NH NH/CA - Robert Evans, suspected SK, Allenstown, 1981-2000's

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unsure wether it was a circus or not have only seen comments as "carnival" and "carnie" my take is that it was like a fair... Carnival rides require setup, along with maintenance and repair. The equipment is electrical and mechanical it would marry well with RE's skills sets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry I'm really tired. I associated carnival with circus in my head... Fair rides make more sense!

We have a mini fair that sets up every year in the summer where I live. I have known of people that work it and that say how easy it is to get a job maintaining the rides. It's usually the sketchy young adults who sell drugs with minor criminal records. I don't associate with those types, but my friends have and have been acquaintances of a few, but I stay away from that. A missing person from my area had worked there prior to disappearing and another guy got arrested for stealing and attempting to sell the cords that hook up the rides....

Did she ever give the name ?

"Denise" originally posted the names in the comments but the Oakhill Research blog admins took them out for privacy concerns. I wonder what they were. They were both living people, so disappointingly it couldn't be Evans.... Unless it was a living alias Evans stole...(Wishful thinking..but unlikely.)

January 13, 2015 at 2:30 PM: Yesterday there was a comment posted here that we chose to remove because it mentioned several living persons. We have reposted the comment but removed both names:

The man who loaded trucks name was (NAME REMOVED) he was a man that worked carnivals. He was very nice looking but with acne he was bitten by a dog on his left cheek and had a nasty scar. He had shoulder length hair parted on the left. he was about 24/26 5foot ten/eleven hazel or dark blue eye's. He was a police officer? He had a badge. He was from Maryland. The barrels were from NY and carried sealant. Could be used for driveways or mobile home roofs. The family traveled with the carnival and from another country. They lived up above the store and they came to Allenstown NH because of the trucker and his helpers to work . The family originally stayed in a white camper that they lived in before the window blew out in a storm. There were three children and one woman. One of the middle children belonged to the trucker . The woman spoke broken English. One of the most mangled of the babies was a boy? ( I think)The Man who drove truck parked it beside the camper after the murders and The barrels showed up possibly when the mobile home was removed. The moving of the mobile home the burning of the store and the trucker are connected. (DIFFERENT NAME REMOVED). Start there.
The murder of the two eldest happened across the road from the store. The other two behind store.

I don't see how he could afford to travel as far as he did and as often as he did.
NH to TX(assumed 1981), TX to CA(surfaces in 1984), CA to ID(stolen car in 1988), and ID to CA.​
That's a lot of travel time and gas, not to mention he needed to eat as well. Maybe he was involved in robberies to support himself on the road? I also wondered if most of his vehicles were stolen.

It's really not that uncommon for people to travel cheaply when they are comfortable living a more frugal, difficult life. Train hopping. Hitchhiking. Doing odd jobs for a few days, then moving on. Meeting someone once, then showing up at their doorstep again when you drift through again. It was even easier in the past. If you are okay living hand-to-mouth (and everything indicates that he was when he was younger), many find that lifestyle exciting. He might have engaged in additional car thefts or even robberies, but it is a mistake to think people can't accomplish this in other ways, ways that leave no trail.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I found another killer that reminds me a lot of Evans and coincidentally lived 30 minutes from him in 1980.
His name was John Joseph Kalhauser.
Similarities:
  • Both disappeared from New Hampershire with younger girlfriends- Kalhauser in 1980 with 20 year old Brenda Gerow, and Evans in 1981 with 23 year old Denise.
  • Both either killed or are suspected of killing that girlfriend elsewhere and possibly have other unknown victims- Brenda Gerow's remains were found in Tuscon, AZ in 1981. She remained the Pima County doe until 2014. Neither Brenda or Denise were reported missing. Possible years of killing others: Kalhauser (1980-Marriage in 1986), Evans (pre 1977-2002).
  • Both killed their wife and ultimately were arrested shortly after- Evans in 2002 after killing his wife Eunsoon Jun, and Kalhauser in 1995 after his wife Diane Van Reeth suspiciously disappeared, her body was never found.
  • Both lived under alias's- Kalhauser was living under the name Don/Donald Stecchi while he was married to Van Reeth.
  • Both strangely settled where they fled to- Evans stayed in CA from 1984- his death in 2010, and Kalhauser stayed in AZ from 1980-present.
  • Both were good "actors"-
    Evans-
    “He had extremely twinkly bright blue eyes and at that time he was charming and talkative and very intelligent. He was super smart, and he was very calculating...He had a keen ability to convince you of truths and he sounded convincing...,” Gruenheid said. source: http://www.concordmonitor.com/From-the-east-coast-to-the-west-coast-killer-had-an-impact-7753819
    Kalhauser-
    Sabers(missing wife's co-worker/friend) said that she met Kalhauser and that he seemed to be friendly. “I saw no problems" source:http://tucsoncitizen.com/morgue2/19...des-serving-a-prison-term-for-a-1971-slaying/

