NH NH/CA - Terry Peder Rasmussen, suspected SK, Allenstown, 1981-2000's - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if he's a Vietnam veteran who deserted and went to Canada, as tens of thousands of men did. The timeline would fit.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

This is a possibility. President Ford offered an amnesty for Vietnam era deserters in 1974 but there were conditions including 2years public service so many in Canada did not take it. In 1977, President Carter gave a very generous amnesty to draft evaders but it did not cover deserters.

In 1977, a Deserter who was not happy in Canada but had not taken advantage of the 1974 offer would have been arrested and turned over to the Military if he tried to return to the US. It is possible that that a deserter living in Canada might set up a false identity in order to return to the US. The consequences of getting caught would not have that severe however: probably less than a year in the Stockade and a General Discharge. It would not have justified multiple murders.

Apparently about 90,000 draft dodgers went to Canada but only 1,000 deserters. I would think the FBI would be able to identify any that disappeared around 1977 when Evans turned up in Manchester.

This is a possibility. President Ford offered an amnesty for Vietnam era deserters in 1974 but there were conditions including 2years public service so many in Canada did not take it. In 1977, President Carter gave a very generous amnesty to draft evaders but it did not cover deserters.

In 1977, a Deserter who was not happy in Canada but had not taken advantage of the 1974 offer would have been arrested and turned over to the Military if he tried to return to the US. It is possible that that a deserter living in Canada might set up a false identity in order to return to the US. The consequences of getting caught would not have that severe however: probably less than a year in the Stockade and a General Discharge. It would not have justified multiple murders.

Apparently about 90,000 draft dodgers went to Canada but only 1,000 deserters. I would think the FBI would be able to identify any that disappeared around 1977 when Evans turned up in Manchester.

Excellent information! Thank you.

It might be worth mentioning to the powers that be? Here's an interesting article about the Marines still trying to track down Vietnam deserters:
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-03-07-deserter-side_x.htm?csp=34

I feel the same way, so it's not just you :)
Where he was prior to 1977, when he was first known to be in NH, is anyone's guess at this point, until and unless new information surfaces. It's possible that he failed to mention the places he'd been where they'd find his victims, as a way of steering investigators away from them, like he failed to mention NH and became uncomfortable when that detective asked him if he were from back east. I may be going out on a limb here, but I'm thinking it's the places we don't know about that may harbor his darkest earlier secrets, prior to CA.

I agree. I also think he had to be in Florida at some point. I also can't help but feel like he was in Ohio at some point, mainly because of the Bob Evans association.

Of course it wouldn't explain the murders, but it might explain why he showed up more or less out of nowhere in 1977 and kept changing identities.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

That's fine with me. It may not be related, but the circumstances caught my eye, and FL is filled with campgrounds, RV parks and military bases. That's why I was a bit surprised FL wasn't included in his list of places, it's ripe for folks who want to be on the down low and be transient, especially a handyman who could make a living off his trade.
The woman having a child, dying of blunt force trauma, being wrapped in plastic and being concealed are all similar to his other known victims. Just my observation.
It's probably even possible this UID could be the mother of the Allentown adult and oldest child and RE took off with the adult (and then baby sister-later 10 year old) when she was a child, but then I'm not sure how that explains the youngest child.

My personal theory is that, as suggested above, he had military training and may have gone to Canada before 1974, since kemo posted that Ford gave an amnesty for Vietnam era deserters. I think he was originally from pretty much anywhere on the West Coast.

What about this guy? He was added to NamUs 05/15/2017
William Rener, 35, went missing in 1966 while on leave from the military, I'm thinking AF because Langley is in Hampton, VA, where he is listed as missing from. His ears are huuuuge, but he could have had them surgically pinned back after this photo was taken.
Are RE's fingerprints in CODIS? This guy has prints available so it would be an easy comparison if they both are.
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/38175/0

Attachments

• William Rener.jpg
    William Rener.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 158
Just throwing this JD out there, found in FL in 1969 because it reads just like RE's MO. What do you think? I know FL isn't one of his admitted or known locations, but neither was NH (up until recently) Just trying to retrace some of his earlier, unknown steps.
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/661uffl.html

There are a few that are just impossible to say if it's this suspect-unless his timeline can be pinned down to match, and then try to connect the dots.

There are a few that are just impossible to say if it's this suspect-unless his timeline can be pinned down to match, and then try to connect the dots.

Exactly. Thank you. Have they made any progress in pinpointing his whereabouts prior to 1977 that you've heard?

That is what I am wondering too. Those languages would have been an unusual combination to pick up independently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OT: Agree. While in grad school during late 1990s I met an undergrad who had trained there. Apparently he was naval intelligence--the undergrad--but they use more than one instructor. Hence, his accent was Argentinian but gestures while speaking were Central American. He admitted, after I called him out on the discrepancy, to being in naval Intel & having more than one professor. It's intense training. All day, nearly every day for weeks. From what I understand, usually only military intelligence officers who work undercover get access to that sort of training. Of course, he may just have been showing off.

So are all of these aliases pre-Patriot Act? Now your driver's license name has to match with your social security records.

I believe they are. The Patriot Act wasn't passed until Oct. 2001. BE went to prison for the rest of his life in July 2002.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So many weird and bizarre things about this guy.

Who was Robert T Evans?
What kind of childhood did he have?
Who were his parents and why have no family members came forward?
What was he doing prior to 1977?
What was he doing between 1991-2001?
Why makes investigators think he might have spoke Chinese and Arabic?

There are a lot of holes and weird things about this case. He listed his wife as Elizabeth Evans in 1980 around the time the murders might have happened. I wonder how many missing women there are with the name Elizabeth from the 1970s on The Charley Project. Maybe one is the woman who was found in the barrel in 1985.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper