that would be a meet up at a cafe or such.

Have we read anything as to her demeanor the night before?

She lives with her sister and her family a shade over 2.5 miles from where her car was found. You would end up on the road of the town hall to either towards Rochester or the other way would take you towards the lights, to which would take you onto Rt. 28. There is also the road called Maple St, which is on the way towards the lights, that would also take you to Rt. 28.
as much as I try to think about these things, and come up with some ideas, her family/friends would know her habits better than us strangers. if the K9s did not find a scent around her car, that still makes me think picked up by another vehicle or in the river. presumably they checked her phone and internet by now for any contacts.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sumzoe24
Back