Since we don't know Evans real identity we don't know too much about his past, but we do know who Kalhauser is.
Here are some things about him that could be consistent with Evans:
  • He had a criminal record dating back to his teens- Kalhauser was arrested for manslaughter in 1971 at the age of 17.
  • He had served time in prison- He served 1 year of his 7 year sentence for that crime.
  • Had trouble in relationships- He fled NH after the 1979 attempted murder of his ex-girlfriends new boyfriend, and was convicted of killing his wife in 1995 after she asked for a divorce. He likely did this with Brenda as well. I believe this is why Evans killed his wife(s)/girlfriend(s), because they were trying to leave.
  • Used an alias to avoid a past crime- Kalhauser fled to AZ to avoid his attempted murder conviction. I wonder what was the reason Evans began his life under different identities
  • .He was interestingly from an area close-by to where he fled from - He is from Tyngsborough (Tyngsboro), Massachusetts which is 14 mins from Nashua, NH where he fled from in 1980. Could Evans be from an area not far from NH? He is though to be from the east coast.

I believe Evans story could be very similar to Kalhauser's.

I found another killer that reminds me a lot of Evans and coincidentally lived 30 minutes from Evans in 1980.
His name was John Joseph Kalhauser.
Similarities:
  • Both disappeared from New Hampershire with younger girlfriends- Kalhauser in 1980 with 20 year old Brenda Gerow, and Evans in 1981 with 23 year old Denise.
  • Both either killed or are suspected of killing that girlfriend elsewhere - Brenda Gerow's remains were found in Tuscon, AZ in 1981. She remained the Pima County doe until 2014. Neither Brenda or Denise were reported missing.
  • Both killed their wife and ultimately were arrested shortly after- Evans in 2002 after killing his wife Eunsoon Jun, and Kalhauser in 1995 after his wife Diane Van Reeth suspiciously disappeared, her body was never found.
  • Both lived under alias's- Kalhauser was living under the name Don/Donald Stecchi while he was married to Van Reeth.
  • Both strangely settled where they fled to- Evans stayed in CA from 1984- his death in 2010, and Kalhauser stayed in AZ from 1980-present.
  • Both were good "actors"-
    Evans-

Kalhauser-

Since we don't know Evans real identity we don't know too much about his past, but we do know who Kalhauser is.
Here are some things about him that could be consistent with Evans:
  • He had a criminal record dating back to his teens- Kalhauser was arrested for manslaughter in 1971 at the age of 17.
  • He had served time in prison- He served 1 year of his 7 year sentence for that crime.
  • Had trouble in relationships- He fled NH after the 1979 attempted murder of his ex-girlfriends new boyfriend, and was convicted of killing his wife in 1995 after she asked for a divorce. He likely did this with Brenda as well. I believe this is why Evans killed his wife(s)/girlfriend(s), because they were trying to leave.
  • Used an alias to avoid a past crime- Kalhauser fled to AZ to avoid his attempted murder conviction. I wonder what was the reason Evans began his life under alias's.

I believe Evans story could be very similar.

Curious. Rodney Alcala went from CA to NH as well, but in the early 70s.

Indeed, but this woman who claims to be a witness not only says that the middle child was not related to the others, but she says that the middle kid was the child of the killer! How could she have possibly known that unless she is psychic or knew Evans? The information that the middle child was Evans' (the killer's) was not released until a month ago.
after it was determined the middle child wasn't related to the others,I think pretty much everyone's thought she was related to killer.

The woman Denise who lived across from the store claims to have witnessed the killings! And as far as whether she has come forward, at the least she has been working closely with the Oakhill Research people. And she knew that the middle child was the killer's. She knew this years before it was revealed. How could she have known that unless she was psychic or knew Evans?
Again,u think it was a common theory.and I wouldnt say she works closely with oakhill,she posted her comments,and then they talked with her...after this,oakhill basically said her memory was "blurry"

after it was determined the middle child wasn't related to the others,I think pretty much everyone's thought she was related to killer.

When it came out that she was unrelated to the other victims my first thought was that she was a friend of one of the children or that she had been illegally adopted. The thought she could be a step-cousin/relative to the children also crossed my mind. I thought the killer was the husband/boyfriend to the adult and the father to the two related children.

"Denise" originally posted the names in the comments but the Oakhill Research blog admins took them out for privacy concerns. I wonder what they were. They were both living people, so disappointingly it couldn't be Evans.... Unless it was a living alias Evans stole...(Wishful thinking..but unlikely.)

That is what I was getting at .. Had Denise said Evans the case would have taken a turn a few years ago. Not discounting what she saw only the fact ... Evans was not on anyone's radar.

Sorry I'm really tired. I associated carnival with circus in my head... Fair rides make more sense!

We have a mini fair that sets up every year in the summer where I live. I have known of people that work it and that say how easy it is to get a job maintaining the rides. It's usually the sketchy young adults who sell drugs with minor criminal records. I don't associate with those types, but my friends have and have been acquaintances of a few, but I stay away from that. A missing person from my area had worked there prior to disappearing and another guy got arrested for stealing and attempting to sell the cords that hook up the rides....

Exactly ... You were following idea, it could be a rabbit hole .. But whom knows it may not

We became friends with people that ran fireworks stands ... During the seasons any who one stayed, he did not go back to Indiana

The possibility is there ..

That is what I was getting at .. Had Denise said Evans the case would have taken a turn a few years ago. Not discounting what she saw only the fact ... Evans was not on anyone's radar.

In 2014 authorities were given Evans' name as a potential suspect from an amateur sleuth named Ronda Randall.

In 2014, Randall’s work led to a man named Bob Evans, one of at least nine aliases for this killer, but officials didn’t connect him to the Allenstown murders until two years later. Source:http://www.concordmonitor.com/Priva...nt-public-in-her-search-for-the-truth-7860382

I mentioned before that authorities were aware of Evans since 2014. Finally found that article! Took some back tracking and digging.

In 2014 authorities were given Evans' name as a potential suspect from an amateur sleuth named Ronda Randall.

I mentioned before that authorities were aware of Evans since 2014. Finally found that article! Took some back tracking and digging.

That answers the question, had not read anywhere a name was given in turn the reason I also questioned it. Wonder if the name came from the commenter or the land owner.

In all now with a picture and name ... Hopefully the people that oakhill have been in contact with over the years .. May have a Eureka moment and come forward with more information.

Thus far NH had stated tips had been received but nothing that has lead them to evans true identity.

Patiently waiting for DB's DNA to complete, there possibly could be a JD match that could lead the investigation further. Would have thought the DNA testing would be done by now. Given the length of time ..

Wonder if the postman whom delivered the certified letter is still alive. Would be curious of any descriptive recollection of elizabeth.

Something I was thinking about last night.... All of the A (4) were found nude, could understand the adult that was dismembered why the rest....

Any other victims that may potentially be out there would assume Evans would use the same MO

What would be the purpose in leaving them nude

Something I was thinking about last night.... All of the A (4) were found nude, could understand the adult that was dismembered why the rest....

Any other victims that may potentially be out there would assume Evans would use the same MO

What would be the purpose in leaving them nude

Bodies break down, clothing, jewelry and other items don't. I had assumed he dismembered them because rigor mortis had set in before he put them into the barrels so in order to get them in, he had to dismember them. On another note I plugged in "Laporte" into the search engines because I really believe LaPorte is where they'll find either more bodies, or Denise and also looking for any mention during the early 80's of any pregnant mother missing, etc. What I found was that there is a LaPorte Indiana as well. In looking into LaPorte Indiana I found a story about a serial killer named Belle Gunness (Norwegian) who lured men to her farm with the promise of marriage, killed them with blunt force trauma after drugging them and buried them in her hog pen. She also killed all four of her own children, then faked her death and disappeared in the night. I wonder if he was playing with the police by using the place name of LaPorte. Interestingly, a Jensen was one of her victims.

What I think happened.

Scenario 1:
"Elizabeth" is the mother of his daughter.

Evans kills his wife in-between June-October, the known time "Elizabeth" was last listed as his wife.

FEB 1980- Evans is arrested for worthless checks and lists spouse as Elizabeth, and referenced having a 2 year old and a 6 month old
The 2 year old is their daughter and the 6 month old is their infant that he either kills when he kills his wife or abandons. Maybe it is a boy and he has only had girl victims that we know of, so he has nothing to do with a son. Maybe two child would be too much for him.

He does his grieving single father routine with his daughter and meets a single mom with two children who are the Allenstown victims.

The relationship is brief since isotopes suggest they were together for a couple of months. Maybe he meets her at Bear Brook State Park where she's renting the apartment above the store he did work on.

They are killed between June 1980 (Last mention of wife)- early 1981 (when he met Denise).

Scenario 2:
"Elizabeth" is the adult Allenstown victim.

Evans kills the mother of his child in the late 70's. Maybe the relationship ended and he killed her, which is the reason I think he killed most of his victims, because they wanted to leave and he had abandonment issues likely resulting from his childhood.

Plays his grieving single father routine and meets "Elizabeth" who has an infant not far in age from his daughter or she is pregnant much like Denise was when she met Evans. They get married in the late 70's (no earlier then late 1979 due to the children's ages) and blend their family.

FEB 1980- Evans is arrested for worthless checks and lists spouse as Elizabeth, and referenced having a 2 year old and a 6 month old
I believe the 2 year old is Evan's daughter and the 6 month old was Elizabeth's child.

Now I haven't forgotten about the 5-10 year old found with the adult victim. I personally believe that the oldest child is the adult victims younger half-sister. And she is potentially why Evans ultimately decided to kill them.

The situation I'm seeing is that "Elizabeth" and her half-sister's mother passes away sometime in 1980 and the mother was the primary guardian of the 5-10 year old and maybe her father was deceased or not in the picture. Her older sister takes her in because of lack of family, or family members living elsewhere. This could be why they were never reported missing. The mother could have been the only family they had or were close to.

Reasons that Evans may have seen the oldest child as a problem:
  • Evans either starts molesting his wife's sister and she found out.
  • He becomes concerned that she was school age and had to soon be enrolled in school.
  • Maybe they had to fill out paper work to become her legal guardian so she wouldn't have to go into foster care and Evans didn't want that paper trail leading directly to him.
  • Her age was a concern to Evans not only because of school but because she was old enough to expose him to someone and be believed. (teachers/ school counselor/ friend/ friend's parents/ neighbors, etc.)

I think another contributing factor to their deaths may have been that three children was too much for Evans to handle and especially considering his wife had an infant. Evans may have been the breadwinner until the child was older so she could work too. Having a baby sitter may be risky for him, they may find something out and become suspicious when they call to babysit and there no longer is children to watch. He could have told them that he and his wife divorced and she took the children though, which is what I think was his explanation of their disappearance to everybody who may have asked.

I don't think he intended on killing the two youngest at first. I think he wanted to do his single dad routine again, but there was a reason he decided to not use them. Maybe a 6 month old was not something he wanted to deal with. He needed someone at home to watch them while he was at work. I think with Lisa he kept Denise alive a while. When Lisa was a little older he worked in RV parks and neighbors like Katherine Decker watched her while he was working.

Reasons I think he decided to kill the youngest victims:
  • Maybe the two girls went ballistic after witnessing the murders, that's traumatic at any age.
  • They were two young for him to deal with himself especially since he worked.
  • He used his real name when he had his daughter and that name was on her birth certificate and he didn't want that connection to him. It was too risky, maybe he kidnapped her after he killed her mother and the family was searching.
  • His daughter was so terrified of him after the fact that he took that as rejection. I think that's why Evans killed his wife's/grilfriends, they wanted to leave him.
  • She was old enough to talk, and was saying things like "daddy killed mommy!"

I wanted to give the victims names, even though it's not their real names. They don't even have a nickname like Cali doe, so I just wanted to do it. I just thought it would be symbolic.
Allenstown victims:
20's, Adult- "Elizabeth" but I think she went by another nickname, like a middle name, and this was her legal name.
5-10 year old- "Stephanie" Elizabeth's half-sister
2-4 year old- "Lisa" Evans daughter
1-3 year old- "Michelle" or "Nicole" Elizabeth's daughter

Bodies break down, clothing, jewelry and other items don't. I had assumed he dismembered them because rigor mortis had set in before he put them into the barrels so in order to get them in, he had to dismember them. On another note I plugged in "Laporte" into the search engines because I really believe LaPorte is where they'll find either more bodies, or Denise and also looking for any mention during the early 80's of any pregnant mother missing, etc. What I found was that there is a LaPorte Indiana as well. In looking into LaPorte Indiana I found a story about a serial killer named Belle Gunness (Norwegian) who lured men to her farm with the promise of marriage, killed them with blunt force trauma after drugging them and buried them in her hog pen. She also killed all four of her own children, then faked her death and disappeared in the night. I wonder if he was playing with the police by using the place name of LaPorte. Interestingly, a Jensen was one of her victims.

You def tapped on another MO is looking for UID's or crime reports with blunt force trauma. Came across one ... Time and location would be within a probability area that I have ... All thou have to look at Henry Lee Lucas whom was in the area at the time as well ... That is one that scares the Bejuzees.. Out of me.

Laporte as a location instead of a true last name is possible ... There is some truth in every lie... However I feel it's not thats just my opinion still look at it as a possibility.

Very interesting article you found wow..

There was only one dismembered not all four ... Please correct if I'm wrong .. My memory is not so great ... Have to be at my laptop to read my information ..

You def tapped on another MO is looking for UID's or crime reports with blunt force trauma. Came across one ... Time and location would be within a probability area that I have ... All thou have to look at Henry Lee Lucas whom was in the area at the time as well ... That is one that scares the Bejuzees.. Out of me.

Laporte as a location instead of a true last name is possible ... There is some truth in every lie... However I feel it's not thats just my opinion still look at it as a possibility.

Very interesting article you found wow..

There was only one dismembered not all four ... Please correct if I'm wrong .. My memory is not so great ... Have to be at my laptop to read my information ..

Not sure if all four were dismembered, but two were. also this article states the woman had native american characteristics but was listed as caucasian. That's interesting considering his daughter is native american as well. Wish I had read that before. Funny how little pieces of info can be so important. Perhaps he got all the women from the same reservation. Was there any overlap in the isotope map? Just adding that this article explains why the other barrel wasn't discovered for some time. The first barrel was found because neighborhood kids had found the barrels and took one and rolled it around. The cover came off, they abandoned it and a couple of hunters stumbled on it and discovered the bodies. They surmise both barrels had been together before the children grabbed the one and rolled it away.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...nues-baffle/I7n4d1NKACqfFhnIwAnVVP/story.html

Not sure if all four were dismembered, but two were. also this article states the woman had native american characteristics but was listed as caucasian. That's interesting considering his daughter is native american as well. Wish I had read that before. Funny how little pieces of info can be so important. Perhaps he got all the women from the same reservation. Was there any overlap in the isotope map? Just adding that this article explains why the other barrel wasn't discovered for some time. The first barrel was found because neighborhood kids had found the barrels and took one and rolled it around. The cover came off, they abandoned it and a couple of hunters stumbled on it and discovered the bodies. They surmise both barrels had been together before the children grabbed the one and rolled it away.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...nues-baffle/I7n4d1NKACqfFhnIwAnVVP/story.html

Believe it was the oldest whom also had native traits per her dental along with Evans child.

Have been looking around at males that are native that went missing... Ya just never know may be a rabbit hole but at least it's worth a look.

Native ancestry is in many of us some are more distinctive features than others.

Truly hope and pray there is some significant evidence that comes to LE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member